Onsite Reports: NHK 2016 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Onsite Reports: NHK 2016

TGee

Record Breaker
Plushies??? Is that stuffed animals? I'd hate to see my Russian Skating Dreamboat thrown onto the ice.....:drama:

A less witty response than karne's, but dropping a line to say that my kids' generation in Canada calls them 'stuffies'.

And I now realize that when I've referred on GS to stuffies being tossed on the ice most folks didn't know what I meant.... :palmf:

Stuffies and plushies seem to be generic compromises to recognize that many of them aren't animals.....rather fantasy creatures, monsters and Pokemon characters.

(We did hear plush animals in the past, especially in the west where English has a more recent British flare.)

BTW the figure skating custom here of donating to a kids sports charity in exchange for stuffies at major events has now spread to hockey....with a stuffie toss competition...:party:

http://kitchenerrangers.com/introducing-canadian-tire-jumpstart-as-teddy-bear-toss-partner

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Were there any Practice Reports? Knowing how much skating is loved in Japan....updates anyone? Thanks, or 感謝 in advance!

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Stuffies and plushies
At least those words make sense. In my native language, we call them knuffels, i.e. "cuddles". Not sure how one can throw cuddles onto the ice floor, but I'd sure like to try sometime. :biggrin:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
At least those words make sense. In my native language, we call them knuffels, i.e. "cuddles". Not sure how one can throw cuddles onto the ice floor, but I'd sure like to try sometime. :biggrin:

Thank you Winnie! When my son now 15, was a child, his favorite book was Knuffle Bunny. The word was new to us but it makes sense now that this was a term from your country and the book likely translated as best it could.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x53d133_羽生-日野-田中-宮原-樋口-松田_sport
As usual Japanese Media cover Yuzu and team Japan almost exclusively.
Here is some practice footage of Yuzu and a bit of Satoko as well as Ryuju and Keiji. At the press conference, someone asked Yuzu about Nathan Chen and he said Nathan's Flip and Lutz, being more difficult than his Loop gave him good motivation that there is no limit and than one can always grow more.

firal

Record Breaker
For those of you looking for practice reports, NHK trophy almost never has any practices opened to the public, so it's up to the people on the inside to share anything if we are to hear anything before the real thing starts...in a few hours!