Random Confessions | Page 149 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My favorite mid-distance sled dog race finally announced that they are cancelling the race this season. I've known for months and had to keep it underwraps... and OMG I'm so sad about it being official now. Stupid no one wanting to take over Race Director duties. :cry:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LOLmg...this thread is still going 2 1/2 yrs later and it all started because I was watching legally blond one night and felt compelled to confess it :laugh2:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
LOLmg...this thread is still going 2 1/2 yrs later and it all started because I was watching legally blond one night and felt compelled to confess it :laugh2:

And we are so thankful for it. Because it has proved to be a very welcome place to get things off our chests.

Did you ever think it would reach 3,050 posts?! (Sorry, 3,051 now that this reply has been posted)

You know, that is why I get annoyed with the way that threads get archived. I can understand why from the bandwidth point of view. But there have been other threads here in Le Café that I have felt have had the potential to become as popular as this thread or the music thread, but have unfortunately appeared at the wrong time. For example, there was a film thread a few years ago that got archived quite quickly that I felt could have gone the same way as the music thread if it had been given the chance.

And then there are heartwarming threads (often started by you, actually) for which content only comes along once in a blue moon (which, in itself, says a lot about the world today). And because they get archived in the meantime, a new thread has to be started to a new bit of heartwarming news. To me, that's a shame.

Anyway, keep on posting about these non-skating things. Because they have really added to the forum, and really made us feel like we are part of a family.

CaroLiza_fan

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

Sam, it is definitely your legacy! :laugh:

More seriously - it gives me some kind of getaway feel to confess a bit about bits & bops in my life happening aside of watching/following skating. And it feels good to write it down sometimes, surroinded by community that helped me a lot:). It is also interesting to get to know ppl more based on these 'random confessions' ;).

I have no time to write here lately, but now, on the way to my weekly thrifting adventure, I realized that I am almost 3 months in new job. It flew so fast! And Nepela week is almost here - I was too lazy (as usually) & now I am buried in crafts to get them all on time:). But tbh it feels good to come back after work, sit with glue, scissors, all kinds of card paper, origami paper, crepe paper and create something. It really takes my mind off frustrating things.

Once I finish, I will post link to my Twitter account where I will post a thread with all these gifts:)

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Well, I started reading the full script of Much Ado About Nothing. Damn Shakespeare could write rom-coms. But the thing is, I had already started on The Woman in White. And after hearing that maman and her friends are going to a duo-drama (I don't know the exact terminology for it, it's a play done by two actors only, both portraying multiple characters) production of Pride and Prejudice I nabbed it from the bookshelf for a re-read. I should totally finish one work first, what is wrong with me :drama:

On an unrelated note, last-last Saturday (i.e. September 7th) my tutor student (who I mostly tutor English, but for exams I help out with other subjects too) said he needed help preparing for his Korean exam. But of course he had forgotten to bring his textbook from school. So we did English instead for that session, and since there was like 5 minutes left over I asked whether the test included poems (as a Korean lit major who understands how a mind of a math-y person works, simple summaries of poems could be done within that time). He said there was one, but he couldn't remember what poem it was. I pestered him a bit, and he said "It was written in the Colonial Period, but it's not about independence. It's a love poem." Well, that was unexpected, but I racked my brains and named a few examples of poetry that are famous enough to be in a 9th-grade textbook and met the criteria. He just shook his head and said he'll bring his textbook next week. And so I went home, the only thought in my head being 'What in the world can that poem be?'
Well, yesterday I went to his place for the promised session, and as I waited for him to come home (he had forgotten he wasn't free that evening and had went out) I spotted his Korean textbook. I thumbed through it to find out the mystery poem, and soon I burst out laughing. (I'm giggling again as I type.) See, the poem was, like, one of the most famous, if not the most famous Korean poem. And while it was written in the Colonial Period and about love, not independence, literally nobody describes it like that. To compare it to figure skating, he had described the Queen as "a single lady who competed in the 2010 Olympics, and she was from a country not known for figure skating." I mean, technically it's true, but :laugh2:
I tried not to giggle as I told him (when he did come) that I was not expecting to see the poem virtually every Korean, even the ones who aren't interested in literature, knows, and he scratched his head and said it did seem familiar when he first saw it. Man he's a piece of work :rofl:

Ducky

On the Ice
Well, I started reading the full script of Much Ado About Nothing. Damn Shakespeare could write rom-coms. But the thing is, I had already started on The Woman in White. And after hearing that maman and her friends are going to a duo-drama (I don't know the exact terminology for it, it's a play done by two actors only, both portraying multiple characters) production of Pride and Prejudice I nabbed it from the bookshelf for a re-read. I should totally finish one work first, what is wrong with me :drama:

On an unrelated note, last-last Saturday (i.e. September 7th) my tutor student (who I mostly tutor English, but for exams I help out with other subjects too) said he needed help preparing for his Korean exam. But of course he had forgotten to bring his textbook from school. So we did English instead for that session, and since there was like 5 minutes left over I asked whether the test included poems (as a Korean lit major who understands how a mind of a math-y person works, simple summaries of poems could be done within that time). He said there was one, but he couldn't remember what poem it was. I pestered him a bit, and he said "It was written in the Colonial Period, but it's not about independence. It's a love poem." Well, that was unexpected, but I racked my brains and named a few examples of poetry that are famous enough to be in a 9th-grade textbook and met the criteria. He just shook his head and said he'll bring his textbook next week. And so I went home, the only thought in my head being 'What in the world can that poem be?'
Well, yesterday I went to his place for the promised session, and as I waited for him to come home (he had forgotten he wasn't free that evening and had went out) I spotted his Korean textbook. I thumbed through it to find out the mystery poem, and soon I burst out laughing. (I'm giggling again as I type.) See, the poem was, like, one of the most famous, if not the most famous Korean poem. And while it was written in the Colonial Period and about love, not independence, literally nobody describes it like that. To compare it to figure skating, he had described the Queen as "a single lady who competed in the 2010 Olympics, and she was from a country not known for figure skating." I mean, technically it's true, but :laugh2:
I tried not to giggle as I told him (when he did come) that I was not expecting to see the poem virtually every Korean, even the ones who aren't interested in literature, knows, and he scratched his head and said it did seem familiar when he first saw it. Man he's a piece of work :rofl:

Have you watched either the Kenneth Branagh/ Emma Thompson or the Joss Whedon version of Much Ado?

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Have you watched either the Kenneth Branagh/ Emma Thompson or the Joss Whedon version of Much Ado?

Kenneth Branagh version, and I loved it. But it did feel weird seeing Keanu Reeves (who has not aged since then, maybe he really is a vampire :biggrin:) as Don John delivering his lines during back-massages :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

It wasn't "Arirang" by any chance?

I have never actually heard it recited as a poem, so I can't really comment on it in that format. But I have heard plenty of versions of it as a song, and I don't really like it as a song.

Don't get me wrong, I have heard and liked other traditional Korean songs. It is just happens that the most famous one of all is the particular one that I don't like.

That said, I did like the version that was used as the theme tune for the Pyeongchang Olympics. Hey, I even used that version on a video I made! (Well, the video was about something from those Olympics, so it seemed appropriate to use it).

I've never really wondered before what "Arirang" is actually about, but this conversation has now got me curious. So, I'll have to hunt down a translation.

CaroLiza_fan

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
It wasn't "Arirang" by any chance?

I have never actually heard it recited as a poem, so I can't really comment on it in that format. But I have heard plenty of versions of it as a song, and I don't really like it as a song.

Don't get me wrong, I have heard and liked other traditional Korean songs. It is just happens that the most famous one of all is the particular one that I don't like.

That said, I did like the version that was used as the theme tune for the Pyeongchang Olympics. Hey, I even used that version on a video I made! (Well, the video was about something from those Olympics, so it seemed appropriate to use it).

I've never really wondered before what "Arirang" is actually about, but this conversation has now got me curious. So, I'll have to hunt down a translation.

CaroLiza_fan

Well here's a Korean lit major happy to answer that :biggrin: No, it wasn't Arirang, and Arirang has always been a song. The word 'Arirang' itself actually refers to a type of folk song, therere are other Arirangs like Jeongsun Arirang or Milyang Arirang. But the most famous - and therefore often synonymous with just 'Arirang' - one is Gyeonggi Arirang, the Arirang that was sung by the people who lived close to Seoul. That's the one with a million versions (including the one used at the Olympics). There are a couple of verses, but the first verse goes:

아리랑 아리랑 아라리요 (no real meaning here, to transliterate it's 'arirang arirang arariyo')
아리랑 고개로 넘어간다 (Going over Arirang hill)
나를 버리고 가시는 님은 (the wording is so that it can be interpreted in two ways: 'my beloved one, who has abandoned me' or 'if my beloved one abandons me')
십리도 못 가서 발병난다 (again, it's either 'is struck ill, not going even 10 leagues' or 'will be struck ill before going more than 10 leagues')

And just in case ;) the poem in question was 진달래꽃 (Azaleas) by Kim Sowol.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well here's a Korean lit major happy to answer that :biggrin: No, it wasn't Arirang, and Arirang has always been a song. The word 'Arirang' itself actually refers to a type of folk song, there's other Arirangs like Jeongsun Arirang or Milyang Arirang. But the most famous - and therefore often synonymous with just 'Arirang' - one is Gyeonggi Arirang, the Arirang that was sung by the people who lived close to Seoul. That's the one with a million versions (including the one used at the Olympics). There are a couple of verses, but the first verse goes:

아리랑 아리랑 아라리요 (no real meaning here, to transliterate it's 'arirang arirang arariyo')
아리랑 고개로 넘어간다 (Going over Arirang hill)
나를 버리고 가시는 님은 (the wording is so that it can be interpreted in two ways: 'my beloved one, who has abandoned me' or 'if my beloved one abandons me')
십리도 못 가서 발병난다 (again, it's either 'is struck will, not going even 10 leagues' or 'will be struck ill before going more than 10 leagues')

And just in case ;) the poem in question was 진달래꽃 (Azaleas) by Kim Sowol.

Ah. Thank you so much Aisha. That was a very interesting post.

I never realised that the term "Arirang" referred to a type of song, rather than a particular song. And I am sure most other foreigners are in the same boat. But, you are correct, it is the Gyeonggi Arirang that I am familiar with (and probably the same for most people reading this).

Although, it does make me a bit disappointed that it is the Arirang from the capital region that is best known, rather than one from somewhere more, well, rural. But, that is probably because I am from a rural area, and get annoyed that when people think of Northern Ireland, they tend to think of things that are typical of our capital rather than things that are typical of the rest of the province.

Now I am going to set myself a mission to find the Arirang which is actually local to Pyeongchang! :biggrin:

Thank you for the translation! :thank:

And thank you for telling us what the poem you were talking about actually was. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
So I got a kitty that was living on the parking lot, and I named him Axel. :biggrin:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
So I got a kitty that was living on the parking lot, and I named him Axel. :biggrin:

What a wonderful name for a kitty! And thank you for taking him in!

Rescue cats are wonderful. I really think they understand that they've been rescued.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Please excuse the double post. I wanted to separate the positivity and negativity.

My random confession for the day is that I literally do not remember what my chest looks like without heat rash all over it. :sarcasm:

At least it's not the red, itchy kind. (knocks wood)

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States

Congratulations!! Cats are great company... I have three rescues: Rufus, Data, & Ninja... what color is Axel? Picture please! :luv17:

Note: apologies to Hanyufan... I sent this message to him/her in error then deleted it... I am overtired from lots of physical work today. .. :drama:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Congratulations and happy gotcha day to you and Axel:agree:

(Our cats, all rescues, are Appius, Aurelia, Locutula, Corvinus and Tacitus. Clearly not figure skaters;) )