2016 Rostelecom Cup Livestream & TV | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Rostelecom Cup Livestream & TV

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Only getting NASCAR here too. Guess I'll just watch Westworld instead...

ribbit

On the Ice
I have the same problem. The NBC sports streaming app (the online version) says "coverage to begin shortly", so perhaps they're planning to show it once the NASCAR has finished...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lolling you guys getting trolled by NASCAR :laugh:

I'm stuck at work so :p

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The NASCAR race suffered a significant rain delay.

It's not like the coverage is going to be pretty, guys. Weir is going to have an absolute field day with Max's performance. I can practically hear the glee in his voice already when Max's SP score comes up.

ribbit

On the Ice
I will be :tantrum::curse::gaah: if it turns out that Rostelecom was aired during the NASCAR rain delay. They wouldn't do that to us, would they?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I will be :tantrum::curse::gaah: if it turns out that Rostelecom was aired during the NASCAR rain delay. They wouldn't do that to us, would they?

I hope not.
From the little that NBCSN tweeted, I think that they aired an old NASCAR race during the rain delay.

And .... they're talking now about another likely rain delay.
Meanwhile, earlier they had promoted that a post-race show would air after the race is finished. :sad4:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This could work out well for me. I work about another 1hr and 20 mins. How many laps are left?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

If the delay was time-certain - a scheduled break in the race - they would probably air a program like Rostelecom.

But when the delay is time-uncertain - such as rain delays in NASCAR - they will resort to showing old races or such. The reason is simply because they do not know when the race will start again. It may well be that this delay is a passing rain band that is gone in fifteen minutes, and the Air Titans do a good job of drying the track, and so they're off again. In which case, if they'd gone to Rostelecom, they'd either have to cut Rostelecom short or miss some of the racing. A lose-lose situation which no broadcaster wants.

And trust me, the drivers a thousand times more frustrated by the rain delays than we are.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
NBCSN just tweeted a promo for non-skating programming coming up after NASCAR tonight.

Johnny Weir's tweet from approx. 30 min. ago:
Guys I am so sorry you're missing the skating due to car driving. I will get to the bottom of it, but the event will be aired in a few weeks
https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/795478091623710720

NBC (not NBCSN) already was scheduled to have an hour of Rostelecom coverage on Nov 26 (yes, Nov 26).
Not clear whether that is why Weir refers to "in a few weeks" -- or whether he is talking about getting NBCSN to reschedule its ninety minutes of coverage.

Anyway, my respect to Johnny for acknowledging the glitch re skating.
NBCSN and USFS have not acknowledged it, AFAIK.

[BTW, for karne: Thx for your insights re NASCAR. The NBCSN coverage scheduled for tonight was billed as men's and ladies freeskates. So we could have skipped right ahead to The Lion King :).]

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
NBCSN just tweeted a promo for non-skating programming coming up after NASCAR tonight.

Guys I am so sorry you're missing the skating due to car driving. I will get to the bottom of it, but the event will be aired in a few weeks

Of course Weir would say something as nonsensically stupid as this. "car driving", indeed. :rolleye: You'll "get to the bottom of it"? What, are you going to go scold the weather gods for unloading the rain over the speedway?

It doesn't surprise me that they're skipping straight back to regular scheduled after the race finishes. They've already likely destroyed their schedule with the rain delay, trying to make up programming would just kill them further.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
It doesn't surprise me that they're skipping straight back to regular scheduled after the race finishes. They've already likely destroyed their schedule with the rain delay, trying to make up programming would just kill them further.

Yes, god forbid anyone misses Sports Jeopardy at midnight on a Monday morning.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, god forbid anyone misses Sports Jeopardy at midnight on a Monday morning.

Honest question: have you ever seen a log schedule for a broadcast day? Have you ever seen the work that goes into producing one? And then putting it to air, down the back?

Every slight movement in the schedule causes chaos later on. It's not easy.

ribbit

On the Ice

NBC (not NBCSN) already was scheduled to have an hour of Rostelecom coverage on Nov 26 (yes, Nov 26).
Not clear whether that is why Weir refers to "in a few weeks" -- or whether he is talking about getting NBCSN to reschedule its ninety minutes of coverage.

Anyway, my respect to Johnny for acknowledging the glitch re skating.
NBCSN and USFS have not acknowledged it, AFAIK.

Thanks, icecoverage, for this update--I searched for information at 10 when Rostelecom should have started but found nothing. The results and videos thread it is!

If the delay was time-certain - a scheduled break in the race - they would probably air a program like Rostelecom.

But when the delay is time-uncertain - such as rain delays in NASCAR - they will resort to showing old races or such. The reason is simply because they do not know when the race will start again. It may well be that this delay is a passing rain band that is gone in fifteen minutes, and the Air Titans do a good job of drying the track, and so they're off again. In which case, if they'd gone to Rostelecom, they'd either have to cut Rostelecom short or miss some of the racing. A lose-lose situation which no broadcaster wants.

And trust me, the drivers a thousand times more frustrated by the rain delays than we are.

And seconding icecoverage's thanks, karne, for this explanation. Figure skating is the only sport I regularly watch on television--I have no idea how motorsports are organized, let alone how television covers them.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
NBCSN flips over to infomercials in a couple hours: country music by Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, etc. Body Beast! Ninja Coffee Bar System with Sofia Vergara. Something tells me there's very little work going into the overnight coverage.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Of course Weir would say something as nonsensically stupid as this. "car driving", indeed. :rolleye: You'll "get to the bottom of it"? What, are you going to go scold the weather gods for unloading the rain over the speedway?

But Weir at least is trying to communicate with viewers who want to see skating. (I don't care that he does not know proper NASCAR lingo. Neither do I.)

NBCSN has taken the trouble to tweet about the NASCAR delay and about what's coming next.
NBCSN has completely ignored the fact that a different audience rightfully expected to see skating. NBCSN should have tweeted an apology that b/c of a weather delay beyond its control, previously announced skating coverage is being pre-empted.

I am not sure, but I suspect that whatever is coming up next is not live.
So I believe that NBCSN is making a choice to blow off Rostelecom tonight -- instead of blowing off something else. I don't like that decision, but it's not what really bugs me.
What bugs me is that NBCSN can't even be bothered to say a word to its skating audience. That is what I hope Weir will get to the bottom of.

(I used to work for a national TV network. I understand that scheduling conundrums related to live coverage, e.g., of a sporting event, can pop up. It is the lack of communication from NBCSN that is inexcusable, IMO.)

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
What bugs me is that NBCSN can't even be bothered to say a word to its skating audience. That is what I hope Weir will get to the bottom of.

I find this part the most chilling. They expect a skating audience to tune in for scheduled programming, but clearly feel no obligation to communicate what happened to the missing coverage. Is it pre-empted, rescheduled, etc.? So sad, I fear for the remaining coverage this season. :(