Bavarian Open 2017 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Bavarian Open 2017

I have updated the OP (which is no longer OP?!), with all that was announced while I was at the AO. It should be up to date again ;) As previously mentioned, the event will already start on Tuesday evening, with the SP of Novice Pairs and Advanced Novice Boys.

Thursday will be Ladies day (Advanced Novice & Junior), so make sure to bring some flowers if you come to visit Oberstdorf. I am thinking of supplying some social media coverage, as the event will not be streamed (latest information I have). How said coverage will look like I don´t know yet.

Daily recaps are to be expected (if time allows) and a column about a week after the event. If you have any questions let me know. A small announcement will be added to the OP as the event comes closer and I am quite pleased with the names on the list so far. Let´s see who makes it to the final line up ;)

Hi Alex

Where will the social media reporting be? Looking forward to it.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Dasha Panenkova has been added to the entry list but apparently she is going to skate at the Sofia Trophy instead but we will see. Her name is not on the entry list of Sofia Trophy at the moment.

Last edited:

Celine

On the Ice
Must be quite a well attended event! Hearing skaters are being put up in AirBNB arrangements in some instances! Good luck to all!

Alex D

Record Breaker
Hi Alex

Where will the social media reporting be? Looking forward to it.

I will put a link here and might as well just create a FB page of some sorts. ;) Sharing it at the forum, should be ok with mods I suppose.

Alex D we look forward to your thorough reporting! My request would be: is it possible to have a photo or little clip of the different athletes? Whatever you can see or do. It's disappointing that there is no live stream seeing how many different nations are sending athletes and considering the great job Deutsche Eislauf-Union e.V. does with Nebelhorn. Well, we'll have to take whatever we can get.

The basic idea is to share at least some pictures of the VC´s, maybe a skater here and there, but I am limited in what I can do, as I have to work with 300 MB a month (my phone bandwidth). I do take some pictures, I have many from last years too, not only Bavarian... but without a place to share them, it´s usually just me sending it to a skater or so :D

Videos are very unlikely though, we will see, but I try my best.

Sackie

Medalist
Since CAN is sending a nice JR team why didn't they also send a couple Srs. Larkyn Austman could use another international outing especially since she finished 4th at Nationals and is on the National Team now. Which means she will probably be the 3rd entry at Skate Canada next year. And Messing would have been a good men's choice.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I will put a link here and might as well just create a FB page of some sorts. ;) Sharing it at the forum, should be ok with mods I suppose.

The basic idea is to share at least some pictures of the VC´s, maybe a skater here and there, but I am limited in what I can do, as I have to work with 300 MB a month (my phone bandwidth). I do take some pictures, I have many from last years too, not only Bavarian... but without a place to share them, it´s usually just me sending it to a skater or so :D

Videos are very unlikely though, we will see, but I try my best.

Danke schön!

Please don't feel pressured to share everything live. I've got limited data too so I feel your pain. If you do get anything and can share after the event or when you've got Wifi to a site like Facebook then even that would be much appreciated. And have fun. :)

Alex D

Record Breaker
Danke schön!

Please don't feel pressured to share everything live. I've got limited data too so I feel your pain. If you do get anything and can share after the event or when you've got Wifi to a site like Facebook then even that would be much appreciated. And have fun. :)

The venue has internet, we always use it at Nebelhorn, but sadly it´s not something we will have access to at the BO. There is a possibility to rent internet (from Telekom), but this would be too expensive for me and my apartment where I stay, doesn´t has any either :D but I will have a great view on the mountains ;)

But yes indeed, I don´t want to put the "expectations" too high, as then some might be disappointed, so I can only guarantee my column (but with a delay) and everything else remains to be seen, but I will try my best - plus I love to follow each single performance on ice, so time is my enemy too :D

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
Since CAN is sending a nice JR team why didn't they also send a couple Srs. Larkyn Austman could use another international outing especially since she finished 4th at Nationals and is on the National Team now. Which means she will probably be the 3rd entry at Skate Canada next year. And Messing would have been a good men's choice.

Not to worry Skate Canada BC/YK as a section is sending a number of skaters to Challenge Cup incl Austman.
Senior: Larkyn Austman, Megan Yim
Junior: Olivia Gran, Brian Le
Adv Novice: Beres Clement, Aleksa Rakic, Emma Bulawka

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker

The venue has internet, we always use it at Nebelhorn, but sadly it´s not something we will have access to at the BO. There is a possibility to rent internet (from Telekom), but this would be too expensive for me and my apartment where I stay, doesn´t has any either :D but I will have a great view on the mountains ;)

But yes indeed, I don´t want to put the "expectations" too high, as then some might be disappointed, so I can only guarantee my column (but with a delay) and everything else remains to be seen, but I will try my best - plus I love to follow each single performance on ice, so time is my enemy too :D

I appreciate whatever you can report to us. :)

For anyone who's interested FS Evolution will also be at Bavarian Open. Expect some photos and other coverage from them.

Not to worry Skate Canada BC/YK as a section is sending a number of skaters to Challenge Cup incl Austman.

Oh that's very nice! SC BC/YK was forward thinking last season as well by sending Kevin Reynolds out to Senior Bs. But one question - why no McKenna Colthorp?

SC COS is fortunate to have most of its skaters going to Bavarian Open. Eight of the 18 skaters going are from SC COS.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Olivia Gran, yesss! :hap10:

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
So any word on a live stream?

Confirmation via email no livestream:

"At BO there will be no lifestream provided. To provide the necessary lifestream signal you have to invest money first. Until now we save all money for the support of the athletes. We may think next year differently."

:(

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
La Rhumba thank you very much for emailing them. It's a bit disappointing they couldn't allocate funds to live streaming but I hope they got the message that there's interest and maybe next year we'll see something, even if it's a pay-per-view stream.

The results page is up and running, but no start orders have been posted yet.

http://eiskunstlauf.bev-eissport.de/BO2017/index.htm

euroskate

Final Flight
A lot skaters Used Tor Go to seibt Memorial in Vienna which is cancelled this year. This might explain the big Numbers of entris

Alex D

Record Breaker
I thought about crowd funding, everyone could donate, but I do not know how much is needed, nor if they would accept such an offer. We Germans tend to not want help in things, we are stubborn :laugh:

The venue is fully packed with skaters, I had to retreat as I get nervous with so many people who all look 100x better than me :drama:

Will write a bit more later, I need to go shopping now! I need carrot's!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Roman Sadovsky has been replaced by Joseph Phan, which suggests that Roman may be injured.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Day 1 As it happened

Well folks,

that was quite a day. At 5 AM, I had to leave my home, only to find out that the train which I was supposed to take, was one hour late... I spend a whole hour this morning, checking out the decoration of various shops at the train station and it was sooo cold, can I have some sympathy please...
One of those shops had an amazing piece of decoration, balloons everywhere and a valentines heart! Right next to it, was a lingerie shop, with a different type of "balloons" so to speak. :laugh:

Anyways, the weather was crazy today, I left at -10 degrees and arrived at around +7, but it felt like 30... I was so overdressed for the sun and if anyone still wants to catch a bit of snow at Oberstdorf, then you better be quick, as there won´t be much left soon!

Of course, we also had some figure skating action today and I was really impressed with the advanced novice boys and their fighting spirit. They did not let go and it was quite an interesting time at the ice rink, with many good programs. Said ice rink, will be my home for the next 5 days and I will have to spend the first all by myself, as the other journalist won´t be here before Thursday and our photographers are sadly unavailable too... . Fun fact, the track "all by myself" was played between two skaters, someone must have heard about my misery... ;)

But if there is night, then there is also day, like the people I met today. So many nice words for my work, it´s what keeps you going :) Thanks everyone!

I also want to thank two skaters especially, both are from Canada. Corey Corcelli was fabulous, I so love his style! What a graceful skater, he does all the tricks - the ladies do, :shocked: amazing flexibility and spins, wonderful balletic arms, expressive with lots of heart and great musicality! Without a doubt, the for me most impressive skater today and currently in novice boys.
He is a mix of Chan and Hanyu, check this guy out!

Stephen Gogolev was also great, huge jumps, even though he popped the Lutz. I so love how quick his entries are, like with the double Axel, not the slightest hesitation! He is also a pretty cool fellow as far I can tell, he skates like a senior already and has a very positive attitude, with good skating manners, like the entry and bow after his performance. He is proud and really appreciates the people who came watching!

Proud was also Davide Calderari, who also has a sister, Nicole, who will compete tomorrow. I felt, he captured the essence of the music well and did I mention yet, that I love that name, it´s so "circus" like Kalicanin, - names made for the big stages, what is Marina doing btw, it´s been a while that I saw her at the ice rink. :(

Arthur Mai´s, daddy, had the biggest Camera today, Haruya Sasaki our current leader, the biggest speed and Noah Bodenstein, the most fun coach to watch and a huge skate that catapulted him on two!

Also a big shoutout to our Czech pair, which stepped on the ice as first and we did have quite some crowd today, but they had no fear, such a cute couple!

Tomorrow will be part one of girls vs. Ladies, who will be crowned the princes and who the queen? Stay tuned and you will find out!

Until then,

bye............

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Arthur Mai´s, daddy, had the biggest Camera today, Haruya Sasaki our current leader, the biggest speed and Noah Bodenstein, the most fun coach to watch and a huge skate that catapulted him on two!

Do you mean Stephane Lambiel?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Thanks for the entertaining round up of day 1 Alex D!

I hope you get to enjoy Stephen's Mozart program today. :)