Random Confessions | Page 164 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What does this mean for Team TCC? Evgenia, Jason and Yuzuru? If they are in Canada do they have to leave?

I read it as more if they do leave, they may have problems coming back till the closure is lifted.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What does this mean for Team TCC? Evgenia, Jason and Yuzuru? If they are in Canada do they have to leave?

I read it as more if they do leave, they may have problems coming back till the closure is lifted.

Jason is a US citizen, so right now he could leave Canada and come back (subject to 14-days of self-isolation on his return to Canada). And that's if the rules don't change. All my neighbors who are out of the country (including those in the US) are scurrying back as fast as they can. Four units out of 16 will soon be in self-isolation.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've been writing, watching YouTube videos, and watching classic games on TV to pass time.

But honestly, this whole thing is hard. No figure skating. No hockey. No basketball. No baseball (Though the season isn't originally supposed to start yet). Sports is something I love to watch and is an escape from hearing about politics, news, and crazies on twitter spewing stupid stuff. Not having it for 2 months is tough. And that means the banner and ring ceremony for my Washington Nationals is being delayed till at least May.

I fully know and understand it's to flatten the curve/stop the spread of coronavirus, but that doesn't mean I can't be upset about it.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I've been writing, watching YouTube videos, and watching classic games on TV to pass time.

But honestly, this whole thing is hard. No figure skating. No hockey. No basketball. No baseball (Though the season isn't originally supposed to start yet). Sports is something I love to watch and is an escape from hearing about politics, news, and crazies on twitter spewing stupid stuff. Not having it for 2 months is tough. And that means the banner and ring ceremony for my Washington Nationals is being delayed till at least May.

I fully know and understand it's to flatten the curve/stop the spread of coronavirus, but that doesn't mean I can't be upset about it.

Understanding something is necessary and finding is sucky are not mutually exclusive! We can both feel like we are doing what we need to but still be bummed about it. Sending support!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I must confess...I love that after three years this thread is still going! I think I’ll watch Legally Blond tonight in tribute :biggrin:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Understanding something is necessary and finding is sucky are not mutually exclusive! We can both feel like we are doing what we need to but still be bummed about it. Sending support!

Add me to that list. :cry: I'm trying to just focus on being grateful that I'm in the bottom of the barrel of the low risk group, but sometimes that involves some not-very-pretty language to nip any excessive self-pity in the bud. :laugh:

And true to the original spirit of this thread, here's a confession: I actually drew a fake "Golden Head-Pat Award" sticker one of my work papers to cheer myself up about not being able to submit it in person despite the fact that I would risk exposure if I only had myself to think about. It really helped... :slink:

Ducky

On the Ice

A lot of my friends now are unemployed (and will soon be without heath insurance! during a pandemic!) and I can't go up to them and offer to buy them a drink or give them a hug or just say come over and we'll have a bottle of wine tonight. And I keep hearing of more and more lay offs as stores close or museums shut their doors. So yeah, it's quite possible to know that this is REALLY for the greater good and be upset (and scared) of the effects of what this is going to mean for the city.

If I sound callous, I spent a good portion during the great recession unemployed because of a job loss, so all of this is giving me a lot of PTSD.

SteamedEggplant

Rinkside
^ I came up against this yesterday as a teacher. It's hard to know what to say to students who say they're going to lose their jobs and that soon they won't be able to pay rent. There's no real practical advice I can offer right now. All I can do is be encouraging and let them know that we will all be thinking of each other, and that we're not really alone no matter how much physical space is between us and the next person!

Seems like a sense of community will be found in alternate spaces (like online forums...). Also getting lost in other worlds for a short amount of time really does help. Reading good books, watching TV shows and films, old figure skating programs. Playing games (new Animal Crossing comes out Friday :yay:).

hanyuufan5

Medalist
I just noticed that some parts of my cat's belly floof have the exact same wave pattern as my hair, albeit on a much smaller scale. :laugh:

Ducky

On the Ice
The star of tonight's local bar regulars Zoom happy hour chat was my roommate's cat because he's that cool.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I had two video conferneces this week with my friends, because I miss talking to someone other than my co-workers. It's me being really desperate because I've never even once done it before and one friend said she missed hearing our voices, so it's not only me and that makes me happy :)

hanyuufan5

Medalist
I just found a picture of my grandfather as a kid with his dad. He has the same bob and bangs/fringe as Dobromir Voronov (very good skater, and brother of the Rostelecom flower boy who's a big Yuzu fan) and a bunch of other little Russian figure skaters. Either Grandpa was ahead of his time, or that's been a reasonably common little Russian boy hairstyle for over 90 years. :laugh: Also, I'm pretty sure my great-grandfather is younger than I am in that picture.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
@elbkup, Is grocery delivery available where you are via Instacart or Peapod, perhaps? In my area, all the big groceries have online ordering and home delivery. Peapod is Stop and Shop.

Instacart does this for many groceries all over.

https://www.instacart.com/grocery-delivery

Thanks for the tip Doris ..will definitely look into this. Hopefully they will deliver out here tho FedEx, UPS, regular mail is terrific.. very dependable. I have made a couple of trips to the very local Better Value which was more crowded than usual. I need very little meat but the family use it alot. BV were limiting fresh chicken to 2 packs per person and the shelves are usually empty, plenty of beef and pork. May try the corned beef you mebtioned in another post and will revisit beef stew and pork tenderloin in future. Their veges are fresh. Normally we get fresh salad greens, cheese, and meat delivered from a local farm every Friday but his meat is currently back ordered. Went to Big Y last Saturday, SO crowded one could barely move nevermind keeping a 6 foot distance. Walmart shelves are empty (passed two women in conversation there, one complaining to the other that she was going to have to eat fish!! Horrors!) I wear vinyl gloves and a mask in such places but my trips are few...

Ducky

On the Ice
Thanks for the tip Doris ..will definitely look into this. Hopefully they will deliver out here tho FedEx, UPS, regular mail is terrific.. very dependable. I have made a couple of trips to the very local Better Value which was more crowded than usual. I need very little meat but the family use it alot. BV were limiting fresh chicken to 2 packs per person and the shelves are usually empty, plenty of beef and pork. May try the corned beef you mebtioned in another post and will revisit beef stew and pork tenderloin in future. Their veges are fresh. Normally we get fresh salad greens, cheese, and meat delivered from a local farm every Friday but his meat is currently back ordered. Went to Big Y last Saturday, SO crowded one could barely move nevermind keeping a 6 foot distance. Walmart shelves are empty (passed two women in conversation there, one complaining to the other that she was going to have to eat fish!! Horrors!) I wear vinyl gloves and a mask in such places but my trips are few...

From my experience with Peapod - and by "my experience" I mean what my former employer's Hampton's housekeeper's experience with Peapod*, is that they do delivery wherever you can get FedEx and UPS.

*Because heaven forbid her family would ever have to set foot in a grocery store themselves.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
From my experience with Peapod - and by "my experience" I mean what my former employer's Hampton's housekeeper's experience with Peapod*, is that they do delivery wherever you can get FedEx and UPS.

*Because heaven forbid her family would ever have to set foot in a grocery store themselves.

Thanks Ducky.. good to know..!!

:agree:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I need to stop having favourite characters in TV shows. Another one died (again) and now I'm in denial. Again. :gaah:

Also, I messed up on my meds and now my head hurts. Time to go outside after a month of being holed up in my room (sigh)