2018 Winter Olympics Tickets | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2018 Winter Olympics Tickets

anyanka

Record Breaker
Are or have there been any linguistics challenges at venues? Or was it fairly easy to ask for directions and get around?

I remember the criticism when we had the games in Vancouver was that not enough people spoke French. People don't quite get that Vancouver's population is so diverse, with so many migrants from Asia, that French isn't as widely spoken in the local population as Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Hindi, Punjabi, Korean, Tagalog (Filipino) or even Farsi or Arabic as a second language. There were also volunteers who spoke European languages (ranging from Spanish to German to Czech and Croatian among others) but a lot of the tourists from western Europe / Scandinavia got along just fine with English.

As expected, we had loads of Russian visitors because it was the run-up to Sochi (and we turned our Science World attraction into "Sochi Dom" as a major hub for 2014 promotion), and there were few reports of complaints about not enough people speaking Russian, they just accepted it and worked with it. I found Russians to be perfectly pleasant (if not extroverted) people!

Sam L

Medalist
Has anyone been able to print out the print at home tickets for the practice sessions? I cannot. I swear this experience has been AN ORDEAL. Why do they make it so difficult?

Sam L

Medalist
I just got it as a mobile ticket. My ticketing hell ends now. Now to actually watching some figure skating.

kiches

Final Flight
Has anyone been able to print out the print at home tickets for the practice sessions? I cannot. I swear this experience has been AN ORDEAL. Why do they make it so difficult?

Yes, myself and others have printed. It’s definitely not a great experience or intuitive in Non-korean.

Are you on a Mac? I believe you might need to use Windows VM to load the anti-duplication driver. For me on a Windows machine I had to both change my region and language settings to korean so that the korean showed up and also download the driver (it should automatically prompt you each time to install it when you go to print). Just note that you must print to an actual device - no pdf printers or copy screen will work with the anti-duplication drivers installed.

Sam L

Medalist
Yes, myself and others have printed. It’s definitely not a great experience or intuitive in Non-korean.

Are you on a Mac? I believe you might need to use Windows VM to load the anti-duplication driver. For me on a Windows machine I had to both change my region and language settings to korean so that the korean showed up and also download the driver (it should automatically prompt you each time to install it when you go to print). Just note that you must print to an actual device - no pdf printers or copy screen will work with the anti-duplication drivers installed.

Thanks but I’m just going to use mobile ticket. I can see the ticket but there’s no barcode. Is there a barcode on your printed copy?

kiches

Final Flight
Are or have there been any linguistics challenges at venues? Or was it fairly easy to ask for directions and get around?

I remember the criticism when we had the games in Vancouver was that not enough people spoke French. People don't quite get that Vancouver's population is so diverse, with so many migrants from Asia, that French isn't as widely spoken in the local population as Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Hindi, Punjabi, Korean, Tagalog (Filipino) or even Farsi or Arabic as a second language. There were also volunteers who spoke European languages (ranging from Spanish to German to Czech and Croatian among others) but a lot of the tourists from western Europe / Scandinavia got along just fine with English.

As expected, we had loads of Russian visitors because it was the run-up to Sochi (and we turned our Science World attraction into "Sochi Dom" as a major hub for 2014 promotion), and there were few reports of complaints about not enough people speaking Russian, they just accepted it and worked with it. I found Russians to be perfectly pleasant (if not extroverted) people!

There are volunteers outside Gangneung Station, fewer elsewhere and they disappear late night. My tip if you’re planning to take a taxi is to get the address written in Korean and also a map in Korean. Even better, get the map/location on Naver as the cab drivers are not used to google maps if that’s what you use. When I zoom in google maps switches to English. Only when I zoom out that korean characters show up. Also be sure to note your accommodations phone number in case they need to call them for directions.

Directions like where shuttles are etc are pretty poor, most volunteers don’t seem to know much about that transportation and there’s a desk in the station to ask. I think the wayfinding for where to pick up a taxi and shuttle is practically non-existent and the Go Pyeongchang app isn’t granular enough in its directions to tell you exactly where to go to pick up your shuttle. I believe there are two entrances to the Olympic Park, one is closer to the rink and the other main entrance is a farther walk.

mag76er

Spectator
Hey guys im here in Gangneung. A few of my friends couldnt make it so i have extra seats for nearly every session. Call me at +13109306939 if you are in need of any. Have other non skating events as well

Cheers!
Marc

Wilwarin

On the Ice
Thanks. The ladies practice at 7am. I guess I find out on the day. Lol

If you want to keep the tickets it's best to print them out at ticket office. My friend had used first two of her mobile tickets and they disappeared (from the list in App), so she just went printing down the rest so she could keep them.

Sam L

Medalist
If you want to keep the tickets it's best to print them out at ticket office. My friend had used first two of her mobile tickets and they disappeared (from the list in App), so she just went printing down the rest so she could keep them.

I have a Cosport ticket and a printed ticket. This ones just for the practice I don’t want to keep it lol I’m not that sentimental.

Anyway, has anyone taken taxi in Gangneung? Can you pay with credit card?

annemn

Rinkside
I haven't tried to pay for a taxi in Gangneung specifically with a credit card - but in a year of living in Korea, I have yet to find a taxi anywhere in the country where it's not possible to pay by card. Sorry that's not a firm answer, but I'm 90% sure you should be able to.

Triplecomb

Rinkside
I have a Cosport ticket and a printed ticket. This ones just for the practice I don’t want to keep it lol I’m not that sentimental.

Anyway, has anyone taken taxi in Gangneung? Can you pay with credit card?

Yes you can pay with credit card and the price it is not so expensive, like 5000, 6000 w. The buses are free.

Triplecomb

Rinkside
Here are some clarifications on what I read here but that turned out to be wrong:

for the train tickets I made them safely the same day, here were all alarmed about having to book two months before but I had no problem buying them the same day.

for the free men's ticket I managed to find him the night before on the official website in category A, I did not understand why he gave them sold out and then a few days before it had put some of them on the market.