2016 Rostelecom Cup - Pairs SP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2016 Rostelecom Cup - Pairs SP

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Why did Savchenko/Massot remove the awesome twist exit??? That was such an important part of the choreography and also the interpretation of the music, particularly since it came right after the lyric of "twisting around on the carousel". Will be really disappointed if they have removed it permanently.

I believe I read somewhere that it was due to judge feedback from their earlier comp, but I can't cite definite sources. sigh. I agree that it was great.

ETA: Found it. Was a tweet by Jackie Wong:
some judges gave them negative GOEs because of the catch, the woman's body having contact with more than the man's hands is -GOE

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That's really dumb, it was obvious they had control of the twist and are doing something difficult. Instead of relenting to bad judging, they should keep it and the judges should be told to mark it as the quality element and superb choreography that it is. The program doesn't feel as special anymore.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Sasha's appearance as a coach here is a very nice surprise to me! :love: I am sure he will be a good pairs coach in the near future. :)

Natalia and Alexander are such an appealing couple on/off ice that I am glad to see them leading in the SP. :love::clap: Hopefully they can deliver in the FS. :cheer2:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't understand why the Germans were so overmarked with their errors; I know quality but then one can hold up the Canadians more too. Surprising that Russia is still competitive with like their sixth best team lol.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I believe I read somewhere that it was due to judge feedback from their earlier comp, but I can't cite definite sources. sigh. I agree that it was great.

ETA: Found it. Was a tweet by Jackie Wong:

That's really dumb, it was obvious they had control of the twist and are doing something difficult. Instead of relenting to bad judging, they should keep it and the judges should be told to mark it as the quality element and superb choreography that it is. The program doesn't feel as special anymore.

I don't think Jackie's right: all 7 judges at Nebelhorn gave them positive GOEs ranging from 1 to 3 with the majority at +2 or +3. I suspect that they took it out because they only got a level 2 on it. Catching the woman and only making contact with her waist before setting her down is a feature which they obviously can't get when she's spinning around his body. They'll need to add a tano variation and a difficult entrance to get a level 4 twist with that exit.

I agree with both of you though--it was such an awesome touch. In an era where everyone's perfecting the art of code whoring to win, the ISU should really be encouraging when teams take a risk like this to do something new and original. It makes the sport more exciting.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm not sure exactly what they are counting as a difficult entrance for Pairs, but they did do many steps leading into the Twist at Nebelhorn. Is that really not enough?

QuadThrow

Medalist
I don't think Jackie's right: all 7 judges at Nebelhorn gave them positive GOEs ranging from 1 to 3 with the majority at +2 or +3. I suspect that they took it out because they only got a level 2 on it. Catching the woman and only making contact with her waist before setting her down is a feature which they obviously can't get when she's spinning around his body. They'll need to add a tano variation and a difficult entrance to get a level 4 twist with that exit.

I agree with both of you though--it was such an awesome touch. In an era where everyone's perfecting the art of code whoring to win, the ISU should really be encouraging when teams take a risk like this to do something new and original. It makes the sport more exciting.

I totally agree. They have never got level 4. Maybe she is too high that Bruno cannot catch her fast enough. So they touch each other.

I think the current entrance is superb. I fits the music very well. So come on judges. Gave them at least level 3.

The tano twist looks artificial. It is a move ob
only to get points.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I'm not sure exactly what they are counting as a difficult entrance for Pairs, but they did do many steps leading into the Twist at Nebelhorn. Is that really not enough?

I don't think so. The two features I would give them without a doubt are 1) the split twist and 2) man's arms below shoulder level after the release.

Here's Tarasova & Morozov's level 4 twist from this past Skate America: https://youtu.be/4Rpa3Kv_CyM?t=61

They don't do a tano twist so they're credited for the remaining 4 features including the difficult entrance. These steps are more complicated and closer to the twist; maybe the tech panel think Savchenko & Massot wait too long and reset before the twist. I do think the German's steps are more musical though.

The tano twist looks artificial. It is a move ob
only to get points.

I agree. It's such an ugly variation.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
In that case, the rule clearly needs to be changed and credit a difficult exit as a feature. Doing a full-body dance lift like they did after the twist is hardly easy. And for the time being every judge should be instructed to give it +3 when they performed it like they did at Nebelhorn, because it was glorious. Only getting a level 2 should be okay if they are getting all +3 GOE and getting a choreography+interpretation boost for it.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Thanks, gravy. Should have checked it out before repeating convos on Twitter! Still I agree that it was so impressive and I was waiting for it at COR and it never came. :sad21:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I guess we will have to see what happens in the long. I don't know if the scoring was terrible. Just not what I expected. S/M and, especially, S/B missed a lot of points.

I am so impressed by the amplitude of S and M's elements. he is so strong. I think it is a great program for them; I am not entirely sold on them as a couple or team but the competition this year is relatively low so they could win worlds. Meaning the chinese are restarting or recovering and it is a bloodbath in Russia with all their injuries or pregnancies. I mean their top team right now is really no. 4 in Russia.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Half-watching performances at work. What a shocking (pleasantly) SP result! Looking at the protocols, lots of these pairs need to be hitting their levels. With how stunning it is, why aren't Aliona and Bruno doing a level 4? Missed levels on spins, steps, lifts, death spirals....all over the place for all of these teams. I expect a level 2 twist from Valentina and Ondrej but not some of these other pairs.

IMO, these types of mistakes will separate them from D/R and Sui/Han, and probably Stolbova/Klimov and Yu/Zhang as well.

Then again, Seguin/Bilodeau were hitting their levels much better at SA.

S and M are getting amazing scores and seem to be the darlings of the skating world now. They do have some huge elements - twist and throw. And almost on the throw triple axel ; I just don't find them clicking really well and she has better ss than him. She wants the 3Ath and she will get it but at what cost I am not sure. It looks like pairs is going the way of men - BV or big tricks with errors because they have such huge BV can really make up for other deficiencies. I am just worried someone is going to get very seriously hurt or the quality of skating will drop as a result. S and B were a huge disappointment here and might miss GP final. I was so getting into this team but they were rather ho hum here. Not the greatest competition - weird that Russia does not have a team here that has at least gone to world's or won a GP event medal. Dire straits? Still they are bringing it. Huge falls from S and M and S and B. SPLAT! Let's see if they get it together especially S and B who do not have the advantage of S and M of being as strong or pcs friendly or generous:)