Random Confessions | Page 135 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
On 12:30 pm today, I was settling down to breakfast (yup, I wake up at noon), and I was chewing my granola yogurt when I suddenly got a call from an unknown number. Turns out it's the manager, I'm apparently needed at 1 and am I coming. I am of course utterly confused to be summoned two hours earlier than schedule with a mouthful of cashew nuts and yogurt, but I still rush to the academy leaving my half-eaten breakfast behind. According to the manager the boss told me to come early for Wednesdays (with the new schedules for March, Wednesday is the rush day) last week, but I swear upon the Queen's holy tears that I have no memory of it nor had I written anything down (and I keep notes to keep track of the kids, I must have written that down if I was told that). And so I worked with half a breakfast and no lunch in me, surviving on gummy worms I keep underneath my desk to give to my darlings. I so deserve a raise (sigh)

Also, it seems things didn't work out with Ms. Rose because there was another new part-timer on her tryout. Which means more work for me, whee :dance2: I do hope they'll find a suitable one soon, with the boss off to do business stuff, if the manager's talking with a parent or something I'm the one who has to deal with everything. And some kids refuse to be placated by candy. And I am actually terrible with kids by nature. And the place is understaffed. Yay.

One last thing, the newly hired Ms. Natasha (who is kinda not that fluent, unfortunately) was talking with a kid, and she asked him to guess what language her name comes from. His answer? "Mexico."

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, so yesterday I was watching a live broadcast from a Korean girl who lives in America. (I don't know where she was born, but it doesnt really matter for this story). She was eating some sort of rice meal at the time that she was broadcasting, and was using chopsticks.

I admit that I was totally in awe of her stickwork. I have never actually tried using chopsticks, but I have seen plenty of people try and fail miserably. And to me, she looked the absolute master of them.

But then she totally floors me by coming out with the following speak:

"I have a really weird way of using chopsticks. And I hate eating out in Asian restaurants, because when the staff see the way I use the chopsticks, they come over and ask 'Would you prefer to have a fork?'"

And I was like "WHAT?! :jaw: Firstly, if that's a weird way to use chopsticks, I would like to see the way they are supposed to be used. Because I thought your chopstick skills were amazing! :bow: :bow: :bow: And secondly, how patronising is that?!"

So, does anybody have any interesting / funny stories about their experiences with chopsticks?

EDIT: Gaah!!! I pressed the "Reply" button below my post from this morning instead of the "Edit" button!!! :bang:

EDIT 2: I don't actually mind now, because I see that it has made my post count into a palindrome - "11,911" :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
According to my mom, I use chopsticks improperly because I don't hold them the right way, but that's the only way I can hold them to actually pick anything up.

Also I was showing my friend some S/H videos, and she said they should get married. :popcorn:

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Not interesting or funny but in the spirit of confession will just tell anyway :). For years I've loved using chopsticks despite not being particularly dextrous - it's fun and the bites of food are more interesting & taste better because I'm paying attention. I live alone so can prepare most recipes for eating with sticks. Eating with sticks, for me it's always had a small real magic. I have plain wooden ones for every day and also, feel free to judge, several pairs with laminated pictures of Totoro and Jiji on the handles. I've never used the long pointy metal ones & frankly they look lethal, a real danger to the eyes and noses of unskillful eaters. ---Congratulations on the palindrome!

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I use chopsticks in the 'wrong' way too, when I was 5 mom bought me kiddie chopsticks that had rubber rings to put fingers in to 'fix' my chopsticks usage. I failed, but I don't care because I can eat just fine, who cares if my chopsticks get crossed while picking up something :p

Oh, by the way, the 'proper' way to use chopsticks (in Korea at least) is like this, and I use them like this

Edit: Completely unrelated to chopsticks, but posting two posts in a row here feels weird.

I used to get drawing lessons because, well, I can't draw for my life, and the tutor and I became good friends through the 6 years I failed at getting better with using my hands. We still keep in touch, last year I helped her get through her mandatory English course in grad school, and since she has been asking me for help on English translations or proofreading her writings (in Korean). I'm only glad to help, after all she's how I got my only A in art class when I was in 8th grade.

Last week, she asked me to proofread her artist statement for her exhibition (done as a denouement for her first year of grad school), and I willingly obliged. Well, it turns out that she picked a motif that doesn't really match her theme, so I carefully mention that to her and give my reasoning. She's like "You're right, any ideas on what should I do?" I start throwing ideas, but then something clicks in my head and I'm like "Hot damn, this is totally the thing!!" at her. I explain how this idea fits her theme to a t, and she's like "OMG it totally does, I'm going off to rewrite the thing." So I became the chief consultant of that exhibition :laugh:, I proofread/edited her artist statement, I threw out name ideas for her works (and she used most of them), and last of all I suggested the title of the exhibition. The exhibition opened today, she sent me photos and I'm kinda proud of myself. I'm going to see it this Sunday, and she's buying me dinner in celebration :hap85:

Last edited:

Ducky

On the Ice
I have this, well, thing with this guy. It’s complicated. But anyway his birthday is coming up and I’m not going to see him until after it’s passed and it feels really important to me to be able to wish him a happy birthday. But he’s not on facebook and I don’t have his phone number. The only way to talk to him is by being in the same place at the same time.

He works at a local café just outside of my neighborhood (we’ve talked about his job so it’s not like I was google stalking him) so theoretically I could find an excuse to wander over there but it just feels risky because it’s outside of the place we normally meet up.

(The lesson here is do not strive to be a real life manic pixie dream girl.)

Anyway.

The facilities manager where I’m temping just scared the daylights out of me when he asked if it was my last day… because I was under the impression they were going to hire me. It turns out they are but I need to move to a different desk.

@NoNameFace: Good luck! Handing in resignations can be nerve racking. Here’s hoping that your employer is the kind to make the next two weeks easy (and that you leave with a celebration and onto better things).

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Today I am handling my resignation at work. Nervous, but ready.

Soooo...it was quite unpleasant to say at least. The way my Team Leader behaved really showed me why I want this change to happen and I really don't believe the company would be happy to hear such person is supposed to represent its values. Basically I was informed in presumptuous tone that 'it is a HUGE risk to change a job' (as I did not know that yet...) and 'it is not certain if next employer will be as GREAT as present one' (um, I did not yet started work there yet?!). The overall attitude and tone was just bad...I am thrown off about this...

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
Soooo...it was quite unpleasant to say at least. The way my Team Leader behaved really showed me why I want this change to happen and I really don't believe the company would be happy to hear such person is supposed to represent its values. Basically I was informed in presumptuous tone that 'it is a HUGE risk to change a job' (as I did not know that yet...) and 'it is not certain if next employer will be as GREAT as present one' (um, I did not yet started work there yet?!). The overall attitude and tone was just bad...I am thrown off about this...

Oh, I'm glad you have survived :) Termination talks are very stressful even if you love your job, but are forced to quit it due to personal reasons. I was in such a situation twice and both times the moment I communicated my intention to leave the company left me emotionally exhausted.

As regards your Team Leader, that's a perfect example which would justify the need to train managers in handling this type of conversations.

I don't know if you have already found a new job, but I wish you better luck in the new place. And let's hope it will be not only as GREAT as the previous one, but even better.

Ducky

On the Ice

Ugh, the worst. But at least it's over with and perhaps your Team Leader will treat you better once they get over this shock. And if not, well, you only have a few more days to survive your current job. Here's to bigger and better things!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Hopefully whoever takes your previous position gets a little more respect because of your action. Good for you and hopefully your supervisor (sounds like bit of a turd) gains perspective. You’ll be fine. People who try to crap on you like that usually don’t have your best interest in mind. Sounds like the team leader might be the one afraid of change and is projecting himself a bit here. Forget them!!

Good luck moving forward. Every time I get that nervous feeling in my gut when making drastic changes are usually some of the best moves I’ve ever made. I don’t know you personally but if you IRL character matches your GS persona people are going to love working with you. No matter where you go.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Beatrice, I'm glad you got through it. Hoping your last days @ your current job as as stress free as possible. On to new & better things!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Oh, I'm glad you have survived :) Termination talks are very stressful even if you love your job, but are forced to quit it due to personal reasons. I was in such a situation twice and both times the moment I communicated my intention to leave the company left me emotionally exhausted.

As regards your Team Leader, that's a perfect example which would justify the need to train managers in handling this type of conversations.

I don't know if you have already found a new job, but I wish you better luck in the new place. And let's hope it will be not only as GREAT as the previous one, but even better.

Thanks so much for these words and I am sorry you had to get thought this hard thing too. I agree a lot about lack of training of managers regarding these kind of difficult situations - my TL is my age/1-2 years older and clearly quite immature. While I can understand his more 'carefree'/chill demeanour as a personality, I can't really accept being so unprofessional in handling pretty delicate and tough things like resignation letter talk. I could tell A LOT of things that I found painful, unprofessional, straight up unjustified for me, but I at least want to maintain professional respect in terms of organizational grade. Someone has to be an adult there;). And yes, I have already a new job lined up:)

Ugh, the worst. But at least it's over with and perhaps your Team Leader will treat you better once they get over this shock. And if not, well, you only have a few more days to survive your current job. Here's to bigger and better things!

Thanks a lot! Not so fast in Poland hehehe:laugh, I am bound by 3-monts leave period...Good thing is that I am quite good at my work and like doing it, people and their attitudes be ignored:). I am already set for this change, new challenges and getting that much needed coin for FS season and travelling!:cheer:

Hopefully whoever takes your previous position gets a little more respect because of your action. Good for you and hopefully your supervisor (sounds like bit of a turd) gains perspective. You’ll be fine. People who try to crap on you like that usually don’t have your best interest in mind. Sounds like the team leader might be the one afraid of change and is projecting himself a bit here. Forget them!!

Good luck moving forward. Every time I get that nervous feeling in my gut when making drastic changes are usually some of the best moves I’ve ever made. I don’t know you personally but if you IRL character matches your GS persona people are going to love working with you. No matter where you go.

Sam, this is such a nice thing to say and really lifted me up! The problem at my current workplace/department (because I believe it is not an universal issue in every dep in my company) is that a group of people being friends, having this private kind of relationship aside of professional ties, are in management positions, not really caring much of people who are not in line with their 'management style', attitude as people: loud, cheery, obnoxious even, in-your-face; I am an example of more 'timid'/quiet type of employee that focuses on professional demeanour towards everyone, regardless of my personal thoughts over these people. I am also not a person who is constantly going after managers to get something, begging/giving ultimatums - I always underline my readiness to get something new, to challenge myself, but apparently me being not so 'socially visible' makes me invisible professionally there:). And I am fully aware that my demeanour can be not liked, I just wished for more understanding and evenness regarding employees.

GS persona is definitely me being fully me, with lack of that reserve I sometimes feel towards other people, being quite self-conscious over my appearance in particular. GS and people 'met' there, their support in a lot of things (especially in 2018) made me more courageous and open for challenges/opportunities, so this change and doing this is also because of you all:)

Beatrice, I'm glad you got through it. Hoping your last days @ your current job as as stress free as possible. On to new & better things!

Beatrice is glad as well:laugh: and Beatrice already thinks ahead, being ready and excited for new things coming from July:)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I feel lazy because after protesting in support of the Macquarie Ice Rink in Australia I haven't actually gone there to skate in almost a month! :(

I couldn't go last week because I was sick, and I meant to go today, but it didn't wake up until after 11am and my place is a mess from moving, but I probably could have made the effort :p

Oh well, at least I'm watching the SBS highlights for Worlds in crisp HD so I don't feel like I'm totally letting the ice skating world down. :laugh:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Aisha, congratulations about the exhibit!

Beatrice, congratulations on moving forward with your career, and good luck in your next job!

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Aaaaaand, sorry for double-posting, but I wanted this to be separate from the happy post above.

...Ugh, there is this one local skater whose program music I utterly loathe. This skater deserves so much better. I'm not sure what anyone was thinking with that choice. I just hope that it doesn't hold him/her back.

And the worst part for me? I woke up with it stuck in my head. :hslap:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Aaaaaand, sorry for double-posting, but I wanted this to be separate from the happy post above.

...Ugh, there is this one local skater whose program music I utterly loathe. This skater deserves so much better. I'm not sure what anyone was thinking with that choice. I just hope that it doesn't hold him/her back.

And the worst part for me? I woke up with it stuck in my head. :hslap:

Is it...Candyman? ;)

In all seriousness though, do they enjoy the music? I always wonder if a skater truly would skate to music they hated if their coach and/or choreographers were really behind the choice.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Is it...Candyman? ;)

In all seriousness though, do they enjoy the music? I always wonder if a skater truly would skate to music they hated if their coach and/or choreographers were really behind the choice.

LOL, no, it's not Candyman. :rofl:

Hmm, that makes me feel a bit better that maybe the skater actually likes it. I'm still hoping that (s)he picks something else next season... unless it is for next season, in which case, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
One of my greatest dreams is to see live a figure skating event at Winter Olympics. Some years ago I told my husband that the next time they return to Europe, I will go. To my delight I discovered that the 2026 Winter Olympic Games will be held either in Italy or in Sweden (there are no other candidates), so I have already marked two weeks of February 2026 in my imaginary calendar. It's a very long waiting, but I will do anything to go there :) I would love to see the Pairs and Ice Dance FS/FD (that's the minimum plan) and if at that time the depth of my wallet permits so, maybe also some other figure skating segments :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought about creating a new GS account (Sky_Fly2.0) for April Fools Day today but decided against it :devil: