2016 Golden Spin of Zagreb Mens SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Golden Spin of Zagreb Mens SP

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
The way Nadeau skates, it feels like the rink is much smaller than he's used to or something...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Oh Nic :hopelessness: well, he's tall, is fast with good SS and ice coverage so maybe compared to others it looks like tha rink is too small for him... Or he really trains in bigger one, who knows. But the pops, OMG, he doesn't even have TES minimums this year... :sad21:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Nadeau's performance was like a casual runthrough without a full commitment. I think he is not fully recovered from his injury.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
That was not I was hoping to see :( But StSq was brilliant!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Not a good skate from Denis Ten, but he wears a nice new glittering blue & dark grey costume

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Only saw some of the group 3 and 4, but overall it not a great competition. I hope everyone make a clean FS.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
He got 67 with that disaster spin at the beginning? LOL. Why this comp has no protocols :drama:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The camera work and lighting are terrible. The camera distortion is so severe that skaters look really shorter than their actual physique.

TGee

Record Breaker
I prefer Ivan too, but both of them have potential they seem to never use fully :( And now same Roman Sadovsky... What it is with Ukrainian boys? :hopelessness:

My guess is major growth spurts at 16 or 17, rather than the average age of 13.5 years for boys, is the issue.

Late development, in the sense of late peak growth and puberty, seems to be a challenge for young men of both Ukrainian and Russian background these days.

Having a longer time before the adolescent growth spurt can be a real advantage skaters. It gives them more time to get the higher level technique before they go through peak growth and need to adjust. But it also means that the upper body development needed for quads in a tall mature male physique comes much later.

But a major growth spurt at 17 like Roman's is difficult to manage around.

Some skaters and coaches seem to press forward to seniors early and continue an intense level of competition even during peak growth. As we've seen in the discussion on the "State of Russian Men's Skating" thread this is leading to injury and loss of Quad jumps. And in Canada we've seen Nam Nguyen go from national champion and 5th at worlds in 2015, to not making the final at worlds in 2016.

In Roman's case, his previous coach Tracy Wainman, who had herself famously been a prodigy who lost all her jumps at peak growth and had to fight her way back, decided to keep him as a junior until he went through his growth spurt. She was quite public about the value of the JPG as a venue to keep building international experience while allowing the skater not to be pushed ahead to senior level ahead of the growth. So it was definitely a deliberate strategy in Roman's case to hold him back.

Not sure of the exact reasons behind it, but notably once Nam Nguyen moved on from Cricket after his difficult growth last season, Roman has moved over to Orser. This Challenge event is Roman's senior debut at the international level, I believe. And this is really the first season, that his layout has provided consistent Quad attempts.

We'll need to see if the long view strategy for Roman, which so far appears to have avoided major injury or psychological setbacks, leads to long run success.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yay, Brendan is third! :yahoo:

Thankyou so much Reynnou for your PBPs! I meant to, but my stream went splooey.