2016 Rostelecom live reports | Golden Skate

2016 Rostelecom live reports

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I am going to CoR tomorrow. First row middle section. I plan to post online in this thread not jumping between specific event threads. Everyone who will be (or was today) in Megasport is welcome to join.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Going to the arena as well in an hour. Super excited! :yahoo:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Enjoy your time guys and be careful with the presents, don't hit anyone ;)

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
It's great at the rink! The view from the upper sectors is awesome as well :)

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The seats are very small - will be a challenge to keep until the end. The rink is about 70% full which means 10 thousand spectators. Madison looks tiny live.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Italians were very good. There was connection between them. The skating was smooth and easy (especially the first half). First twizzles were lightning fast. Some small but visisble mistakes, though and a bit tired towards the end. Good score.

B/S - I have never seen them skating that good. They were a bit slow at the beginning unlike the last season. But then they increased both tension and speed until the climax at the end.

C/B were "fast and furious". A very conceptual program. But they looked a bit disconnected from each other. And Evan's mistake. I would not be surprised if they lose to B/S (don't know the score yet).

W/P - pure enjoyment. Skating and program wise they are the best for me. I think they had some minor tech mistakes. Then B/S are the champions!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Poor Mayorov - something happened to him - nose bleeding. The crowd was very supportive.

Tanaka - quite enjoyable, fast with good connection to both music and audience.

Deniss Vasilyevs is such a beautiful skater! When (if) he builds his jumping power he will be at least a contender for the top group. So much presence on ice!

Dmitriev was fighting with jumps throughout his program and finally gave up. Rough skating.

Gorshkov was good. His style reminded me of Gachinskiy. May be a bit empty choreo.

Max Aaron was about jumps. Some of them vere impressive. At the end he was tired and his skating became very slow.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Balde was very solid. Powerful presentation of a good program. If it were not for someminor mistakes he could have propelled himself up quite well. Still would place him higher than Max.

The start of Bychenko's program was remarkable. I was engrossed. Then the singing started. It was loud. I would say obscenly loud and dramatic so that I lost track of skating. Very good score although I would not give him +3 pcs points to Balde. I think Elaj was lowballed pcs wise.

Chafik's skating is not my cup of tea. But he had a nice quad and 3As - good for him.

Kolyada was so good in the first half, fast, artistic, engaging. Even missed 4S could be forgiven. Alas, his jumps in the second half were oops. Behind Bychenko - seems fair and square.

Shoma is better on TV than live. I could not enjoy the program - it was like a collection of tricks. But the difficulty is outstanding. I am rooting for Javi now. Will write about him later on - need to rush before the score: there are ridulous lines to cafeteria and WC here.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
The seats are very small - will be a challenge to keep until the end.

I thought that while watching yesterday. The seats are so colorful, but they look very small and uncomfortable. Also, the crowd looks like they are all sitting in each others laps. You're taking one for the team here!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Pairs event was underwhelming. S/M won which was expected. Now ladies, finally!

My friend's daughter who is a skater as well got Medvedeva's autograph on her ticket - was very happy about that. Looks like there is a shift among Russian youngsters. 2 years ago it was just about Yulia. Now the girl said that her favorite skater is Medvedeva.

Roberta was quite solid. Her coach who stood right beside me was very nervous and emotional with "yes!" at he end. The score could have been higher.

Kanako's skating was smooth and emotional with good speed till the very end. Some issues with jumps were expected and they happened. The crowd is tired now - ovation was very modest. I guess everyone is waiting for the leaders saving the energy.

I enjoyed Rajicova. Especially the final part. She could put a little bit more energy to make it even more climatic. But it was impressive anyway. If she did not make mistakes on her last triples the score would have been massive.

Yura Matsuda was enjoyable as well. Good speed, soft fluid skating. Safe jumps with the expected "japanese" knee bend. Her main issues are with spins. They were not pleasant to watch. Deserved lead at this point.

I enjoyed Galustyan. May be a bit "guilty pleasure" as she was quite slow at times. But all in all her style is exquisite: at her young age she skated like a lady and...and my battery is dead before the last group.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Yulia's drama

I was about 7 meters from Urmanov when Yulia came to him during the warm-up with a pale face and said: "I can't". He did not know what to do or say for a moment, then asked her to stretch a leg and tried to do something about it. But the way they looked at each other meant that something was very wrong. Then when she began to skate I started to nervously count the jumps knowing that she missed her opening combo. Then it happened. The audience did not know what to do. Some waited in silence, some clapped the hands trying to cheer her up but the mood suddenly became very gloomy. Some people beside me were crying.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yulia's drama

I was about 7 meters from Urmanov when Yulia came to him during the warm-up with a pale face and said: "I can't". He did not know what to do or say for a moment, then asked her to stretch a leg and tried to do something about it. But the way they looked at each other meant that something was very wrong. Then when she began to skate I started to nervously count the jumps knowing that she missed her opening combo. Then it happened. The audience did not know what to do. Some waited in silence, some clapped the hands trying to cheer her up but the mood suddenly became very gloomy. Some people beside me were crying.

I was all the way in America crying and my heart still hurts :cry:

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The last ladies' group beside Yulia

Elizabeth Tursynbaeva. She is even tinyer live than on TV. She would look tiny even during the junior tournament. Then it is hard to compare her with others. She skated after Galustyan. One could critisize Anastasia for many things. But looking at Nastya I see a young expressive woman. With Elizabeth I just saw a cute little girl who btw knows how to jump and spin. Sorry, so far not my cup of tea. Let's wait for 2 years: she may look and skate differently when she is 18.

Zijun Li. Yes, she is somewhat slower than most of the others. Many of her jumps looked beautiful - may be Mishin helped with that. All in all, quite pleasant skating but not much ahead of the best from the first group.

Courtney Hicks. I think she almost maxed up what she can offer during her performance here. And she can offer secure powerful jumps, interesting sweeping arm movement, and an unusual spin position. I am not a big fan of Courtney's skating but I have to acknowledge that she did her best despite being a lone US representative in ladies here who dared to fly across the ocean and multiple time zones. Kudos to her bronze!

Elena Radionova. That was a meltdown. She was slow, insecure not only in jumps but also in spins including her signature Bielmann. I cannot explain her score by anything but the fact that she had to skate after Yulia. I reaffirm that the atmosphere was very heavy and gloomy, and that could affect Elena who is also fresh from injuries. She is very tall now - taller than Anna, I would estimate 172+ So, I can understand a lot of things and still say that she was overscored. That was not a 123.67 performance.

Anna :yahoo::love: She saved the night. Beautiful, confident, fast. I don't want to speculate about her score. With Medvedeva's 220+ she more than deserves 215+ when she skates like that. The audience needed this performance. That's why it was the biggest and longest standing ovation of the day with joy and gratitude that people wanted to give Anna: "Guys, it's OK - we are still the best!"

Seruleane

Final Flight
Yulia's drama

Wow. Based on this info, I can't believe Yulia skated as well as she did in the first half of her program. Hoping nothing is seriously wrong, and she makes a speedy recovery. Also hoping her relationship with Urmanov stays strong. Despite not agreeing with the decision to let her finish the program, I still feel they are good for each other.