Page 134 of 134 FirstFirst ... 34 84 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134
Results 2,661 to 2,671 of 2671

Thread: Random Confessions

Cheering on House Holbová of Páfos in Cup Of Tyrol CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hanyuufan5 View Post
    I just realized that Team Japan has a Hanyu, a Rika, and a Satoko. Now it just needs a Mion, a Shion, and a Keiichi, and it's got the whole Higurashi no Naku Koro ni gang...
    Never seen it, but you got me curious as to whether we could complete the gang. So I did a search for those names. And I could only get matches for one of them:

Shion KAMADA (ISU Bio, Rink Results Bio, Stats On Ice Bio, Tracings Bio)
    Shion KOKUBUN (ISU Bio, Rink Results Bio, Stats On Ice Bio, Tracings Bio)

Interesting that one of them is a Men's Singles skater and the other is a Ladies Singles skater. Didn't realise that "Shion" was a unisex name.

Quote Originally Posted by invisiblespiral View Post
    And a Rena.
    Found a few of them too! All girls, but none of them have ISU Bios:

Rena HARADA (Rink Results Bio, Stats On Ice Bio, Tracings Bio)
    Rena NAKANISHI (Rink Results Bio, Stats On Ice Bio)
    Rena OZAWA (Rink Results Bio, Stats On Ice Bio)
    Rena SUZUKI (Rink Results Bio, Stats On Ice Bio)
    Rena YAMANAKA (Rink Results Bio, Stats On Ice Bio)

Are we allowing Rena Inoue? Because she skated for her native Japan before switching to the USA when she teamed up with future husband John Baldwin:

Rena INOUE (ISU Bio, Stats On Ice Bio)

And here is a Singles skater that made the same switch in countries last season:

Rena IKENISHI (Rink Results Bio, Stats On Ice Bio, Tracings Bio)

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Bona Fide Member

2 Not allowed!
    I think my little sister and Alysa Liu are about the same age.

Long live the Queen and her successors Ichatdelune's Avatar

5 Not allowed!
    *Rant alert

I'm currently reading Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli because my current favourite student (I still like Julie, but during the turbulent period of me being on the brink of getting sacked, um... let's just say I needed support from students and she wasn't one of the ones who showed that support) is going get it for her next book (=learning material) and I can't be the one to teach her if I haven't read it. I'm on chapter 26 so far, and I (bleep) HATE it.

I'm an individualist to the core and I was never a conformist (one of the reasons I had issues during my high school years, but I digress), and I can very much say that this book irks me like no other. Like, I get the message and kudos for actually provoking me enough to be infuriated, but I'm suffering here. I don't know, maybe it's that my culture is different from the US, maybe it's that I was in 10th grade more than a decade after this book was published and things have changed, but I just can't with the in-your-face tone of it all and the character of Stargirl. Telling teenagers to be yourself and care for others is one thing, presenting a hippie maniac pixie dream girl as the ideal person is another. And please, how the everloving (bleep) am I supposed to root for a character that sings to a total stranger Happy Birthday in the cafeteria? If that happened to me, I'd run away or smash that ukulele because I'd be mortified to insanity. That is just being inconsiderate, period. No matter how I see it she's just an extremity, an idea roughly shoved into a human form to be represented in the story (which is pretty weak if you take out the message). I see the reasoning from the author's point of view, but that makes me more pissed because as an (aspiring) one I hate how heavy-handed everything is. That's just assuming the reader is dense and stupid, something no author should do. I have a million other gripes with the book, but it all boils down to this: this book is black-and-white 'be free from the crowd or you're not living properly' while also preaching 'you are okay however you are'. It conveys conflicting themes and thereby creates a massive dissonance. And it's like rubbing wet styrofoam together to both my literary senses and my beliefs, it's (bleep) awful.

I am going to get through this because I am determined to be of the best service to Min (I'm going to call her that here), but damnit she's too clear-headed and intelligent for this. If I had enough time with her I could've gotten a well-developed argument on euthanasia and hope against the odds and so on out of her last week (she was given Sadako and the thousand paper cranes), she could do so much with better books. The things she could get if she got To Kill A Mockingbid... Aaaargh never have I hated the fact that I don't have authority over the curriculum this much, oh well here's hoping Min can get something out of this book and not suffer like I'm suffering right now...

3 Not allowed!
    Gee, this sounds so awful you've made me want to read it! Personally, I think I'd prefer To Kill a Mockingbird.

。*:.*'<3

3 Not allowed!
    I just looked at the Wikipedia article for Stargirl, and it literally sounds like something I would have written into a satirical story about how I hated almost everything they made us read in school. America has incredibly messed up views about nonconformity, and Stargirl sounds like it just... distills and concentrates all of them into one book. I apologize on behalf of my entire nation that innocent Koreans have to be subjected to our cultural baggage.

Can you tell the administrators that you think it sends a destructive message and try to get it substituted for something else? If you want me to give them my unfortunate experience with a classmate who was a lot like Stargirl and how that kind of black-and-white, ham-fisted message messes up kids, PM me.

Now I'm worried about that classmate and too scared to look her up and find out if... bad things happened. Ugh.

EDIT: Whew, I found a news article that mentioned her, and she appears to be okay or at the very least has a good job.

6 Not allowed!
    2 weeks till Iditarod, which basically means 3 weeks till my trip to Nome. I am not physically ready, but I am SO READY for a break from my regular routine/work/home life lol Bring on the doggies!

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hanyuufan5 View Post
    I just looked at the Wikipedia article for Stargirl, and it literally sounds like something I would have written into a satirical story about how I hated almost everything they made us read in school. America has incredibly messed up views about nonconformity, and Stargirl sounds like it just... distills and concentrates all of them into one book. I apologize on behalf of my entire nation that innocent Koreans have to be subjected to our cultural baggage.

Can you tell the administrators that you think it sends a destructive message and try to get it substituted for something else? If you want me to give them my unfortunate experience with a classmate who was a lot like Stargirl and how that kind of black-and-white, ham-fisted message messes up kids, PM me.

Now I'm worried about that classmate and too scared to look her up and find out if... bad things happened. Ugh.

EDIT: Whew, I found a news article that mentioned her, and she appears to be okay or at the very least has a good job.
    I just got off supervision so I don't think I can risk something like (gasp) suggesting that there is a problem with the plan, so my poor Min will have to read that (bleep)... I somehow managed to finish it, and I still have no idea why that book was so highly received in the US. Like, did the critics just decide to ignore the whole ham-fisted-ness of everything and just praise the (conflicting, but whatever) message? Gaaah if only she could get To Kill A Mockingbird or The Giver or Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth... (deep sigh)

I'm glad to hear your classmate is doing well (or at least, it seems that way).

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    2 weeks till Iditarod, which basically means 3 weeks till my trip to Nome. I am not physically ready, but I am SO READY for a break from my regular routine/work/home life lol Bring on the doggies!
    Toni have a wonderful time!!!!! Can't wait to hear about it!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Maybe the snow conditions be just right for Iditarod!

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichatdelune View Post
    *Rant alert

I'm currently reading Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli because my current favourite student (I still like Julie, but during the turbulent period of me being on the brink of getting sacked, um... let's just say I needed support from students and she wasn't one of the ones who showed that support) is going get it for her next book (=learning material) and I can't be the one to teach her if I haven't read it. I'm on chapter 26 so far, and I (bleep) HATE it.

I'm an individualist to the core and I was never a conformist (one of the reasons I had issues during my high school years, but I digress), and I can very much say that this book irks me like no other. Like, I get the message and kudos for actually provoking me enough to be infuriated, but I'm suffering here. I don't know, maybe it's that my culture is different from the US, maybe it's that I was in 10th grade more than a decade after this book was published and things have changed, but I just can't with the in-your-face tone of it all and the character of Stargirl. Telling teenagers to be yourself and care for others is one thing, presenting a hippie maniac pixie dream girl as the ideal person is another. And please, how the everloving (bleep) am I supposed to root for a character that sings to a total stranger Happy Birthday in the cafeteria? If that happened to me, I'd run away or smash that ukulele because I'd be mortified to insanity. That is just being inconsiderate, period. No matter how I see it she's just an extremity, an idea roughly shoved into a human form to be represented in the story (which is pretty weak if you take out the message). I see the reasoning from the author's point of view, but that makes me more pissed because as an (aspiring) one I hate how heavy-handed everything is. That's just assuming the reader is dense and stupid, something no author should do. I have a million other gripes with the book, but it all boils down to this: this book is black-and-white 'be free from the crowd or you're not living properly' while also preaching 'you are okay however you are'. It conveys conflicting themes and thereby creates a massive dissonance. And it's like rubbing wet styrofoam together to both my literary senses and my beliefs, it's (bleep) awful.

I am going to get through this because I am determined to be of the best service to Min (I'm going to call her that here), but damnit she's too clear-headed and intelligent for this. If I had enough time with her I could've gotten a well-developed argument on euthanasia and hope against the odds and so on out of her last week (she was given Sadako and the thousand paper cranes), she could do so much with better books. The things she could get if she got To Kill A Mockingbid... Aaaargh never have I hated the fact that I don't have authority over the curriculum this much, oh well here's hoping Min can get something out of this book and not suffer like I'm suffering right now...
    YA tends to be rather black and white because the intended audience are teenagers who are idealistic/extremist who still see things in OR and than AND and are are trying to find an identity. Like the IT book I couldn't get through this year was CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE which should have been so up my alley but it was so f*ing YA with the romance and the plot lines that I stopped reading halfway through. And I realized it was not a book intended for me.

But, Ichatdelune, if you're trying to get published, feel free to DM me. I used to work at a literary agency and publishing house and can offer some advice.

1 Not allowed!
    PSA: Don't be both a figure skating fan and a rhythmic gymnastics fan, you have to listen to quadruple times the amount of warhorse songs and worse (usually with awful cuts)

Yup, I am on this unlucky path (tries to yell at past self), and in the new RG season there is a Carmen, a Moonlight Sonata, a POTO, a Never Enough (with some really bad cuts), a Pirates of the Carribean, and believe it or not, an In This Shirt routine among others. I have high tolerance for classical pieces (minus the terrible cuts), but I did a double take when the "I am lost" breathy opening of In This Shirt started playing. I don't want to start hating that song, help

The competition is still on, and as I type a hummed version of Uptown Funk comes out for a second time. Oh well, so far no La La Land... (Last season a top gymnast had one, although the routine was actually pretty good and the gymnast did it well that didn't make it not La La Land... No City of Stars though, thank heavens)
    Last edited by Ichatdelune; Today at 07:46 AM. Reason: It's not too late let Sasha go back to Shostakovich damnit

Page 134 of 134 FirstFirst ... 34 84 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134