Ladies SP thread - skating talk only | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP thread - skating talk only

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
This reminds me...does anyone know why Yulia is doing a flip in the SP if it gets "!"? Why not a Lz instead?

I kept thinking about this the entire day. In Nepela it was obvious her most reliable triple was the lutz, the only one not called in anything and with nice GOE both times she executed it. She said, and Urmanov added later today, that the only 3-3 she's trying is in the SP, and in the FS she's not going to try this combo because of the injury. My guess is that, even if they could have put the 3Z where the flip is right now, they didn't do it so she could compete more with the flip, get comfortable with the jump again?

Maybe they are putting as many flips out there before "real" competition begins. This change was made after the injury, when they knew she wasn't going to SA anymore, so no other big competition for her until RNats. And she said the plan is to go back to the 3lz-3t, so this combo is just the placeholder for the moment, I guess. But it's a guess, so :confused2:

All in all, if I'm not wrong this is one of the first flips she executed that didn't receive a carrot this year, I think. So, progress.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Nicole Rajicova's new SP is pretty :yes:. Yulia's dress is amazing, and the program really brings out her sense of rhythm and musicality.

Anna's SP makes me happy. She looks so confident and sure of herself, and like she really loves the program. It's so great to see that.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
I think some parts of Zijun's music were too intense for her delicate skating, but the StSq was really fun.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
Y'all talk about Elena's jumps as if they're the as ugly as like... a really ugly snake or something.

First off, her jumps are better than last year, and I actually think her figure is beautiful, better than ever tbh. Her posture is horrendous, but she interprets music SO well. I'd rather have her who actually enjoys skating and is consistent with her jumps, regardless of shape, than someone like Gracie Gold who can't even land 75% of her jumps and looks like she's planning her dinner during her skating.

andromache

Record Breaker
Y'all talk about Elena's jumps as if they're the as ugly as like... a really ugly snake or something.

First off, her jumps are better than last year, and I actually think her figure is beautiful, better than ever tbh. Her posture is horrendous, but she interprets music SO well. I'd rather have her who actually enjoys skating and is consistent with her jumps, regardless of shape, than someone like Gracie Gold who can't even land 75% of her jumps and looks like she's planning her dinner during her skating.

IMO, her jumps are worse than last year. The landings look about the same as last year, but the take-offs look more muscled. YMMV. And I think her figure is great - which I think I've said already. No one here is being mean about Elena's body.

Gracie Gold wasn't in this comp so she isn't relevant here.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
As for Elizabeth, one cannot deny her technical abilities. She is fast and she manages to do so many different movements - I think she has twice the density of movements of an average skater. But all in all I would agree with TAT it looks very juniorish - I guess, she even said "childish".

if one of the "top" ladies skated to that program with all transitions and inbetweens they would have gotten 33+ PCS, top skaters get even higher PCS with emptier programs, one can argue about SS (and her SS isnt weak by no means, i think its very good) but for me rest of the components could have been higher, esp TR

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Who among the ladies have the greatest speed and cleanest jumps?
How's Li Zijun's speed and jumps?

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Yulia pulls it together for the FS and can hold onto a podium spot. She's just so one of a kind and more than so many skater's she seems to skate from her heart. I can't even express in words how happy I am to see her out there . Who cares what the judges score it because my heart is absolutely feeling this program and more importantly her skating.

Alex D

Record Breaker
The Ladies are my favorite competition at each event, I really enjoy the creativity and progression over the years. When Sasha, Laura and Susanna left - I had nobody who I really "followed", but now I have a huge bunch of kids and ladies, that I really care about. They all work so hard and many new nationalities have developed world class skaters, I like that! While Ice Dance is slowly moving up the ranks, already on two now, I doubt it can beat the Ladies prior to the Olympics, but you never know.

As for Elena,

I am not some technical Guru, but I always felt she has an issue with her take offs, as she seems to hesitate sometimes or just slip off as with the Axel, yesterday. Really, I don´t want to claim I know a lot about jumps, but it looks less fluent and in motion and I feel she is losing momentum, especially if you compare it to Anna, Kaety Osmond or Gabby. That being said, she is never giving up any of her jumps and she is fighting incredible well. Her programs are still top and I so like Inna as a coach, she has such a calmness and helped Elena to progress from a junior to a senior quite well if you ask me. For me, she is a natural performer and seems to polish her skating more each season and her spins are wonderful and unique, as well. I like her SP a lot and how she always appreciates everyone in the stands, she would hug everyone if she could, so charming this lady and I hope he can have a wonderful LP today.

tzazu

Medalist
Goog luck to the Ladies today, I wish a wonderful competition like yesterday and that wins the best:hap10:

Kittosuni

Medalist
Elena and Anna both have impressive step sequence. I think this is where they separate themselves from the rest today. Theirs have impact and meaning. Anna's music was trashy but surprisingly worked for her. Obviously she is unrefined but her speed and stroke is really impressive. I wonder if Elena has some back or leg problem/deformity growing up that is undiagnosed and wasnt corrected. her shoulders are really high and her neck is slightly forward. Bad posture.