2016 Skate Canada Men's LP | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Men's LP

viennaskater

Medalist
I found Chan's performance flat and uninspiring which was exacerbated by the equally monotonous music choice. Some of the jump GOE's of Chan baffled me but I can't say I'm surprised. Let's just say each time Chan miraculously lands a 3A it automatically receives 2's and 3's. In fact that kind of quality on a 3A would be lucky to receive 1's if landed by other skaters.

Agreed. Glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

viennaskater

Medalist
Kevin Reynolds

Dressed like a 19th century vampire which makes sense if he's skating to Dracula. Smart move on his part, he's a good character skater. Some scratchy landings and a fall, but nothing horrific and he never drops character. Step sequences are a strong point for Kevin. The music is a plodding, but that helps cover up some of the lack of choreo in some parts. Again, smart.

Nice to see him skating and happy again. :yes:

Saw him at the Ondrej Nepela Trophy earlier this month in Bratislava and liked this LP then - love it now!! Great music choice!

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Agreed. Glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

Well, Hanyu got 1.2 and 1.7 for his perfect 3A combos and Patrick 2.2 for his solo 3A. Give Hanyu 2.5 on his 3A combos, Patrick 1 on his 3A and it already makes the diffrence on who wins overall

viennaskater

Medalist
Well, Hanyu got 1.2 and 1.7 for his perfect 3A combos and Patrick 2.2 for his solo 3A. Give Hanyu 2.5 on his 3A combos, Patrick 1 on his 3A and it already makes the diffrence on who wins overall

I don't bother scrutinizing the scores, I just watch the program and rate it on how it makes me feel. With regard to Hanyu, I could watch him all day.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No matter how hard I try, I cannot enjoy his skating. I find it soulless and I am therefore always left completely unmoved. And it is not as if this LP was faultless - far from it.

Have you ever just watched his feet?? I know his program isn't faultless but hoping it will be spectacular in time.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I didn't watch all of the men's fs, but my take was

Misha Ge : For someone with such a balletic upper body, he has a hard time extending his knees properly, especially in the arabesque spin that looks quite awkward when he does it. He looks like he really believes in the program but honestly the middle part is a bit empty and he kinda lets the great music do the job for him there. Otherwise, heartfelt choreography and very nice touch to put the fouettes at the end.

Daniel Samohin : I loved his SP and was gutted by his early fall. looks like it took him a while to recover. He needs a bit more speed to match his showman spunkiness. I liked the costume very much.

Patrick Chan : the first minute was great. When he hits, he's like a masterful painting creating itself on the ice. His choreography has some slightly awkward elbow movements though.

Yuzuru Hanyu : his choice of clunky boots frustrates me. He's better than that, his SS are better than that. I was looking at a few 2009-2010 videos earlier, and his skating appeared much smoother when he was wearing more 'regular' boots. I know they help with his jumps, but every time the jumps fail, I wonder 'what's the point?' Also, I think he said he's taking ballet classes at Toronto since he arrived there. If that is true, he needs to fire his ballet teacher because absolutely nothing came out of it.

Michal Brezina : my first time watching him skate. I liked him even more than Misha's. Nice high jumps when successful. Liked the leather on the costume. Can't argue with ennio morricone music. He was very focused, but his body is musical enough that it didn't hinder his expression on ice. Boots look like a good compromise between regular and modern technology.

Last edited:

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Have you ever just watched his feet?? I know his program isn't faultless but hoping it will be spectacular in time.

There is no denying Patrick's SS and I think he does skate well to his music. When I think about his programs I've seen, I don't remember it much because there is little to no feeling attached to it to me like @viennaskater, (well, not bland as some others but it just doesn't stir anything, except the appreciation for his SS :biggrin: ). Misha Ge doesn't have Patrick's SS but his Nutcracker was all the more memorable to me at SCI because I was moved by it. I felt the gentleness of Yuzuru's LP and the intensity of Rika's sp. :hap10: But I guess, if he gets his Journey LP all together it may leave more of an impact to me (I only like this program because of the music and his feet :laugh:).

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Yuzuru Hanyu : his choice of clunky boots frustrates me. He's better than that, his SS are better than that. I was looking at a few 2009-2010 videos earlier, and his skating appeared much smoother when he was wearing more 'regular' boots. I know they help with his jumps, but every time the jumps fail, I wonder 'what's the point?' Also, I think he said he's taking ballet classes at Toronto since he arrived there. If that is true, he needs to fire his ballet teacher because absolutely nothing came out of it.

You seem to know about ballet. May I ask you, why do you feel that Yuzuru's ballet classes have had no impact? Asking as someone who is not as knowledgeable about ballet.

Meoima

Match Penalty
His clunky boots do not just help Yuzuru with his jump but also have an anti-shock system to help him with his ankle, the main goal is to protect him from getting bad injury again.
Anyways, many people who have studied ballet said they think Yuzuru's posture has improved. He can never be a "balletic danger" but he is not noodle anymore. This sport, after all, is not ballet.