Ticket Site for 4CC Gangneung | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ticket Site for 4CC Gangneung

merleice

Rinkside
I see. In such a case, Seoul (Gangnam) Express Bus Terminal could be a better option than East Seoul Bus Terminal, depending on the location of your stay. The Seoul Express Bus Terminal is located at the southern part of the city. I will look for the bus schedule from this terminal to Gangneung and be back.

For the time being,

http://www.kobus.co.kr/web/eng_new/schedule.jsp (in English).

=========================================================

ETD: OK. The details.

Survival guide (Version 2) when you cannot get the Gangneung bus at the airport:

They have frequent bus services at Seoul Express Bus Terminal.

1) Incheon Airport - Gangnam Bus Terminal

Gangnam Bus Terminal actually means several adjacent structures at Gangnam:

Take Bus 6020 at the Airport, Platform No. 4B or 11A
http://www.seoulbus.co.kr/eng/index/airportbus_01_1.php?val=11

Duration: 50 -60 minutes
Frequency: 15 to 25 minutes. First bus at 05:25. Last bus at 23:10 (As of November 6)
Cost: 15,000 Korean Won

Gangnam Terminal is the third stop from the Airport.
http://www.seoulbus.co.kr/BlueAD/admin/station/upload/0.19252900 1393463659.jpg (in English)
http://www.seoulbus.co.kr/BlueAD/admin/station/upload/0.49025200 1313747333.jpg (in Korean)
Large circles indicate subway stations. Bus terminals are small building blocks.
When you compare two images, you would find they forgot drawing the bus stop (i.e., get off point) in front of Gangnam Terminal in the English version.

When you get off from the bus, look for a building looking like this,
https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/파일:서울고속버스터미날_02.jpg

2) Seoul Express Bus Terminal (Yeongdong Line) - Gangneung Express Bus Terminal

Duration: Two hours and 40 minutes
Frequency: 20 to 30 minutes. First bus at 06:00. Last bus at 23:30 (As of November 6)
http://www.kobus.co.kr/web/eng_new/schedule.jsp

Cost: 14,600 - 23,600 Korean Won
Cash only. They do not accept foreign credit cards.​

Platform No. 22 http://www.exterminal.co.kr/take.asp

=================================================

Gangneung Bus Terminal is a combination of two buildings. Seen from the outside,
  • Left Wing = Gangneung Express Bus Terminal: Buses to Seoul Express Bus Terminal and East (Dong) Seoul Bus Terminal Express Line
  • Right Wing = Gangneung Inter-city Bus Terminal: Buses to East (Dong) Seoul Bus Terminal Inter-city Line and Incheon Airport/Gimpo Airport

Thank you so so much!! You are a lifesaver! :love::bow::bow:

begin

Medalist
For anyone wondering, the Google maps equivalent in SK is Daum maps (now known as Kakao maps).

If anyone is using public transport be sure to download the Subway Korea and the SeoulBus (aka Kakao bus) apps! If you know your bus ID then the latter will provide realtime info of the bus location and arrival time to each stop. It's all in hangul tho, so memorize the relevant Korean names beforehand if you don't know the Korean alphabet.

seabm7

Final Flight
Local transportation

Local transportation system of Gangneung:

They do have a bus system, but it's slow and not frequent.

My friend from that area thinks a call taxi would be a faster option.

===================================================

ETD: Taxi drivers do not speak English. They accept credit cards, but I'm not sure if foreign cards would work with their system.

For the bus, they have some information here:
http://www.hellopyeongchang.com/en/information/transportation/staticcontents?menuId=317

Last edited:

MiRé

Match Penalty
If traveling with 3+ people, try to take taxi as your main transportation! It's really cheap and they are fast. Just don't be surprised if they drive through a red light or something since it's not uncommon in SK...... But be aware though, some taxi drivers CAN rip foreigners off. NAVER maps usually tells you how much the taxi fare would be so check on that to make sure you don't get ripped off!

There is no Uber is Korea, but you can use Kakao Taxi. It's a same concept, and the taxi driver will come to you.

Last edited:

seabm7

Final Flight
Dear Website Managers,

Would it be possible to create a separate thread, titled "Transportation to Gangneung City", starting from Article No.8? The title says it all.

seabm7

Final Flight
Retails shops

Retails shops at Gangneung

1) Department stores: zero.

2) Supermarkets/Mall:

Home Plus http://martmonster.com/index.php?mid=gangwon&category=245&document_srl=5216&read_review_tab=map

emart http://martmonster.com/index.php?mi...rl=3484&document_srl=3484&read_review_tab=map

3) Convenience stores: Many of them. CU, GS25, 7-Eleven, etc.

4) Coffee: There are famous coffee shops at Gangneung.

[Strike-through]Unfortunately these shops are located far from the Ice Arena.[/Strike-through]

ETD: I heard there are many decent small coffee places at the center of Gangneung City. They may not be famous, but reasonable. :cool:

Last edited:

seabm7

Final Flight
Arena review

I just came back from 2017 Korean National. There are many things to say. Here is the summary of my experience.

1. On January 7, Saturday morning, I got on the 6:40 am bus from the Seoul Express Bus Terminal at Gangnam.

I bought the ticket from the booth at the terminal. The ticket has a Q code, and the bus has a scanner for the code. That machine also has a T-money/credit card reader. If there are enough seats left, you can buy a ticket directly from the machine.

We did a 15-minute (or was it 20 minute?) rest place stop at Hoengseong.

Finally, the bus arrived at Gangneung Terminal around 9:30 am. Next to the terminal, there is a taxi stand. Also a car rental shop.

2. It took just 5 minutes from the terminal to the Gangneung Ice Arena by taxi. The entrance for the general public is on the 2nd floor. I arrived right before the beginning of the competition.

3. There are many restrooms. :luv17: However, supplies were running low at some places.

4. The inside of the arena is still dusty and slightly smelly. If you are sensitive to new buildings, you may have a problem.

5. I checked the view of my 4CC seats. There were surprises, both pleasant and unpleasant.

Pros: The overall layout of the seats is very good. The view from the very last line of level C is quite decent.:thumbsup:

Cons: There are seats with obstructed or even dead views, due to nearby structures. It looks like they haven't thoroughly checked the view from each seat yet. My seat for the 4CC Mens' Single has a such problem. I am debating with myself if I have to talk to the ticket seller/organizers to resolve it or not.:rolleye:

6. Second day or Sunday. I took a taxi from my hotel at the center of Gangneung to the Arena. The duration was about 15 minutes. There is a coffee house 보헤미안 (Bohemian) in front of the Arena across the street, and I had breakfast there.

7. They have a place for the concession inside the Arena, but it is not open yet. I think they will open it in time for 4CC.

8. ETD: After the competition, I waited for my friend to go for a dinner together. But she was being late, so I used KaKaoTaxi to go to a Korean restaurant at 초당동 Chodang-dong. The taxi arrived just in a few minutes. It took 5 minutes to the restaurant. KakaoTaxi is a very good smart phone application, but it does not have an English version yet. I posted a separate article on KaKaoTaxi.

9. The original dinner plan was to go to a famous tofu place, but they closed early. So I went to another place, a traditional Korean food, with my friend. This restaurant 초당한식 (Chodang-Hansik, reservation only) offers Hanjeongsik, a full-course Korean meal.

10. I took the 9 pm bus at the Gangneung Express Bus Terminal to Seoul Express Bus Terminal. The bus driver asked the passengers if anyone wants to go to the restrooms at Hoengseong. When just one person answered yes, the driver gave him 3 minutes! After that, we arrived in Seoul at 11:20 pm. I went home by taxi.

Seats to avoid, as of January 9th, 2017. (Hopefully the organizers could improve the situation before 4CC, but not much time is left.)

Level A Line G seats: They placed a glass window in front of the seats. Glass itself is transparent, but not its support clips. I heard some people are even unhappy with Line H seats.

Level A Line I seats next to the wheelchair seats: The floor for the wheelchair seat is much higher (about a meter) than the next seat for general public, so the view of the latter is blocked by a large amount. I think the affected ones are A 103 I 07, A 107 I 08, A 111 I 04, and A 115 I 21. But I could not double-check the information on the seat number.

Level B seats behind the Arena entrances: There are more than a dozen gates on the floor between Level A and Level B. On the top of each gate, there is a large glass screen. Similar but more severe problem here. Glass is transparent, but not its thick metal columns/supports. This affects seats from Lines A to C next to or behind the glass screen.

The following seats have minor problems, compared to the above:

Level A Line A seats: There is a guardrail in front, which is expected.

Level B Lines A to B seats, not mentioned in the above: There are many guardrails in front of Level B, which is also expected. If you are sensitive to obstructions, avoid these ones, too.

ETD: An article on the Gangneuen Ice Arena:

http://blog.daum.net/sadprince57/3580

The first half is on the 2017 Korean National. The second half is about the Arena, including a 360 degree video clip. It's in Korean, but you can check the photos of the arena.

Last edited:

seabm7

Final Flight
KakaoTaxi

If you have a Korean cell phone number, you can use the KakaoTaxi application. Here is an article on how to use it:

https://www.10mag.com/kakaotaxi-for-the-english-speaker/

You have to designate the location by typing in or by pinning the map. Bold texts are the ones you are typing.

Example: From Gangneung Ice Arena to Gangneung Express Bus Terminal

출발 강릉올림픽파크 강릉아이스아레나 (Translation: Start Gangneung Olympic Park Gangneung Ice Arena)

도착 강릉고속버스터미널 (Translation: End Gangneung Express Bus Terminal)

Disclaimer 1: During the Korean National, there were more than enough taxis in Gangneung. But I'm not sure there would be enough taxis during 4CC, when thousands will visit this small city.

ETD: Disclaimer 2: As for my use of KakaoTaxi after the competition, I had to wait for a while for my friend. When I initiated the application, most of the audience already left the arena, which eased the process of finding a taxi.

To get the Korean phone number, you need to buy the data+voice plan for the rental Sim card at Incheon Airport. At Gimpo Airport, you have to reserve the plan in advance.

ETD: There is one big difference between US Uber and Korean KakaoTaxi. KakaoTaxi is a software interface between the taxi drivers with the official license and clients. You can think of it as a call taxi with an internet dispatch system.

Last edited:

seabm7

Final Flight
Translation app

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
seabm7 - I just want to express that I am BLOWN AWAY by your posts about area specifics/arena specifics/varia about 4CC place, the way they are put together, their informative value and quality. I have no possibility to attend at 4CC, but reading your posts I feel like I'd manage to get this organized and planned quite comfortably. Big, big kudos for you :bow:and jealous of all of you attending this year's 4CC:), good luck and enjoy the experience!

seabm7

Final Flight
seabm7 - I just want to express that I am BLOWN AWAY by your posts about area specifics/arena specifics/varia about 4CC place, the way they are put together, their informative value and quality. I have no possibility to attend at 4CC, but reading your posts I feel like I'd manage to get this organized and planned quite comfortably. Big, big kudos for you :bow:and jealous of all of you attending this year's 4CC:), good luck and enjoy the experience!

Thanks a lot! I am so flattered by your remarks. :biggrin:

Rinchan

Rinkside
Seabm7 your information is really precious, thank you so much.
I just want to say that i will be going to 4cc this year and im leaving for Gangreung on Friday 17th with the 2pm bus from 동서울 seoul east express bus termiba. If anyone is taking that bus and needs some help, im here. Im not korean but i have been living here since 2012 and have no problem with everyday koren ^^ Feel free to pm me

seabm7

Final Flight
If your view got obstructed

due to the support structures of the glass screens, here is the phone number you can use

(033) 350-4315

for either refund or exchange of the ticket in Korea. I'm not sure if they speak English, though.

I heard that since there are three parties (Olympic organizers, Gangneung City for the arena maintenance, and Interpark for ticketing) involved, communication is not good between them. They recently became aware of the blocked view problems, so you have to use the correct route for the ticket refund/exchange. I got the phone number from

http://blog.daum.net/sadprince57/3608

The blogger cautions that be gentle when you talk to the person. Just mention your view got blocked due to the glass screens, etc.

For the Olympics, they will either remove the screens or remove the bad seats from the sale.

Last edited:

reni

Rinkside
due to the support structures of the glass screens, here is the phone number you can use

(033) 350-4315

for either refund or exchange of the ticket in Korea. I'm not sure if they speak English, though.

I heard that since there are three parties (Olympic organizers, Gangneung City for the arena maintenance, and Interpark for ticketing) involved, communication is not good between them. They recently became aware of the blocked view problems, so you have to use the correct route for the ticket refund/exchange. I got the phone number from

http://blog.daum.net/sadprince57/3608

The blogger cautions that be gentle when you talk to the person. Just mention your view got blocked due to the glass screens, etc.

For the Olympics, they will either remove the screens or remove the bad seats from the sale.

Thank you so much for this information.

My ticket is Level A Row G so I sent email to both Test Event Organizer and Interpark about this issue. Interpark simply said once the ticket is sold it can't be changed. However Organizer offered to change my seat from Row G to Row D. I couldn't be more happier.

For fans like me from abroad, if your seat has blocked view problems, you may connect the test event Organizer via email directly.

Again thank seabm7 for providing all useful information. It is really helpful.

merleice

Rinkside
seabm7 Thank you once again for all the useful info you posted, it really made the journey to Gangneung and back much easier. I'm on my way home after attending the practices, all the competitions and the Gala from 15 Feb onwards and I had a great time. Planning for this trip seemed a little daunting at first so I'm really thankful to you! :thank:

seabm7

Final Flight
seabm7 Thank you once again for all the useful info you posted, it really made the journey to Gangneung and back much easier. I'm on my way home after attending the practices, all the competitions and the Gala from 15 Feb onwards and I had a great time. Planning for this trip seemed a little daunting at first so I'm really thankful to you! :thank:

You're very welcome!

kalamalka

Rinkside
My thanks as well, seabm7. Your posts informed my ticket purchase as well as my trip to Gangneung, which otherwise would have been even more of a challenge, as it's my first trip to Korea and Gangneung is not yet a very tourist-friendly place for non-Korean speakers.