2016 Rostelecom Cup Ladies FS | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2016 Rostelecom Cup Ladies FS

yyyskate

Record Breaker
first, Zijun is not particular slow in her FS at lease comparing to her previous 2 seasons. 2nd, her coach is not Lu Chen's. she is training without a coach since the start of this season.

qwertyskates

Medalist
first, Zijun is not particular slow in her FS at lease comparing to her previous 2 seasons. 2nd, her coach is not Lu Chen's. she is training without a coach since the start of this season.

Exactly, she wasn't slow this time, she didn't show lack of stamina, she was PERCEIVED as slow. Neither was she powerful like Daleman or Sotnikova, but then she isn't a power skater, but a lyrical one.

Perception = Reality and Zijun received the Perception PCS.

Skating to a Death/Requiem theme can be very passionate and emotionally soaring, eg. BlackSwan, or operas like Madam Butterfly, Medea evoke the universally moving experience at the threshold of Life/Death. However, this music didn't do that for all audiences because its power lies in its meaning and lyrics, its sound is sad but it lacks the emotional power of operatic arias.

This is the reason why warhorses are chosen for performances - even in a foreign language like Italian, they fulfill the criteria of providing a special experience, a narrative to an international audience, a beginning, middle and end, their complexity in tempo, cadence, melody, orchestration, etc. provide rich accents to choreograph different moves to, highlighting technical elements like jumps and spins, their power to move and to evoke intense emotions help to carry the emotional impact throughout the performance even when skaters take a breather and did simpler moves, eg. crossovers to set up jumps like Lena here, while keeping an expressive upper-body performance, a strategy totally acceptable to the judges and do not affect their PCS scores.

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Exactly, she wasn't slow this time,

She was slower than most of the others, check out the live reports thread.

Anyway, I did perceive her as both slow and lacking in stamina, I think she needs more strength but if this is the thing she needs to work on, then it's hardly an issue, especially as she has improved already. Lovely skater, hope we see much more from her.

qwertyskates

Medalist
She was slower than most of the others, check out the live reports thread.

Anyway, I did perceive her as both slow and lacking in stamina, I think she needs more strength but if this is the thing she needs to work on, then it's hardly an issue, especially as she has improved already. Lovely skater, hope we see much more from her.

Interesting..coming after Yura and Elizabet, Zijun might have looked slower because her program is performed to a Chinese Requiem. Perception is also relative. Again, I stress that she is lyrical, not powerful. However, I felt that Elena was as slow or even slower than Zijun and had an emptier skate with many crossovers and mistakes but nobody else perceived it or talked about it except for the very noticeable fall and poor landings. Certainly not the judges. Most here thought she still deserved the Silver, and there's no controversy there. The music certainly helped, especially the Aria in the second half when she did mostly crossovers and jumps, and struggled with mistakes, yet no one talked about Elena running out of steam. This is why I propose that if we switch music (thank god for Youtube), we can actually see how Zijun in reality skated compared to Elena.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
Interesting..coming after Yura and Elizabet, Zijun might have looked slower because her program is performed to a Chinese Requiem. Perception is also relative.

That's true. What's also interesting is that some posters I'm seeing who are so quick to defend Li have not been as kind to other skaters who struggled with similar issues.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The pot calls the kettle black. :)

Anna, Julia, Zijun, Courtney, Elizabet are of great importance in the discussion, but for Elena, not so much although she won the silver. She really needs to make a redemption at Cup of China. Interestingly, Zijun, Courtney will be there too.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
anybody getting file could not be played for russian streams never had a problem before

stella luna

Final Flight
Of the Ladies, they only showed the short where I live. Oh, well. Maybe on Thanksgiving.

NBCSN aired a 90-minute Rostelecom broadcast on Tuesday. NBC will air an hour of highlights closer to Thanksgiving (I don't have the exact times at hand).

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
It's not very often NBC shows a last place finish... even from an American skater!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
That's true. What's also interesting is that some posters I'm seeing who are so quick to defend Li have not been as kind to other skaters who struggled with similar issues.

Please read my posts as it is and its context. I said Zijun is not particular slow, especially comparing to her previous 2 seasons. Yet I won't hesitate to say it again (I kr well what you are hinting). Mao is slow comparing to her reputation(or her fans claimed) as the best SS in the business ever.
As an observer, I do not feel cheated watching Zijun live because that is her reputation and what I expected. But I was expecting some extraordinary SS from Mao. but disapointed.

Last edited: