2017 Canadian Nats General Info | Golden Skate

2017 Canadian Nats General Info

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The 2017 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships (CTNSC17 for short) are in Ottawa, Ontario at The Arena at TD Place from January 16-22, 2017. The championships kick off Canada's 150th anniversary in the nation's capital. The national novice, junior, and senior medallists in all four disciplines will be determined here. About 250 skaters will be competing. Along with medals Skate Canada will be determining the athletes to be sent to the 2017 Junior World Championships, Four Continents, and World Championships based on the results of CTNSC17.

Single event tickets go on sale Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 10 AM: https://skatecanada.ca/2016/11/2017...ships-single-event-tickets-on-sale-wednesday/
All event tickets are already on sale.

Official website: https://skatecanada.ca/events/2017-canadian-tire-national-skating-championships/
Live streaming: http://www.dailymotion.com/SkateCanada

CTV/TSN will likely be broadcasting the last groups of the senior events and the entire pairs event.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker

nadster

Final Flight
The cool thing is that there are 21 senior men at nationals this year.

That means that Messing , Sadovsky and Nadeau's Golden Spin slots did not reduce the number of people who qualified through the challenge.

Usually it is 18 - byed skaters that make it to nationals out of challenge to ensure only 18 skate at nationals.

Ellie493

Rinkside
All-event package for sale

Hey guys, I'm selling an all-event package I bought on the day that the same were released (excellent seats!) for it's face value, since the person who was supposed to join me cannot attend.
Let me know if you're interested by sending me a private message.
If you're looking for not one but two event packages, please be aware that I might be willing to sell the one I intended to use myself as well, given that I am not yet sure as to whether I'll be able to make it.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Ellie you may want to post this in the 'For Sale' subforum on here. You'd be more likely to find a buyer.

Sackie

Medalist
So Veronique M is not listed. Anyone have any word on her? Is she just still injured or has she given up completely?

Sackie

Medalist
Also noticed a couple others who are not listed: Selena Zhao and Roxanne Rheault. Any news on either of them.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Only 9 Senior Ice Dance Teams, but there 14 Junior ones, I guess it's not bad :) Top3 is pretty much decided, but I'm curious how other teams will do. And as always a fight in Ladies will be really interesting!

skatefancanada

Spectator
Does anyone know what the actual rule is on this? I thought the number of skaters with a 'bye' was deducted from 18 and the remaining spots filled from Challenge. That seems to be what has always occurred in the past, but not in this case. Good news though for skaters like S. Davis who I enjoy watching.

The cool thing is that there are 21 senior men at nationals this year.

That means that Messing , Sadovsky and Nadeau's Golden Spin slots did not reduce the number of people who qualified through the challenge.

Usually it is 18 - byed skaters that make it to nationals out of challenge to ensure only 18 skate at nationals.

Kypma

Final Flight
Does anyone know what the actual rule is on this? I thought the number of skaters with a 'bye' was deducted from 18 and the remaining spots filled from Challenge. That seems to be what has always occurred in the past, but not in this case. Good news though for skaters like S. Davis who I enjoy watching.

I thought so too - the relevant page from Skate Canada's website appears to agree with your math. Excerpt re-posted here:

In novice, junior and senior events a maximum of 18 men, 18 women, 12 pairs and 15 ice dance teams. [snip] For example, if there are two senior women byes awarded then a maximum of 16 women only could qualify at the Skate Canada Challenge for the Canadian Figure Skating Championships, where a total field of 18 women would be entered.

I find it odd that the men's field was expanded and not the women's as well...

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I wanted to mention here that Ted Barton and Debbi Wilkes are doing commentary before and after performances. They have also planned to have Tarrah Harvey doing interviews with the leaders after an event and the last skater in each group. They plan to air a clip from Tessa & Scott's novice days. ;)

coucou84

On the Ice
Last year, Skate Canada had live scoring...... anyone knows if they are doing that this year too or not?

TGee

Record Breaker
Live Scoring is now a separate web page with a button link off the main page...which seems to work better than having it as an additional tab in the chart on the main page.