2016-2017 Japanese Nationals Men's FS | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 Japanese Nationals Men's FS

da96103

Record Breaker
Finally Yuzu v Patrick has been put to rest. We have new contenders now Loco v Igor v Spidey. A testament that these young boys will provide years of argument for us golden skate forummers.

da96103

Record Breaker
By the way, where do you guys get the info that USFSA is planning to limit quads to promote Brown and Rippon? How many quads are we talking about here?

Khoai

Match Penalty
By the way, where do you guys get the info that USFSA is planning to limit quads to promote Brown and Rippon? How many quads are we talking about here?
Who said USFA wanted to promote Adam and Jason only? They just wanted to limit quads in general so their men have better chance overall. It has been the talk behind the scene among coaches and judges. Will they push that limit to happen? I can't tell. If one or two US men prove that they can deliver the quads more consistently, maybe USFA will change their mind. USFA is very powerful. I have heard some talk about judges from some nations give out scores based on US judges.

madison

Record Breaker
Who said USFA wanted to promote Adam and Jason only? They just wanted to limit quads in general so their men have better chance overall. It has been the talk behind the scene among coaches and judges. Will they push that limit to happen? I can't tell. If one or two US men prove that they can deliver the quads more consistently, maybe USFA will change their mind. USFA is very powerful. I have heard some talk about judges from some nations give out scores based on US judges.

I wonder whether Russia isn't eager to support this proposal as the limitation of quads could be also in its advantage. I personally agree on this proposal otherwise the men competition would be let's run after the quads, no program at all, no artistry, nothing.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Did Nathan compete here this past weekend??? I must have missed it then. Such a shame.... :p

Khoai

Match Penalty
I wonder whether Russia isn't eager to support this proposal as the limitation of quads could be also in its advantage. I personally agree on this proposal otherwise the men competition would be let's run after the quads, no program at all, no artistry, nothing.
Well, my coach let me read an email sent from a person with quite high rank in Russian fed. Sorry I could not say his name. He is also not very fond of the way the current skaters run after multi quads. It is only his personal opinion. But his rank is quite high. So I don't really know honestly. Will they do something to the quads? If they have several Russian or US men could land many types of quads from time to time, maybe they will not punish quads harshly.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Happy for Shoma, very sad for Takahito, whose programs I loved this season. Congrats to Keiji, however. Also, I enjoyed Ryuju Hino, it's nice to see him skate well and place so high. I read somewhere that he was competitive w Yuzuru as a junior and has had trouble mastering the jumps necessary to succeed as a senior. This probably sounds crazy, but to me his skating, posture, and movements appear vaguely Russian in style, e.g., similar to Mishin's skaters. Not sure how that could be, though, since from what little I know he has always lived and trained in Japan.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Huh. Adam Rippon is no spring chicken, so any quad limitation in the future woul probably not benefit him since he wouln't be around. And while it might benefit Jason Brown somewhat, it'd do more harm than good to Nathan Chen.

I don't think putting artificial breaks on quad fests will solve the USFA's problems.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
This probably sounds crazy, but to me his skating, posture, and movements appear vaguely Russian in style, e.g., similar to Mishin's skaters. Not sure how that could be, though, since from what little I know he has always lived and trained in Japan.

His father is Russian, maybe it's genetic :biggrin: And yup, he did compete with Yuzuru, who exploded while he had issues with the technical aspects. I still enjoy his skating very much and he's working on a quad.

Speaking of that, Keiji's mother is Taiwanese.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
USFS certainly is not perfect and criticism on how they handle some things is warranted -- but can we wait until they actually propose --formally-- a quad limitation before we throw rocks? Especially when it has little to do with the results of the free skate at this particular competition?

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
How about this? Quads cannot be repeated in the FS. A skater can only jump one quad type only once. All skaters have to repeat triple jumps.

This mean everyone gets the disadvantage equally. No one can do a solo quad and a quad combo of the same type. The ones that gain from this rule are the ones that does not do quad jump or only does one solo quad of each type they have.

A skater who have more type of quads gets to jump more quads and rightly so since they have the additional skills, they should be allowed to show that.

Ironically, this means the FS, whilst is longer in terms of duration, the most difficult jump element, the quad combo, would mostly appear in SP.

tyrolean skates

Rinkside
Hi everybody!!!! - I have read nearly all of the comments in this thread now, which took me quite a while ....:)
First of all Congratulations to Shoma Uno for winning the title - I do think he deserves it and I don`t think Yuzuru`s Absence (I hope he will get well soon!!!!) has helped anybody in this competition.

I read about considerations by the USFSA limiting the number of quads in mens`skating here in the Forum, which is - in my opinion - not the badest of ideas... I am not a big fan of Programms that are all about (quad)jumps with neglection of choreo and Interpretation anyway, so why not??? To be honest: as long as Programms inflated with even underrotated quads get better scores than Programms that are "built around" a Piece of Music carefully and where the Focus is on the real artistry (interpreting a piece of Music by using ALL the versatile Elements of figure Skating, i.e steps,turns, facial/physical Expression, jumps, spins, ....) Skaters like Jason Brown (I mention him here, because he is a good example for me) will never have a real Chance to win a title.
As Long as the judges do not loose Focus on what figure Skating is all about, I have no Problem; For me it was quite interesting to watch Bojang Jin`s improvement over the last 12 months: When he appeared on the Scene, he had great jumps - but not much in between. He obviously has really worked on his Skating skills, because judges always "punished" him by giving him extremely low presentation marks. I think he has learned his lesson, something Nathan Chen still has to do.

tyrolean skates

Rinkside
And what exactly? How to look angry all the time? :laugh:

Yes, he always Looks as if he was not satisfied with his skate and angry with himself;)
No, to be honest: I like Shoma - I really do like him. And, for me, he is quite the opposite of Jin: He is a great Interpreter, who can go with the Music, who has great attitude - but: his jumps are really not the best, although I must admit that I have never seen him Skating so messy as he did here at JN (sorry, Shoma :) )

I am also a huge Fan of Mikhail Kolyada, the new russian national champ, as well as I like Yuzuru, Javier and Jason Brown. So, this years` Euro`s, Worlds and 4continents are going to be a real Thriller for me.