GPF2016: Onsite Reports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

GPF2016: Onsite Reports

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I read on twitter that none of the Russians were at the rink today, just Kaetlyn and Satoko. I have also read that the crowd was almost 80% Japanese...how would this sport survive without these fans - thank you!

Japanese fans are the best in the world---they applaud for ALL the skaters, not just the ones from their own country.

uhh

Medalist
@YesWay I was told by the arena that spectators are not allowed to take their own food & drink in. Don't know how strict they will be enforcing it, but just in case you don't want to risk it!

mrrice

Record Breaker
No more embarrassing than bad ice for Worlds.

Has bad ice condition been so common before? Or is it just more noticed due to increased attention paid to it?

This is a good question. I don't think I've seen bad ice at a major event. Helsinki had great ice in 1999, as did Vancouver in 2001. The rink in Greensboro had a puddle in one of the corners but it didn't seem to effect the skaters.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Japanese fans are the best in the world---they applaud for ALL the skaters, not just the ones from their own country.

It's just that they go crazy for their favorite Japanese and throw insane quantities of stuffed toys for them.

They are great seat fillers for events all over the world where their favorite goes. :) Yen is the ISU currency.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I have met very kind and supporting Japanese fans. They make the best banners !!!! I have also met some who left after V/M's free dance, before H/B were about to hit the ice, creating a lot of turmoil while leaving... I have also met some who left their cushions or jacket or whatever, saving a seat for 3-4 hours only to come watch the last couple skaters.

Please stop generalizations. There are good and bad fans from every nation.

Last edited:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
It's just that they go crazy for their favorite Japanese and throw insane quantities of stuffed toys for them.

They are great seat fillers for events all over the world where their favorite goes. :) Yen is the ISU currency.

Don't you think that word "seat filler " is a big insult I wonder?...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I didn't read it as such. It's nice to have plenty of fans at events... we always complain when the seats are empty...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

I don't mean any insult. Seat fillers are ticket buyers and funders of figure skating. As a figure skating fan, I'm not that unwise as to insult the enthusiastic supporters who put their money where their mouths are.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
@YesWay I was told by the arena that spectators are not allowed to take their own food & drink in. Don't know how strict they will be enforcing it, but just in case you don't want to risk it!
Hmm.. well I guess I'll risk it tomorrow and see what happens...!

The security guy who checked my bag today, didn't complain about my beef jerky at least :-D

I wouldn't mind buying my food and drink inside the arena... as long as they have enough facilities, and it doesn't require queueing forever and missing the skating...! But I'm not sure that will be the case... o_O

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Bringing over from Yuzu's thread

http://www.asahi.com/articles/photo/AS20161208000048...

There were some problems on lo and sal mostly on edge jumps, the ice is soft and other athletes also had same kind of problems mostly on edge jumps. Yuzu " Its kind of subtle feeling, having difficulty on creating good axis for jumps, so there are some problems, On the other hand , on positive note, skating itself is going very smooth"

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Arrived yesterday and got to the rink bright and early today. The queue at around 8 am was 30 m long, maybe a 100 persons, 95% Japanese. There probably will not be major mass rushes to the non-numbered seats as feared due to strict security.

Sat through the practice day. Junior Men were a bit subdued, not too convincing yet. Cha maybe slightly ahead? Love seeing everyone live! Savosin was far too slow for his music, Kraznozhon has to really work those jumps... In Junior ladies, the Japanese were not too stellar technically, but Honda and Kihira were good to watch despite that. Sakamoto executes, by does not perform really. Gubanova jumps surprisingly heavily, looks laborued, but otherwise lovely movement. Nugumanova left no memory.

I have not followed the junior pairs or ice dance, so have really nothing to say.

Senior ice dance practice was flat with the two top pairs missing. Shibutanis were ok, maia could be sharper in the hiphoppy arm movements. Pairs not really my thing, missing Aliona and Bruno.

Senior ladies was Kaetlyn and Satoko. Kaetlyn lands like a ton of bricks most of the time but I still like her movement. Satoko light as a fearther. Some problems with jumps for both. Kaetlyn did fine in the end.

In senior men I had eyes only for Javi so have only faint notions of the others. No gloriously confident showing of anyone's was my impression... the clothes twins theme was funny. They should maybe start coordinating their clothes before public appearances...

It was cold, dreadful seats and that camera stand in front of some of the best seats in the arena... there seems to be one also on the other side. Am happy that I did not invest in the "best" seats.

Had dinner in the same restaurant as Aruntunyan - wondered what he was doing at this side of the town when the official hotel is on the other side.

E

frida80

Record Breaker
Arrived yesterday and got to the rink bright and early today. The queue at around 8 am was 30 m long, maybe a 100 persons, 95% Japanese. There probably will not be major mass rushes to the non-numbered seats as feared due to strict security.

Sat through the practice day. Junior Men were a bit subdued, not too convincing yet. Cha maybe slightly ahead? Love seeing everyone live! Savosin was far too slow for his music, Kraznozhon has to really work those jumps... In Junior ladies, the Japanese were not too stellar technically, but Honda and Kihira were good to watch despite that. Sakamoto executes, by does not perform really. Gubanova jumps surprisingly heavily, looks laborued, but otherwise lovely movement. Nugumanova left no memory.

I have not followed the junior pairs or ice dance, so have really nothing to say.

Senior ice dance practice was flat with the two top pairs missing. Shibutanis were ok, maia could be sharper in the hiphoppy arm movements. Pairs not really my thing, missing Aliona and Bruno.

Senior ladies was Kaetlyn and Satoko. Kaetlyn lands like a ton of bricks most of the time but I still like her movement. Satoko light as a fearther. Some problems with jumps for both. Kaetlyn did fine in the end.

In senior men I had eyes only for Javi so have only faint notions of the others. No gloriously confident showing of anyone's was my impression... the clothes twins theme was funny. They should maybe start coordinating their clothes before public appearances...

It was cold, dreadful seats and that camera stand in front of some of the best seats in the arena... there seems to be one also on the other side. Am happy that I did not invest in the "best" seats.

Had dinner in the same restaurant as Aruntunyan - wondered what he was doing at this side of the town when the official hotel is on the other side.

E

I love you! Thank you for this report!:agree:;)

icekiwi

On the Ice
A big Thank You to those who posted 'live' reports!!

Really enjoyed reading about the condition of the seats, the weather, temperature inside arena, walking on pavements, what the city is like, graffiti, etc.

Thank you, keep them coming. What are the hotels and cafes like?

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Try my best to pay back all those times i've been enjoying other people's report :)

The city center is smallish, but beautiful with a big hill and the impressive notre dame church on top. The old port region is lovely also, especially in this sunny weather! The area where the rink is, is a bit sketchy but ok.

I ate in the touristy area yesterday and not too well, but then I was too busy with the museums (profession problem) that food was not the main thing. Today a nice dinner near my hotel and sea food was quote good. Prices are higher than in Rome, but lower than what they will be in Helsinki.

I like marseille already a lot. Beautiful despite little scruffiness.

E

Esopian

Final Flight
Flying to Marseille tomorrow morning! Very excited for this competition, will update more when I get there. :agree:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If you ever feel sad, there are always google translations to cheer you up...Anyway, I send good wishes to Honda and I hope she is very well for the comp!
(How hard is it to make ice of the correct temp? I have seen lakes on the ice at soooo many comps....is it that hard?)

"Sakamoto who restrained all Japan juniors this season was performing well. 3 turning flip - 3 turns ice creeping jumps such as jumping jumps one by one. "I hope to get points with an impact 3-3 (three consecutive turns) jump," he said.

Honda said that there was a high fever around 39 degrees the day before, "I got better today, the meal that I could not eat yesterday was also edible today, the body moved better than I thought." I decided a continuous three-turn jumps lightly. Kippe struggled with soft ice, the axis of the jump tilted and repeated many times and caressed his neck. However, there was brightness in the expression, and I wanted to go with it until the actual turn.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Try my best to pay back all those times i've been enjoying other people's report :)

The city center is smallish, but beautiful with a big hill and the impressive notre dame church on top. The old port region is lovely also, especially in this sunny weather! The area where the rink is, is a bit sketchy but ok.

I ate in the touristy area yesterday and not too well, but then I was too busy with the museums (profession problem) that food was not the main thing. Today a nice dinner near my hotel and sea food was quote good. Prices are higher than in Rome, but lower than what they will be in Helsinki.

I like marseille already a lot. Beautiful despite little scruffiness.

E

Scruffiness? Street people in cardboard boxes? Citizens of ill reput? Warehouse district?