New boots: advice needed | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New boots: advice needed

tereskacz

Rinkside
I found that it was pretty hard to compare support between brands because it depends what fits your foot as well. If the boot is too wide for you or the incorrect shape, it is going to be less supportive than the same or even higher stiffness in a brand that fits your foot well. I tried the Edea Chorus in the correct length and because it was very large around my ankle, it felt like I had no support at all despite the 70 stiffness rating. For me, it was much less supportive than the RF3 Pro which has a 60 rating.

I had a lot of trouble deciding what stiffness to go for in my new boots and went from a Jackson Mystique (15 stiffness rating) for the RF3 Pro (60 stiffness rating) and they're going well so far. Height, weight and skating frequency are also relevant to the decision regarding support ratings :)
That is very interesting. Thank you very much!! I am afraid if RF3 PRO may be to stiff.. was it hard to break in? I tried Overtures (48) and they felt like 15, extreemly easy to bend the knee but didn't felt the support. They didn't feel stiff even in hand.But maybe it is just different a one have to get used to that.

tereskacz

Rinkside
I have the old RF3s and also a pair of Edea Overtures. The RF3 (45) is definitely stiffer and sturdier compared to the Overture. My guess is the Chorus would be a little less stiff than the new RF3 PRO. I'll have a look at the new RF3 the next time I'm at a shop but that won't be for at least a couple of months.

That would be great!!!!! Thanks. Will wait for info.

Ange

Rinkside
That is very interesting. Thank you very much!! I am afraid if RF3 PRO may be to stiff.. was it hard to break in? I tried Overtures (48) and they felt like 15, extreemly easy to bend the knee but didn't felt the support. They didn't feel stiff even in hand.But maybe it is just different a one have to get used to that.

Interesting you say that because I too felt unsupported when I tried on the previous RF3 that Risport made (stiffness of 45). The ankle support was alright but I found there just wasn't enough support in the tongue at that rating. So it might be the fact you need a bit more support in the tongue, which you get if you go for a higher rating.

There hasn't been any break in time for me, which I find super odd :scratch2: They don't even rub anywhere. I'm a bit confused as to how that happened but I'm not complaining! When I was buying my boots, my coach told me that stiffness does not matter as much as being comfortable and being able to bend your ankles and knees. If you can get a good ankle bend without fighting the tongue and the boot doesn't cut in anywhere, it is probably an alright level boot for you.

And I guess it depends on your personal preference too. I prefer the feel of a stiffer boot. But I think that an adult beginner would be fine to start out in a Risport 60 stiffness support rating (haven't skated in other brands except for my Mystiques so can't give insight into how this compares to other brands). This is a really helpful website to have a look at, which outlines the ideal stiffness ratings for youth and adults at each skating level: https://www.kinziescloset.com/skate-comparison-guide.html

tereskacz

Rinkside
Why did you change the brand? Just wanted to try or do you have narrow foot? I actually wanted jacksons because i have wide ball and elite last seemed to be ideal. But when the jackson freestyle fusion came to the shop I was disappointed (probably bad spelling - sorry). No memory foam, very poor padding, actually same padding and lining is in my basics local brand boots for few dolars. And Jacksons are quite expensive over here. Well, i thought that if other brands give better padding (comfort) for the same price, I'l go for other brands. Still cant make my mind :sarcasm:
One more question about risport (dont have qualified fitter here, would have to go to italy): I hear that Risport unlike Edea should be bigger then the foot. Is that true? Do you know what is current difference between your foot lenghth and boot size?

Ange

Rinkside
Why did you change the brand? Just wanted to try or do you have narrow foot? I actually wanted jacksons because i have wide ball and elite last seemed to be ideal. But when the jackson freestyle fusion came to the shop I was disappointed (probably bad spelling - sorry). No memory foam, very poor padding, actually same padding and lining is in my basics local brand boots for few dolars. And Jacksons are quite expensive over here. Well, i thought that if other brands give better padding (comfort) for the same price, I'l go for other brands. Still cant make my mind :sarcasm:
One more question about risport (dont have qualified fitter here, would have to go to italy): I hear that Risport unlike Edea should be bigger then the foot. Is that true? Do you know what is current difference between your foot lenghth and boot size?

I have quite narrow feet, so Risport was actually the only brand that worked for me. My foot is 247mm in a skating sock and I wear a 250mm Risport, which is perfect for me. I found that the size chart, which I checked in addition to being fitted, was quite accurate. So you can have a look at length and width charts to get a better idea of brand before being measured by an experienced fitter. I can't try on Riedell in Australia but have been advised against it by a couple people, so I didn't look into Riedell at all. For me, I found that Edea had a nice narrow toe but a wide heel/ankle/calf area. I found the Jackson to be too wide everywhere - almost like I needed to add 2cm to the whole width of my foot and ankle. I knew that the Jackson would be too wide from the beginning because I had to tie up my Mystiques as tight as I physically could. (It was the only brand I could get in my state when I was starting out). So the boot you end up going for will largely depend on what works best for your foot.

If I understood your post correctly, you mentioned that you liked the Jackson Elite. This is a high-level boot which is why it has so much more padding (75 stiffness for doubles). It's much stiffer than the RF3 Pro and I know a couple people that are struggling to break in theirs. So if you're worried about overbooting in an RF3 Pro, the Elite is a considerable jump. The Freestyle Fusion only has a 45 stiffness support rating, which is why it has less padding.

Also, if you have the opportunity, I would recommend to go to a pro shop and try everything on, then come back later once you've had a chance to think... Just make sure the shop has enough stock! Then you can try on the options on another day and make sure you're happy with your decision. It's a lot of pressure to make a decision on the spot in my experience :)

SusanaFG

Rinkside
Hi!
I need advice too!! I'm changing my boots because I have problems with the current boots(risport very old and are big), pain, cramps, sleeping feet.... Now, I'm checking between RF3 Pro New and Jackson 5200, however, the shop haven't stock for Jackson and you have to be very sure to import them.
Today, in the shop, they measured my foot and after to try the "correct number" of RF3 Pro, it was big (I'm waiting for a smaller number). The seller measured my foot while I was sitting, he say that is ok, it is strange because with other models of risport the same thing happened.

I have a "egyptian" and narrow foot, arch is normal, however, I don't know if my heel is narrow.

I know that for this is better Risport for narrow foot but I hate a little Risport after one year with pain. A friend had a similar problem, she changed to Jakson 4200 and she is very happy.

How do you now if the hell is narrow?
What do you recommend?

:pray:

SusanaFG

Rinkside
Interesting you say that because I too felt unsupported when I tried on the previous RF3 that Risport made (stiffness of 45). The ankle support was alright but I found there just wasn't enough support in the tongue at that rating. So it might be the fact you need a bit more support in the tongue, which you get if you go for a higher rating.

There hasn't been any break in time for me, which I find super odd :scratch2: They don't even rub anywhere. I'm a bit confused as to how that happened but I'm not complaining! When I was buying my boots, my coach told me that stiffness does not matter as much as being comfortable and being able to bend your ankles and knees. If you can get a good ankle bend without fighting the tongue and the boot doesn't cut in anywhere, it is probably an alright level boot for you.

And I guess it depends on your personal preference too. I prefer the feel of a stiffer boot. But I think that an adult beginner would be fine to start out in a Risport 60 stiffness support rating (haven't skated in other brands except for my Mystiques so can't give insight into how this compares to other brands). This is a really helpful website to have a look at, which outlines the ideal stiffness ratings for youth and adults at each skating level: https://www.kinziescloset.com/skate-comparison-guide.html

What width you have in risport AA, B or C?

My feet is 245mm and the web page of risport say add 10mm. I don't know if I need 245 or 250 and my width is 215mm of circunference (9'3cm of width). I don't know if AA is very narrow because my instep is normal, I suposse. I live in Spain and here we don't have technical shop in skate.

Artistry

On the Ice
What width you have in risport AA, B or C?

My feet is 245mm and the web page of risport say add 10mm. I don't know if I need 245 or 250 and my width is 215mm of circunference (9'3cm of width). I don't know if AA is very narrow because my instep is normal, I suposse. I live in Spain and here we don't have technical shop in skate.

Hi all!

This thread is too technical for me - I’m just returning to figure skating for exercize and have been renting skates. Can someone recommend a store in LA area where I can try on and buy white skating boots? I’m just trying to replicate the ones I had as a kid. The rental boots are huge and stiff. Thanks in advance!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all!

This thread is too technical for me - I’m just returning to figure skating for exercize and have been renting skates. Can someone recommend a store in LA area where I can try on and buy white skating boots? I’m just trying to replicate the ones I had as a kid. The rental boots are huge and stiff. Thanks in advance!

TSC Hockey and Skate Shop
Toyota Sports Center
555 N Nash St · (310) 535-4535
Open ⋅ Closes 9PM

There's also a decent pro shop inside the East West Ice Palace in Artesia:
Address

East West Ice Palace
11446 Artesia Blvd.
Artesia, CA 90701
Phone

(562) 809-6200
Fax

(562) 809-0399
Website

www.EastWestIcePalace.com

Quinn should be able to get you in what you need at the latter rink. Good luck!:cool:

Artistry

On the Ice
TSC Hockey and Skate Shop
Toyota Sports Center
555 N Nash St · (310) 535-4535
Open ⋅ Closes 9PM

There's also a decent pro shop inside the East West Ice Palace in Artesia:
Address

East West Ice Palace
11446 Artesia Blvd.
Artesia, CA 90701
Phone

(562) 809-6200
Fax

(562) 809-0399
Website

www.EastWestIcePalace.com

Quinn should be able to get you in what you need at the latter rink. Good luck!:cool:

Thank you very much!

SusanaFG

Rinkside
I have quite narrow feet, so Risport was actually the only brand that worked for me. My foot is 247mm in a skating sock and I wear a 250mm Risport, which is perfect for me. I found that the size chart, which I checked in addition to being fitted, was quite accurate. So you can have a look at length and width charts to get a better idea of brand before being measured by an experienced fitter. I can't try on Riedell in Australia but have been advised against it by a couple people, so I didn't look into Riedell at all. For me, I found that Edea had a nice narrow toe but a wide heel/ankle/calf area. I found the Jackson to be too wide everywhere - almost like I needed to add 2cm to the whole width of my foot and ankle. I knew that the Jackson would be too wide from the beginning because I had to tie up my Mystiques as tight as I physically could. (It was the only brand I could get in my state when I was starting out). So the boot you end up going for will largely depend on what works best for your foot.

If I understood your post correctly, you mentioned that you liked the Jackson Elite. This is a high-level boot which is why it has so much more padding (75 stiffness for doubles). It's much stiffer than the RF3 Pro and I know a couple people that are struggling to break in theirs. So if you're worried about overbooting in an RF3 Pro, the Elite is a considerable jump. The Freestyle Fusion only has a 45 stiffness support rating, which is why it has less padding.

Also, if you have the opportunity, I would recommend to go to a pro shop and try everything on, then come back later once you've had a chance to think... Just make sure the shop has enough stock! Then you can try on the options on another day and make sure you're happy with your decision. It's a lot of pressure to make a decision on the spot in my experience :)

Hi! What width you use? risport RF3 Pro?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! What width you use? risport RF3 Pro?

Width is different for everyone because our feet shapes are different. Just because one skater here can wear a certain width doesn't mean you can. Please refer to my post in the other thread you posted in.