Random Confessions | Page 142 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I am waging internal war with myself over which of Yuzuru Hanyu's costumes to base the color theme of my nails on when I go get them done later. The bright side is that in a me vs. me battle, I'm guaranteed to win. :laugh:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am waging internal war with myself over which of Yuzuru Hanyu's costumes to base the color theme of my nails on when I go get them done later. The bright side is that in a me vs. me battle, I'm guaranteed to win. :laugh:

I've seen that sort of nail art on Twitter, not just Yuzuru-based but for quite a few of the Japanese skaters. It is gorgeous.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
I've seen that sort of nail art on Twitter, not just Yuzuru-based but for quite a few of the Japanese skaters. It is gorgeous.

Yes, it is! I definitely browsed Japanese Twitter for inspiration before going. :love: I don't have the extra money for that level of gorgeousness at the moment, unfortunately. But I've been going to that salon for years and years, and God bless them, they really let me stretch the limits of the amount of sparkly detail that they don't charge extra for. Sometimes I even bring pictures of Yuzu. :laugh:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
If there were O.W.Ls for muggle life I would definitely get a T for social awareness, I have less of it than trolls. See, I went to work wearing a denim overall skirt over a light, semi-translucent white sleeveless shirt (kinda like this but the skirt goes over my knees), courtesy of maman's shopping spree. I go to the swarm of chaos (aka the academy) and immediately get swept in. Some time later, the boss comes to see how the new recruit is doing (Ms. Natasha has been promoted to branch manager), then she passes me by with the words "Look at you Ms. Sarah, don't tell me you're going to come in a bikini next?" I'm like :roll9: for a minute, then I get distracted by the tidal wave of children.

During dinner I remember that happened, bring it up to maman, and she's like "Huh, she wants you to be a bit more prudent with your attire then?" I shamefully admit that moment was when I realized what the boss had meant by that. Like, I had absolutely no idea what that meant before listening to maman. Since my shirt was semi-translucent a bit of my bra could be seen, but I figured it wasn't that much of a big deal since a)the kids don't care what I'm wearing b)it's summer and c)maman was fine with it. Apparently it wasn't so with the boss, or maybe it's something else that my terribly limited social capabilities cannot fathom. Anyway, from now on it's back to non-translucent shirts and pants for work.

It's not a big deal according to maman, but my insecurities about my lack of social skills have been activated and I feel down. Where did I leave those sakura sake KitKats

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Sorry for the double post, but I need to get this out of my system: I just learned Kim Yeona is skating competitively in Korean domestic competitions!

The Kim Yeona in question just happens to be a 6 (or 7)-year-old. Wonder what it feels like to skate with the same name as the Queen, methinks it would be kinda burdensome but I've never skated. Come to think of it, she was born after Vancouver. Did her parents name her after the Queen??? :eek:

I'm doing a crazy thing that I have never done in my life. Out of nowhere I have started reading fanfics on Yuzuru and Evgenia being in a relationship since yesterday morning. It is not pleasant, it is exhausting, and it is consuming my time in the most stupid way. I am angry with myself but like an addict when I finish one stupid story I start reading a new one. Then, I get angrier with myself and the cycle continues. What is wrong with me?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm doing a crazy thing that I have never done in my life. Out of nowhere I have started reading fanfics on Yuzuru and Evgenia being in a relationship since yesterday morning. It is not pleasant, it is exhausting, and it is consuming my time in the most stupid way. I am angry with myself but like an addict when I finish one stupid story I start reading a new one. Then, I get angrier with myself and the cycle continues. What is wrong with me?

Turn back! Turn back! :hpull:

Turn back! Turn back! :hpull:

I don't know what is happening to me today? The worst part is that I'm absorbed in my laptop reading BS and since beloved husband is also a scientist like me asks "Are you reading the paper I just dropped you?" and, I'm answering "Oh yes, yes" :palmf:

OK, now I'm both stupid and a liar :(

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Call then roman a clef stories and you will probably feel better, because it sounds good and literary :biggrin:

Call then roman a clef stories and you will probably feel better, because it sounds good and literary :biggrin:

I guess that is a way around it :biggrin:

Well, maybe funny, but confessing helped me. I guess I am saved :laugh: Back to the research and recruiting students for my group. Of course, I hope none of those future students come across this confession :scard8:

hanyuufan5

Medalist
If there were O.W.Ls for muggle life I would definitely get a T for social awareness, I have less of it than trolls. See, I went to work wearing a denim overall skirt over a light, semi-translucent white sleeveless shirt (kinda like this but the skirt goes over my knees), courtesy of maman's shopping spree. I go to the swarm of chaos (aka the academy) and immediately get swept in. Some time later, the boss comes to see how the new recruit is doing (Ms. Natasha has been promoted to branch manager), then she passes me by with the words "Look at you Ms. Sarah, don't tell me you're going to come in a bikini next?" I'm like :roll9: for a minute, then I get distracted by the tidal wave of children.

During dinner I remember that happened, bring it up to maman, and she's like "Huh, she wants you to be a bit more prudent with your attire then?" I shamefully admit that moment was when I realized what the boss had meant by that. Like, I had absolutely no idea what that meant before listening to maman. Since my shirt was semi-translucent a bit of my bra could be seen, but I figured it wasn't that much of a big deal since a)the kids don't care what I'm wearing b)it's summer and c)maman was fine with it. Apparently it wasn't so with the boss, or maybe it's something else that my terribly limited social capabilities cannot fathom. Anyway, from now on it's back to non-translucent shirts and pants for work.

It's not a big deal according to maman, but my insecurities about my lack of social skills have been activated and I feel down. Where did I leave those sakura sake KitKats

You know, as I left for work this morning dressed in as little clothing as I could get away with without the safety officers barring my entrance to the building, I thought of this post and something else Ms. Natasha might have meant. Does Korea have that stereotype that women are always freezing cold at work? In many workplaces in America, some women almost seem to get offended if someone doesn't conform to that stereotype, like you're somehow betraying the sisterhood if you're actually hot in the summer. If you have that there, maybe she was either intentionally or unintentionally playing stereotype-police and trying to "punish" you for not falling in line with what's expected by society?

Either way, it was vague and rude and uncalled for. If she thought you were dressed inappropriately, she should have taken you aside where other people couldn't hear and told you politely but clearly, without beating around the bush with bikini metaphors. If I were her manager, she'd have gotten a talking-to for that. :slink:

Ducky

On the Ice
You know, as I left for work this morning dressed in as little clothing as I could get away with without the safety officers barring my entrance to the building, I thought of this post and something else Ms. Natasha might have meant. Does Korea have that stereotype that women are always freezing cold at work? In many workplaces in America, some women almost seem to get offended if someone doesn't conform to that stereotype, like you're somehow betraying the sisterhood if you're actually hot in the summer. If you have that there, maybe she was either intentionally or unintentionally playing stereotype-police and trying to "punish" you for not falling in line with what's expected by society?

Either way, it was vague and rude and uncalled for. If she thought you were dressed inappropriately, she should have taken you aside where other people couldn't hear and told you politely but clearly, without beating around the bush with bikini metaphors. If I were her manager, she'd have gotten a talking-to for that. :slink:

Well, in summer most American office buildings are freezing because they're set to accommodate men wearing full suits rather than women in light dresses and bare legs. Judging the number of my male colleagues who wear those silly fleece vests in the office in the middle of the summer it's not just the ladies who think it's too cold.

But yeah, generally, if someone has a problem with your outfit the better way to handle it is discreetly and to tactfully point out what was wrong so you're not left trying to guess exactly what the offending element was.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, in summer most American office buildings are freezing because they're set to accommodate men wearing full suits rather than women in light dresses and bare legs. Judging the number of my male colleagues who wear those silly fleece vests in the office in the middle of the summer it's not just the ladies who think it's too cold.

But yeah, generally, if someone has a problem with your outfit the better way to handle it is discreetly and to tactfully point out what was wrong so you're not left trying to guess exactly what the offending element was.

I work at a university, in a building that also houses the library, so the airconditioning is designed for books before people and if NEVER quite suits, especially in the full blast of an Aussie summer. On the other hand, even in the admin section the dress code tends to be... relaxed, shall we say? We therefore get everything from the wannabe career people dressed up to the nines to those who think leggings and T-shirts do it (I am somewhere in the middle)

hanyuufan5

Medalist
I work at a university, in a building that also houses the library, so the airconditioning is designed for books before people and if NEVER quite suits, especially in the full blast of an Aussie summer. On the other hand, even in the admin section the dress code tends to be... relaxed, shall we say? We therefore get everything from the wannabe career people dressed up to the nines to those who think leggings and T-shirts do it (I am somewhere in the middle)

Interesting, I guess some Australian universities are the same as some (most?) American ones with regard to the wide variety of clothing styles. Where I work, I'll be standing there looking like I raided Yana Rudkovskaya's closet while the person next to me is in jeans and sneakers, and no one will bat an eyelash at either of us, knock wood. (Well, unless I'm wearing a sundress and strappy sandals when it's 60F, that's always good for a few raised eyebrows...)

This clothing discussion is so funny. Well, I am a female scientist/Prof. I'm 36 but according to everyone around me don't look like older than 22. That makes me dress very formally otherwise students always confuse me with undergrads :laugh: However, dressing formally makes me look intimidating. Husband always tries to mix some colours into my clothing to somehow solve the problem :biggrin:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Ugh, it's been 3 months since I could write more than 3 sentences and nearly a year since I've finished a story. I desperately want to write, something, anything. Something that'll fill this void of not writing. Words and phrases flit around in my head, characters that are fleshed out in varying degrees poke in every now and then, I just don't have the vessel, the story to let them out. Only bits and fragments. The young mage got exiled to a foreign land where his magic doesn't work. What happens to him? The cynical once-human ghost-catching office employee got her deviant teenage angsty spirit. What else does she do? A whole fantasy world about 70% built is there. How do the main characters live in it? It's terrifying, the notion that I might never have a new story in me.

Something else worrying me: I was supposed to go to my tutor student's place today to see whether he had done okay with his finals, but apparently it's the anniversary of his grandfather's passing so no lesson. Now I'm twice as terrified. Oh please let him have done well

Ugh, it's been 3 months since I could write more than 3 sentences and nearly a year since I've finished a story. I desperately want to write, something, anything. Something that'll fill this void of not writing. Words and phrases flit around in my head, characters that are fleshed out in varying degrees poke in every now and then, I just don't have the vessel, the story to let them out. Only bits and fragments. The young mage got exiled to a foreign land where his magic doesn't work. What happens to him? The cynical once-human ghost-catching office employee got her deviant teenage angsty spirit. What else does she do? A whole fantasy world about 70% built is there. How do the main characters live in it? It's terrifying, the notion that I might never have a new story in me.

Don't worry, stories will come at a time you least expect. Stop thinking too much about them, let them come to you instead of you searching for them. I have so many stories in my mind from the very beginning to the end. So many characters, so many scenes, sometimes they don't let me sleep, I keep thinking about them. But, professionally I'm not a writer, somewhere in my life I took the wrong turn. So, now I just write about electron transfer in 2D layered materials and how electron-phonon coupling affects the rate of transfer :shrug: I want to take 3 months off from science to write just one story and let it out my chest but the competitive world of science these days and the high expectations simply does not let me :gaah:

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Since the only skaters present were my Free Skate classmates and me, I'll put this wacky dream here instead of the dream thread:

So, I was at my rink's summer camp, but the coach was my boss instead of any of the rink's actual coaches. :eeking: Also, a few of my coworkers, who as far as I know have never set foot on the ice in their lives, were there along with the usual Free Skate crowd (and in practice gear and Free Skate level-appropriate figure skates!). We were all lined up single file, and my boss, who in real life is a jolly, easygoing non-native English speaker, was barking orders at us in the slight Southern twang of a movie drill sergeant. My classmates were not the slightest bit perturbed by a total stranger in a dress shirt, khakis, and Ice Flys coaching our summer camp, and my coworkers were equally unfazed by our boss acting as if he were possessed by the ghost of General MacArthur. Meanwhile, I was just standing there at the end of the single-file line, looking at everyone like, "Really!? No one else finds this weird!?"

What the :curse:, brain! :laugh:

Ducky

On the Ice

Something else worrying me: I was supposed to go to my tutor student's place today to see whether he had done okay with his finals, but apparently it's the anniversary of his grandfather's passing so no lesson. Now I'm twice as terrified. Oh please let him have done well

The best thing is to just write. Sometimes the stories don't come, but that's fine too. It's all right to write a scene or a description or dialogue and to not know if it fits with what you're currently working on or if it's any good. Because it's more important to have something to edit and work with than to have perfection of the first go around.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Kiryu makes me feel like I'm back in high school first learning Japanese again. I don't think I've listened to Japanese songs and understood so little of them since I was 17. :eeking:

Ah, visual kei, still my number one language teacher after all these years.