2016 Rostelecom Cup Livestream & TV | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016 Rostelecom Cup Livestream & TV

ribbit

On the Ice
But Weir at least is trying to communicate with viewers who want to see skating. (I don't care that he does not know proper NASCAR lingo. Neither do I.)

NBCSN has taken the trouble to tweet about the NASCAR delay and about what's coming next.
NBCSN has completely ignored the fact that a different audience rightfully expected to see skating. NBCSN should have tweeted an apology that b/c of a weather delay beyond its control, previously announced skating coverage is being pre-empted.

I am not sure, but I suspect that whatever is coming up next is not live.
So I believe that NBCSN is making a choice to blow off Rostelecom tonight -- instead of blowing off something else. I don't like that decision, but it's not what really bugs me.
What bugs me is that NBCSN can't even be bothered to say a word to its skating audience. That is what I hope Weir will get to the bottom of.

(I used to work for a national TV network. I understand that scheduling conundrums related to live coverage, e.g., of a sporting event, can pop up. It is the lack of communication from NBCSN that is inexcusable, IMO.)

I find this part the most chilling. They expect a skating audience to tune in for scheduled programming, but clearly feel no obligation to communicate what happened to the missing coverage. Is it pre-empted, rescheduled, etc.? So sad, I fear for the remaining coverage this season. :(

I completely agree. It was incredibly frustrating not to be able to find any information at all about the switch--even on NBC's own website, where NBC Sports continued to feature a "Watch Live" link that went to the NASCAR race instead and several links in their stories about Rostelecom Cup. I checked their Facebook page, their Twitter account, you name it. Surely the very least they could have done would have been to update their website and its links, once they made the decision to bump their skating coverage.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Btw, who cares about Rostelecom Cup 3 weeks from now?

Skate America already feels like ancient history, and I was actually there just 2 weeks ago...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Finally ... an UPDATE from @USFigureSkating:
Sunday's scheduled #CoR16 coverage will now air Tuesday night from 7-8:30 p.m. ET on @NBCSN.
9:27 AM - 7 Nov 2016
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/795678981177614336

Better than nothing, but Tuesday of course will be Election Night.
Some of us will be distracted wondering about the future of our country.

... It doesn't surprise me that they're skipping straight back to regular scheduled after the race finishes. They've already likely destroyed their schedule with the rain delay, trying to make up programming would just kill them further.

For the record:
- After the NASCAR race ended at approx. midnight (ET), NBCSN did NOT return to its regularly scheduled programming.
- What NBCSN showed immediately after NASCAR was other programming (Mecom Auctions) that also had been pre-empted by the delayed NASCAR race.​

The original time slot for Mecom Auctions was 7:30 pm on Sunday. (Hat tip to CoolGuy at FSU.)
So NBCSN did make some immediate accommodation for fans of Mecom Auctions who did not get to see it at its originally scheduled time.

I understand that NBCSN is a business, and that it made a business decision as to which pre-empted programming took priority.
[I'm sure that advertising revenue and contractual obligations (and/or lack thereof) were considerations in the decision.]

But NBCSN did not make the effort to even tweet once to skating fans who were left hanging.
How hard would that have been?
As sabinfire said (I'm paraphrasing), NBCSN's lack of effort sent a signal that it really did not give a cr*p about skating fans. That is the issue for me.

Fleshing out what sabinfire alluded to last night, the original NBSC schedule for Sunday/early Monday was:
Sunday
6:00 PM NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Post Race "Texas" LIVE
6:30 PM NASCAR Victory Lap LIVE
7:30 PM Mecum Auto Auctions "Dallas" NEW
10:00 PM Figure Skating "ISU Grand Prix: Rostelecom Cup"
11:30 PM Sports Jeopardy!​
Today
12:00 AM Sports Jeopardy!
12:30 AM Premier League Match of the Day NEW TV-G
1:30 AM Premier League Match of the Week NEW TV-G
3:00 AM Red Skelton
3:30 AM Gaither's Homecoming Hymns
4:00 AM Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, George Jones
4:30 AM Johnny Carson and Friends
5:00 AM Body Beast!
5:30 AM Ninja Coffee Bar System with Sofia Vergara- Don't Wait In Long Lines For Expensive Coffee
6:00 AM LifeLock Protection
6:30 AM LifeLock Protection​
http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do?aid=nbcsports

Btw, who cares about Rostelecom Cup 3 weeks from now?...

I believe that NBC hopes that on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, it will benefit from some non-fans (or only casual fans) of skating who won't realize that it has been three weeks since Rostelecom. (And two weeks since Trophee de France, which also gets an hour of NBC coverage on Nov 26.)

FWIW, NBC apparently has gotten good ratings for its annual Thanksgiving Day airing of taped dog show coverage.
I like dogs, so I sometimes watch some of it. When I do, I am a casual viewer who understands that it is taped, but I usually do not know -- and do not care -- how long ago it was taped.
(I did look up the dates for 2015: The dog show took place on Sat-Sun Nov 14-15. The taped coverage did not air until Thanksgiving Day on Nov 26. The gap is smaller for 2016.)

NBC is trying something new this year by airing majorly-delayed taped coverage of two GPs on post-Thanksgiving Saturday.

FWIW, I think the NBC Sports Group intended to appeal to more serious skating fans by airing more timely (relatively speaking) Sunday coverage on NBSCN the day after Rostelecom ended.
(Similarly, Sunday afternoon NBCSN coverage of Trophee de France is scheduled for the day after the competition concludes. Hoping that NBCSN will have no reason for another pre-emption.)

... And trust me, the drivers a thousand times more frustrated by the rain delays than we are.

Sure. Absolutely does not absolve NBCSN from its failure to lift a finger to inform skating fans about a change to its schedule for skating programming.
None of us are or ever were blaming the NASCAR drivers for anything. Or NASCAR viewers, for that matter. The rain delay was nobody's fault.

"It is what it is" is usually my attitude toward what networks do or don't do re skating coverage.
I usually am the last person to complain.
But NBCSN really dropped the ball in this case.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sure. Absolutely does not absolve NBCSN from its failure to lift a finger to inform skating fans about a change to its schedule for skating programming.
None of us are or ever were blaming the NASCAR drivers for anything. Or NASCAR viewers, for that matter. The rain delay was nobody's fault.

Sure, we'll just let slide disparaging sneers like referring to it as "car driving". Or "NeckCAR" as I saw at least one other skating fan do.

Sorry, but this one's got my hackles up in a big way. If NASCAR fans talked about skating half as poorly as skating fans have about NASCAR over the last 24 hours you guys would be up in arms.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sure, we'll just let slide disparaging sneers like referring to it as "car driving". Or "NeckCAR" as I saw at least one other skating fan do.

Sorry, but this one's got my hackles up in a big way. If NASCAR fans talked about skating half as poorly as skating fans have about NASCAR over the last 24 hours you guys would be up in arms.

But you're letting off steam about skating fans who have not been in this thread, right?
Just want to be clear that none of us in this thread have made disparaging remarks about NASCAR drivers or fans.
The griping in this thread has been against NBCSN.
If Rostelecom had been pre-empted for coverage of a rain-delayed triathlon (for example), I still would have expected NBCSN to tweet something to skating fans. If NBCSN did not communicate with skating fans, I still would be complaining about NBCSN. My complaint would have nothing to do with triathletes or with fans of triathlon.

I did quote Weir's tweet that mentioned "car driving."
I didn't take "car driving" as a sneer. I took it as clumsy (but not malevolent) wording from someone (like me) who knows next to nothing about NASCAR.
Is "car driving" some kind of well-established offensive catch-phrase that is in common usage??? If so, I had no idea. Sorry if I have been living under a rock, but I would venture to guess that Weir just has been living under a rock too.
As you know, I am by no means a Weir groupie. When I have had opinions on assorted topics related to him, I always have just called 'em as I see 'em. In some cases, I have disagreed with him and criticized him (leading others on GS [not you] to accuse me of being a Weir-hater). OTOH, in other cases, I have found nothing objectionable in his words/behavior, although others have.
In this case, I do give him the benefit of the doubt that he meant no harm.

Changing the subject and cross-posting from the no-spoilers thread ...

Re the ISU Eurovision Channel:

Just came across this ISU FB post that spells out the differences in geo-blocking for its live streaming vs. its video on demand.
The geo-blocking for VOD is less restrictive than for live streaming.

#GPFigure will be available live on the ISU Skating Channel for limited territories. After the event it will open up for more countries.

👉 http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/isu/ 👈

Due to current broadcast agreements live streams and videos on-demand (VODs) will be geoblocked in certain territories.

❌ Live streams geoblocked in: Canada, China, Europe, Kazakhstan, Japan, Republic of Korea, Central & Latin America, Taiwan, Australia, Singapore, and USA.

VODs geoblocked in: Canada, China, Republic of Korea, Japan, and USA.

https://www.facebook.com/isufigures...007411190874/1308513779173560/?type=3&theater (Nov 4)​

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
I'm checking out a NBC SN stream to see Tara and Johnny's coverage, and it seems like it's getting bumped for NASCAR... interestingly enough the tv listings don't even have a NASCAR race listed so I wonder what happened there.

http://nowwatchtvlive.co/watch-nbc-sport-networks-live-online-nbc-sport-networks-usa/

Bump, this should be on in about an hour now.

--------

And somewhat related to a conversation tangent earlier, NASCAR gets much better ratings than figure skating... but last week there were plenty of people complaining on twitter about the end interviews for an F-1 racing being cut off for figure skating and figure skating got about 200k more viewers(and the same thing happened the week earlier). I also found it interesting how way more people tweeted about NASCAR bumping figure skating than typically tweets during a figure skating competitions.

Last edited: