Random Confessions | Page 147 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

MalAssada

Medalist
I finally posted a story I'm writing today, feeling rather positive about it. Barely no one saw it. Either I posted it in a bad day, or it is just not as good as I thought it was. Will try to post in the middle of the week to see if the response is bigger.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I went to a cat cafe yesterday, and there was this totally adorable angora/munchkin mix kitten with gorgeous white fluffy fur and amber/blue eyes (which means she's deaf in one ear, but it didn't hinder her from ferociously chasing cat toys). Turns out she's out for adoption, the owner got her (plus two other kittens who are strays) from a friend asking her to find loving cat butlers for. Ugh, saying I couldn't take her home broke my heart :sad21: I almost cried when I had to leave the place, I wanted to name her Ame right then and there and carry her off. Why is my father incapable of accepting furry animals that don't happen to be his children :sad4:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I love the program too, as well as Henry Louis Gates' Finding Your Roots. I've probably only seen the American cut-down version, but Kim Cattrall's is one of my favorite episodes, too. Maybe because of the compelling story, plus Kim's reactions.

SPOILER: Kim: "I've got you, you son of a" (expletive)!!! And (Me): "good heavens, he was only a hundred miles away!" END of SPOILER.

I'm struck by the number of similar stories, where an ancestor just walked away and established a new life, a new marriage, and a new family somewhere else, maybe not very far away. One was actor Steve Buscemi - his ancestor was presumed missing after the Civil War, and his wife got a widow's pension. But he had a new life, new wife, and new family in NYC, (IIRC). Even more recently, it was Susan Sarandon's grandmother she was looking for. Turned out that's where Susan's gorgeous Tuscan coloring came from!

I wonder if I could find the British version online, here in Mid-America? LOL. I may try utube. I'd love to see Kate Winslett's episode, and Daniel R's.

I was standing in the cafeteria line at choir camp, where I was a counselor, next to a famously nerdy kid. For some reason the subject came up, and he said, "I'm a direct descendent of William the Conqueror." I thought about this for a moment, then it occurred to me to muse, "I wonder how many other people in the United States are descended from him?" Andy promptly replied, "Eleven thousand, two hundred and thirty-seven." !!

:laugh:

Of course after a thousand years have passed, there are going to be thousands, if not millions, of descendents. But, it is still something that you would be proud to find out.

Anyway, because of the license fee, the BBC are very protective of their programming. So, I don't think you'll find copies of WDYTYA on YouTube. But, you might (*cough*) find some on another well-known video sharing site that some skating competitions get streamed on.

I can't risk saying any more. You'll just have to get your (Doctor Martin) boots on, and start moving around l'internet every day trying to find them. ;)

We are now 4 episodes into the current series (the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] episode is on tonight, but I don't think I'll get a chance to see it before going on holidays in a couple of days), and every episode so far has been very interesting.

1. Daniel Radcliffe: After finding out in the previews that his Dad is from Northern Ireland, I was excited about what was going to be found on his Dad's side. But, as it turned out, it was his Mum's side that I found more interesting. Her family are Jewish (and one of them was the absolute image of Daniel!), but her ancestors came to England long before everything kicked off in Europe. So, it was something new finding out about what life was life for the Jewish communities that were established before the persecutions of the early 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century. And the specific story they found about his great-granda was very interesting. For his Dad's side, they focussed in on the experiences of his ancestors in the First World War. But, it is normal for people looking to research their family in Ireland to not be able to go back to far. There was a big fire in the records office which means that the only census records that survive are the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century ones. The only other way to find out things is to go to parish records, and for that you need to know where exactly to look! So, I suspect that once the producers found a good story on his Mum's side, they decided to give more weight to it.

2. Naomie Harris: I have to be honest, going into the episode, I knew she was an actress, but I wasn't too familiar with her. But, she had the same effect as Olivia Coleman did when she was on last year - you just took an instant liking to her! The thing that was frustrating, though, is that her own story was only mentioned in passing at the start, and wasn't properly explained. She mentioned that she had only met her Dad about 5 times in her whole life, yet when she was talking to him about his family, they seemed to get on well. And it got even more intriguing, because she was shocked to find out that he had lots of family that literally lived round the corner from the street where she grew up, but she never knew about them. Anyway, her explorations into her heritage on both sides took her to various Caribbean islands, and inevitably into the story of slavery. And, like when Liz Bonnin was on a few years ago, it was both sides of the slave trade. There was one moment that particularly stood out for me. It was when Naomie visited an old woman who last saw her when she was a baby, and who knew her great-granny well. It was so beautiful seeing them catching up. When Naomie asked her about a particular issue that had come up, this woman said she didn't know anything about it. But it was obvious from her body language that she knew everything about it. And after keeping the secret for all these decades, she wasn't going to betray a confidence now just for a TV show. I just hope that she told Naomie something in private, away from the cameras. Because this issue was so big that it actually had Naomie questioning who she was.

3. Michael and Jack Whitehall: What can I say about the first duo to be on the show (father and son)? The exact opposite of Naomi Harris - you couldn't like them if you reared them! I know there are different sorts of comedy, but I cannot imagine them being the least bit funny at all! They were so dour! But, thankfully, the stories about their ancestors were more interesting than they were. And I learnt a lot about significant events in British history that I had never heard tell of before, but which people in England and Wales are probably taught about at school (we were taught about what was happening in Ireland at the same time, which is kinda understandable as it was pretty big). The best bit was that if something came up that he didn't like the sound of, Michael would just zone out and totally ignore it. He wasn't going to sit there and listen to anything bad being said about his ancestors!

4. Kate Winslet: Another actress whose show reminded me a lot of Olivia Colman's, and Kim Cattrell's for that matter. The thing that really made the programmes that Olivia and Kim were on so enjoyable is that they really got into the stories. And so did Kate. This episode actually ties in with some of the things we have been discussing. There were rumours in the family that there was Swedish ancestry on her Mum's side. And when Kate was growing up, there were actually comments about how much they looked like a little Scandinavian family. And Kate was absolutely delighted when the programme proved this to be correct. And she got really emotionally connected with the people she was finding out about when she went to Sweden. And the same happened when she was exploring her Dad's side. She was really getting into the story of one particular ancestor on this side. But, then something was revealed about him which brought her back down to Earth with a bump. And she ended up really torn about how to feel about him. Best programme of the series so far.

5. Katherine Ryan: On tonight. Don't know her, but I hope she is more likable than the last people representing comedy that were on.

6. Paul Merton: On next Monday. Another comedian, so same hope goes as for Katherine Ryan.

The TV guides don't go any further, so I don't know what order the remaining 2 episodes will be aired in. But, to be honest, I think Sharon Osbourne is the only one of them that international readers will be familiar with. Because, frankly, I haven't even heard tell of the other person featured, a Mark Wright!

I hope you have enjoyed this wee summary.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Last year, I created Fan Fests for a couple of Novice Ice Dance partnerships. And when researching one of the partnerships, I was able to find out quite a bit about the guy, but couldn't find out ANYTHING about the girl. Absolutely nothing!

Well, in advance of making their Junior GP debut this week, this partnership finally got an ISU Bio yesterday. And when I read it, I discovered that the girl was born the day before my 20[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday. :shocked:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Suddenly I feel very old. :slink:

CaroLiza_fan

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
^^^ LOL, that made me realize that I'm just barely old enough to be some of my favorite novice (and below) skaters' mother without having been a teen mom. Trippy.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
The English academy news, brought to you by a reanimated corpse running on caffeine, blue lemonade, and gummy worms (in that order).

- Way, waaaay too many Level 1 (just starting to read, does phonics lessons, often confuses b/d or p/q) kids these days, help. I was born with resilent vocal chords, yes, but repeating "A is for apple, B is for bus" over and over does put a strain on them. Also, since English phonetics are, quite frankly, absurd, I still have to face 6-year-olds being :confused: because 'want' is pronounced /wɑnt/ not /wænt/, which goes against their programming of "A is for apple". It's not my fault, kids

- Clip wads of paper for three hours straight, you get bruised thumb-tips. And thanks to the summer break, the place has much more kids than usual. I tried putting on thimbles, had to ditch that because the clipper would slip out of my hands. I so hate re-registration period.

- David (13-year old with a Kiwi accent acquired by his year-long stay in NZ) stated it was his last day coming to the academy, and since our bet of one Battlegrounds coupon had been halted (thanks to his mother and her meddlesome ideas, but that's another story) I proposed that if he did his absolute best today, I'd buy him the coupon then and there. Lord, if he had done like he did today he would've improved so much. I bought him the coupon as promised, off he goes with "I'm going to remember you forever!" No you're not, you cheeky thing. I'm going to miss him and his cheek though, not that I'm letting him know that.

- So many of my preferred students are gone now, I swear I miss Min every other day. Scratch that, six out of seven days. And not much new kids to adore. Faye the changeling is still coming, my only solace.

Ducky

On the Ice
I'm cat sitting for a friend and instead of putting the key back under the mat, I left it on the table on the inside of the door. Guess whose going to learn how to pick locks tonight!

Ducky

On the Ice
I'm cat sitting for a friend and instead of putting the key back under the mat, I left it on the table on the inside of the door. Guess whose going to learn how to pick locks tonight!

Update, I have not leveled up as a rogue yet despite my neighbor showing me how to pick my lock. Seems it's shelling out money for locksmith.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
My eyelash curler broke and I had to buy a new one yesterday. I hate it so much it's unbelievable. And I can't do without one. My eyelashes are super long, but also they're growing downwards, like, not only straight, but down a bit too. I can only use waterproof mascara to get them to stay curled. And now I don't know whether to go buy another one or to give it a few tries. The problem is that it's kinda too straight, if that makes sense. It's not really suitable for my eye shape.... Ah damn. :curse:

SmallAminal

On the Ice
My eyelash curler broke and I had to buy a new one yesterday. I hate it so much it's unbelievable. And I can't do without one. My eyelashes are super long, but also they're growing downwards, like, not only straight, but down a bit too. I can only use waterproof mascara to get them to stay curled. And now I don't know whether to go buy another one or to give it a few tries. The problem is that it's kinda too straight, if that makes sense. It's not really suitable for my eye shape.... Ah damn. :curse:

There is a new one by Shiseido that is supposed to get to all corners of your lashes. I have the same problem - long but they angle down. I haven't tried mine yet but I'm hoping it does something. Have you tried Benefit Rollerlash? I was skeptical but it works for me if I pre-curl with the lash curler and then "push" my eyelashes up at the roots with my fingers after the mascara is on but before its dried.

Ducky

On the Ice
Update, I have not leveled up as a rogue yet despite my neighbor showing me how to pick my lock. Seems it's shelling out money for locksmith.

Update update: on the advice of my shrink, I told the person I was cat sitting that I had locked myself out, he contacted the super and the super let me in. Thank goodness because I couldn't really afford the $200-$300 hit...

Vandevska

Medalist
There is a new one by Shiseido that is supposed to get to all corners of your lashes. I have the same problem - long but they angle down. I haven't tried mine yet but I'm hoping it does something. Have you tried Benefit Rollerlash? I was skeptical but it works for me if I pre-curl with the lash curler and then "push" my eyelashes up at the roots with my fingers after the mascara is on but before its dried.

I can't get either of those unless I shop online, and with the shipping it'll end up more than I'm willing to splurge on. As for the finger method, I agree it works, but it's not as long-lasting as I'd like it to be.

For day to day I only curl my lashes because I don't mind not wearing makeup, but when I do want to wear mascara I'm only satisfied with the waterproof ones.

Today I've concluded that in addition to the curler being sorta flat, the pad/sponge/silicone that it has is too wide and I can't properly grip my lashes at the root. So I'll get a new one :laugh:

Vandevska

Medalist
I was typing "I think" and the first suggestion was "Eteri has" [emoji23]

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I forgot how much bigger my waltz jumps have gotten and tried to do one in my room. I crashed into my desk and fell. :eek::

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I am frustrated. Planned to go to work on Sundays through August to save money for Nebelhorn, but no one from my team was needed to be at work. And now entries are out & I am even more frustrated...