Yuzuru Hanyu WD from Nats due to Flu | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu WD from Nats due to Flu

Nathan13

Medalist
Nah, he is okay. He competed at his Nationals this week, better than the GPF.
My best guess is Marin, poor girl was sick around the GPF. The bad thing about the flu is that the asymptomatic stage is the most contagious, so many can get infected before the first one even knows he/she is sick.
Hoping for Yuzu to get better soon. And it will be interesting to see how the men's podium will look like at Nats :)
Has anyone heard any word on how Marin is recovering? It's only been two weeks, which isn't a long time to recover fully for competition.

sweetwater

On the Ice
Has anyone heard any word on how Marin is recovering? It's only been two weeks, which isn't a long time to recover fully for competition.

She showed up at official practice today and answered to the press. According to this article she has recovered from flu bit by bit and now she’s OK. During the GPF she spent the whole week in her room and in bed for 3 days. She is undeniably out of practice, but getting back in shape by doing a lot of run-throughs after she came back to Japan.

yude

Record Breaker
I'm so sad and disappointed about the news :sad4: But I hope he'll be able to have good rest and nice holidays with his family.

Now I'm ready for ladies event = bloodbath :drama:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Nah, he is okay. He competed at his Nationals this week, better than the GPF.
My best guess is Marin, poor girl was sick around the GPF. The bad thing about the flu is that the asymptomatic stage is the most contagious, so many can get infected before the first one even knows he/she is sick.
Hoping for Yuzu to get better soon. And it will be interesting to see how the men's podium will look like at Nats :)

Medical question. I get a quad flu shot every year. I havent had real influenza in the past 40 years. Does the makeup of each year's flu shot vary from country to country? In other words, are there so many flus active around the world that a constant traveler like a figure skater might easily pick up a flu not active in his/her own country?

daphna

On the Ice
Sad, but wise. Great to see the maturity and the sense to WD and get healthy and focus on winning worlds. Still can't believe that this very same guy competed with a broken head 2 years ago!
Go Shoma!

liv

Record Breaker
I googled the question re: flu shots around the world and it was as I thought. The WHO monitors the active strains around the world ( 5 major WHO labs around the globe get local samples etc., and then report findings) and then recommends what should be put in the yearly shot, although each country makes final decision. So, basically, yes, the short answer is they are pretty much the same all over.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I googled the question re: flu shots around the world and it was as I thought. The WHO monitors the active strains around the world ( 5 major WHO labs around the globe get local samples etc., and then report findings) and then recommends what should be put in the yearly shot, although each country makes final decision. So, basically, yes, the short answer is they are pretty much the same all over.

But they are different from year to year. Also, the decision on what strains to vaccinate against are made long before the actual flu season, to allow time to produce and distribute the vaccine. Sometimes the predictions are better than others. Some years they announce that "we got it wrong this year, so take extra precautions against the flu".

liv

Record Breaker
Absolutely. They have to be different every year. I work in health care and there have been years where we see major outbreaks because the flu strains that occurred did not match what had been anticipated. They do the best they can, but nothing is ever for certain.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Absolutely. They have to be different every year. I work in health care and there have been years where we see major outbreaks because the flu strains that occurred did not match what had been anticipated. They do the best they can, but nothing is ever for certain.

I agree with you, but it is very unclear how long immunity lasts. Dutch studies, where the entire population's medical records go into a database for analysis, mimic what we found out in the pandemic of 1918, where it was the young that died by the hundreds of 1000s because they had no immunity like us old farts do after living so long and being infected so often or given protective shots over many years.....and now a vaccine for ebola! God bless all those medical researchers....
And lets hope our skaters get well soon.....

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with you, but it is very unclear how long immunity lasts. Dutch studies, where the entire population's medical records go into a database for analysis, mimic what we found out in the pandemic of 1918, where it was the young that died by the hundreds of 1000s because they had no immunity like us old farts do after living so long and being infected so often or given protective shots over many years.....and now a vaccine for ebola! God bless all those medical researchers....
And lets hope our skaters get well soon.....

I took microbiology last semester and my professor told us that the reason why so many young people died during the Spanish Flu Pandemic of 1919 wasn't due to the disease itself, but rather a HYPER response by the immune system. Overwhelmed the body trying to fight it off.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I took microbiology last semester and my professor told us that the reason why so many young people died during the Spanish Flu Pandemic of 1919 wasn't due to the disease itself, but rather a HYPER response by the immune system. Overwhelmed the body trying to fight it off.

With all due respect to the good prof., thats a bit like saying the car accident didnt kill the victum, being impailed on the steering wheel did. During a pandemic, a dramatically different flu appears that many have no immunity for. Sure, the body basically kills itself trying to fight it.....mostly by suffication due to pneumonia.
Here is some fasinating information from Stanford. 28 percent of all Americans had it, with a 2.5 percent mortality rate....people, as the good prof said, simply sufficated due to the pneumonia in their own blood tinged froth......
https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

(It is interesting to read the papers of the day from your own city...for instance, in Spokane. People didnt panic...there were ways to quarentine and neighbors helped neighbors and we got through it. )

Khoai

Match Penalty
My friend is having a cold/flu and she's bed-ridden for 3 days. No one should take flu easy.