Random Confessions | Page 145 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I have the same problem finding sunglasses that don't leave marks on my cheekbones when I take them off - due to my flat nose - so embarrassing. But I heard that some brands ie. Chanel has started making sunglasses for Asian features aka flat nose.

Yeah, a lot of brands are starting to make them. I got mine from smartbuyglasses.com. As for sunglasses, I still don't have a pair, and nothing in the stores fits. So I'm just squinting until I get some extra money to order some or extra time to take a trip to Chinatown and look for some less expensive ones.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, I'm Eastern European with some distant Asian ancestry, like 5-10% depending on the DNA test. I've had random people pick me out of a crowd and come up to me speaking Russian, and I've had people thinking I'm half Japanese, so I guess it's more or less noticeable depending on who's looking.

So true! And very interesting.

Yeah, I figured from how I look and where in Siberia part of my family is from that I most likely have some Asian ancestry, but I could never prove it, and certain mean classmates accused me of lying if it ever came up in conversation. Turns out there's even more than I thought there was!

That's sad. It's like some who have accused Senator Elizabeth Warren of lying about her heritage. I'm particularly aware of this, because I've got a similar percentage of Cherokee ancestry (1/32, or one great-great-great grandparent). But it's given me an interest in learning about the culture, and my proof is a Civil War photograph of a half-Cherokee Confederate soldier, plus, in my grandmother's handwriting, documentation of his name, story and dates that I've confirmed via census, birth and marriage records.

My $79.00 DNA test didn't show it, though. I'm half tempted to investigate what I'd have to pay for a full DNA analysis, but I haven't done it yet!

I guess that's My Random Confession for the day. :)

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States

That's sad. It's like some who have accused Senator Elizabeth Warren of lying about her heritage. I'm particularly aware of this, because I've got a similar percentage of Cherokee ancestry (1/32, or one great-great-great grandparent). But it's given me an interest in learning about the culture, and my proof is a Civil War photograph of a half-Cherokee Confederate soldier, plus, in my grandmother's handwriting, documentation of his name, story and dates that I've confirmed via census, birth and marriage records.

My $79.00 DNA test didn't show it, though. I'm half tempted to investigate what I'd have to pay for a full DNA analysis, but I haven't done it yet!

This is an interesting topic...
Apparently Jessica Biel has the same issue.. she was always under the impression she had Native American ancestry but her DNA results, revealed on the show "Who Do You Think You Are?" did not show it.. she was nonplussed to say the least. However, the attached article explains why she was not wrong about her heritage... it is an interesting read.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/dna-ex...a-follow-up-dna-native-heritage-and-lies/amp/

My own DNA results were interesting... paternal family lore alluded to Native American ancestry but I was skeptical, figuring that, if it existed, it would not show in my results since there were no close male relatives still living to be tested for confirmation. Since my many times great grandparents date back to 1730 or so in America and they had 11 children my DNA results have linked with thousands of 5th to 8th cousins living now of which half or more have Native American results.
Another interesting fact: on my matrilineal side I am 1% European Jewish .. this does not show in my sister's results even though we are a close match otherwise. African ancestry is also found in my search through the cousins but it did not show in my sister's tests or mine..
I am considering Haplo "Out of Africa" group testing to connect with ancient migrations

hanyuufan5

Medalist

Yeah, and sometimes it even varies by the same person. My mother is equally likely to mistake someone else for me from behind in a crowd of Russians or a crowd of Japanese people. :laugh:

Yeah, granted, it was only the mean ones. :laugh: So who knows if they even meant it or were just trying to annoy me.

That's so cool that you have his photo! He's a distant enough ancestor that there's a good chance you didn't inherit a detectable amount of his DNA, but that doesn't make you any less descended from him. You can try the admixture calculators on gedmatch.com. (Take them with an even bigger grain of salt than "professional" DNA tests. They can be really good and really bad at the same time, like the one that correctly guessed my Cossack ancestry down to the correct type of Cossack, but then also said I could be 20% Norwegian. :palmf:)

Speaking of photos, the most distant I have is my great-great grandmother. We have the same nose! :jaw:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm writing a story based on/inspired by the music video for "Sugar We're Goin' Down" by Fall Out Boy.

It's 3 in the morning and I'm trying to tire myself out LOL.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I'm torn between tackling exercise 1 in the phonetics book my friend/professor (it's kinda weird to say you're friends with your former professor, but that's what it is)gave me and watching fancams from all the summer competitions going on right now. What I should be doing is changing out of my sleeping shorts, but I don't wanna :tantrum:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It's the height of peach and plum season in Japan and this is the only time of year the prices are reasonable. Small fruit and vegetable stalls on the street sell whole baskets which I am happy to buy -They are delicious. :love:

Also, if you visit rural Japan in the summer you will see unmanned vegetable stalls. There is a jar for money and a price and a bunch of fresh vegetables. It's salad time!

Last edited:

Ducky

On the Ice
It's the height of peach and plum season in Japan and this is the only time of year the prices are reasonable. Small fruit and vegetable stalls on the street sell whole baskets which I am happy to buy -They are delicious. :love:

Also, if you visit rural Japan in the summer you will see unmanned vegetable stalls. There is a jar for money and a price and a bunch of fresh vegetables. It's salad time!

Oh, that sounds lovely.

For once I remembered to take out cash, since living in a city it's all too easy to use a debit card or even an app on my phone to pay for anything, and managed to snag some nice peaches from the fruit stand outside my office.

~Millions of peaches, peaches for me~

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm kind of stunned by the numbers of high profile skaters getting married this summer/off season. Just WOW. Very lovely to see their personal lives are going well :)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
How is your new job? And I can't wait to see your beautiful flower bouquets. You are so talented. :)

Apologies for a late response - the job is...interesting let's say;). It is within my experience, but the subject in entirely new: multiple new systems to get familiar with, new procedures, guidelines, etc. A lot of things to be consulted/discussed, which in a long run (aka when I learn all the rules) will be a good thing as I like to use my brain/knowledge/experience in more creative way, finding new solutions and sharing them between co-workers. It is definitely a challenge: to get reset myself from being with the team since its humble beginnings, taking part in building it up, growing along with it to becoming a part of already existing team, with its manners/ways of solving things... It is a patience test for me. And well, since my team is quite small, there's no formal training, with structure & schedule planned; I won't lie, it is a downside for me, but I try to look at it in long distance perspective - I will be more independent, with less 'mannierism' others already worked out for themselves and will have fresher look on things.

I try to look at it in rather positive, open way - I have my share of doubtful moments though, won't lie about that; but that’s my nature, so I am taking it step by step :)

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
The newest employed teacher at the English academy said "Gabby" when asked for her English name. I got curious and asked her what it was short for, she said "Gabrielle." And I thought 'oh, like Daleman, not Papadakis.' Almost said it out loud, thank goodness the place is the pit of chaos these days :laugh:

And a confession unrelated to the one above: I hate drying my hair, but I have what we here in the peninsula call a 'bobsession' or 'bobdrawl' (translated liberally, damn untranslatable word nuances). That is, when I start to grow out my hair I also start to burn with the desire to have a lovely, simple, elegant bob. Why is this a problem? See, you have to dry your hair well for your bob to actually look nice and not like Anton Chigurh. On top of that, my hair does what my hair stylist calls a 'surface curl', which means it slightly curls, just enough make my hair ends go wild if not properly dried. With long hair you can't really tell, but with bobs they are painfully obvious. So I have to dry my hair thoroughly and with care to style it the way I want.

The reason I'm writing this is because I have to dry my hair now, so I'm procrastinating to the best of my extent. I'm going to hate how my hair looks soon enough anyway :eek:hwell:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
No, I'm Eastern European with some distant Asian ancestry, like 5-10% depending on the DNA test. I've had random people pick me out of a crowd and come up to me speaking Russian, and I've had people thinking I'm half Japanese, so I guess it's more or less noticeable depending on who's looking.

Very interesting point at the end. You know the Scottish singer KT Tunstall. Back in her heyday, if you had to describe how she looked to somebody, you would probably have said "a white Chinese girl". But, she is only actually ¼ Chinese (from Hong Kong); the other ¾ is from the British Isles. The interesting thing is that now that she has got older, her Asian ancestry is becoming less obvious when you look at her.

So, which parts of your genetic makeup are more prominent in how you look can change over time. Which is fascinating.

Yeah, I figured from how I look and where in Siberia part of my family is from that I most likely have some Asian ancestry, but I could never prove it, and certain mean classmates accused me of lying if it ever came up in conversation. Turns out there's even more than I thought there was!

As skylark said, that is sad. Let's face it, you know you better than anybody else. But, kids can be cruel for no reason.

This is an interesting topic...
Apparently Jessica Biel has the same issue.. she was always under the impression she had Native American ancestry but her DNA results, revealed on the show "Who Do You Think You Are?" did not show it.. she was nonplussed to say the least. However, the attached article explains why she was not wrong about her heritage... it is an interesting read.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/dna-ex...a-follow-up-dna-native-heritage-and-lies/amp/

I am glad you mentioned "Who Do You Think You Are?", because I LOVE that programme. Well, the original British version, anyway. I did try out the American version when it first started, but gave up after the second series as there were so few people I had heard tell of in the third series. And due to the fact that because the episodes are much shorter than the British version (42m as opposed to 58m), they weren't going into as much detail.

I also tried out the odd episode of the Irish version. Quite frankly, the ones I saw weren't that interesting. Except for Rosanna Davison, a former Miss World who just happens to be the daughter of singer Chris de Burgh. And it turns out that our Chris is descended from William the Conqueror! Their reactions from them were absolutely priceless when this was revealed!

Not as priceless as the reactions of Kim Cattrell on my absolute favourite episode of the British version. Her Granda had seemingly disappeared off the face of the Earth, leaving behind his wife and family. But, it turned out that he had started out a new life with a new wife. A version of this episode was also included in the second series of the American version, but it was edited down so much to fit the shorter time that it didn't have anywhere near the same effect as the full length version.

The newest series started a few weeks ago. Daniel Radcliffe was the first episode (I was genuinely shocked to discover that his Dad is from Northern Ireland. You would have thought that the local media would have been making a big fuss of this over the years!), and Kate Winslet will be on next week.

My own DNA results were interesting... paternal family lore alluded to Native American ancestry but I was skeptical, figuring that, if it existed, it would not show in my results since there were no close male relatives still living to be tested for confirmation. Since my many times great grandparents date back to 1730 or so in America and they had 11 children my DNA results have linked with thousands of 5th to 8th cousins living now of which half or more have Native American results.
Another interesting fact: on my matrilineal side I am 1% European Jewish .. this does not show in my sister's results even though we are a close match otherwise. African ancestry is also found in my search through the cousins but it did not show in my sister's tests or mine..
I am considering Haplo "Out of Africa" group testing to connect with ancient migrations

That's so cool that you have his photo! He's a distant enough ancestor that there's a good chance you didn't inherit a detectable amount of his DNA, but that doesn't make you any less descended from him. You can try the admixture calculators on gedmatch.com. (Take them with an even bigger grain of salt than "professional" DNA tests. They can be really good and really bad at the same time, like the one that correctly guessed my Cossack ancestry down to the correct type of Cossack, but then also said I could be 20% Norwegian. :palmf:)

Speaking of photos, the most distant I have is my great-great grandmother. We have the same nose! :jaw:

I would love to get a DNA test done, because I am curious to know whether there is a reason that I feel an affinity to certain countries and tend to support people from them. But, I am very suspicious of what the companies that offer this service do with what they find.

Yeah, and sometimes it even varies by the same person. My mother is equally likely to mistake someone else for me from behind in a crowd of Russians or a crowd of Japanese people. :laugh:

This is just hilarious! :laugh:

My Mum never has bother spotting me, because I am always wearing the same (very bright) hat. Which is ironic, because I mostly wear dark clothing.

Good luck with the Asian glasses. I didn't know about them, very interesting. I hope they work well for you, when you get lenses. I'm a 110% contact lens person, because glasses give me vertigo and interfere with my peripheral vision.

Same, I only wear glasses when I run out of contacts or am working with certain chemicals. :laugh: Hopefully I won't need to wear them much, but when I do, at least they won't give me a headache. (Well, from how they feel. They might give me a headache from being freaked out by how different I look in glasses. :laugh:)

I have the same problem finding sunglasses that don't leave marks on my cheekbones when I take them off - due to my flat nose - so embarrassing. But I heard that some brands ie. Chanel has started making sunglasses for Asian features aka flat nose.

I'm not Asian, but I wear glasses all the time. I am not a fan of the big black plastic glasses that seem to be in fashion nowadays - I am more of a small gold coloured metal glasses kinda guy. I did have big metal glasses one time, but my eyesight was so bad that the lenses were really thick - you'd have thought I was looking through the base of a jam jar! And because they were so thick, they dug into my cheek. So, that is why I now wear small glasses. Even if it does mean I only have tunnel vision.

I would love to get my eyes lasered, but I am too squeemish. Hey, I'm too squeemish to even wear contact lenses! I would want to be knocked out if I was getting laser treatment, so that I wouldn't know what was happening. But, if I did get it done, I would still wear glasses with plain lenses, because frankly, I look weird without them!

CaroLiza_fan

hanyuufan5

Medalist
I would love to get a DNA test done, because I am curious to know whether there is a reason that I feel an affinity to certain countries and tend to support people from them. But, I am very suspicious of what the companies that offer this service do with what they find.

You never know! I never would have thought that an affinity for a country could have something to do with genetics, but now I'm not so sure. It really seems like that was me with Kazakhstan.

When I got the DNA test, I wanted so badly for any amount of Central Asian to show up, because given where one side of my family was from, it would most likely be Kazakh. When a little bit actually did show up, I thought, "Wait a minute, what if I like Kazakhstan so much because I'm part Kazakh, not that I want to be part Kazakh because I like Kazakhstan so much!?" And that side of my family is the side with the great-great-grandma with the nose I inherited, plus her daughter who had the same Eteri-girl-physique gene that I have...

As for what they do with it, I try not to think about that too much... (shiver)

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Very interesting point at the end. You know the Scottish singer KT Tunstall. Back in her heyday, if you had to describe how she looked to somebody, you would probably have said "a white Chinese girl". But, she is only actually ¼ Chinese (from Hong Kong); the other ¾ is from the British Isles. The interesting thing is that now that she has got older, her Asian ancestry is becoming less obvious when you look at her.

So, which parts of your genetic makeup are more prominent in how you look can change over time. Which is fascinating.

As skylark said, that is sad. Let's face it, you know you better than anybody else. But, kids can be cruel for no reason.

I am glad you mentioned "Who Do You Think You Are?", because I LOVE that programme. Well, the original British version, anyway. I did try out the American version when it first started, but gave up after the second series as there were so few people I had heard tell of in the third series. And due to the fact that because the episodes are much shorter than the British version (42m as opposed to 58m), they weren't going into as much detail.

I also tried out the odd episode of the Irish version. Quite frankly, the ones I saw weren't that interesting. Except for Rosanna Davison, a former Miss World who just happens to be the daughter of singer Chris de Burgh. And it turns out that our Chris is descended from William the Conqueror! Their reactions from them were absolutely priceless when this was revealed!

Not as priceless as the reactions of Kim Cattrell on my absolute favourite episode of the British version. Her Granda had seemingly disappeared off the face of the Earth, leaving behind his wife and family. But, it turned out that he had started out a new life with a new wife. A version of this episode was also included in the second series of the American version, but it was edited down so much to fit the shorter time that it didn't have anywhere near the same effect as the full length version.

The newest series started a few weeks ago. Daniel Radcliffe was the first episode (I was genuinely shocked to discover that his Dad is from Northern Ireland. You would have thought that the local media would have been making a big fuss of this over the years!), and Kate Winslet will be on next week.

This is just hilarious! :laugh:

My Mum never has bother spotting me, because I am always wearing the same (very bright) hat. Which is ironic, because I mostly wear dark clothing.

I'm not Asian, but I wear glasses all the time. I am not a fan of the big black plastic glasses that seem to be in fashion nowadays - I am more of a small gold coloured metal glasses kinda guy. I did have big metal glasses one time, but my eyesight was so bad that the lenses were really thick - you'd have thought I was looking through the base of a jam jar! And because they were so thick, they dug into my cheek. So, that is why I now wear small glasses. Even if it does mean I only have tunnel vision.

I would love to get my eyes lasered, but I am too squeemish. Hey, I'm too squeemish to even wear contact lenses! I would want to be knocked out if I was getting laser treatment, so that I wouldn't know what was happening. But, if I did get it done, I would still wear glasses with plain lenses, because frankly, I look weird without them!

CaroLiza_fan

WDYTYA is one of my favorite shows here, the American version at any rate, not having access to those from the UK... I remember Kim Catrall's family story... it was sad but Lisa Kudrow's story broke my heart.... practically her whole family was shot and buried in a mass grave in their village.. I cried nonstop. Haplo group DNA tests supposedly track 5 (or is it 7) ancient migrations from original sources in Africa to their areas of settlement worldwide rather than being country specific... this would be super interesting. National Geographic used to offer it; not sure it still does and it is much more expensive. Wonder if I have Neanderthal roots? Most of us do but I understand it is higher in some individuals... a unique, intelligent fascinating culture.
We have DNA tested Duende, my sister's Mustang; typically Mustangs are considered to be the most American of breeds.. they are wild, roaming the West Southwest landscape sine the Spanish Conquistadors but most are mixed blood mating with horses of various breeds left by farmers who settled that area 200 years or so ago.. Duende had a substantial amount of Spanish blood but surprise, surprise.. Welsh Cobb!! We smiled big at that!!

macershcbit

Rinkside
a random confession is that i love making memes on my free time & that i prefer to listen to underrated music; a lot of my favorite songs are underrated af.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
30 minutes ago:
Me: Ooh you're reading Rainbow Magic! I used to love those fairies when I was just about your age
Little Miss Lucia (age 7): Then who is your absolute favourite?
Me: Izzy. She rocks. But then, there are the Weather Fairies, who are all awesome in their own right, but Storm is the most badass.
Lucia: Who?
Me: She's the Lightning Fairy. See, there are the Rainbow Fairies, the original ones, and then the series continued on. Back then I begged my mom to buy me all the 60+ books, and I cried when I got flat-out refused :laugh:
Lucia: (wide-eyed) There's more than 60 books?
Me: Yeah. Here, lemme show you. (Opens comprehensive list of fairies on Wikia) See, this is Storm, isn't she awesome?
Lucia: I wanna see the others too!
Me: (scrolls) Ooh Pippa the Poppy Fairy, used to love her too. Wait, now they have Magical Animal Fairies??

And now I'm re-reading the series to catch up :drama: Did not expect a full-blown nostalgia attack to come up, but it did and I am utterly defeated. I can't help it, Rainbow Magic is still awesome :biggrin: