Page 147 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4797137138139140141142143144145146147
Results 2,921 to 2,933 of 2933

Thread: Random Confessions

Here for the High Lord of Extra TallyT's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Well, in summer most American office buildings are freezing because they're set to accommodate men wearing full suits rather than women in light dresses and bare legs. Judging the number of my male colleagues who wear those silly fleece vests in the office in the middle of the summer it's not just the ladies who think it's too cold.

But yeah, generally, if someone has a problem with your outfit the better way to handle it is discreetly and to tactfully point out what was wrong so you're not left trying to guess exactly what the offending element was.
    I work at a university, in a building that also houses the library, so the airconditioning is designed for books before people and if NEVER quite suits, especially in the full blast of an Aussie summer. On the other hand, even in the admin section the dress code tends to be... relaxed, shall we say? We therefore get everything from the wannabe career people dressed up to the nines to those who think leggings and T-shirts do it (I am somewhere in the middle)

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TallyT View Post
    I work at a university, in a building that also houses the library, so the airconditioning is designed for books before people and if NEVER quite suits, especially in the full blast of an Aussie summer. On the other hand, even in the admin section the dress code tends to be... relaxed, shall we say? We therefore get everything from the wannabe career people dressed up to the nines to those who think leggings and T-shirts do it (I am somewhere in the middle)
    Interesting, I guess some Australian universities are the same as some (most?) American ones with regard to the wide variety of clothing styles. Where I work, I'll be standing there looking like I raided Yana Rudkovskaya's closet while the person next to me is in jeans and sneakers, and no one will bat an eyelash at either of us, knock wood. (Well, unless I'm wearing a sundress and strappy sandals when it's 60F, that's always good for a few raised eyebrows...)

2 Not allowed!
    This clothing discussion is so funny. Well, I am a female scientist/Prof. I'm 36 but according to everyone around me don't look like older than 22. That makes me dress very formally otherwise students always confuse me with undergrads However, dressing formally makes me look intimidating. Husband always tries to mix some colours into my clothing to somehow solve the problem

Long live the Queen and her successors Ichatdelune's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Ugh, it's been 3 months since I could write more than 3 sentences and nearly a year since I've finished a story. I desperately want to write, something, anything. Something that'll fill this void of not writing. Words and phrases flit around in my head, characters that are fleshed out in varying degrees poke in every now and then, I just don't have the vessel, the story to let them out. Only bits and fragments. The young mage got exiled to a foreign land where his magic doesn't work. What happens to him? The cynical once-human ghost-catching office employee got her deviant teenage angsty spirit. What else does she do? A whole fantasy world about 70% built is there. How do the main characters live in it? It's terrifying, the notion that I might never have a new story in me.

Something else worrying me: I was supposed to go to my tutor student's place today to see whether he had done okay with his finals, but apparently it's the anniversary of his grandfather's passing so no lesson. Now I'm twice as terrified. Oh please let him have done well

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichatdelune View Post
    Ugh, it's been 3 months since I could write more than 3 sentences and nearly a year since I've finished a story. I desperately want to write, something, anything. Something that'll fill this void of not writing. Words and phrases flit around in my head, characters that are fleshed out in varying degrees poke in every now and then, I just don't have the vessel, the story to let them out. Only bits and fragments. The young mage got exiled to a foreign land where his magic doesn't work. What happens to him? The cynical once-human ghost-catching office employee got her deviant teenage angsty spirit. What else does she do? A whole fantasy world about 70% built is there. How do the main characters live in it? It's terrifying, the notion that I might never have a new story in me.
    Don't worry, stories will come at a time you least expect. Stop thinking too much about them, let them come to you instead of you searching for them. I have so many stories in my mind from the very beginning to the end. So many characters, so many scenes, sometimes they don't let me sleep, I keep thinking about them. But, professionally I'm not a writer, somewhere in my life I took the wrong turn. So, now I just write about electron transfer in 2D layered materials and how electron-phonon coupling affects the rate of transfer I want to take 3 months off from science to write just one story and let it out my chest but the competitive world of science these days and the high expectations simply does not let me

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Since the only skaters present were my Free Skate classmates and me, I'll put this wacky dream here instead of the dream thread:

So, I was at my rink's summer camp, but the coach was my boss instead of any of the rink's actual coaches. Also, a few of my coworkers, who as far as I know have never set foot on the ice in their lives, were there along with the usual Free Skate crowd (and in practice gear and Free Skate level-appropriate figure skates!). We were all lined up single file, and my boss, who in real life is a jolly, easygoing non-native English speaker, was barking orders at us in the slight Southern twang of a movie drill sergeant. My classmates were not the slightest bit perturbed by a total stranger in a dress shirt, khakis, and Ice Flys coaching our summer camp, and my coworkers were equally unfazed by our boss acting as if he were possessed by the ghost of General MacArthur. Meanwhile, I was just standing there at the end of the single-file line, looking at everyone like, "Really!? No one else finds this weird!?"

What the , brain!

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!

Something else worrying me: I was supposed to go to my tutor student's place today to see whether he had done okay with his finals, but apparently it's the anniversary of his grandfather's passing so no lesson. Now I'm twice as terrified. Oh please let him have done well
    The best thing is to just write. Sometimes the stories don't come, but that's fine too. It's all right to write a scene or a description or dialogue and to not know if it fits with what you're currently working on or if it's any good. Because it's more important to have something to edit and work with than to have perfection of the first go around.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Kiryu makes me feel like I'm back in high school first learning Japanese again. I don't think I've listened to Japanese songs and understood so little of them since I was 17.

Ah, visual kei, still my number one language teacher after all these years.

2 Not allowed!
    Oh the fellow feeling here.... have you tried clustering?
    http://www.efrogpress.com/2014/07/22...writers-block/

It sometimes works for me, as does simply sitting and writing the first rubbish that comes into my head just to get going (it very carefully gets deleted later of course )

I love those character ideas! Do you 'cast' your characters? I find that sometimes helps because I then hear the voices....

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TallyT View Post
    Oh the fellow feeling here.... have you tried clustering?
    http://www.efrogpress.com/2014/07/22...writers-block/

It sometimes works for me, as does simply sitting and writing the first rubbish that comes into my head just to get going (it very carefully gets deleted later of course )

I love those character ideas! Do you 'cast' your characters? I find that sometimes helps because I then hear the voices....
    Tried clustering, now I have like 10 more ideas/fragments and 0 new stories (deep sigh) but thanks a million. I guess I'll have to wait again for my cat of a muse to come with one that'll make me just unable to stop typing, in the meantime I can always write like three sentences then erase everything

1 Not allowed!
    I just got scolded by maman for being up at 3:40 am, I got caught because I couldn't help scream out in delight when the talented and cute Oh Sanguk won his first individual World championship. I was just watching because well it's the off-season and a good-looking Korean who does well is always nice to watch, but I think I might kinda be into the sport of Sabre Fencing now...

4 Not allowed!
    Tried clustering, now I have like 10 more ideas/fragments and 0 new stories (deep sigh) but thanks a million. I guess I'll have to wait again for my cat of a muse to come with one that'll make me just unable to stop typing, in the meantime I can always write like three sentences then erase everything
    "Writer's block.... when your imaginary friends won't talk to you."

Medalist

3 Not allowed!
    Looked up Oh Sanguk, and wow, he is tall! (And definitely cute. )

Here's a random confession: I haven't met many Koreans, but every single one I have met has been taller than my tiny self. Too bad no one ever took a picture from behind of my Korean classmate and me in middle school gym class. It would have been such a great April Fool's prank to try to pass it off as Yelim Kim and Anna Shcherbakova warming up for the 2018 JGPF.

Page 147 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4797137138139140141142143144145146147