Size 14 figure skates | Golden Skate

Size 14 figure skates

Robert C

Spectator
Can anyone tell me where I can get some size 14 mens figure skates? I have searched all over the internet and nobody seems to have them. About the most I would want to spend is $200 but at that price I would want to try them first or they would have to be returnable.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Okay, first up, shoe sizes and skate sizes are not the same and you really should get fitted. With that said, I highly doubt you'd find anywhere that keeps a skate that large in stock - you will have to get it specially ordered and might even have to look at customs.

jf12

Final Flight
My friend is a size 13 mens in street shoes and size 12 in skates. If you go get measured professionally they may be able to determine if you can get into a size 13 skate and potentially not have to order customs.

jf12

Final Flight
Then, in that case it will have to be a custom order, and it will not be under $200. It is an unfortunate side effect of the sport not being as popular with men.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am aware of this. I need 14 ice skates size minimum.

Unfortunately there's not much anyone can do about that, then - it'll have to be special order or customs and you're going to have to spend more.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
And remember, if you special order a custom size 14+ boot, you might also need a custom extra long blade. Make sure you can get the proper blade to go with the boot before you plunk down money for the boot. Were you considering $200 just for the boot or for the total outfit (boot + blade)?

Sk8DSmom

Rinkside
Boot sizes fit differently from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Riedells seem to fit truer to shoe size whereas Jacksons are generally generous to say the least on the same shoe size (about 1 size larger than shoe size).
So when you say you need size 14 minimum -it is not necessarily true.
Unfortunately I believe once you get past size 12 or 13 mens skates I do believe they are special order if not custom. Blade sizes do not tend to be readily available after size 11". Any special order / custom is a minimum 6 - 8 weeks or more depending on production cycles at the manufacturer.
$200 is really not a realistic budget for adult sizes boot and blade included.

Try calling around instead of just searching on the web. You'll get better responses/info that way.

skatemomoftwo

Rinkside
Boot sizes fit differently from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Riedells seem to fit truer to shoe size whereas Jacksons are generally generous to say the least on the same shoe size (about 1 size larger than shoe size).
So when you say you need size 14 minimum -it is not necessarily true.
Unfortunately I believe once you get past size 12 or 13 mens skates I do believe they are special order if not custom. Blade sizes do not tend to be readily available after size 11". Any special order / custom is a minimum 6 - 8 weeks or more depending on production cycles at the manufacturer.
$200 is really not a realistic budget for adult sizes boot and blade included.

Try calling around instead of just searching on the web. You'll get better responses/info that way.

My 6 foot 4 inch son is 13 shoes and wears EDEA Ice flys 300. They also have 305 and 310. That is stock size.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
These would be way out of the $200 budget OP wanted to spend.

I think we've long since established that OP is going to have to spend more than this, unfortunately.

skatemomoftwo

Rinkside
These would be way out of the $200 budget OP wanted to spend.

There is no way they will find something in that size for 200.00. They can however have an EDEA skate as I know they sell to those sizes as a stock boot. I am guessing either the 305 or 310 would work and it wouldnt even have to be the Ice fly. It could be one of the lower level Edeas. I would think they would need the support of the Ice fly or the one below it. My son weights maybe 160ish and has been in 300s for several years.
The way Edeas are made they use a shorter blade so even in 310 he could find a blade that would fit. I think my son is in 11.

Robert C

Spectator
There is no way they will find something in that size for 200.00. They can however have an EDEA skate as I know they sell to those sizes as a stock boot. I am guessing either the 305 or 310 would work and it wouldnt even have to be the Ice fly. It could be one of the lower level Edeas. I would think they would need the support of the Ice fly or the one below it. My son weights maybe 160ish and has been in 300s for several years.
The way Edeas are made they use a shorter blade so even in 310 he could find a blade that would fit. I think my son is in 11.

Edea does have lower-priced boots but according to http://www.skatesus.com/images/EDEAComparativeSizingChart-c.jpg they have none bigger than 13. If your son is using 300 he's using 11 1/2 boots if this chart is correct. I could get Edea Motivo's boots and a blade but I just can't go down to a 13-medium skate.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Have you investigated hockey skates? I know they carry larger men's sizes (14+). I don't know if the boots are suitable for figure skating, or if boots and blades are sold separately (i.e., so you could fit them with figure skating blades).

TGee

Record Breaker
Have you investigated hockey skates? I know they carry larger men's sizes (14+). I don't know if the boots are suitable for figure skating, or if boots and blades are sold separately (i.e., so you could fit them with figure skating blades).

Not an option, unless he wants to go with hockey skates for basic skating lessons. But it can be hard to switch to figure skating boots and blades later. And decent quality hockey skates aren't much less expensive.

Hockey skates and figure skates are very different. Even if it were possible with modern hockey boots [which I believe it is not as the blades are integral], you wouldn't want to put figure skating blades on them as the balance of the boots and blades need to work together.

Now it is true that there are skaters who can do all the figure skating basics, except toe-assisted jumps, in hockey skates. Here in Canada, Skate Canada coaches also teach CanPowerSkate which is a skating skills program for hockey players who have completed the CanSkate basic skating program. These coaches can skate in either one or the other. I've seen these coaches go from a CanSkate or CanPowerSkate session to a figure skating session without switching out of their hockey skates, and then teach and demonstrate edges and single salchows in their hockey skates.

That said, Skate Canada requires figure skates for skaters learning on figure skating sessions once skaters are out of the CanSkate basic program. Expect USFSA does too. It's one thing for coaches who have advanced skills to pull off figure skating moves in hockey skates, another to learn that way.

My bottom line: while there are some people who can learn with poor quality or ill fitting equipment, most can't. Whereas there are many people who can learn, who would otherwise be hopeless, if they have the right equipment. The wait and see if it's worth spending the money philosophy is usually a way to ensure that success will not happen.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Not an option, unless he wants to go with hockey skates for basic skating lessons. But it can be hard to switch to figure skating boots and blades later. And decent quality hockey skates aren't much less expensive.

Hockey skates and figure skates are very different. Even if it were possible with modern hockey boots [which I believe it is not as the blades are integral], you wouldn't want to put figure skating blades on them as the balance of the boots and blades need to work together.

Now it is true that there are skaters who can do all the figure skating basics, except toe-assisted jumps, in hockey skates. Here in Canada, Skate Canada coaches also teach CanPowerSkate which is a skating skills program for hockey players who have completed the CanSkate basic skating program. These coaches can skate in either one or the other. I've seen these coaches go from a CanSkate or CanPowerSkate session to a figure skating session without switching out of their hockey skates, and then teach and demonstrate edges and single salchows in their hockey skates.

That said, Skate Canada requires figure skates for skaters learning on figure skating sessions once skaters are out of the CanSkate basic program. Expect USFSA does too. It's one thing for coaches who have advanced skills to pull off figure skating moves in hockey skates, another to learn that way.

My bottom line: while there are some people who can learn with poor quality or ill fitting equipment, most can't. Whereas there are many people who can learn, who would otherwise be hopeless, if they have the right equipment. The wait and see if it's worth spending the money philosophy is usually a way to ensure that success will not happen.

Thanks for the info - I had the feeling they wouldn't be right, but wasn't sure. It sounds like the OP will need customs unless the Edeas work.

As a recreational skater who ended up in custom Jacksons in order to accommodate my orthotics and wide forefoot, I can sympathize. At my level, I really didn't want to spend that much money, but we had already tried everything without success to make my stock boots work. After 8 months in the new boots I'm really glad I did it.

Robert C

Spectator
Funny you should mention that. It turns out the rink here rents hockey skates in sizes 14 and 15. They are Riedells. The 14's poke me in the big toes (on both feet). I tried skating in them yesterday and I have to keep pulling the laces and the tongue up to make it bearable. My 14 shoes don't do this. Other than the the big toe area the skates are fine. The 15's I skated in a few days ago and they hurt me in the legs above the ankle. Is this because hockey skates are designed to be used bending forward? Not sure why the 14's didn't hurt in the legs. The largest figure skates the rink rents are 13. I tried a pair of these on and they are way tight in the toes. I didn't try skating in them.

Riedell will make a pair of size 14 or 15 Diamond series skates for $199 + $65 special order charge. But they are not returnable and I don't know whether to get 14, 14 wide, or 15. I really need to try them on first.

The Edea stock boot Motivo is $139 plus a blade, maybe $69.95. I could return those if they didn't fit. But if they're the same as size 13 I don't think there would be any point.

Obviously, I'm going to have to spend a bit more than $200. But are even the Diamond and Motivo skates wrong for a beginner like me?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Riedell will make a pair of size 14 or 15 Diamond series skates for $199 + $65 special order charge. But they are not returnable and I don't know whether to get 14, 14 wide, or 15. I really need to try them on first.

If you contact Riedell, they should supply you with a list of authorized/certified fitters in your area. The fitter will take measurements and tracings of your feet and send them off to Riedell, which will make the call on what size is best. The fitter and Riedell should be responsible for ensuring proper fit. Verify what their current policy is.

skatemomoftwo

Rinkside
Edea does have lower-priced boots but according to http://www.skatesus.com/images/EDEAComparativeSizingChart-c.jpg they have none bigger than 13. If your son is using 300 he's using 11 1/2 boots if this chart is correct. I could get Edea Motivo's boots and a blade but I just can't go down to a 13-medium skate.

I looked at it, but he is in a 13 tennis shoe and a 13 dress shoe. He tried on the 305s last summer and thought they were too big. You could measure your foot too and look at the chart. If I were you I would look into it or call Skates US which is the dealer and ask them. They can ship you two pairs of skates at a time to try on for size. Explain to them what you need. You also could send them your foot tracing and see what they think. They are very helpful. They also can stretch them out with their special tools or you can use a blow dryer.

No, you couldnt use hockey skates.
http://skatesus.com/ice/about-skates-us/ ask David or Josh

That chart also says you could get SP terri or Harlicks in a 13.5 or 14 and its the same as Edeas 310. The Edeas would be stock, but not the others.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Funny you should mention that. It turns out the rink here rents hockey skates in sizes 14 and 15. They are Riedells. The 14's poke me in the big toes (on both feet). I tried skating in them yesterday and I have to keep pulling the laces and the tongue up to make it bearable. My 14 shoes don't do this. Other than the the big toe area the skates are fine. The 15's I skated in a few days ago and they hurt me in the legs above the ankle. Is this because hockey skates are designed to be used bending forward? Not sure why the 14's didn't hurt in the legs. The largest figure skates the rink rents are 13. I tried a pair of these on and they are way tight in the toes. I didn't try skating in them.

The Edea stock boot Motivo is $139 plus a blade, maybe $69.95. I could return those if they didn't fit. But if they're the same as size 13 I don't think there would be any point.

Obviously, I'm going to have to spend a bit more than $200. But are even the Diamond and Motivo skates wrong for a beginner like me?

Sorry I can't answer your question about why the size 15 skates hurt your ankles. They may be newer and stiffer or a different model.

I have no firsthand experience with the Motivo or the Diamond, but they are both described as skates appropriate for serious beginners so I think you'd be fine, with the caveat that if you're a tall / big boned adult, you may actually need a stronger boot.

However, I would suggest that if at all possible, rather than buying online, you seek out a good pro shop that sells figure skates and has an experienced fitter. This will make all the difference in the world in getting the right skates / size / fit.

FYI, different skates have different lasts and fit different kinds of feet. In addition, they are sized differently - Riedell skates are sized closer to street size while Jacksons seem to run 1 or 1-1/2 sizes larger than street size (e.g., I wear size 6 in street shoes and size 4-1/2 in Jackson skates). Some brands will not work for some feet (I can't wear Riedells to save my life). A good fitter can guide you to the appropriate brand. Also, skates come in different widths, and a skate that's too narrow will be just as uncomfortable and hard to skate in as one thats too short. Skates that are too wide or long can also cause problems.

Finally, once you get the skates, the fitter can heat mold them or punch them out (stretch them) if they are tight in certain areas. Even if you end up ordering the Riedell or Motivo skates you mention above, I would suggest doing it through the pro shop. It shouldn't cost you more. If you're in the be Chicago area I can recommend two pro shops - Geppettos Skate Shop and Rainbo Sports. If you're elsewhere, someone else may be able to help.