Random Confessions | Page 153 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Has anyone recently skated to music by Dead Can Dance? :scratch:

Yes, I believe ice dancers have used it recently but can't remember who LOL!

Alexander Johnson used DCD "Song of the Stars" as his SP last year early on, then switched it.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Because the normal format has been struggling in the ratings for the past few years, we are having a celebrity series of the X Factor this year. And I have to admit, I have never heard tell of most of the people taking part!

The only ones I have heard tell of are:

• Brendan Cole in one of the groups (heard his name mentioned when people have been talking about "Strictly Come Dancing")
  • Ben Foden in another of the groups (only because he is married to Una Healey, the Irish girl in the Saturdays)
  • All the people in the Overs category (talk show host Ricky Lake; journalist Martin Bashir; Jenny Ryan from "The Chase"; and although I didn't recognise her name, I recognised actress Victoria Ekanoye from her time in "Coronation Street")

I've never heard tell of any of the Unders (well, I assume one of them is David Hasselhoff's daughter), or any of the other people in the Groups.

It is a sad indictment on modern society when people who appear on the likes of "Love Island", "The Only Way Is Essex", etc. are classed as "celebrities". So, I admit that I am proud that I don't know who they are.

CaroLiza_fan

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Today I learned that the Russian surname Kuznetsov(a) comes from the word that means 'blacksmith'. So an Ivan Kuznetsov would be a literal Russian John Smith :laugh:

And for something completely different: my best friend Nicole messaged me yesterday she was 'having lunch with a guy from school', today she tells me she got herself a boyfriend. I'm ashamed to admit that I was green with envy. Like, I'm struggling to stomp down these crush-induced feelings, and there she is messaging me "It's a relationship" while I was watching Finlandia. I don't know which irritated me more, the fact that now I was the only one forever alone or that her message pop-up covered the skating :dance2:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Boyfriend watches Jason Brown's SP from last season: "Wow, he's really graceful. He must have a bunch of Olympic medals or something."

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Boyfriend watches Jason Brown's SP from last season: "Wow, he's really graceful. He must have a bunch of Olympic medals or something."

Sigh, Jason has only one. The rest of that discussion should probably be in The Edge. ;)

But I had a photo taken with Andrew Torgashev this summer and my sister asked , “so, is he going to the Olympics?”. It’s what the casual fan knows:biggrin:

Ducky

On the Ice
Sigh, Jason has only one. The rest of that discussion should probably be in The Edge. ;)

But I had a photo taken with Andrew Torgashev this summer and my sister asked , “so, is he going to the Olympics?”. It’s what the casual fan knows:biggrin:

I had a friend find it really amusing that I watch figure skating during "off season" and by that he meant anything not the Olympics.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

:)
It was similar for me when I told ppl at previous work about Piper & Paul, Vincent FD & the whole being inspired thing after IdF & sunflowers - they were, like, 'are they the best, do they win?' and some of them were confused why they are not (well, for me they are the best, but we know I have specific taste ;)). And some Poles are questioning why I am cheering for other nations' skaters - I tell then then that emotions about sport in general have no nationality for me:)

LaArdilla

Medalist
:)
It was similar for me when I told ppl at previous work about Piper & Paul, Vincent FD & the whole being inspired thing after IdF & sunflowers - they were, like, 'are they the best, do they win?' and some of them were confused why they are not (well, for me they are the best, but we know I have specific taste ;)). And some Poles are questioning why I am cheering for other nations' skaters - I tell then then that emotions about sport in general have no nationality for me:)
That's so weird of them to say - if we were to cheer for the Poles only, there wouldn't be much to cheer for at all! :laugh: ;)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
That's so weird of them to say - if we were to cheer for the Poles only, there wouldn't be much to cheer for at all! :laugh: ;)

Funny you should say that, because when I was catching up on the Hallowe'en Cup earlier, I noticed that there were 3 Poles amongst the 25 participants in one of the competitions. And I was impressed to see so many young Polish skaters coming through.

Mind you, they all finished in the bottom 6, so... :p

CaroLiza_fan

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
My crush is going to go off to España next week, so soon I won't be mortified at myself constantly anymore. So, it's a good thing. It totally is.

It's only a crush, not really love, but I am in disagreement with Lord Tennyson, 'tis not better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Not if you have to erase all memories of lost loves (not specifically romantic, mind you) and just live with dull aches from the missing spots. Not when you're not blessed with the soul of the poet and can't make any use of the pain.

Don't worry, I haven't reverted back. I do take my meds daily and I still stagger out of work every day. It's just that I'm tired and I don't have the energy to repress the melancholy piled up inside me.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I wish someone would have warned me that it's Hassle Hanyuufan5 Day. I think more (offline) people snapped at me for no good reason today than in the past year before. I will choose to be grateful for the lack of people snapping at me in the past year instead of stewing about today.

No grumpiness allowed within a 50-foot radius of me on days when Yuzu skates, people. :roll5:

Also... there is a skater with the same first name as one of my cats and the same last name as me. So, my cat's medical charts look like they have that skater's name on it. :laugh: They're so opposite in looks and personality, though...

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
My most recent dream featured like half of the skaters who skated at SC, it's fuzzy now but I think I was on the ice, without skates, being taught how to spin the sit spin Deniss Vasiljevs does by Julian Yee while also asking Zhenya Medvedeva if she and squirtle were friends now and explaining why Eunsoo is a squirtle. I also remember Yuzuru was eating a Pooh cake that looked exactly like the Pooh who got to be held in his hands after the FS. And I was trying to ask him where Junhwan was (never mind he wasn't at SC) while trying to do a camel spin. All on the ice, and I'm still the only one without skates. One bizarre dream it was.

Unrelated to my weird dreams: the English academy I slave away at has got the Halloween decorations up, and kids keep on asking when Halloween is and if Halloween is a holiday. Lydia, the Queen of Balderdash (aged recently 11), argued that "This is an English academy, so you should close for an English holiday." The look of disbelief when I told her that even in English-speaking countries (namely the US) Halloween is a school day got me seriously wondering why exactly was Halloween imported to this land and how in the world it stuck around. Like, as far as I know Korean Christians don't really celebrate All Saint's Day (or as I'm used to calling it, Toussaint). And Korean children don't do trick-or-treating. How did it stay a thing??

Speaking of the Queen of Balderdash, here are some monikers I gave to the kids. In most cases I just call them by those nicknames, e.g. Lydia walks in - "Bonjour, Your Balderdash Highness." They apparently don't care. Kids, the greatest sources of the mysteries of life.

- Pete, the Donkey (long story about movies, Pinocchio, and tweenage stubbornness short: the Blue Fairy needs to come and change him into a donkey ASAP but she's running late)
- Sean, the Bouncy Rubber Ball (Won't. Sit. Still.)
- Josh, the High Lord of Bull (same as Lydia, but he's smarter and does actually know he's acting like a 4-year-old. He just doesn't care.)
- Faye, the Changeling (I swear she's of the fair folk, she is utterly charming and utterly difficult at the same time)
- Jace, the Runaway (he's always trying to ditch his work and sneak off early)
- Lucia, the Little Lady (she'd always tell me "Just register me checked" as she came in, I started replying "Aye aye, m'lady" and it stuck)
- Ella, Lady of Conspiracies (she and her best friend Riley are always up to something, I always go and tell them their conspiracy is discovered)
- Emmett, the Uncle (told me an awful dad joke once, since he's not a dad I called him an uncle, it also stuck)
- Henry, the Jack-In-A-Box (popped out of nowhere and scared me to death once, keeps trying to do that again)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Funny you should say that, because when I was catching up on the Hallowe'en Cup earlier, I noticed that there were 3 Poles amongst the 25 participants in one of the competitions. And I was impressed to see so many young Polish skaters coming through.

Mind you, they all finished in the bottom 6, so... :p

CaroLiza_fan

No one told me there was a Hallowe'en Cup!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I was calling my friend on my cell phone before, and two seconds later, my home phone started ringing. I wondered if she were calling me at the exact same time by coincidence, but... I was calling me. I called my house instead of her. :laugh:

And speaking of Halloween, I was cleaning my closet before and found a very dated formal dress of my mom's that I swore I would wear to a Halloween party or some other costume party one day. It was big but not that big when I first tried it on at age 12, so I took it for granted that it would fit someday. Little did I know that Americans stopped growing taller on average than their parents in the 1970s. I'm loooooong finished growing, but the dress is still too big, because even though my mom and I have very similar body shapes, I'm 6 cm shorter. :palmf: Oh well, at least I can wear all that one-size-fits-all Japanese clothing that she can't. :p

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyway, just bummed that there haven't been any screening added for Parasite yet.
Just saw Parasite a few days ago and Pain & Glory too. I like foreign films so many times end up going by myself, since people have told me they don't like going to the movies and reading a movie! :drama: Or the films I like are too depressing or violent.