Page 154 of 157 FirstFirst ... 54104144145146147148149150151152153154155156157 LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 3131

Thread: Random Confessions

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichatdelune View Post
    Well here's a Korean lit major happy to answer that No, it wasn't Arirang, and Arirang has always been a song. The word 'Arirang' itself actually refers to a type of folk song, there's other Arirangs like Jeongsun Arirang or Milyang Arirang. But the most famous - and therefore often synonymous with just 'Arirang' - one is Gyeonggi Arirang, the Arirang that was sung by the people who lived close to Seoul. That's the one with a million versions (including the one used at the Olympics). There are a couple of verses, but the first verse goes:

아리랑 아리랑 아라리요 (no real meaning here, to transliterate it's 'arirang arirang arariyo')
    아리랑 고개로 넘어간다 (Going over Arirang hill)
    나를 버리고 가시는 님은 (the wording is so that it can be interpreted in two ways: 'my beloved one, who has abandoned me' or 'if my beloved one abandons me')
    십리도 못 가서 발병난다 (again, it's either 'is struck will, not going even 10 leagues' or 'will be struck ill before going more than 10 leagues')

And just in case the poem in question was 진달래꽃 (Azaleas) by Kim Sowol.
    Ah. Thank you so much Aisha. That was a very interesting post.

I never realised that the term "Arirang" referred to a type of song, rather than a particular song. And I am sure most other foreigners are in the same boat. But, you are correct, it is the Gyeonggi Arirang that I am familiar with (and probably the same for most people reading this).

Although, it does make me a bit disappointed that it is the Arirang from the capital region that is best known, rather than one from somewhere more, well, rural. But, that is probably because I am from a rural area, and get annoyed that when people think of Northern Ireland, they tend to think of things that are typical of our capital rather than things that are typical of the rest of the province.

Now I am going to set myself a mission to find the Arirang which is actually local to Pyeongchang!

Thank you for the translation!

And thank you for telling us what the poem you were talking about actually was.

CaroLiza_fan

♛✿ Praise the ♥NOBLE-BORN♥ ♥HONEY-BEAR♥ ✿♛ Vandevska's Avatar

6 Not allowed!
    So I got a kitty that was living on the parking lot, and I named him Axel.

Medalist

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandevska View Post
    What a wonderful name for a kitty! And thank you for taking him in!

Rescue cats are wonderful. I really think they understand that they've been rescued.

Medalist

1 Not allowed!
    Please excuse the double post. I wanted to separate the positivity and negativity.

My random confession for the day is that I literally do not remember what my chest looks like without heat rash all over it.

At least it's not the red, itchy kind. (knocks wood)

2 Not allowed!
    Congratulations!! Cats are great company... I have three rescues: Rufus, Data, & Ninja... what color is Axel? Picture please!

Note: apologies to Hanyufan... I sent this message to him/her in error then deleted it... I am overtired from lots of physical work today. ..

Bona Fide Member

2 Not allowed!
    Every time I hear a new song, I want someone to skate to it.

(song here. Mai Mihara, maybe?)

Fangirl of men’s spirals and split jumps el henry's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Congratulations and happy gotcha day to you and Axel

(Our cats, all rescues, are Appius, Aurelia, Locutula, Corvinus and Tacitus. Clearly not figure skaters )

3 Not allowed!
    Welcome home, Axel!

Tripping on the Podium DenissVFan's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
    Great! Have you got any photos?

P.S. You can nickname it Trixel

1 Not allowed!
    I am literally exhausted. First year as a professor, new city, new home, everything is so exciting and I'm so grateful. But, the work load is so heavy, I haven't seen my family for 5 years, I haven't had a vacation for 10 years and sometimes it gets to me a bit. I will get through in a couple of hours but at the moment it is hitting me hard. Why do people share their birthday parties, mother days, father days,... on twitter? There are so many people in this world that for any reason being with family is an unaffordable luxury for them. Damn it, now I'm crying in my office first thing in the morning

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!
    Ah yes, congrats to Axel for her new VIP indoor life!

Quote Originally Posted by Farnaz View Post
    I am literally exhausted. First year as a professor, new city, new home, everything is so exciting and I'm so grateful. But, the work load is so heavy, I haven't seen my family for 5 years, I haven't had a vacation for 10 years and sometimes it gets to me a bit. I will get through in a couple of hours but at the moment it is hitting me hard. Why do people share their birthday parties, mother days, father days,... on twitter? There are so many people in this world that for any reason being with family is an unaffordable luxury for them. Damn it, now I'm crying in my office first thing in the morning
    First, real professorship and not adjunct h*ll? (I'm hoping you're tenure track.) Second, it's rough seeing people on social media who are blithely posting about something that you so desperately feel is being denied to you (for me right now it's engagements and weddings and my high school friends posting anniversary photos on facebook.) I know it's not much comfort from an internet person but I'm sending you good vibes.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    First, real professorship and not adjunct h*ll? (I'm hoping you're tenure track.) Second, it's rough seeing people on social media who are blithely posting about something that you so desperately feel is being denied to you (for me right now it's engagements and weddings and my high school friends posting anniversary photos on facebook.) I know it's not much comfort from an internet person but I'm sending you good vibes.
    Yes, I am a tenure track faculty and I'm so grateful for the opportunities that I have. And, I understand we can't have all the good things together so I will get through. Thank you for the good vibe, it definitely helps

GS given name - Beatrice

6 Not allowed!
    Currently in a bus heading towards Bratislava, as promised here's link to showcase my prepared gifts https://twitter.com/NoNameFace10/sta...622205440?s=19

0 Not allowed!
    I'm a biology student. For over a year now, I've been looking for labs where I can do research mandatory for graduation. Yesterday, I was sure I had the one. I loved every aspect of it, and I was so eager to start! Today, the professor mailed me to say she has accepted a position abroad and as such isn't in the position to take any students. I feel like crying, I was SO SURE it was finally happening, but I can't even let it get to me now, because I have to study for an exam tomorrow and I need high grades to be able to get a scholarship.
    Sometimes I really hate university. How come it can be so bad in what is widely recognized as Brazil's/Latin America's best university? Professors expect so much of us, only to fail us in a subject on a whim or they just don't botter answering emails. It really shows how much we're really worth to the institution.

Medalist

3 Not allowed!
    Of all the places in my house that my huge, long-haired, light-colored cat could choose to sleep, he just had to pick right on top of my black sweater.

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameFace View Post
    Currently in a bus heading towards Bratislava, as promised here's link to showcase my prepared gifts https://twitter.com/NoNameFace10/sta...622205440?s=19
    Your gifts are are so creative and lovely, Beatrice I’m almost more excited to see them (and you and Tabsy cheering with flags, hopefully ) than the competition itself!

2 Not allowed!
    ^^^ yes.. I remember them from last year...
    Have a wonderful time you two!!

GS given name - Beatrice

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heleng View Post
    Your gifts are are so creative and lovely, Beatrice I’m almost more excited to see them (and you and Tabsy cheering with flags, hopefully ) than the competition itself!
    Thanks so much for the support! I feel like this is my kind of way of saying them thank you for their skating I enjoy so much. And here's bonus gift I made in about 4 hrs during my drive to Bratislava yesterday - a flower crown Lorraine McNamara will get https://twitter.com/NoNameFace10/sta...023364096?s=19

On the Ice

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hanyuufan5 View Post
    Of all the places in my house that my huge, long-haired, light-colored cat could choose to sleep, he just had to pick right on top of my black sweater.
    Yes, that is the standard cat operating procedure.

GS given name - Beatrice

8 Not allowed!
    I want to thank you guys for all the support given over my trip to Nepela with gifts, it was such fantastic experience, to give back a bit of good skaters gave me

Sara was an absolute doll by bringing flower crown to the victory ceremony, she seemed so proud & happy to wear it, I couldn't be more happy! https://twitter.com/NoNameFace10/sta...396408320?s=19

Page 154 of 157 FirstFirst ... 54104144145146147148149150151152153154155156157 LastLast