2017 Skate Canada Challenge | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 Skate Canada Challenge

TGee

Record Breaker
Novice Women SP Catherine Carle. 40.83

nice skate from a promising CO skater

Step out on triple triple combo, other triples clean. Nice well centred spins. Would like to see more speed and less two foot skating as she progresses.

nadster

Final Flight
Novice Women SP Catherine Carle. 40.83

nice skate from a promising CO skater

Step out on triple triple combo, other triples clean. Nice well centred spins. Would like to see more speed and less two foot skating as she progresses.

She actually only did 2T-3T as the combo here but she has landed 3T-3T in previous competition. Still gutsy to pull off the 3T, She still gets 2 bonus points for that combo; one for the 3T and another for the 3T being the second jump in the combo.

TGee

Record Breaker
Novice Women SP Sandrine Bouchard QC 40.42

Hands down on 3S+2T+ Downgraded 3T, positive GOE on 2A. Lots of one foot skating and edgewor, but not yet with speed. STsq3 with +GOE...

Pretty well centred level 4 spins! with + GOE, especially layback to bielmann.

TGee

Record Breaker
She actually only did 2T-3T as the combo here but she has landed 3T-3T in previous competition. Still gutsy to pull off the 3T, She still gets 2 bonus points for that combo; one for the 3T and another for the 3T being the second jump in the combo.

thanks Nadster. Thought it might have been a double. I wasn't getting the full live scoring up at that point, combo just read as "jump" on my screen as the tech call came in late. Better than none though....

TGee

Record Breaker
Want to make a general comment on the quality of spins across the competitors. :2thumbs:

....Really an area of strength at this level. e.e. Alison Eby of WO is another who also just came in with two level 4 spins.

Wish we we were seeing this consistency in well centred and non-travelling spins among the senior women globally .....

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
So far: Allison Eby has the best SS. So glad she's continuing after splitting with Trennt.

nadster

Final Flight
During a skater's performance any combos will be just listed as jump. Once the scores are in for that skater though and you click on the name, you will see the nature of the combo ( plus any downgrades or edge calls ). Levels aren't listed for elements until scores are in as well.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
What skaters are you watching for in pre-novice and novice ladies?

My two are Vienna Harwood in pre-novice and Vasilisa Matantseva in novice. Though I'm also curious to see how Hana Watanabe does. She beat like 70 ladies at COS sectional to take the pre-nov sectional title. Not an easy feat!

TGee

Record Breaker
Happy to take suggestions. Vasilisa and Vienna were interesting at sectionals.

Keeping my eye out for the ones that were on the podium at Minto Summer Skate in one program there. (SP and FS scores not merged for an overall placement there.). Attended that one and would like to see how they progress...

Novice Women....In addition to Catherine Carle, and Sandrine Bouchard in no particular order these include Rosalie Vincent, Élodie Adusar, Nou-Houdini Foura, Samira D Auteuil, Jordyn Andreevski, Charlotte Rannou, Katrine Denis, Heidi Pelchat

--------------------------------

editing to add that Skate Canada, with deliberation uses the word women and not ladies....

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
You're right about women. I'm too used to the ISU's use of 'ladies'.

I actually watched Catherine Carle. From the hype I thought she'd be more polished. Right now she's TES focused. She needs to improve the overall quality of her skating.

TGee

Record Breaker
Pre-novice Women .....Daria Carr of Kelowna was also interesting in BC sectionals...

Ones that stood out at Minto Summer Skate.. Rose René de Cortret is coming right up after the next warm up, and Audrey-Ann St-Jean at the end of that group...

Alyson Thibault also, who has already skated with 32.84 for her Challenge SP; and Alexanne Bouillon with the current lead of 35.08 ...she scored a bit higher at Minto, but seems consistent and quite a complete skater for level....

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
You're right about women. I'm too used to the ISU's use of 'ladies'.

I actually watched Catherine Carle. From the hype I thought she'd be more polished. Right now she's TES focused. She needs to improve the overall quality of her skating.

I understand the emphasis to get early and consistent triples and combos given the development pathway. And to have the speed for the jumps she may need all that two foot skating ...the ones with lots of one foot skating and transitions seem even slower in most cases.

But I'm not convinced, given case she like Nam, that SS can really be caught up to the highest level if left too late. Understand why Skate Canada is strongly pushing early edgework and SS development in the reworked CanSkate and STAR 1-5 that's come in this quadrennial.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I understand the emphasis to get early and consistent triples and combos given the development pathway. And to have the speed for the jumps she may need all that two foot skating ...the ones with lots of one foot skating and transitions seem even slower in most cases.

But I'm not convinced, given case she like Nam, that SS can really be caught up to the highest level if left too late. Understand why Skate Canada is strongly pushing early edgework and SS development in the reworked CanSkate and STAR 1-5 that's come in this quadrennial.

The issue I had with her was the in between skating. I am ok with a skater at that level slowing down for a jump. I mean, if you remember Jun Hwan Cha last season he used to stalk his 3A like crazy. If it helps at a lower level like novice, then fine. But you can tell when a skater is not comfortable with actually skating - it's not just speed, though most are slow. There were points when she was doing twizzles and it looked like she was losing her balance. She's a young girl and I don't want to make a lot of negative comments, so I'll leave it at that. You and I have seemed to covered most of it anyways.

I agree with you that SS appear harder to teach the older you get. I think skaters get into habits about what's comfortable.

TGee

Record Breaker
Novice Women Rosalie Vincent QC. 42.13

Nice skate, good presentation unfortunately live scoring didn't give details

Nice high springy jumps... All clean. Looked like she got the 3-3 combo, and good 3T and 2A. (Corrections welcome please )

Spins travelled somewhat...

Slowish, but not too much two foot skating....

nadster

Final Flight
Novice Women Rosalie Vincent QC. 42.13

Nice skate, good presentation unfortunately live scoring didn't give details

Nice high springy jumps... All clean. Looked like she got the 3-3 combo, and good 3T and 2A. (Corrections welcome please )

Spins travelled somewhat...

Slowish, but not too much two foot skating....

The second 3T in the combo got an underrotation call.

TGee

Record Breaker
Pre-novice women Rose Rene de Cotret QC. 36.80 currently in first

And of course Vasilisa skated at the same time ... And I ended up with Rose Rene with Vasilisa's audio??!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Too many tabs TGee. :laugh:

Vasilisa with a fall. :( Get it in the FS girl.

Just watched Hana Watanabe. Gorgeous Biellmann. If she can successfully get her triples she's going to be a force. 36.95 and into first!

TGee

Record Breaker
Too many tabs TGee. :laugh:

Vasilisa with a fall. :( Get it in the FS girl.

Just watched Hana Watanabe. Gorgeous Biellmann. If she can successfully get her triples she's going to be a force. 36.95 and into first!

Actually, it shifted to a second whole launch of Chrome so Novice kept playing behind. .

I'm sure Skate Canada's web developer has some brilliant reason why setting up the tabs this way is the ideal......:scratch2:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Actually, it shifted to a second whole launch of Chrome so Novice kept playing behind. .

I'm sure Skate Canada's web developer has some brilliant reason why setting up the tabs this way is the ideal......:scratch2:

Strange. I am not too keen on the tabs either as the live scores tab sometimes goes dead.

What's up with the noise in the audio from Rink 1? Ugh.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Marissa Yi-Shan Wu had a clean skate in pre-nov women. :thumbsup: