2016-17 GPF Free Dance | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Free Dance

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
I disagree... This season programs are made for both shine, Madison and Evan. I read somewhere people saying they were drowned to Evan in the FD.

Not put P/C along with your choices of most musical ice dancers for me is a weird idea.

Not for me. I don't find them musical and they lack natural rhythm. You know what they say about opinions...

Can't find the specific post, but the mention of P/C made me think of it - how the Shibs have more movement in their lower bodies than their upper bodies. Makes me remember a skating book I read which included this quote: "the hardest thing is to keep an arm still". To keep the upper body quiet (not rigid). The upper body stillness the Shibs are able to sustain when they skate goes to their core strength and beautiful, strong, stroking. I agree with David Wilson - nothing I hate more than a lot of random arm movements. Understood that most arm movements are choreography, but IMO often as not the choreographic intention is to camoflage something missing down below.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Not for me. I don't find them musical and they lack natural rhythm. You know what they say about opinions...

Can't find the specific post, but the mention of P/C made me think of it - how the Shibs have more movement in their lower bodies than their upper bodies. Makes me remember a skating book I read which included this quote: "the hardest thing is to keep an arm still". To keep the upper body quiet (not rigid). The upper body stillness the Shibs are able to sustain when they skate goes to their core strength and beautiful, strong, stroking. I agree with David Wilson - nothing I hate more than a lot of random arm movements. Understood that most arm movements are choreography, but IMO often as not the choreographic intention is to camoflage something missing down below.

I can't remember which one it was, but Uncle Dick Button got a bugaboo about precisely that one competition. For skater after skater he called them out on ridiculous arm flailing that had no relation to the music of the program but was supposed to impart an aura of Artistic Seriousness. He did for skater after skater. It was rather hilarious.

yuna13

On the Ice
V/M are just the best. They'll win the olympic gold. I am really excited to see you raging when V/M will get the olympic gold.:party2:

Enough I had enough of your comments. I've been a fan of V/M since 2010 Olympic their free dance was everything. I was sorry for them during the 2013-2014 season. I Don't understand How their Carmen program didn't win at world. I wanted a true and fair fight between them and the Americans and I felt sorry for them cause the judges chose D/W every time. As a fan of ice dance what I want is a fair match between teams that's all. I never said that tessa and Scott are overrated. Last year the ice dance competition was so good because the shibs had a wonderful free dance as did the French.i thought it was a beautiful match between two great teams. The French won but if the shibs would have won i would've be pleased as well cause their program was just Georgous. Now yes if I have to choose between the French and the Canadian. I choose the French and it's not because i'm French: I love the way they move. Like for instance them being my favourite team doesn't mean that I can't critize them. This year my favourite free dance is G/P tango not the French. You clairly don't want a match you just want V/M to win no matter what. I'm not like that I thought that Saturday the French should have won the free that's all. Keep trashing me I will no longer answer.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Does anyone know where I can find the FD version of Bobrova/Soloviev's music? Thanks in advance.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
that atrocious arrangement? I hope it doesn't exist anywhere... if you like the piano part only, it's Chopin's prelude in c minor... (no 20).

but the added violin line and then the vivaldi, that's been done by evil people...
Does anyone know where I can find the FD version of Bobrova/Soloviev's music? Thanks in advance.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
FWIW, and it's been mentioned elsewhere, but it turns out that someone identified the last part of the music -- "Truman Sleeps" from The Truman Show soundtrack. And the original piece by Phillip Glass is actually a piano piece. Alex worked on the orchestral arrangement with the San Francisco Orchestra. Seems like a lot of effort for just a judge point grab.

I think it's a matter that perhaps the challenge of showing their connection to this music. The music, unlike Fix You, doesn't really lend itself to raw emotion or connection, so they have to find other ways to show it. I think they'll get there.

Quiet reflection is an emotion. Serenity is an emotion. Satisfaction at a job well done (that ending!) is an emotion.

Not every emotion is big and showy.

Sorry Mrs P but it's a big bugaboo for me this season.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Quiet reflection is an emotion. Serenity is an emotion. Satisfaction at a job well done (that ending!) is an emotion.

Not every emotion is big and showy.

Sorry Mrs P but it's a big bugaboo for me this season.

I guess I should clarify that when I say this music doesn't lend it self to loudly display raw emotion or connection. I definitely agree that there is emotion/connection expressed, but clearly that isn't coming across to some folks for whatever reason -- I think the Shibs still have work to do in that regard.

That said, I like the ending too.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I guess I should clarify that when I say this music doesn't lend it self to loudly display raw emotion or connection. I definitely agree that there is emotion/connection expressed, but clearly that isn't coming across to some folks for whatever reason -- I think the Shibs still have work to do in that regard.

That said, I like the ending too.

Oh I know exactly what you meant. I was just feeling ornery. People never give enough credit to the subtle.

:gaah:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I will disagree. I find them, along with Virtue and Moir and Cappellini and Lannotte, among the most musical ice dancers still competing. There are ice dancers with many medals who don't have a musical atom in their bodies. I also believe the Shibs are among the strongest technicians.

On a different front, I find when I look back on youtube that I really miss Madison Chock and her former partner, Greg Zuerlein, who were such great foils for each other. For me, Chock & Bates are ill-matched. In this particular event, the short program especially, they needed a lot more speed and sharpness to match all the face and attitude she's throwing out. She's got a great body and looks fantastic, she's working the face, but the skating sluggish. For that matter, why are their programs always choreographed to Madison? Evan could be a mannequin for all the programs pay attention to him. There are other teams where one or the other partner is considered the "star" but the "lesser" partner is never treated as just a prop to the extent they treat Evan.

Evan & Madison skating reminds me Khokhlova & Novitski in how programs are constructed around her. Evan is much stronger technically fortunately, his lanky body distracts me little bit though as well as bit over the top expression from Madison. I like them much more than in previous seasons and I find their SD cool. As for Shibutanis, they're almost aways solid and without glaring errors but they rarely amaze me. The last flashes of brilliance were in Boston or Nationals in their Free Dance. They lack something that in Polish is called ''rozmach'' and in English ''panache''. I am sorry to say that but their free dance this season puts me to sleep - it's that monotonous music and repeating the same movement, it grows though. Maybe it's like someone else suggested too subtle for some - including myself. The music or choreography does not have to be showy or nor full of pathos to grab my attention though, as I don't feel the same about calm Patrick FS or Hawayek / Baker FD.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Oh I know exactly what you meant. I was just feeling ornery. People never give enough credit to the subtle.

:gaah:

Unfortunately, the Shibs may be too subtle for most fans. It's like a general American audience trying to watch a foreign film that uses totally different storytelling techniques and pacing. Ice Dance fans are really used to ice dancers being big and showy, even when they're being "subtle". That said, if people aren't getting what the Shibs are selling, it's up to them to adapt because if some fans aren't getting it then some judges will cap them at a ceiling as well and they need to break through that ceiling if they want more than to be a bronze medal contender at best in the current Ice Dance field.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the Shibs should, however, hold firm to their stylistic convictions cause it's clear to me the judges pick that up, hence the solid PCS scores.

Tara and Johnny, while they are nortiously not knowledgeable about ice dance, still managed to enjoy it, so I don't think the FD doesn't bore everyone.

Also, while fans are putting P/C and V/M as far superior, the judges at this competition did not. At GPF in 2013, the gap between V/M in second and Pechalat/Bourzart was more than four points in PCS. Here the gap between P/C and the Shibs was 1.5 points. Still a sizeable gap in ice dance terms, but not a insurmountable one.

And that said, the gap between the Shibs and Bobrova/Soloviev is smaller, a little over a point. In any case the judges are not really letting any team completely run away with it. There is room for some shuffling.

Last edited:

lavoix

Match Penalty
that atrocious arrangement? I hope it doesn't exist anywhere... if you like the piano part only, it's Chopin's prelude in c minor... (no 20).

but the added violin line and then the vivaldi, that's been done by evil people...

Sweetness, I ask where I could find it, not your penny opinion on the piece (which is, by the way, worthless anyway)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
if you read in between the lines, you will get your answer... this awful version is done by their team... so ask B/S to send you a copy... it doesn't exist anywhere else other than where this inappropriately trained sound engineer saved his unsuccessful
experiment.
signed: a professional musician whose opinion is worthless
Sweetness, I ask where I could find it, not your penny opinion on the piece (which is, by the way, worthless anyway)

Last edited:

lavoix

Match Penalty
if you read in between the lines, you will get your answer... this awful version is done by their team... so ask B/S to send you a copy... it doesn't exist anywhere else other than where this inappropriately trained sound engineer saved his unsuccessful
experiment.
signed: a professional music whose opinion is worthless

Thank you for confessing you're exactly that

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

signed: a professional musician whose opinion is worthless

Thank you for confessing you're exactly that

I didn't confess anything... but thank you! I was just using your own words and colouring them with sarcasm. Good luck finding this masterpiece!

I just saw the coverage on U.S. network TV.

At the beginning of the season I was all in for Papadakis and Cizerone. But Virtue and Moir have their number.

I agree with Mrs. P that the Shibs are closing the gap. People keep saying that brother-sister teams are at a disadvantage because they can't do romantic themes. But the Shibs make up for it by precision of movement. :yes: