Random Confessions | Page 132 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Guess who did 100 minutes overtime today with a barely recovered sore throat and lingering coughs :dance2:

Ms. Annie, the other regular teacher (the manager being the first), is apparently quitting soon, and they haven't found a substitute yet. Ms. Annie isn't going to teach because she needs to clear out her desk and ready things for her future substitute, the manager only has time for a few students because she's the manager who has to talk to parents and report to the boss, and the new other part-time teacher is just on her second week of work. I spent the weekend coughing up my lungs and have just regained the usage of my cognitive abilities and a human-sounding voice (sort of, I still sound hoarse), but someone has to check those kids.

I didn't have time for a single bathroom break. Hell, I didn't have even time to drink more than half of my green tea. The manager was apologetic when I finally got to head home, but the problem that the academy is seriously understaffed still remains. Please hire the sub quickly as you can or I'm going to have to use sick leave before WC :dance2:

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Today I found out that my mother is on a group chat that includes Rio Ferdinand. Does it get any more bizarre than that?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A mountain of ironing is looking at me. I don't want to do it.

When I travel, I take a small spray bottle with me, hang stuff in the bathroom and spray it. The wrinkles just seem to kind of disappear. Comes in handy, especially for all those stellar (?) clothes I take to skating competitions. :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I only remembered yesterday that I am going to a concert tonight! :drama: :slink:

A performance of Beethoven's Symphony No. 7 by the Ulster Orchestra at the local theatre (literally 500 yards from where I live)

The irony is that I have been looking forward to it for months, but with my mind pre-occupied with all the Major Championships that are going on in wintersports at the moment, I completely forgot about it in recent weeks!

And a second confession.

I've mentioned a few times on here that in the past, I love flags. So, a few years ago decided to start buying some. The first one I bought (a colonial Hong Kong flag) was from an actual flag shop in Edinburgh when I was over at the Edinbugh Tattoo back in 2007. And the rest were bought online. But, I soon stopped, because I discovered that you just don't know what you are getting when you buy something online. I found the quality varied greatly, and didn't correllate to the price. So, I decided that in future I would only buy from an actual shop, where you can see and feel what you are buying.

All the flags I have bought have been 5ft by 3ft. But from talking to NoNameFace about going to competitions at the start of the season, I realised that the smaller 3ft x 2ft flags would be better for indoor events.

And a few weeks ago, I discovered that an online flag shop is actually based somewhere that I will be at in June. So, if they have a physical shop as well, that would be perfect!

So, I started making out a shopping list of flags I like, and flags I would need to support everybody I like.

I gave up when the list passed the 50 flag mark...!!! :p :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
^ I am waiting for my bonus at work to arrive next week as I plan to order at least 5 more flags to my collection before next season, South Korean, British, Australian and Mexican for sure!!!:laugh:

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I had a bizarre skating dream last night that included Delilah Sappenfield in a 80's style skating dress showing the Knerims how to skate on thier heads. During this dream I wondered how they got back with her and I didn't hear about it.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Here to rant about the academy's situation. Today was Ms. Annie's final day, she took all her stuff and all. And so, does that mean they hired a new regular teacher? The answer is, yes and no.

So finding and hiring a new regular employee is more difficult than just elevating one of the part-timers and hiring a new part-timer. And so they found a new part-timer, now time to elevate one of the two part timers: me, not graduated from college yet, or Ms. Kim, on her second week. Obviously I can't be elevated because I'm not out of college, but they can't make a new teacher completely take over all the work Ms. Annie was doing for like 3 years. So their solution? Elevate Ms. Kim, and give like 80% of Ms. Annie's former tasks to me! :dance2:

I'm fine with pushing back my work schedule an hour, why not. I can make the news story worksheets Ms. Annie was in charge of, more work isn't happy news but it's only to be made once a month. But for me to a)take attendence if the manager isn't there b)fix the internet/mp3 players issues c)place the books back when kids leave d)inform the manager of schedule changes e)tell the new part-time teacher and Ms. Kim how things are to be done when the manager happens to be on lunch break ON TOP OF my regular duties... At least give me a raise or something, yes I may be young and not with a college diploma but I also happen to be the best English speaker in the place now that Ms. Annie is gone :dbana:

A month ago I was on the brink of being fired, now I'm somehow indispensible. It's (bleep) weird.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
It's a miracle that my wall doesn't get a new fist-hole after every ladies medal ceremony, and an even bigger one that it has none at all.

Why? People's comments about the Eteri girls' weights. All the women and half the men on my Russian side were that tiny at their ages. One of my aunts never got much bigger than Sasha, and I'm in my 30s and could body-double for Alina Zagitova. Could some of them have eating problems? Maybe. Are there millions of super-skinny Russians and ethnic Russians that no one on this forum ever sees because they aren't famous? YES.

Okay, rant over, I have a bowl of pasta with parmesan waiting for me. But according to many here, I'm probably just going to stare at it longingly and not eat it. :rolleye:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I highly doubt that anyone on a skating forum, of all places, is saying that some persons are not genetically smaller than average.:laugh: Of course some are. Some are larger than average. Some are average.

The concern is, whether any young lady, of whatever build, is being taught proper eating habits, proper nutrition, and being monitored for such. And that concern, at least from what I read, is based on what Eteri herself and some of her skaters have *said*, not how they look.

IMO, it would be a mistake to dismiss the criticism as "oh they just don't understand genetic make-ups".

But enjoy your pasta:agree:

hanyuufan5

Medalist
More than a few people seem to be implying that being that much genetically smaller than average is not healthy/natural/whatever. I know from a ton of personal experience that it absolutely can be. Dismissing all of the criticism that way might be a mistake, but I really wonder how many Russian teenage girls the people who say things like "they look like they live on air and sunshine" have actually met in person. (Yes, the posts I mean mentioned looks, not nutrition or health.) I can at least be reasonably sure that they've never spent any significant amount of time with Eteri and her skaters.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree that no one should ever be dismissed for genetic qualities:noshake:

I have never spent one day with Eteri or her skaters. I have read quotes from Eteri and her skaters about eating, nutrition, and related matters that concern me greatly. That might lead me to say, I hope they are not living on air. :shrug: But I don’t follow them enough to know if it’s true, as someone who barely knows junior ladies’ names, I actually don’t really care that much about Eteri or her skaters.:biggrin:

But I don’t think Le Café is the place to discuss this, in any event.

Pasta and Parmesan on the other hand:yes:

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Here's a pretty random confession, then.

The first meal I ever cooked for myself was pasta and parmesan.

A couple of decades later, I still love it.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's a pretty random confession, then.

The first meal I ever cooked for myself was pasta and parmesan.

A couple of decades later, I still love it.

I can’t even remember the first meal I cooked.

But I cooked myself a grilled cheese sandwich every.single.day for lunch my freshman year in college

More than 40 years later, I still love grilled cheese. But I almost never make it :shrug:

hanyuufan5

Medalist
I can’t even remember the first meal I cooked.

But I cooked myself a grilled cheese sandwich every.single.day for lunch my freshman year in college

More than 40 years later, I still love grilled cheese. But I almost never make it :shrug:

It's probably good that you don't remember. The reason I do is because the story of why I started cooking for myself involved a nosy, bossy relative telling my mom I'm too old for her to cook for me. She cut me off cold turkey (no pun intended). I was 12 and had never expressed the slightest interest in cooking. :palmf: So, the meal stuck with me.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Metabolism varies widely from one person to the next plus, given the activity level of elite skaters, carbs of any sort barely make a dent in their weight pattern, they burn the calories so fast... I adore pasta and parm but it's a rare treat for me... if I ate it regularly, I would be the size of a house!! This is normal at my advanced age even though I am lucky enough to be more active than most my age, knock wood,... it's all relative.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
More than a few people seem to be implying that being that much genetically smaller than average is not healthy/natural/whatever. I know from a ton of personal experience that it absolutely can be. Dismissing all of the criticism that way might be a mistake, but I really wonder how many Russian teenage girls the people who say things like "they look like they live on air and sunshine" have actually met in person. (Yes, the posts I mean mentioned looks, not nutrition or health.) I can at least be reasonably sure that they've never spent any significant amount of time with Eteri and her skaters.

As a small person myself, I hate all the talks about the girls bodies. Also, it's really sexist (both from female and male forum users), because I don't see the boys bodies being discussed in the same way... :sarcasm:

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Wha... what...? I was watching part of a competition from several years ago, and lo and behold, there was Boyang Jin! I though he'd be too young to be a senior already back then, but... he's 21!? What!? Why did I think he was like 17? :laugh:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As a small person myself, I hate all the talks about the girls bodies. Also, it's really sexist (both from female and male forum users), because I don't see the boys bodies being discussed in the same way... :sarcasm:

As someone who cares far more about the men than the ladies, I can assure you that such talk happens about the boys.

Again, if someone just straight out says “too small” without an explanation:(

If someone says I read that Eteri thinks it’s a good idea to live on diet shakes, and I wonder if that’s why her girls are so small, no one should take that as an insult to persons of smaller genetic builds. It’s talking about healthy nutrition.

I am NOT here to say whether Eteri said that or not, it’s not really for Le Café, but trying to explain why posters should feel OK about other posters :biggrin:

And eat pasta when we can;)

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
As someone who cares far more about the men than the ladies, I can assure you that such talk happens about the boys.

Again, if someone just straight out says “too small” without an explanation:(

If someone says I read that Eteri thinks it’s a good idea to live on diet shakes, and I wonder if that’s why her girls are so small, no one should take that as an insult to persons of smaller genetic builds. It’s talking about healthy nutrition.

I am NOT here to say whether Eteri said that or not, it’s not really for Le Café, but trying to explain why posters should feel OK about other posters :biggrin:

And eat pasta when we can;)

The boys are discussed far less than girls :p About proper nutrition, I doubt most adults eat the way that is helathy nutrition. But I do understand that sometimes we read controversial things in interviews. And that's okay to discuss, but just saying that someone is too small, too thin etc. is not.

Also, I love pasta :luv17:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
So... I got invited for a job interview where I applied. On Wednesday. Which is my bday. Life has its weird ways:laugh: