Yuzuru Hanyu WD from Nats due to Flu | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu WD from Nats due to Flu

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Get well soon Yuzuru. It's always a bother to get sick in the middle of the season, but Figure Skating is a winter sport. Get warm, Yuzu. With hot tea and oranges, under a warm kotatsu!

Biellmann

Match Penalty
Who would've thought, i mean, he would normally compete even with broken legs :drama:

The older the wiser :agree:

ps. Congrats to Shoma Uno :confused2:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
This is a shocker! So many withdrawals these days and it just makes me sad :(...Get well soon

Omg Shoma baby is gonna be Champion???:eeking:

Biellmann

Match Penalty
It's not going to be the same without Yuzuru :yawn:
So sorry for the people who came to see him :console:

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I'm SO happy he's WDing instead of forcing himself to compete. Previously, he might have done that... I'm just so happy he's getting the proper rest instead.

Not to be mean, and I know the national title means a lot to the Skaters, but in the big picture, nobody cares that much about another national title or not. Come back well at 4CC Yuzu!

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
^^

Same because in some previous years he would have tried. But as I said in his ff, he must be very poorly if he's decided this. He has asthma so considering there are already some complications, this is the best choice and I'm glad he's made it. Hopefully he just doesn't get too frustrated due to this. There's plenty of time to 4CC, heal well Yuzuru.

padme21

On the Ice
With Hanyu's WD it's almost certain that Shoma will be the new national champ. I'm relieved honestly. I'd rather Hanyu WD than skate sick and risk losing his title and injuring himself. In the past I think he would have competed but I think he's learn his lesson after the whole skating at worlds injured. He has a long term goal ahead. There's always next year to get back the national title. Ashley and Gracie keep going back and forth as national champions.
Get well soon Hanyu! See you at 4CC!

da96103

Record Breaker
Will he still be able to participate in Worlds? I guess Japan is quite lenient because they let Takahashi go to Olympics when he placed 4th. Not like US trials for Track and Field and Swimming where trials is everything.

Also Brian can celebrate Christmas on Christmas Day itself, first time in years?

anirien

Rinkside
Will he still be able to participate in Worlds? I guess Japan is quite lenient because they let Takahashi go to Olympics when he placed 4th. Not like US trials for Track and Field and Swimming where trials is everything.

Also Brian can celebrate Christmas on Christmas Day itself, first time in years?

Japan's criteria for selecting their World and 4CC teams include GP/GPF results and World Championship results from last year. Even if Yuzu didn't have the prestige he has he would still make the world team based on his other qualifications from this season and last.

da96103

Record Breaker
Japan's criteria for selecting their World and 4CC teams include GP/GPF results and World Championship results from last year. Even if Yuzu didn't have the prestige he has he would still make the world team based on his other qualifications from this season and last.

Thanks. There's a more detailed discussion at Yuzu's FF.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight

I hope Brian doesn't have the flu too. Yuzu probably was already contagious at the GPF and, at one point, was actually falling into Brian's arms. Plus all that hugging those two always do at this event. :luv17:

And then there were all those lovely Russian skaters who were taking selfies with him . . . . And everyone touching and kissing Pooh.

I hate flu season.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Sorry to hear it;;;; Get well soon, Yuzuru.
It's been crazily hard to get those platinum tickets for skating fans in Japan these days, hopefully we don't see many empty seats in Osaka and less TV coverage.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Sorry to hear it;;;; Get well soon, Yuzuru.
It's been crazily hard to get those platinum tickets for skating fans in Japan these days, hopefully we don't see many empty seats in Osaka and less TV coverage.

Will you be going deedee?

Biellmann

Match Penalty
I hope Brian doesn't have the flu too. Yuzu probably was already contagious at the GPF and, at one point, was actually falling into Brian's arms. Plus all that hugging those two always do at this event. :luv17:

And then there were all those lovely Russian skaters who were taking selfies with him . . . . And everyone touching and kissing Pooh.

I hate flu season.

i guess Fernandez could have the flu as well, there was a lot of hugging between them :p

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
i guess Fernandez could have the flu as well, there was a lot of hugging between them :p

Nah, he is okay. He competed at his Nationals this week, better than the GPF.
My best guess is Marin, poor girl was sick around the GPF. The bad thing about the flu is that the asymptomatic stage is the most contagious, so many can get infected before the first one even knows he/she is sick.
Hoping for Yuzu to get better soon. And it will be interesting to see how the men's podium will look like at Nats :)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Yuzuru Hanyu? WDing for his own health? The world is ending I tell ya! 2016 claims yet another victim.

Get well soon Yuzuru! Really hope it's nothing serious and that he rests well. Better take care now and peak later in the season.