Who is going to qualify for the GPF? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who is going to qualify for the GPF?

LeeJiHye19

Final Flight
too bad for Ashley she just give away GPF to Japanese girl. Either Sakoto or Wakaba is going to GPF after NHK.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
For Pairs, Aliona/Bruno, Evgenia/Vladimir, and Yu/Zhang are in.

Peng/Jin are in if they finish 2nd/3rd at NHK trophy (doable).

Seguin/Bilodeau are in as long as Wang/Wang finishes no higher than 3rd.

Meagan/Eric are a no brainer ;)

Actually Wang/Wang have to win at this point to overtake Seguin/Bilodeau. Julianne and Charlie have 22 points and a 1st place finish. If Wang/Wang finish 2nd, they'll also have 22 points but lose the placements tiebreaker since they'd only have a 2nd as their highest placement.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mens will include:
Uno
Chan
Fernandez

Brown, Hanyu, Bychenko, Chen, and Kolyada will fight for the remaining 3 spots. Technically Rippon is still in the running depending on who places where :think: Mens is way to complicated for me :laugh: :cool: Good luck to them all :thumbsup:

Updated standings: http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2016/gpsmen.pdf

Last edited:

Impromptu

On the Ice
Mens will include:
Uno
Chan
Fernandez

Brown, Hanyu, Bychenko, Chen, and Kolyada will fight for the remaining 3 spots. Technically Rippon is still in the running depending on who places where :think: Mens is way to complicated for me :laugh: :cool: Good luck to them all :thumbsup:

Updated standings: http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2016/gpsmen.pdf

Yeah, I tried to figure that one out too, and realized at one point, if in the unlikely event that the results of NHK are Kolyada or Chen (going 1/2 or 2/1), followed by Bychenko, Brown, and Hanyu in that order - the 2nd through 5th place skaters at NHK, and Rippon would all have 22 points to fight out for the final 2 spots. (Not that Hanyu is likely to finish that far down).

Basically (using the "control your own destiny" numbers here), Hanyu and Brown need to finish in the top 3 to be guaranteed a place in the GPF; Bychenko needs to finish in the top 2 for a guarantee; Chen and Kolyada need to win to be guaranteed. But mix those placements up, and it's chaos (Chen/Kolyada could still make GPF with 2nd place, but it would then depend on where everyone else placed, and probably go into tie breakers).

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, I tried to figure that one out too, and realized at one point, if in the unlikely event that the results of NHK are Kolyada or Chen (going 1/2 or 2/1), followed by Bychenko, Brown, and Hanyu in that order - the 2nd through 5th place skaters at NHK, and Rippon would all have 22 points to fight out for the final 2 spots. (Not that Hanyu is likely to finish that far down).

Basically (using the "control your own destiny" numbers here), Hanyu and Brown need to finish in the top 3 to be guaranteed a place in the GPF; Bychenko needs to finish in the top 2 for a guarantee; Chen and Kolyada need to win to be guaranteed. But mix those placements up, and it's chaos (Chen/Kolyada could still make GPF with 2nd place, but it would then depend on where everyone else placed, and probably go into tie breakers).

Rippon can make it too if Brown/Hanyu finishes 1 and 2 in whichever order and anybody but Bychenko places 3rd. Yeah I gave up trying to figure this one out :laugh:

moriel

Record Breaker
+ ice is slippery and we have seen too many weird things happen this season already.

eta

Medalist
Does anyone have news regarding S/M? Seems that she is injured, not sure how severe.

Happy for S/B for qualifying (most likely).

And very sad for Boyang :sad4: Why is he getting lowballed instead of home inflation :angry2:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I feel like posting exact situations for disciplines will only jinx them at this stage. This has been one craaaaaaazy GP series.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Is it just me or I'm kinda secretly want Lenok to beat Med at least twice this season? It would be good for the world of figure skating to have a girl derby between Radio and Med for few years to come.,. Rivalry is always good for popularizing the sport!

What's left where Med and Radio can square it out this season? Rus Nats, Euros, GPF, Worlds? 4 tournaments, huh... I want Radionova to win at least Euros and Osmond to win GPF, while Pogo can win RusNats to prove the point while she is probably not the most consistent Russian girl, but the best one when is on. Med can still be World Champ? So we will have a 4 different winners for the 4 most exciting tournament for ladies this season? ;)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Sorry if this question is raised before, but what results would make Wakaba and Satoko together qualified for GPF? Probably Satoko wins, Wakaba in 2nd (or vice versa?), Anna in 3rd and Sotskova off the podium at NHK scenario as Anna is secure enough with a result of above 4th?

I'm just realizing that none of the Skate America medalists can go to GPF.....:shocked:

Since Boyang's qualification to GPF is crashed, I wonder about any possibility of Nathan and Mikhail going to GPF too.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Sorry if this question is raised before, but what results would make Wakaba and Satoko together qualified for GPF? Probably Satoko wins, Wakaba in 2nd (or vice versa?), Anna in 3rd and Sotskova off the podium at NHK scenario as Anna is secure enough with a result of above 4th?

Looks like 22 points should be enough to make it this year, so Wakaba and Satoko can qualify just by making the podium... even a silver or bronze would do it.

The only trouble will come into play if Pogo misses the podium. She can afford to drop as low as 5th and still qualify. And Sotskova is still out there... :dev2:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Since Boyang's qualification to GPF is crashed, I wonder about any possibility of Nathan and Mikhail going to GPF too.

They do have a chance. As Jason has a Silver from SA they were in fourth at their events, each would need to beat him by more than one place to beat Jason to the final. So either Nathan and Mikhail in second and Jason in third would still mean Jason is ahead of them in the standings. A silver for either would beat Adam Rippon though as as highest placement is a tie breaker and a silver at NHK would beat a tie with Adam's two bronzes.

senatormls

On the Ice
Well we have the NHK to go.. but for sure; Radionova and Medvedeva from Russia. Pogo is very likely and is sizzling this season, but I have to wait for NHK. Osmond with 2 silvers is a strong contender. I really doubt that we will see any American women in the top six. Alternates are Tukt and Daleman. For the men; Javi and Chan, wait for Hanyu and Jin and maybe Rippon at 6th place ( at least a strong alternate). The pairs; Savchenko and Massot. More with alternates than 'for sures'. My advice to the pairs: land your jumps!!!! Dance; the Shibs and Chock and Bates. THere is a Duh about the French but you never know until NHK is over. Alternates are all three Canadian dance pairs, and Hubbel and Donohue. ( Yes, Virtue and Moir are also a 'Duh' but wait after NHK)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Kaetlyn Osmond is already in, as there is no possibility there will be 4 better ladies than her at NHK as she has 26 points. 4 ladies at NHK will fight for 3 spots (Satoko, Wakaba, Anna & Maria Sotskova). Anna needs to be 5th and she qualifies. There is huge possibility we will have 4 Russian Ladies at GPF, as Maria will qualify with third place easily. And with right circumstances, even 4th will be enough. Let's how it goes, there are many podium contenders in NHK, including those who did badly at previous GPS (like Mirai Nagasu) and while not qualifying themselves, they can be spoilers.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaetlyn Osmond is already in, as there is no possibility there will be 4 better ladies than her at NHK as she has 26 points. 4 ladies at NHK will fight for 3 spots (Satoko, Wakaba, Anna & Maria Sotskova). Anna needs to be 5th and she qualifies. There is huge possibility we will have 4 Russian Ladies at GPF, as Maria will qualify with third place easily. And with right circumstances, even 4th will be enough. Let's how it goes, there are many podium contenders in NHK, including those who did badly at previous GPS (like Mirai Nagasu) and while not qualifying themselves, they can be spoilers.

Actually there is a chance Anna could be out with a 5th if Wakaba/Satoko finishes 1 and 2 (whichever order) and Maria 3rd, Anna is out with a 5th placement. If Anna is 4th, then Maria, even with a 3rd could be out as she would enter a tiebreak with the 2nd place Japanese skater which might not be in her favor.

The Russians just needs to assure that Wakaba/Satoko don't go 1/2 :laugh: Lets see how it goes :devil:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Actually there is a chance Anna could be out with a 5th if Wakaba/Satoko finishes 1 and 2 (whichever order) and Maria 3rd, Anna is out with a 5th placement. If Anna is 4th, then Maria, even with a 3rd could be out as she would enter a tiebreak with the 2nd place Japanese skater which might not be in her favor.

The Russians just needs to assure that Wakaba/Satoko don't go 1/2 :laugh: Lets see how it goes :devil:

You're right! :drama: So Anna needs 4th place to be sure, she qualifies. But I really think it takes a lot of circumstaneces for her not to qualify, unless she bombs, like Ashley...