2016 Skate Canada Pairs FP | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Pairs FP

Ilvskating

Final Flight
As much as how unprofessional and unfair the repairing supposedly occurred, I have to say that this could be one bet that the Chinese Fed might have made correct. Peng is now landing all her jumps and throws, Yu now has higher elevation on her throws and twist, and Zhang seems somewhat softer as opposed to when he was skating with both Zhang Dan and Peng. Curious to see what happens next; as much as the performance was beautiful, "beautiful" doesn't scoop top scores anymore like in the Shen/Zhao era, and a quad twist should be in the works if they even hope to be a match to the top pairs.

Edit: Curious as to why they downgraded the technical, as a 3T and 2A-2A garners more BV than a 3T-2T and 2A. Maybe Zhang is too old? Either way, they should play to the maximum of their strengths, or this new pairing isn't worth it.

Yu was practicing 3S in practice session, she also mentioned that the earliest upcoming upgrade for technical difficulty could be in jumps. So it makes sense for them to use 2A as place holder for the 3S instead of changing both jumping passes later.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Really, really solid program, but I just can't even look at Hao Zhang. The audience was very cool to them, too.

I watched it live in the arena. The audience actually reacted quite warmly during the big element and when they finished. The audience was very quiet when they skated I couldn`t hear any talking as it was often the case, and the quietness was only interrupted by wows during their big elements. They got partial stand ovation at the end and loud applauses. Personally I was just mesmerized and I had goose bumps when they skated. People around me were all very impressed and they are hardcore skating fans, former skaters and even a judge. So I`d say the audience loved their performance as far as I feel.