On-site & practice reports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

On-site & practice reports

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I like how they invited schools to practice. That's so cool.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
They usually do invite local schools to watch the practices.
I know a few clubs and Western Ontario has their development team there watching as well.

Yes, SA crowd was quiet

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
This practice crowd for ice dance is much larger and a lot louder than the actual Free Dance competition at SA. Sadly, I am not exaggerating in the slightest.

Many of those fans probably are not there for ice dance practice but for the men's practice that follows.

LauraV

On the Ice
A mustache on Paul? :shocked:

He wears it for the SD, I gather.

Does he shave after the SD? At the Challenger event, he had the stache in the SD but not the next day in the FD. Either he grows it back for the next SD, or it's a fake.

Javi did the same thing last season if I recall correctly - goatee in the short, clean shaven in the long.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Many of those fans probably are not there for ice dance practice but for the men's practice that follows.

My two cents:
I would not underestimate the popularity of Tessa and Scott, esp. in Canada.
Many at dance practice prob. wanted to see V/M -- and made a point of attending for that reason.

In general:
For plenty of fans, perhaps the world revolves exclusively around Hanyu (and/or Patrick) -- but not true for plenty of other fans.

Does he shave after the SD? At the Challenger event, he had the stache in the SD but not the next day in the FD. Either he grows it back for the next SD, or it's a fake.

Javi did the same thing last season if I recall correctly - goatee in the short, clean shaven in the long.

In a previous season, Bilodeau shaved his moustache btwn the SP and FS at each comp.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

Yeah, I saw Paul had a mustache for their SD at the Nebelhorn Trophy, but I thought that was a just fake one to imitate the disco style of the 1970s. Like your assumption, he really seems to grow it for the SD and then to plan to shave it after the SD just like Javi's SP last season. :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mirai has stronger SS than Evgenia when they go back to back like that. Clean short program, better expression than ACI which already scored 73...

I'm happy to hear that Mirai is looking good and hopefully feeling confident. I would love nothing more than to see her skate well even if she doesn't get on the podium. This field is so deep that I think a top 5 finish would be great for her.

She went after Miyahara, Osmond, Chartrand (to the poster who predicted world champ... I love Alaine but really? Jump mistakes galore and she didn't do any spins in her runthrough), Evgenia, and Mirai had the strongest SS of any lady here IMO (Osmond is also really good here, Evgenia too but she's noticeably slower?). If Mirai skates like today she's going to be on the podium.

I didn't see it posted but Evgenia did a clean runthrough of her LP with 2 3/3/3 combinations but left some spins out, then Liza's SP music played but she's not at practice, then it was Mirai's SP runthrough (one of the only skaters to do a full runthrough with all of her elements included). I was most impressed with Evgenia, Mirai, and Kaetlyn Osmond.

Last edited:

LauraV

On the Ice
In a previous season, Bilodeau shaved his moustache btwn the SP and FS at each comp.[/QUOTE]

These young men are dedicated to their sport!

LauraV

On the Ice
Yeah, I saw Paul had a mustache for their SD at the Nebelhorn Trophy, but I thought that was a just fake one to imitate the disco style of the 1970s. Like your assumption, he really seems to grow it for the SD and then to plan to shave it after the SD just like Javi's SP last season. :)

It's a good thing Paul looks fairly dapper in his 'stache, since he will be wearing it a lot between competitions....:agree:

MsSweetie

Rinkside
She was looking for an Apple charging cord, I almost pulled mine out of my luggage and handed it to her... but I only brought the one!

First impressions of Mississauga: I've passed through here many times on my way to Toronto, never stopped here. Very industrial, lots of office parks and large hotels. Lots of traffic too -- even at 10PM as I write this, I can hear the traffic quite loudly from the 15th floor (though I have the balcony door cracked open for fresh air).

Haven't ventured out much yet, aside from the CHOP steakhouse/bar across from the hotel. Seems trendy. I will probably see more tomorrow when it's actually light outside... I arrived after it was already dark.

Are you staying at the Hilton Meadowvale? If so, if you turn right on Erin Mills Parkway versus going left, you'll find a far less industrial area. If you have access to a car, or a taxi, I'd suggest one night venturing into Streetsville, which has a bunch of bars and restaurants... it's "the village in the city" and will feel much less industrial, and it's only about a 5-7 minute drive away from the Delta. If you need directions or would like restaurant suggestions, let me know and I will PM you.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
It's a good thing Paul looks fairly dapper in his 'stache, since he will be wearing it a lot between competitions....:agree:

The mustache today looked good on him even in the FD. :) They can always pull surprises for their fans including me. I can't wait to see the dance competition. I never had expectations with this much for ice dancing events.

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
So is this not being streamed? I thought someone said it would be streaming from 8 am, but all I get is a still image with the message "content will be available shortly".

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
So is this not being streamed? I thought someone said it would be streaming from 8 am, but all I get is a still image with the message "content will be available shortly".

I believe if you look at the practice sked., they are on lunch break at the moment. It worked fine this morning (I saw Kaetlyn do 2 back to back 3/3's). More to come this afternoon, Jeff.

Last edited:

MsSweetie

Rinkside
Hilton Meadowvale. This morning I took Mississauga road to Brittania to Kennedy. None of the routes my GPS suggested seemed to be clear.

Avoid the 401 at all costs. Always congested and always under construction.

Once you get out of the Hilton parking lot, get onto Erin Mills Parkway and turn left onto Mississauga Road, which will turn into Queen Street. Turn left onto Britannia Road and then turn tight onto Terry Fox Way, then turn left onto Matheson Blvd... Take Matheson all the way until you hit Rose Cherry Place. It sounds like it'll take longer but it's a little more off the beaten path and shouldn't take as long.