Random Confessions | Page 165 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
A couple of weeks ago, I spotted a film in the listings. And when I read the description, and saw who the two leading characters were played by, I thought "ah, I've seen him in films before, but I don't think I've seen her in anything yet". But, I forgot about it. :bang:

Fortunately, it was repeated on Thrursday. And less than a minute into it, I got a big surprise - my favourite actor appeared! And I thought "why on Earth was he not mentioned in the description?!" (His character had just as big a role as the leading actor).

When I saw him, my first thought was "boys, but you look young!" For a start, he had hair! :shocked: So, after watching the film, I went onto Wikipedia and got a shock - he was a year younger then than I am now! :eek: (Bear in mind - he was 74 when died just over a week after I was born, and if he was still alive, he would be 108).

Here are a couple of photos of him with the headliners:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B48HF-ZAAun/

Oh, and are some pictures of him 23 years later with a former figure skater:

https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...anita-harris-as-picture-id3368096?s=2048x2048
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...arris-filming-picture-id954629750?s=2048x2048
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...arris-filming-picture-id954629646?s=2048x2048

:love:

CaroLiza_fan

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I bought $20 worth of face masks yesterday. At least my skin will look good after the quarantine is over... :laugh:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Speaking of masks (of a different sort), a Japanese designer that I've liked since high school came out with a bunch of gorgeous fabric masks. At first, I thought the one I liked the best was way too expensive for something I could only wear when cleaning or using smelly beauty products or whatever, but it kept haunting me. After days of it nagging at me, I decided I use nail polish and whatnot often enough to warrant spending the money, plus if I ever go (or even move) to Japan, I can wear it to my allergy-ridden heart's content. But the proxy site won't ship them overseas due to the coronavirus.

So, now I'm quite possibly the only person in the world who's waiting for the pandemic to be over to buy a mask. :shocked: And really hoping they don't sell out by then...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
In a moment of weakness, I caved and ordered that skating costumes book from Japan... Satomi Ito's Figure Skating Art Costumes.:love: From Japan (but not amazon, they don't ship to Australia) and umm, yes very expensive ('m using part of the gift card my office gave me as a leaving gift since they couldn't go shopping), though even with postage it was still cheaper than getting one of the big Sydney bookshops to order it in...

There's a preview (of the ebook version) here: https://viewer-trial.bookwalker.jp/03/9/viewer.html?cid=f3a343e8-b3fc-4271-8375-7890cb552397&cty=1 I blame going and looking at this for my final cracking.

Now I just have to talk myself out of a couple of other costumes books (I didn't even watch Game of Thrones, but I looove the costumes)

Ducky

On the Ice
My roommate's cat is learning that if he wants to sleep on my bed he's going to have to suffer with me interrupting his sleep for impromtu cuddles. Someone cannot WAIT for me to be able to go back to working in an office.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Just ordered the Japanese version of the Final Fantasy 7 remake. My wallet is crying. I don't care. RUFUS SHINRA IN HD.

Today's random confession is that I've had an enormous crush on Rufus Shinra for the better part of two decades, and given his physique and some of his new battle moves, now really really want to pair skate with him. :laugh:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Popping up to wish GS community so close to my heart Happy Easter time, regardless of beliefs.
This is my first ever Easter alone - my mom didn't manage to get back from work abroad, too much risk of travelling. So we are 'celebrating' each one in different place, me mom and sister. But we know it's for the best.
Sharing with you wishes of health, peace, strenght and hope. And this breakfast made for myself, trying to evoke home...
https://twitter.com/NoNameFace10/status/1249267889749753856?s=19

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Happy Easter to all who celebrate the holiday!

Happy Passover to all who celebrate the holiday (we're mid-way through the holiday @ this point. Day 4, Day 5 begins @ sundown)!

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Happy Easter!

Well, early Easter for me. It's next Sunday for us old calendar folks. It's going to be weird not being at church until 3 A.M. Fortunately there are livestreams, but I'll miss everyone shouting "Христос воскресе!" and "Воистину воскресе!" back and forth into the streets of (town name here) at midnight, although the residents of that area might not miss us!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Happy Easter and Happy Passover. Easter is my favorite holiday, so it does seem a bit strange to not be celebrating. Sharing two bits of fun to brighten your day:

A rousing rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus by the Grand Rapids, Michigan Symphony and Chorus
https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-ra...TffiFCQLm3Sx41G9zJGnjM2Zs_d6QNqkzfzcEiy5_LP7M

Sharing a unique Easter cake. I shared it in another thread already, but we need all the smiles we can get! :laugh:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cc/84/7d/cc847d5cc26bdebd78ada73970346c18.jpg

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have just watched a short film starring one of the skaters I have adopted. (I assume it was a project for her University course. Especially since it was filmed on her University campus!)

Not long into it, her co-star is shown reading a story on a well-known newspaper's website. Well, it was obviously a mock-up they made for the film themselves because, apart from anything else, the website doesn't actually look like that. :p Plus, the address bar said we were looking at a file uploaded to a well known social networking site!

Anyway, I am one of those weirdos that, when they are watching a programme and see a shot of writing, pauses the programme to read what it says in full. And this story got me intrigued. It was arranged in 3 columns. The first and last columns were in English. But, the middle column was in a different language. To me, it looked like Latin.

Maybe it is because I like to have things organised, but it looks very odd having a different language in the middle of a story. Usually, if a story was being printed in multiple languages, it would be one language at a time. Not language 1, then language 2, then back to language 1. Plus, Latin seems a strange choice of language to use, because it is neither the native language of the actresses (that would be Russian), nor a language currently spoken in the country they are in (I deliberately said "currently", because once upon a time it had been a province of the Roman Empire).

Curiosity got the better of me, so I went onto Google Translate and started typing in what this middle column said. Barely a word in, and Google detected it as being Latin. This made me feel good! :cool: However, as I continued typing, the translator was getting very confused. The translations of the sentences were not making sense, and a lot of words were going untranslated.

So, now I am wondering if it was actually a different language that looks similar to Latin, and that Google was too quick in jumping to conclusions.

Here is what was written in that middle column:

Donec sed malesuada orci. Vestibulum faucibus nulla eu est venenatis egestas. Mauris congue dolor et dolor commodo gravida. Fusce eu suscipit lacus, id egestas nisi. Ut nec dapibus sapien, id cursus risus. Nullam porttitor, mauris sit amet laoreet ultricies, nulla nibh iaculis tortor, eu congue nisi justo in lorem. Pellentesque vel congue ante. Suspendisse pretium sem est, a tincidunt nunc dictum a. In mattis arcu dui.

Does anybody recognise what it is saying? Does it make sense? Or, is it just nonsense?

I'm just curious to know whether it is actually relevant to the story around it, or whether it was just unrelated stuff stuck in to fill up space. I suspect the latter. After all, if you are showing a made up story about a murder to provide background to your film's storyline, it is better to not go into too much detail in case it inadvertantly starts to resemble a real-life story. Because then you might get into legal trouble.

So, can anybody enlighten me?

CaroLiza_fan

hanyuufan5

Medalist
As much as I hate this quarantine (to say nothing of the death and illness it's meant to prevent) and want things back to normal ASAP, I am livin' the dream with regard to being able to wear a mask anywhere I want in my own country. :laugh: I really hope the world will follow Japan's lead with regard to the acceptability of masks for allergy sufferers after this is all over. :pray:

DenissVFan

Medalist
I've just had a Zoom meeting with screen sharing and I'd cleaned my history beforehand only to see "ISU World Standings" in the suggestions bar when I started typing something :p

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I hate my Introduction to Modern Western History professor. 50 questions for an assignment (well it's supposed to substitute midterms but like seriously my other classes just decided to skip midterms in its entirety), and they're not even 'big points'. It's basically asking students to make Sparknotes out of the class so far, I'm on question 34 right now and I'm dying :dbana: :tantrum:

oldsk8er

Rinkside
I must confess....

I have been listening to A LOT of sappy 70's (love) songs

I also must confess ..I like Barry Manilow and if ever given the opportunity, I would like to skate to "Can't smile without you"

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hate my Introduction to Modern Western History professor. 50 questions for an assignment (well it's supposed to substitute midterms but like seriously my other classes just decided to skip midterms in its entirety), and they're not even 'big points'. It's basically asking students to make Sparknotes out of the class so far, I'm on question 34 right now and I'm dying :dbana: :tantrum:

Hopefully it will get better for you! :pray:

Ducky

On the Ice
I'm being utterly petty right now but I'm so sick of always being the ones to reach out to my friends and would kind of like for one of them to actually turn around and maybe text me first? Like how hard is that? And I even told one of my friends outright that I felt like it seems like everyone is dealing with people who they think that actually matter it's kind of a sign that I don't.... and I get a response a day later how I'm the only one who actually is doing that. But it's not that hard of an ask to maybe reach out every once is a frelling while?

So, I'm just going to stop. If they're only going to reach out to for the name of the app I use to order wine because they're too afraid to walk to the bodega and need some since their boyfriend has gone mia for three days and not even say thank you when I frelling say okay, that store is closed all but I'll stop by and drop off a pack of a favorite beer, and don't worry about paying me back -- because that's what a friend does --I'm not talking to you again. If you're response to me saying that I feel like no one really cares is "well I appreciate you texting me" but no follow through, I'm giving you the silent treatment because it's quite obvious that you don't think you need to do anything to maintain this friendship.

I am quite fine with cutting off my nose to spite my face right now. Which is counter productive in the long run, but it's not as if anyone is even going to notice my radio silence. So what of it.

And rant over.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:console: :ghug: @Ducky

I know when I am depressed, I don't communicate very well or very often with even my dearest friends. Thanks for the reminder that in these difficult times when so many are depressed, I need to watch something by that ray of sunshine Jason Brown and start on my call list. :)

Blessings on you for reaching out to others.

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm being utterly petty right now but I'm so sick of always being the ones to reach out to my friends and would kind of like for one of them to actually turn around and maybe text me first? Like how hard is that? And I even told one of my friends outright that I felt like it seems like everyone is dealing with people who they think that actually matter it's kind of a sign that I don't.... and I get a response a day later how I'm the only one who actually is doing that. But it's not that hard of an ask to maybe reach out every once is a frelling while?

So, I'm just going to stop. If they're only going to reach out to for the name of the app I use to order wine because they're too afraid to walk to the bodega and need some since their boyfriend has gone mia for three days and not even say thank you when I frelling say okay, that store is closed all but I'll stop by and drop off a pack of a favorite beer, and don't worry about paying me back -- because that's what a friend does --I'm not talking to you again. If you're response to me saying that I feel like no one really cares is "well I appreciate you texting me" but no follow through, I'm giving you the silent treatment because it's quite obvious that you don't think you need to do anything to maintain this friendship.

I am quite fine with cutting off my nose to spite my face right now. Which is counter productive in the long run, but it's not as if anyone is even going to notice my radio silence. So what of it.

And rant over.

Kinda sounds like my sister actually... but I have learned to live with it and know that, in some respects, I am at peace with myself and her at the same time.. it's a learning process; stepping into some else's shoes, see life from another's perspective and mindset briefly.. returning to your own skin you find ... hey, I am really in a good place after all!! Do what you can for others when it works for you, enriches you.. let the rest fall away..

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

And rant over.

I used to have a few similiar "friendships". I feel you. It is very, very frustrating in the long run. And I did a silent treatment too. It was the end to some of it. But in some cases, it did help telling outright I don't like being the one contacting them all the time. I hope it will work for you too :ghug:

On the other news, I learnt Russian alphabet. I will finally be able to read the results of Russian domestic competitions :hap10: