On-site & practice reports | Golden Skate

On-site & practice reports

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Didn't see a thread for this yet.

Who's going to Skate Canada?

How are the practices going?

I arrived in Mississauga tonight, checked into the hotel. I met Liza immediately, got pics & autos! :yahoo:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Oh so jealous!!!

She was looking for an Apple charging cord, I almost pulled mine out of my luggage and handed it to her... but I only brought the one!

First impressions of Mississauga: I've passed through here many times on my way to Toronto, never stopped here. Very industrial, lots of office parks and large hotels. Lots of traffic too -- even at 10PM as I write this, I can hear the traffic quite loudly from the 15th floor (though I have the balcony door cracked open for fresh air).

Haven't ventured out much yet, aside from the CHOP steakhouse/bar across from the hotel. Seems trendy. I will probably see more tomorrow when it's actually light outside... I arrived after it was already dark.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Wellcome to Mississauga Sabinfire! I'll try to arrive tomorrow at the rink around 8 am...Hope I wake up in time...I have a trend of going to bed late...Tomorrow at the rink I'll be up in the sky, sect 19, row Q 103

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Thanks! Anything I should check out while I'm here? Preferably close to the arena. I don't think I'll be venturing out far this week.

I'm in sect 7 myself. That's opposite judges side, which is a rarity for me. Gotta get used to seeing the center ice logo upside-down now.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Thank you everyone who is going in advance for the reports :) watching it on video is one thing but reading it first hand from people who were there is something else :yes:

sabinfire you're so lucky you met Liza :luv17:

Last edited:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Good morning guys! I am at the rink watching ladies. The Paris were impressive especially Megan and Eric/ different level

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I got here toward the end of Pairs. Is traffic always this bad around here? Took me 30 minutes to drive a few miles from the hotel and arena. :mad:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
She was looking for an Apple charging cord, I almost pulled mine out of my luggage and handed it to her... but I only brought the one!
Um. You could have given your cord to her... a priceless, never-to-be-repeated opportunity to earn her gratitude, and live on in her memory (possibly forever) as "that lovely, kind and generous person who helped me out in Canada". You might even have loaned it to her, thereby ensuring another liason with her later, to get it back... (CaroLiza_fan must be quite dismayed about now)

But instead, you kept your cord because "you only brought one". Even though you could surely pop out and get another one quicky and easily tomorrow :-/

I do have to question your judgement on this occasion...! ;-D

Last edited:

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
I got here toward the end of Pairs. Is traffic always this bad around here? Took me 30 minutes to drive a few miles from the hotel and arena. :mad:

Yup.. always bad -can take me upwards of 45+min to get from Winston Churchill to past Dixie on Eglinton.
Where are you staying? Sometimes taking Rathburn is faster than Eglinton if coming from the east. And Rathburn intersects with Central Parkway which turns into Kennedy north of Eglinton which takes you up to Rose Cherry Pl where Hershey Centre is.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Hilton Meadowvale. This morning I took Mississauga road to Brittania to Kennedy. None of the routes my GPS suggested seemed to be clear.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Both Alaine and Kaetlin looked great. If Alaine does all the jumps she did in practice, she could be world champion...

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Medvedeva changed surnames there :laugh: And again. I thought Zhenya was going to burst out laughing there and miss her start.

I love Satoko's last spin but her jumps make me twitch.

Last edited:

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
Hilton Meadowvale. This morning I took Mississauga road to Brittania to Kennedy. None of the routes my GPS suggested seemed to be clear.

Assuming you have a smartphone. Download "Waze" if you aren't using it already. It's a GPS/Traffic app that has traffic plus user input on accidents and such. It will take you on the 'fastest' route generally and re-route you when necessary due to traffic automatically. Timing is pretty accurate.

Brittania is very slow IIRC as (it used to be, but not sure now) 1 lane each way through Streetsville. But once you get to Mavis / McLaughlin (where Heartland Town Centre is -big box stores), you could scoot down to Matheson and take it across right to Hershey Centre.

ETA: I plotted your route on Waze and based on 'current' traffic conditions (at 10:30am), it says to go up to 401 and then exit at Hurontario St South to Brittannia, etc.. 15 min's. You can also go to the Waze live map and do the same thing if you don't want to download the app.

Last edited:
Mirai has stronger SS than Evgenia when they go back to back like that. Clean short program, better expression than ACI which already scored 73...

clippers8200

On the Ice
From Twitter looks like Mirai and Evgenia both had pretty clean skates, although Mirai's rotations were of concern. Poor Nahyun fell on every jumping pass she had in her SP run through :sad4:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
This practice crowd for ice dance is much larger and a lot louder than the actual Free Dance competition at SA. Sadly, I am not exaggerating in the slightest.