2016 Rostelecom live reports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Rostelecom live reports

keasus

On the Ice
Many thanks for your wonderful rinkside reports, Samkrut. Your insight and observations have made this competition come alive for those of us who can't attend. I appreciate your taking the time during a busy weekend competition to do these.:cheer2:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Does anyone know if this is going to be televised in the United States?

A link for the US TV schedule was provided by apgold, post #16 under thread 2016 Rostelecom Cup Livestream & TV
Ladies & Men FS will broadcast Sunday, Nov 6 on NBCSN 10 - 11:30 pm EST

olivelover76

Spectator
A link for the US TV schedule was provided by apgold, post #16 under thread 2016 Rostelecom Cup Livestream & TV
Ladies & Men FS will broadcast Sunday, Nov 6 on NBCSN 10 - 11:30 pm EST

Unfortunately I don't get that station, I don't think so. NBCSN. I used to.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Unfortunately I don't get that station, I don't think so. NBCSN. I used to.

I know... it is sad that US coverage is so limited.... if you are in the NE US that station comes standard with Comcast Xfinity but I know it is unavailable largely elsewhere.
NBC will broad cast some of the Cup of Russia event Saturday Nov 26 (Thanksgiving weekend) from 4 to 5 pm but no mention of the discipline... I would guess they will provide some Ladies & Men's FS views. :popcorn: hope this helps

Lunna

On the Ice
Oh....:sad21:

Well, I don't agree ;) To me Shoma was awesome live - he has great presence, musicality, FS was in character - my fav part is 3A at music accent :love: I liked SP little less (last year it was more fun) - seemed empty and slow at the beginning and better after 3A.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Well, I don't agree ;) To me Shoma was awesome live - he has great presence, musicality, FS was in character - my fav part is 3A at music accent :love: I liked SP little less (last year it was more fun) - seemed empty and slow at the beginning and better after 3A.

Ah....:love:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I gotta say that this new Ice arena looks nice. This arena Megasport - what it's about? Looks so much better than good old Lujniki. I hear about the whole giant Luzjniki Olympic sport complex, park and Moscow-river embankment are getting reconstruction and facelift prior WC 2018. About the time since the '80s. :) But this new Megasport looks like to be a multifunctional and can be easily converted for basketball, volleyball, boxing and other sports, with just a quick overnight work to install flooring over the ice. Judging by the look of the first rows - Megasport is a transformable sport arena. What about the area around it? Judging by the map it's not really in the center of the city, but the area looks to be under development. I check my architectural online sources: the area is about to receive a new subway station right at the Megasport, a new park, a new big mall (it seems to be already build), a new museum of modern art, a new CSKA soccer stadium. Area seems to be nice already, with existing multi-dwelling residential architecture. Middle class of Russia, so to speak. Should it all be completed in 2 years? So all future Russia's figure skating events would be held in Megasport in future? That's the capacity of Megasport? 12-13k? It's looked to be filled upto 9k at least this time. Obviously people showed up for the event partially because of the new location, transportation wise it could be better too. Central location of Lujniki is a pain with traffic jams typical for Moscow's historical center.

TV broadcasting looked very nice this time too, camerawork was especially good, and the lighting for gala and competition skates was great and very TV-friendly. All the right sparkles from the skaters outfits, no glare, right angles, no shadows under the chin, etc. I'm sure all inside and vip facilities for athletes, coaches, judges and all official were much better than at Lujniki. I hope Rostelecom event will stay at Megasport for another 3-4 years until they fully finish reconstruction of old Lujniki.

Last edited:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Dear forumers attended the event tell us what this arena is all about. How is the area around it?'

Lunna

On the Ice
Dear forumers attended the event tell us what this arena is all about. How is the area around it?'

Actually Megasport was built 10 years ago for Ice Hockey WC in 2007, it was closed due to some reconstructions for last 2-3 years that's why Rostelecom was held in Luzhniki.The area around was quite empty earlier, now there's a big mall nearby and two new big houses. The arena has it's problems like not enough ladies toilets, very big queue to the buffet, but in terms of viewing it's better than Luzhniki - even the rows in the corner are close to the ice. The capacity is 14k, there's a balcony but I wouldn't recommend to sit there - it's quite far. The subway nearby would be nice, now you must work 20-30 min to the nearest station.

LadyB

Record Breaker

I thought it was quite nice. The only setback was no WiFi, no connection for me whatsoever and I couldn't meet up with the lovely [email protected] or post any live comments. It was 10 min walk from Aerostar hotel, where most of the skaters stayed. The area is not that special with main road and big, concrete hotels and other buildings. Another bonus for me as a massive hockey fan, ZSKA is nearby:yes2: There are some buses close to the arena and Metro station Dinamo is not far away.
Queues for food or toilet are incredible, but that maybe the case for other venues as well.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Sorry for the delay, folks. Couldn't give proper updates, due to no WiFi in the Arena, long nights in the hotel bar and I came back only yesterday and had to go straight to work today. As I am not a 'real expert' as many GS folks are, I only watch because I love it when a skater translates the music into movement, please don't expect an expert report. I know the basics, but I won't go into detail. Thanks to samkrut@mail ru, who provided already a good feedback.

Pairs
Always thought that in the absence of Stolbova/Klimov, Savchenko/Massot would nail it. Their high throws are really breathtaking when you see what's happening live. Synchronised falls from S/M (their coach's reaction was priceless!) and Seguin/Bilodeau sent 'ooohs' through the arena and I had the feeling that S/B would be held back by something in both programmes. Very positively surprised by Mozer Team No 3, Zabiiako/Enbert. Undisputed darlings of the audience were Marchei/Hotarek, who are unbeatable in showmanship, who also would have deserved bronze, if it hadn't been for a flawed LP. Astakhova/Rogonov can do even better and I was positive surprised by young Canadians Ruest/Wolfe. I'm sure, there is more to come.

Ice Dance
Very pleased for Bobrova/Soloviev, who already secured their ticket for Marseille.:party: We all know that at GPs, home nations often get an advantage, but I believe these two belong into the final. I say this, because I think that Weaver/Poje were underscored. Their brandnew SD was vibrant and a good show, but seemingly not for the judges. They came second in the FD and quite rightly so.:rock: Many Russians we spoke to agreed with that opinion. I have to say that Chock/Bates (and I'm not a fan) were great to watch in their SD, delivered in their usual funky way. I always love to see young dancers such as Zahorski/Guerreirro, Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen and Pogrebinsky/Benoit. Their energy and joy doing what they do is contagious and I hope they'll go far in future.

Men
Javi, Javi, Javi! This guy is out of this world, the Elvis programme is just class and Orser, as usual, dances along all the way. In fairness, I could have done without a second year of Malagena. Having said that, I prefer this season's version.
Shoma Uno is so born to be a future number one. He has a way of moving on the ice that is very unique and he makes jumps look so effortless. Bychenko ending on the podium to the great joy of the audience. Kolyada got the fans screaming. I loved his SP last season already, but I wonder whether he should have opted for something knew, as this is a programme that can easily lose its novelty. He is a fun guy and it shows in his skating. I really enjoyed Tanako, Dmitriev and Besseghier in their LPs, they all showed their talents and it was good entertainment. Sorry for Deniss, but I think once he's got adolescence out of the way, Stephane will raise the stakes with him. He has already changed, looks older and his body is filled out a bit more. I watched the two of them in the hotel, after LP, they were sitting at the table next to ours and the way they interacted reminded me a of Orser and Fernandez, the mutual connection, just not quite as energetic and a bit quieter than O & F.:laugh: A very big round of applause for Alexander Majorov, who fought through his programme despite a nosebleed almost right from the start and a fall that looked pretty bad. Some people gave him standing ovations when he was done. :cheer2:

Ladies
I only watched the SP, but [email protected] gave already the LP review. Anna Pogorilaya will be going head to head with Medvedeva this season. Can't wait. Lena Radionova, still has what it takes to be a contender for everything, but this year's CoR belonged to Anna. I liked Zijun Li, no wonder Mishin comes knocking.
I didn't witness Julia's plight. The poor girl! These must have been absolutely awful moments for her. :palmf: Everyone was talking about the rumours that it was suggested she should take up pair skating. I totally love watching Elizabet Tursynbaeva, not just because I love Team Orser. How much energy can be in such a small body? It's also great to watch Orser watchiing her, that smile on his face. He's totally enjoying it.
During ladies, Liza Tuktamysheva came in and out of the arena, always immediately surrounded by very young and absolutely admiring fans. That was so sweet. How proud the little girls went back to their seats with their autograph and picture trophies! So sweet.

The fans were great, every skater/team was supported. Many fans with loads of different flags. It was my very first Grand Prix and I enjoyed it very much.

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry for the delay, folks. Couldn't give proper updates, due to no WiFi in the Arena, long nights in the hotel bar and I came back only yesterday and had to go straight to work today. As I am not a 'real expert' as many GS folks are, I only watch because I love it when a skater translates the music into movement, please don't expect an expert report. I know the basics, but I won't go into detail. Thanks to samkrut@mail ru, who provided already a good feedback.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your report. General impressions are just as wonderful as the expert reports. Sounds like you had a great time.

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your report. General impressions are just as wonderful as the expert reports. Sounds like you had a great time.

Thank you very much, much appreciated! Yes, I had a great time indeed. It was my first GP and it's been a great experience, in a very interesting city, meeting loads of lovely and fun skater fans...and of course a good number of skaters themselves. :cool2:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you very much, much appreciated! Yes, I had a great time indeed. It was my first GP and it's been a great experience, in a very interesting city, meeting loads of lovely and fun skater fans...and of course a good number of skaters themselves. :cool2:

GPs are great fun. I went to Skate Am & Skate Can but would LOVE to do Rostelecom. Moscow is so cool! I wrote a few things about SA but then got lazy and undisciplined when I went to SC. :laugh: I especially enjoyed hearing your thoughts about Shoma, Javi, Anna P., Mika, and Deniss. Thx again.