Entries 2016 Golden Spin of Zagreb | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Entries 2016 Golden Spin of Zagreb

stella luna

Final Flight
Super upset. I wish she would give a press interview!

My thoughts exactly. I'm really starting to worry about Polina. Is she out for the season? Forever?

It's great that she is enjoying college life, but can't she throw us a crumb? Her fans would like an update. :hpull:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Im really worried that she may indeed be more into her academic life than skating

Its her life OK but its sad to me as a skating fan b/c I havent appreciated her at all in her early days (actually I was close to a hater:laugh:) & now she immensely progressed & if she indeed decides to leave skating imo we'll lose potentially a champion caliber skater

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I also miss Polina! (soon to see another Polina in the JGPF though) Get well if her injury is still hurting her, but I really want to see her at least at Nationals.

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
Tickets for the 2016 Golden Spin of Zagreb are now available on-line.
See the thread
- Golden Spin of Zagreb 2016 visit
for all the details.:love:

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Sooo...Kostner is back, Liza will probably go for the 3A here, Gracie and now even Ashley are here.

Interesting field.

narcissa

Record Breaker
My thoughts exactly. I'm really starting to worry about Polina. Is she out for the season? Forever?

It's great that she is enjoying college life, but can't she throw us a crumb? Her fans would like an update. :hpull:

She's injured. Can't jump at all.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
Well Adam is out since he made the GPF. Nathan can't sub, since he's going too. Any chance Jason can go, or is it too late for new entries?

eta

Medalist
Well Adam is out since he made the GPF. Nathan can't sub, since he's going too. Any chance Jason can go, or is it too late for new entries?

Alexander JOHNSON is listed as the next in line, so maybe him?

frida80

Record Breaker
Alex Johnson competed at sectionals last weekend, for which he prob. was putting in a lot of good training, if that is what you mean by "ready to go"??

He finished a close second behind Jordan Moeller.

I mean, competing international is something you prep for for weeks. Mostly to get prepared for the different time zone, climate, the exhaustion of travel, and the pressure of competition. Dropping it on a skater last minute can throw a competitor off. I hope they gave him a heads up that he could possibly be subbing, since both Nathan and Adam were in the running for the GPF.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I mean, competing international is something you prep for for weeks. Mostly to get prepared for the different time zone, climate, the exhaustion of travel, and the pressure of competition. Dropping it on a skater last minute can throw a competitor off. I hope they gave him a heads up that he could possibly be subbing, since both Nathan and Adam were in the running for the GPF.

At least in some cases, it seems that USFS has been known to inform skaters before entry and substitute lists are made public.

I say that b/c the wording from some skaters sometimes is along the lines of, "Finally can share the exciting news that I will be competing at XYZ."

Per Mrs. P's post in the U.S. men's thread, the entry/sub list (including Alex) was public by Nov 15.
I hope it is reasonable to assume that Alex would have received as much advance notice (if any) before then as the full-fledged entries of Tim and Vincent.

... http://www.croskate.hr/site/assets/files/1173/cscro2016_entries-men_16-11-14.pdf

Timothy Dolensky, Adam Rippon and Vincent Zhou listed as USA entries with Nathan Chen and Alexander Johnson as subs.

If Adam makes GPF, I bet one of those subs will go in.

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
At least in some cases, it seems that USFS informs skaters well before entry and substitute lists are made public.

I say that b/c the wording from some skaters sometimes is along the lines of, "Finally can share the exciting news that I will be competing at XYZ."

Per Mrs. P's post in the U.S. men's thread, the entry/sub list (including Alex) was public by Nov 15.
I hope it is reasonable to assume that Alex would have received as much advance notice (if any) before then as the full-fledged entries of Tim and Vincent.

Knowing that you could compete is different than knowing you're definitely going to compete. I know with the substitutions that I've seen it's been a mixed bag. With Karen she found out about a week before hand. Gabby Noullet was told about a week beforehand. Mirai was told two weeks before worlds, but she was told to be prepared a month before since Polina's health was questioned at the time. I know both Gabby and Karen weren't prepare to go, since it was basically told to them last minute and they hadn't been preparing for a international competition.

I assume he just got decimate notice yesterday. Training for nationals is different than the fall season. And sectionals is less intense than an international competition. Its a good opportunity for him to gain points and experience, but I feel bad for him. He probably went from thinking "it would be so cool if I actually got to compete at golden spin!" to "oh crap I have to compete a Golden Spin, I'm not ready for it!"

Maybe it will be a Mariah Bell situation where the excitement of competing helps him get personal best. You never know in skating. :shrug:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I hope he's ready to go.

Knowing that you could compete is different than knowing you're definitely going to compete. ....

I give up. Wish I had never entered into this ridiculous conversation. :bang:

I'll put it this way:
IMO, in terms of mental and physical readiness, Alex should be as ready -- and prob. more ready -- than any other U.S. man (other than Tim and Vincent and Adam) would be.
Before the conclusion of NHK, no other U.S. man could have been notified that he would be a definite entry.
And Alex at least has had the benefit of knowing at least by Nov 15 that he already was a sub -- and of knowing that Adam and Nathan both were in the mix to possibly qualify for the GPF.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Alexander JOHNSON is listed as the next in line, so maybe him?

Today USFS filled in the Golden Spin entries on its assignments chart:

Men: Dolensky, Zhou
Ladies: Glenn, Gold, Wagner
Pairs: Cain/LeDuc, Denney/Frazier
Dance: Hawayek/Baker

http://usfigureskating.org/story?id=84032&menu=TeamUSA

Only two men.
(As expected, Rippon is not listed, after he qualified for the GPF. No third man on the USFS list, although the ISU page listed Alex Johnson as a sub. http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028796.htm)

Only two pairs.
(Kayne/O'Shea had been included as a third pair on the ISU list as of Nov 17. http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028798.htm)

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
Those among us who follow Canadian skating are pleased to see Keegan Messing, Roman Sadowsky, Nicholas Nadeau as entries in the mens's event. All are promising skaters.

Keegan had a good at showing at Autumn Classic until a lace broke, Nic has been out for the fall due to injury, and Roman is moving up to seniors while managing through a major growth spurt. Will be interesting to she how this international experience goes for them.

da96103

Record Breaker
This event is happening on the same weekend as GPF. Oh my what a busy weekend to watch two competitions.