Entries 2016 Golden Spin of Zagreb | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Entries 2016 Golden Spin of Zagreb

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
So wish Golden Spin happened either this week or the week after the GPF. The entries are so good that it's not easy to give this up and watch GPF solely.

Sackie

Medalist
Those among us who follow Canadian skating are pleased to see Keegan Messing, Roman Sadowsky, Nicholas Nadeau as entries in the mens's event. All are promising skaters.

Keegan had a good at showing at Autumn Classic until a lace broke, Nic has been out for the fall due to injury, and Roman is moving up to seniors while managing through a major growth spurt. Will be interesting to she how this international experience goes for them.
It is good that they are sending 3 men but why no entries in the other disciplines. Ruest/Wolfe have been showing some good promise and can only get better the more they get out there and skate internationally. And Paul/islam could use another outing for sure - and there is also Soucisse/Firus in Dance.
And I think Alaine needs to be out there again after her last showing. She needs to have a few more miles in front of international judges to get back some of her momentum from last year.
They need to be sending skaters to these events as much as possible. Look at what happened in CAN Dance last year. Paul/Islam were expected to be the 3rd entry at worlds but they faltered at Nationals and we had to send a less experienced team who ended up not even making it into the Free Dance because they were unknowns.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
It is good that they are sending 3 men but why no entries in the other disciplines. Ruest/Wolfe have been showing some good promise and can only get better the more they get out there and skate internationally. And Paul/islam could use another outing for sure - and there is also Soucisse/Firus in Dance.
And I think Alaine needs to be out there again after her last showing. She needs to have a few more miles in front of international judges to get back some of her momentum from last year.
They need to be sending skaters to these events as much as possible. Look at what happened in CAN Dance last year. Paul/Islam were expected to be the 3rd entry at worlds but they faltered at Nationals and we had to send a less experienced team who ended up not even making it into the Free Dance because they were unknowns.

Might just be money. SC is quite in the hole.

TGee

Record Breaker

Totally agree Canadians that other disciplines could benefit from more international experience. It's a theme that's come up on the State of Canada figure skating thread quite a bit. Most of us are trying to take a positive view, and hope that This represents a new trend for Skate Canada.

In this case, several of the names you mention are skating at Skate Canada Challenge this week, the qualifier for nationals for those who don't have a bye. Encourage you to join us in watching that and discussing on its own thread.

But would have liked to have had Canadians at Warsaw Cup and Tallinn Trophy as well.

Note also that Sousisse/Firus did get a second ISU international and now have the minimum TES requirement for both 4CC and Worlds.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Team Australia will be fresh from Nationals and ready to kick behind! :yahoo:

russell30

Final Flight
Polina Edmunds had "resumed full training while continuing rehab," per USFS on Oct 12, at the time of her withdrawal from Rostelecom.

Did I miss a subsequent announcement that she had to go back to training without jumps again??

The Nov 8 announcement of her withdrawal from NHK does not say that.

It looks like Polina has resumed light training but she needs to get her jumps back! I THINK SHE MAY BE OUT FOR REST OF SEASON, come back strong for Olympic year...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
you are correct that Paul/Islam should have gotten a chance but they already had 2GPS... too bad they had food poisoning and couldn't compete in Asia.
Alaine also had two GPs and ACI. I think that it would of course be nice, considering she didn't have a great outing in NHK but at the same time, who knew? right?
For Firus and Soucisse, I think they can develop a bit more before being sent... Next year though, yes...
Finally, I do agree... Ruest and Wolfe need the exposure to events. They did well in Russia. I like them. Promising. Could have to do with doing Challenge as well though...

See my final answer later... just thought I would address your post first.
Might just be money. SC is quite in the hole.

well... money rules everything... always.. that's the unfortunate truth.... Figure skating is such an expensive sport on top of that... something needs to be done so at least the top emerging skaters get a chance outside of GP.

Totally agree Canadians that other disciplines could benefit from more international experience. It's a theme that's come up on the State of Canada figure skating thread quite a bit. Most of us are trying to take a positive view, and hope that This represents a new trend for Skate Canada.

In this case, several of the names you mention are skating at Skate Canada Challenge this week, the qualifier for nationals for those who don't have a bye. Encourage you to join us in watching that and discussing on its own thread.

But would have liked to have had Canadians at Warsaw Cup and Tallinn Trophy as well.

Note also that Sousisse/Firus did get a second ISU international and now have the minimum TES requirement for both 4CC and Worlds.

Nicolas, Roman and Keegan all need another outing : here's why... Who is making the National team in men's this year, let alone the podium? Who will go to the Olympics? I think that Kevin has shown he wants his spot back but will he keep it? I think he should have also had another assignment.

Ice Dance is pretty much set for the next couple years with 3 excellent top ten in the worlds team.
Pairs, 4 teams are also strong top ten contenders.
Ladies : our 3 top ladies will fight for the podium for the next couple years at Nationals and all had 2 Gps each and a challenger. I wouldn't be surprised if they continued after the 2018 games, if not for the whole quad, for a couple years... they are all still pretty young.

So, considering Skate Canada may have limited $$$, where should they invest? Men... not only Patrick Chan is on his last competitions but there is no established succession. Kevin will probably retire after the games as well.. .he already has a silver in the team event... he's won 4CC.. He's been through so much... i could see him do one more year just to get a National title but yeah... Nam is still growing and developing but was lucky to have two GPs. Nicolas has been hurt. He needs to compete. Keegan was robbed by his laces at ACI ;) he was skating so well. His jumps were spot on. Roman has been steadily improving. These guys will be competing with Nam, Elladj and Kevin for the top 5 at Nationals. ( I unfortunately think that Liam is not in good condition scoring only 70 pts in the SP at Challenge but I hope he will have a better LP. ... ) So I think that's why Skate Canada wants to invest on the men right now... the other disciplines look pretty much all set but the men it's anyone's game for #2-6. Considering that Patrick is a contender at worlds, Canada needs a very strong showing from its second man to get 3 guys for the Olympics. I think that's part of the reason why men are getting another shot...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
happy for them just thought K/O were suppose to go??

Possible that it was Tarah/Danny themselves who chose not to go ... before S/B were added.

Impossible to know what happened behind the scenes, but at least in terms of public information, the chronology was:
Tarah/Danny appeared on the original ISU list of Golden Spin entries.
On Monday, USFS first added Golden Spin assignments to its online page, and Tarah/Danny's names were not included.
It was not until today that S/B's names showed up on revised USFS and ISU lists.​

skatemouse

On the Ice
Hope K/O are not injured??? I know things are private as much as possible for the skaters but does anyone know????
Is it not possible that Scimeca and Knerim can go???

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Hope K/O are not injured??? I know things are private as much as possible for the skaters but does anyone know????
Is it not possible that Scimeca and Knerim can go???

The USA assignments to Golden Spin weren't official until they went up on the USFSA website. So I don't think there is reason for concern. K&O had a good skate at NHK and were very happy with it.

Obviously USFSA will support Scimeca & Knierim whenever they are ready. If they were ready and wanted the assignment, they would be on the list.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Some strong entries especially in ladies, but what I'm nost interested in is seeing Popova and Mozgov together for the first time!

Me too. And Czolley and Myslievckova. And H/B. Well hell's bells, I'm a dance uber. I wanna see all of 'em!

:hap36: