Thread: Random Confessions

5 Not allowed!
    To those unfamiliar with country life, deer usually go on the move in predawn and post twilight hours after and before complete darkness. Though I have seen them many times at distance and fairly close range, I have never had an up close encounter. Last evening, driving home along my winding country road post twilight I spotted a pair leap into and scamper across the road from the right about 8 feet in front of the car; I immediately came full stop and watched them disappear into the verge at left wondering if they travelled mostly by two's or if there were more. Still looking left, I put the car in gear and started to move slowly forward (no more than 5 mph) turning my attention back to the road ahead and slammed on the brake hard!!!! Another deer, very large, ran into the road from the same spot as the other two less than a foot from the front of the car.. 99 % positive I did NOT hit it.... no thump and, checking later, no marks on the car indicating contact was made but it was a narrow escape for us both. Scared the living daylights out of me...

。*:.*'<3

3 Not allowed!
    Another major competition over, another big reminder why I usually stay off any threads on The Edge that aren't "figure skater lookalikes" or "you know you're a FS fan when".

I'm just glad that I can appreciate every single skater, from the most artistic and least technical, to the most technical and least artistic, to the most balanced, to little kids doing one-minute programs to pass their freestyle tests, for who they are. (My sleep schedule probably wishes I'd be more choosy, though.)

That being said, I still think Yuzu is the unequivocal GOAT. But that's just my opinion, and no matter how much I would tattoo it on my right ankle if tattoos weren't against my religion, I will never, ever think it more or less valid than anyone else's reasonable opinion (reasonable, i.e. not "he's not the GOAT because I like Skater A's hair better" or something ).

4 Not allowed!
    Glad you're okay, elbkup!

3 Not allowed!
    glad you're okay. we have the same issue with moose up here.

6 Not allowed!
    Yes.. thsnks!! I am fine but I stressed about that deer all evening long!! Until the Men's FS.. then it was as if it had never been..

Moose are scary. . All you see are legs..!!

GS given name - Beatrice

7 Not allowed!
    I'm facing another YOLO FS trip possibility (The Challenge Cup next week in Hague) as one of my workmates search sleepover options through her friends in The Netherlands, I don't know if I am completely out of my mind or else. Seeing Kevin, Rika, Wakaba again would be a dream come true...And gift ideas are already forming in my head

Long live the Queen and her successors Ichatdelune's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
    On the good side, I'm not getting fired. On the bad side, I'm going to be under supervision until I start teaching according to protocol. I know it's a business and I'm supposed to follow the rules (and I am going to have to unless I want to get sacked), but it does feel bitter that my good intentions were received with complaints of "Lessons with her are too long and too difficult". Yes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, but I really was doing my best to teach them the language and also help them appreciate the wonderful books they were reading... Oh well, I'll just have to cut down the contextual trivia even more than I have already and stop making the kids think for themselves... (sigh)

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichatdelune View Post
    On the good side, I'm not getting fired. On the bad side, I'm going to be under supervision until I start teaching according to protocol. I know it's a business and I'm supposed to follow the rules (and I am going to have to unless I want to get sacked), but it does feel bitter that my good intentions were received with complaints of "Lessons with her are too long and too difficult". Yes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, but I really was doing my best to teach them the language and also help them appreciate the wonderful books they were reading... Oh well, I'll just have to cut down the contextual trivia even more than I have already and stop making the kids think for themselves... (sigh)
    (hugs) Try not to take it personally. Most of those kids are probably not there by choice. As someone who loathed reading as a kid, I never had a problem with the teachers, just the fact that I had to read at all. Liking the teacher was even worse, because then I felt guilty that I hated the subject (s)he taught. I could have gone to a reading class taught by Kristi Yamaguchi, and it just would have made me hate reading even more, because here's this opportunity to be with my favorite skater at the time, but I'm utterly miserable and can't enjoy it at all because of what we're doing.

That being said, I loved language classes... but if we'd had to read fiction books in the language we were learning, I'd have hated them. (Nonfiction would have been fine. Maybe. If it were a subject I liked. Possibly.)

Here for the High Lord of Extra TallyT's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Listening to the soundtrack of the original Cosmos series (music by Vangelis)... I really really would love to see Mao Asada do this one (and I'm not even in to ladies' skating! but for some reason she came straight to mind)...

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by elbkup View Post
    To those unfamiliar with country life, deer usually go on the move in predawn and post twilight hours after and before complete darkness. Though I have seen them many times at distance and fairly close range, I have never had an up close encounter. Last evening, driving home along my winding country road post twilight I spotted a pair leap into and scamper across the road from the right about 8 feet in front of the car; I immediately came full stop and watched them disappear into the verge at left wondering if they travelled mostly by two's or if there were more. Still looking left, I put the car in gear and started to move slowly forward (no more than 5 mph) turning my attention back to the road ahead and slammed on the brake hard!!!! Another deer, very large, ran into the road from the same spot as the other two less than a foot from the front of the car.. 99 % positive I did NOT hit it.... no thump and, checking later, no marks on the car indicating contact was made but it was a narrow escape for us both. Scared the living daylights out of me...
    Glad you're ok. Very scary. I clobbered one going 55 mph and my car was a mess. My aunt and uncle totaled their car and were lucky they weren't killed. I've grazed at least 4 deer (while in MI.) My friends say I have a deer magnet attached to my car. Mostly my adventures have taken place in MI., but I also had a deer in my driveway( in a Chicago suburban area!). Go figure -- they just seem to like me!

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arriba627 View Post
    Glad you're ok. Very scary. I clobbered one going 55 mph and my car was a mess. My aunt and uncle totaled their car and were lucky they weren't killed. I've grazed at least 4 deer (while in MI.) My friends say I have a deer magnet attached to my car. Mostly my adventures have taken place in MI., but I also had a deer in my driveway( in a suburban area!). Go figure -- they just seem to like me!
    Knock wood never had that happen but my sister has had similar incidents to yours... deer
    can do lots of damage accidentwise, true, awful for all concerned and heartbreaking to see such beautiful creatures lying on the road; my heart goes out to you. While I have seen them in full daylight and in complete darkness, most of my sightings were predawn and around twilight... mist fog is the worst, think it confuses them. Speed limit on that road is low and I avoid travel during those times if it is possible. Invariably a motorist will appear behind me riding my tail so I pull over and let it go past ... crazy!! Unfortunately that road lies between two major routes so motorists who don't have a clue use it as a short cut between.. This year no passing lines have been painted on the most iffy parts and new signs have been added to alert travelers to blind curves and hills.. Still, I had one pickup truck pass me in a no-pass zone yesterday... sign of the times (sigh).. and we will not speak of the ones that habitually burn rubber ... it is major cause for concern

2 Not allowed!
    We live near a park, so we have to watch out for deer. I know a few too many friends who have had unpleasant car encounters with them.

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    We live near a park, so we have to watch out for deer. I know a few too many friends who have had unpleasant car encounters with them.
    They are infiltrating populated areas more because their habitats are becoming endangered and they have no where else to go.. I lived just outside of NH's largest city close to the Merrimack River for many years ... due to massive building projects up north during the last decade deer from NH north country began to follow the river down to the more populated areas and became a fairly common sight in cities..it is a tragedy for wildlife, one that environmentalists are attempting to address..

1 Not allowed!
    I just realized that Team Japan has a Hanyu, a Rika, and a Satoko. Now it just needs a Mion, a Shion, and a Keiichi, and it's got the whole Higurashi no Naku Koro ni gang...

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hanyuufan5 View Post
    I just realized that Team Japan has a Hanyu, a Rika, and a Satoko. Now it just needs a Mion, a Shion, and a Keiichi, and it's got the whole Higurashi no Naku Koro ni gang...
    And a Rena.

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by elbkup View Post
    Yes.. thsnks!! I am fine but I stressed about that deer all evening long!! Until the Men's FS.. then it was as if it had never been..

Moose are scary. . All you see are legs..!!
    if you even see them... they come out of no where like they want to check your reflexes. normally in the dark.

Here for the High Lord of Extra TallyT's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    glad you're okay. we have the same issue with moose up here.
    Kangaroos are what do it here. There is nothing quite like a big kangaroo suddenly being right there in front of your car...

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TallyT View Post
    Kangaroos are what do it here. There is nothing quite like a big kangaroo suddenly being right there in front of your car...

5 Not allowed!
    Yesterday I saw a guy who looks like Javi. I might have creepily stare at him for a moment. Needles to say, it was the highlight of my day

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cathlen View Post
    Can you talk about it with someone else at work?
    I did and they said to just ignore said behaviour

And on a completely different note - I just came back from a work trip where I had the opportunity to bunk with a couple of genteel and refined (in mannerism and interaction) ladies from work. Imagine my (delighted) surprise when a lot of our after-work chats in our room revolved around butts, poop, and various stomach disorders

Page 133 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3383123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141 LastLast