Russian Junior Nationals 2017 General Info | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Russian Junior Nationals 2017 General Info

The Finn

Record Breaker

hanca

Record Breaker
Tarusina is there which means that Kunitsa qualified also but he isn't fit to compete yet.

Very happy to see that Kvartalova/Sviatchenko is on the list.

Not many surprises on the lists, other than Petrov and Kondratyuk. Kondratyuk only skated one event but somehow he is on the list.

Happy about Kvartalova/Sviatchenko, but wondering what happened to Chuzhanova/Mintsev. This pair has been so unlucky. Last year they did two senior qualifying events and only one junior event because then one of them was injured, so they did not qualify to the junior nationals. (Wrong strategy used, they should have done two junior events first and only then worry about seniors events.) This year they qualified to junior nationals but are not listed. Did they split up or are they injured?

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Mishina and Mirzoev are going to finish skating this season together, at least, they haven't split yet.

The Finn

Record Breaker
I wonder if the Russian Fed is going to announce their skaters to the EYOF only after Junior nationals? The deadline of the entries was Jan 10 but the Russian Fed most likely sent a bunch of names and they will decide the actual skaters only after Junior nationals. This is what they did with the Youth Olympics last season.

Personally I think Kurakova would be a good choice for this event.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
There is real depth in all disciplines.

The Ladies field is stacked from top to bottom, I would think nearly any skater in the field would walk onto any other national squad (Japan excluded). It will be interesting to see who wins. My personal favourite is Polina T, I love her short programme, but I think Zagitova and her back loaded programme could be hard to beat. A real battle for the third spot, I would have Gubanova as the favourite for that.

Pairs, again great depth but things have changed in recent weeks. I would have had M/M as the clear favourite for both Russian Nationals and Junior worlds but with their split at the end of the season, I'm not sure how they will perform, I imagine it will be difficult for them. A/S have been very shaky since their first JGP and didn't have great skate this week in Moscow so I'm not sure if they will make the team. A definite contender for the title is B/K, they have gotten stronger with every skate this season, I wouldn't be surprised if they place first.

In Dance the top are clear, L/D and S/S, but their will be a battle for 3rd. I really hope P/V get it, I love their R&J free dance. For the Men I expect it to be Aliev, Samarin and Petrov, but maybe not in that order. I'm surprised to see Petrov here, I think it's a bit of a regressive step for him.

Looking forward to plenty of amazing skates. I hope St. Petersburg gives them all a great welcome.

The Finn

Record Breaker
The Ladies field is stacked from top to bottom, I would think nearly any skater in the field would walk onto any other national squad (Japan excluded). It will be interesting to see who wins. My personal favourite is Polina T, I love her short programme, but I think Zagitova and her back loaded programme could be hard to beat. A real battle for the third spot, I would have Gubanova as the favourite for that.

It would be a huge surprise if Alina doesn't win here. Can't really see that anyone could beat her. I am confident that Nastia and Polina will be the other medalists. Stasya beat Nastia at the Senior nationals but I doubt that will happen here.

I would have really wanted to see Mitrofanova here. If Mitrofanova would be here there would be four girls who can do 3+3 Daria style. Would have wanted to see all of them doing it here.

Pairs, again great depth but things have changed in recent weeks. I would have had M/M as the clear favourite for both Russian Nationals and Junior worlds but with their split at the end of the season, I'm not sure how they will perform, I imagine it will be difficult for them. A/S have been very shaky since their first JGP and didn't have great skate this week in Moscow so I'm not sure if they will make the team. A definite contender for the title is B/K, they have gotten stronger with every skate this season, I wouldn't be surprised if they place first.

B/K already beat M/M at the senior nationals and they could very well do it again here. Can't see any other team beating M/M though. It will be very interesting to see who is the 3rd team. I would say that it will most likely be U/V even though Alina has had jumping problems lately. Can't see A/S making it to the junior worlds and I also don't think that B/S is back to their usual standars either.

In Dance the top are clear, L/D and S/S, but their will be a battle for 3rd. I really hope P/V get it, I love their R&J free dance. For the Men I expect it to be Aliev, Samarin and Petrov, but maybe not in that order. I'm surprised to see Petrov here, I think it's a bit of a regressive step for him.

I am pretty confident that P/V will beat S/A. I watched S/A's latest programs at Moscow cup and their FD wasn't clean, Nastia had big error on twizzles. Overall S/A haven't got very high scores at domestic events and P/V could have beaten S/A already last year at the Junior nationals if Sofia hadn't had that costly fall in FD. I am confident that P/V will make it to the Junior Worlds this season. I doubt S/E or any other team not mentioned here can make it to the TOP 3.

We will see how it goes but I think Samarin might not be going to the Junior Worlds if he will make it to the Senior Worlds. If so, then there would be one open spot. I would expect Aliev to take one spot and personally I would rather see Erokhov or Savosin (or both if Samarin isn't going) to get the last spot(s).

Last edited:
Country
Russia
There is unofficial info, that in Junior Ladies WD Anna Scherbakova (injury) and Alisa Lozko (unknown reason). Substitutes will be Ekaterina Mitrofanova (Moscow, coach Tutberidze) and Elena Pavlova (StPetersburg, coach Pisarenko).
Info absolutely unofficial, may be so, may be not.

The Finn

Record Breaker
There is unofficial info, that in Junior Ladies WD Anna Scherbakova (injury) and Alisa Lozko (unknown reason). Substitutes will be Ekaterina Mitrofanova (Moscow, coach Tutberidze) and Elena Pavlova (StPetersburg, coach Pisarenko).

Scherbakova is injured, so, atlest that is likely true.

The Finn

Record Breaker

If this is true then what happened to Alena Kostornaya? She was suppose to be the 1st substitute. Did she WD also?

Country
Russia
If this is true then what happened to Alena Kostornaya? She was suppose to be the 1st substitute. Did she WD also?

I don't know. This weekend Kostornaya won Moscow Cup (Senior) with not so good skating - serious mistakes in SP, less serious in FS. 162.03 = 48.24 SP + 113.79 FS.

Lana05

Final Flight
It is kind of strange that there are 15 dancing pairs, because it is allowed only 12 in Senior Nationals. I think they should allow 15 pairs as well. I really liked Kvartalova/Sviatchenko FS (specially their costumes-space theme which I love) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8QJWWhfAic , hope they can pearform it well and gain a lot of fans. Pavluchenko/Khodykin also could be in top 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRI6ny2_fbw their technical score always is highter than others, but PC is lower at domestic starts.
In dance it is pretty open for third spot. I liked new Nazarov's partner.
Samarin, Aliev, Savosin, Erokhov and Petrov will fighting for 3 spots. Next year JGP assigments will probably get Artem Frolov from Tutberidze's group (he has good 3A & 4T at least in practice), Artur Danielyan i think, Evgeni Semenenko with 3A and the old ones.
In Junior field could happen the same as in senior, I mean somebody who is not age eligeble could be in top 3, i thought it would be Scherbakova, but if she is out proubably won't happen. I consider that if Gubanova will miss smth again third spot could be Daria Panenkova

The Finn

Record Breaker
It is kind of strange that there are 15 dancing pairs, because it is allowed only 12 in Senior Nationals. I think they should allow 15 pairs as well. I really liked Kvartalova/Sviatchenko FS (specially their costumes-space theme which I love) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8QJWWhfAic , hope they can pearform it well and gain a lot of fans. Pavluchenko/Khodykin also could be in top 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRI6ny2_fbw their technical score always is highter than others, but PC is lower at domestic starts.

There were only 10 senior ice dance teams at the senior championships, not 12. There were 12 senior pairs though. I too was hoping that Russian Fed would have taken 15 junior pairs this season but since Kvartalova/Sviatchenko made it here anyway I am not too upset that they didn't take more than 12 pairs.

Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin is a very promising pair but based on last weekend's programs at Moscow cup I think that it is unlikely that they would make it to the TOP 3. Personally I am hoping that Ustimkina/Volodin would be the 3rd here.

Last edited:
Country
Russia
It is kind of strange that there are 15 dancing pairs, because it is allowed only 12 in Senior Nationals.
At Senior Nationals also allowed up to 15 dance couples. But high-level Senior dance couples are not so multiple, Junior couples don't pretend because of different programs. Federation year by year allows up to 15 dance couples, but limits to 10, not 12 (i.e. two full warm-ups).
Junior dance couples are more multiple, so at Junior Nationals are all allowed 15 (three full warm-ups) or a bit less (because of WD).