2016 Rostelecom Cup Short Dance | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2016 Rostelecom Cup Short Dance

TGee

Record Breaker
Because that's the standard they set. Did B/S cross that threshold? No. If they did, they should get it. That's why they have record. You can break record, you just can't be given a record. They are given record scores here.

Uhm, I believe that there was new ISU rules and guidance on Program Component Scoring in the last two seasons.

If if you feel compelled to establish a threshold benchmark (which IMO is not appropriate), you might wish to figure out what Davis and White's PCS would translate to under current norms.

elif

Medalist
Weaver/Poje's short dance is very good. Only hip-hop of the year. I know many claims they are skating hip hop but only Weaver/Poje made dance look like real. Very good for them. I like new twizzles as well. They lost two level there, almost 3 points. But llok more polished element overall.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Not a huge fan of the SD as I find a lot of the time it's just mashing two styles together with little connection.

From watching these SD's I realise I am not a fan of Hip Hop in Ice Dance, it just doesn't work, everything feels so jarring. When C/B came on the scene first I really liked their skating but as each season goes by I like them less. Didn't like the SD and don't like their FD but as they (nearly) always hit the levels they will score big. I'm a B/S fan so am always glad to see them doing well, this was a definite improvement on their SA performance, again I found the music change a bit messy. It felt like two separate programmes within the one but I did like it.

I am getting a bit worried for W/P. I have always been a fan of their past work with Krylova/Camerlengo but I think the judges have moved on from them. They finished last season as the Canadian No. 1's but they are potentially now number 3, G/P have really pushed on. I didn't like their SD but they made some errors which cost them levels, hopefully they can skate a good FD. Morozov was his usual OTT self at the boards a definite 10 for PE!

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
The Canadian made a wrong move to come here.
You mean that they made a mistake coming to COR? If so, then I have to say that it was not their mistake as they had no choice. Skaters don't decide at which GP events to compete - the host federations invite skaters to their GP events. The only exceptions are World gold and silver medallists - the gold medallists can choose which two events they want, and then the silver medallists can choose from the remaining four events - the bronze medallists are left with the last two events, as there can't be more than one Worlds medallist from each discipline in a GP, except if two of the World medallists are from the same country which also happens to be a host country for a GP event, and that host country decides to use two of their host spots on both of their Worlds medalling skaters. But actually in most cases it's more like just one event that the gold and silver medallists can choose, as the Worlds medallists usually come from one of the GP host countries, and those countries almost always invite their World medallist skaters to their GP events - and rarely who refuses such an invitation. In all reality, neither the gold, nor silver medallists want to choose an event where they know one of their main rivals (who did not medal at last Worlds or skipped those Worlds/a whole season or two) will be (because the GP is in their country), so that makes the "choices" even less like real choices. But other skaters don't have even those choices/options.

Edit: I edited the part about GP host countries and the World medallists in their host spots, as I remembered it wrong when I first wrote it.

I believe they felt like they didn't have much choice? They wouldn't want to move to Montreal to train with V/M and P/C, as well as P/I who are number 4 for Canada, or to Scarboro to skate with G/P, or to Michigan to train with Marina and the Shibs or Igor and C/B.
Reportedly, W/P actually went to Zoueva first, and she took them, but then offered them a style that they could not accept for themselves and did not want to budge in regard to that when they asked, so they left her. And reportedly they asked Carol Lane to take them at some point, but she refused (no surprise here really, as she seems to be so devoted to Gilles/Poirier). So finally they had no choice left, but to go to Morozov who was willing to take them.

I also found myself disappointed that it didn't turn out to be a Michael Jackson program. If I was a coach/choreographer/skater, I'd be all about that Thriller. So much fun!
In what sense this is not a Michael Jackson program :scratch2:? Do you mean because the moves are not exacly like Jackson? If you mean the music, then the blues part is a cover of Jackson's 'The Way You Make Me Feel', and the two other songs are Jackson too. 'Thriller' is not the only song that he ever wrote and/or sang, you know.

Last edited: