Random Confessions | Page 151 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
My random confession... I'm so ashamed... Are you ready to be horrified... Chloe Ferry used to skate at my rink [emoji24][emoji33][emoji45][emoji36]��������

I had to look her up, too. She's quite a good skater, so we can be confident that at least some of that butt is real! :biggrin: Too bad she didn't stick with skating.

On the bright side, she definitely gives me hope that it's my Aspire XP blades and not my big boobs that are holding back my spins!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I got to take a lesson with Max Aaron today at an adult skate camp and he helped me with my double salchow and gave me a lot of good things to think about (and didn’t laugh at me which I definitely would have...). But what is most important is that every time I meet another person with a last name that could be a first name (even if they are a famous figure skater) they always understand the struggle.

“What’s your last name?”

“C———“

“I meant your last name.”

“That is my last name.”

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I got to take a lesson with Max Aaron today at an adult skate camp and he helped me with my double salchow and gave me a lot of good things to think about (and didn’t laugh at me which I definitely would have...). ...

Thank you for sharing re Max! :luv17:

Glad that he was able to help you.

... But what is most important is that every time I meet another person with a last name that could be a first name (even if they are a famous figure skater) they always understand the struggle.

“What’s your last name?”

“C———“

“That is my last name.”

:laugh: :ghug:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I got to take a lesson with Max Aaron today at an adult skate camp and he helped me with my double salchow and gave me a lot of good things to think about (and didn’t laugh at me which I definitely would have...). But what is most important is that every time I meet another person with a last name that could be a first name (even if they are a famous figure skater) they always understand the struggle.

“What’s your last name?”

“C———“

“That is my last name.”

Thanks for the report.

My last name is Henry, but since I'm a woman, very few ask me again for my first name:laugh:

And to jump off, I'll be darned if I understand why folks seem to be naming their kids Henry as a first name these days. I mean, I like cause it's my name, but I sure wouldn't pick it on purpose:biggrin:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Ever since I first saw Matteo Rizzo's name I thought it was strangely familiar, and I just figured out why. See, while virtually nobody aside from the people who live in either China or Korea knows him, but Matteo Ricci was a very influential figure regarding the spread of Chiristianity in East Asia, and as a proud history nerd I had associated the two of them. And now I can sleep at night, one less unsolved mystery circling my head :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I had to look her up, too. She's quite a good skater, so we can be confident that at least some of that butt is real! :biggrin: Too bad she didn't stick with skating.

On the bright side, she definitely gives me hope that it's my Aspire XP blades and not my big boobs that are holding back my spins!

Yeah, looking at an old video that was posted back in 2015 (but could be older than that), she was pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvNNm0P9TmI

At the start of August, she put up some videos of her back on the ice, and somebody has stitched them together into a handy single video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFOa8e2Lwdk

She admitted that everything was off, and I was thinking "what do you expect after all that cosmetic surgery?! You've got a completely different body now, you'll have to re-train yourself on everything!"

And that was when it hit me - it must be a similar situation for these teenage girls that are going through puberty during their competitive skating career. They must be having to constantly adjust how they do things.

So, although I do think it was a real shame what Chloe did to her body, in a round about way it has helped me understand better what teenage girls who skate have to deal with.

And that is yet another reason why we should hold back from criticising teenage skaters.

CaroLiza_fan

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Thanks for the report.

My last name is Henry, but since I'm a woman, very few ask me again for my first name:laugh:

And to jump off, I'll be darned if I understand why folks seem to be naming their kids Henry as a first name these days. I mean, I like cause it's my name, but I sure wouldn't pick it on purpose:biggrin:

My cousin married a man named Jim James...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:biggrin:

I have a similar story.

But first, I have Henry's on my mother's side, Henry's on my father's side and Henry's by marriage (not my marriage, I was born a Henry and I'll die one, it's not Spousal Unit's name. Any of them :biggrin:) And no kissin cousins either ;) Everybody named Henry in the US of A:laugh:

So this one comes from the Henry's by marriage:

Yes, there was a Henry Henry. And what do they name the firstborn son? Henry Henry Jr.

:drama:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ever since I first saw Matteo Rizzo's name I thought it was strangely familiar, and I just figured out why. See, while virtually nobody aside from the people who live in either China or Korea knows him, but Matteo Ricci was a very influential figure regarding the spread of Chiristianity in East Asia, and as a proud history nerd I had associated the two of them. And now I can sleep at night, one less unsolved mystery circling my head :laugh:

History nerd me loves that :biggrin:

Looking into the family history with a Welsh maternal line can be fun like that, we have a couple of James James, but the number of Edward Edwards, Thomas Thomas etc etc, you couldn't make it up truly...

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Re: names, I always thought it was funny that my mom thought Elton John's name was John Elton! That's what she would call him! :rofl:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

*envious whine*

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Well, following Beatrice on twitter got me curious, now I have Polish on my Duolingo list. I'm currently focused on Italian (and to an extent, Russian) now, but man at this rate I'll start learning all GS members' native languages :drama:

And another thing: I have a real life crush. For the first time. I'm kinda mortified. Oh well, he's going to the land of Javi Fernandez next year anyway, so all I gotta do is mope alone until I reach a bargain with myself (deep sigh)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Well, following Beatrice on twitter got me curious, now I have Polish on my Duolingo list. I'm currently focused on Italian (and to an extent, Russian) now, but man at this rate I'll start learning all GS members' native languages :drama:

And another thing: I have a real life crush. For the first time. I'm kinda mortified. Oh well, he's going to the land of Javi Fernandez next year anyway, so all I gotta do is mope alone until I reach a bargain with myself (deep sigh)

I want to learn Japanese or Korean on the other hand, but I am afraid it will be too tough for me & I will get discouraged... I wonder if you would have some tips for a foreigner like me, how to start learning Korean and not get discouraged :) :) :)

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I want to learn Japanese or Korean on the other hand, but I am afraid it will be too tough for me & I will get discouraged... I wonder if you would have some tips for a foreigner like me, how to start learning Korean and not get discouraged :) :) :)

Well unlike your writing system :biggrin: our letter system, Hangeul, is easy to learn, scientifically confirmed. The language... it kinda is difficult, can confirm as a Korean lit major. Mostly because of 'honorifics', the different way of speaking when addressing somebody in a 'formal' way, kinda raising them up. Think how the French 'tu' and the singular 'vous' differ and it's of a similar vein, only it affects the whole sentence, not just the verb. But since I'm supposed to encourage you ;) In the book which describes the principles of Hangeul and its invention say that "it can be learned within half a day for the enlightened, and even the dim-witted could learn it in 10 days", and once you know how to read Hangeul you'll be able to find tons of resources and helpful Koreans (including me) willing to help!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Good luck with the crush, Aisha!

Hmm, yes, I remember my first crush. We swore we'd get married... then we went to different kindergartens and never saw each other again. Yes, it was in preschool. I was a precocious lil' thing. :laugh:

Oddly enough given the fact that my first one was so young, I've had very few crushes, maybe one or two per decade.

Ducky

On the Ice
Why is it so hard to find people to do things with? I've tickets to see the new Noah Baumbach film, Marriage Story, at NYFF, not at the best time (because the price difference between seeing it in the main theater verses the normal screening theater was really big!) but it's Friday, a 9:30 screening isn't going to kill you and I already bought the extra ticket, just buy me a drink. But it's like I'm asking my friends to get a root canal... or ice skating.

And it's like this awful feedback loop: I end up seeming aloof because I just do things by myself, but when I do try to do things with other people no one is interested (even when I make it super easy and treat them) and so I just tend to just do things by myself but then get called out because I'm talking about movies or shows no one else has seen or bands no one else has heard of.

Anyway, just bummed that there haven't been any screening added for Parasite yet.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

I have a similar story.

But first, I have Henry's on my mother's side, Henry's on my father's side and Henry's by marriage (not my marriage, I was born a Henry and I'll die one, it's not Spousal Unit's name. Any of them :biggrin:) And no kissin cousins either ;) Everybody named Henry in the US of A:laugh:

So this one comes from the Henry's by marriage:

Yes, there was a Henry Henry. And what do they name the firstborn son? Henry Henry Jr.

:drama:

Looking into the family history with a Welsh maternal line can be fun like that, we have a couple of James James, but the number of Edward Edwards, Thomas Thomas etc etc, you couldn't make it up truly...

And we have an Olivia Oliver on the Junior Ice Dance circuit (although, she used to use the double-barrelled surname Rybicka-Oliver)

Thank goodness my surname isn’t also a first name (although, there is a pretty good French band with the same name).

On the other hand, my first name can also be a surname. Indeed, there was a guy in my year at school who had my first name as his surname. And he really hated me (I don’t think that was because of my name, though).

My sister and I are fighting over which of us, if we ever have kids and if one of them is ever a boy, gets to name her son our last name as his first name.

Oh. My. Goodness. That is exactly what happened in my family! :shocked:

When my maternal Granda was born, my Great Granny gave him her maiden name as his first name. And a few years later, her sister did the same with her son.

I never thought of it like this until this conversation came up, but both my Grandfathers had first names that are also surnames. But, I have no idea where my paternal Granda’s first name came from.

Re: names, I always thought it was funny that my mom thought Elton John's name was John Elton! That's what she would call him! :rofl:

Ah, but that’s not his real name. So, it doesn’t count. :p

But, it is still funny.

:thank: so much! I enjoyed your summary thoroughly!

Thanks again for taking the time to recap the stories. :rock:

While I have the opportunity, I thought I may as well finish my summaries of the 16[SUP]th[/SUP] series of “Who Do You Think You Are?”

5. Katherine Ryan: Never seen her doing comedy before, but she is just so naturally funny that you couldn’t help but take a liking to her (I think it was down to quirky Canadian things about her). And the reason she was doing it also made you like her. Basically, her daughter is as English as you can get, and she looks down on her Mum for being foreign. So, Katherine was on a mission to find English ancestors so that she could counter that she was English too. Now, Katherine knew there was no point going down her Dad’s side of the family, because they are Irish through and through (but, when she had a name like “Katherine Ryan”, I think we had all already worked that one out!) So, she was just going down her Mum’s side. And it turned out that her ancestors had been in Canada a VERY long time – over 250 years! And when she did eventually get an ancestor from overseas… they were Irish! :laugh: Fortunately, they then went down another branch, and found somebody from England. And she was delighted!

6. Paul Merton: Although I had known the name for years, I hadn’t actually seen Paul Merton in anything before. Paul’s Mum was Irish, and she was brought up in foster care after being orphaned when she was a baby. As a result, Paul knew very little about her family, and so wanted to find out about them. The thing I found frustrating about Paul is that, despite him being half Irish, he is the perfect example of an English person who doesn’t understand Ireland at all. Like, whereas I had all the storylines worked out as soon as they arose, he was having to have everything spelt out to him. Very slowly. Anyway, despite coming from a small village in Co. Cork, it turned out that, although relatively short, Paul’s Grandfather had a very eventful life. Paul’s Mum was led to believe that he was lost at sea. But, that wasn’t quite what happened. And, as a result of not knowing the story right, none of the family knew that he was actually buried in an unmarked grave in Wales. So, Paul became the first family member to ever visit the grave. And I thought it was lovely when he said that he was going to buy a headstone for it. In the second half, he went investigating the English side of his family. They were all from London, but the surprise was that his Great-Great Grandparents, and his Great-Great-Great Grandfather were musicians. There was a funny story about his Great-Great Grandmother when she was 14, but then when the wider picture was looked at, it was actually a sign of how bad things were for her.

7. Sharon Osbourne: This was a proper programme of two halves. The first half was very happy, and the second half was a tough watch. Now, all I really knew about Sharon was that her Dad was in music management, and she had followed him into the business. But, I never knew where she was from (I knew Ozzy was from Birmingham, but hadn’t a clue about Sharon). So, the first thing I learnt was that she was from Brixton. She knew all about her Dad’s family, but knew practically nothing about her Mum’s. To the extent that she didn’t even know her Grandfather’s name. But, she found out quite early on in the programme. And she also found out that her Grandmother had a sister who she never knew about. The three of them were performers, and were in an act together. And Sharon was having a great time finding out about them. But then it took a sad turn. And it got worse when she then started looking into her Grandfather’s family. The big shock for Sharon was when she found out that his Mum was American. But, it turned out that her parents were English and Irish and had emigrated to America, settling in Fall River, Massachusetts. And this was where the story got very harrowing. I won’t spoil the story, but will just say that I was getting very emotional just watching it, so you can imagine what it was like for Sharon.

8. Mark Wright: They definitely saved the best till last. As I said in my previous post, I had never even heard tell of him before. And the introduction explained why – he is in “The Only Way Is Essex”. But what a fascinating family story! His Grandfather was a boxer, and was always under the impression that their family had come to England from Italy via Poland. And as a result, Mark always went around trying to chat girls up using the line that he was Italian. But, he wanted to find out for sure while his Grandfather was still around. The first surprise he got was that he had Jewish ancestry. And I thought “aha! That is where Poland comes in!” But, it turned out that they were not Eastern European Jews, but were Spanish Jews (and we found out near the end of the programme that they had come to England via Holland, not Poland). And they had been in London for a very long time. The ancestor who first came to England was a swordsman from Andalucía, which Mark thought was great because he spends a lot of time in Marbella. And when he got to Andalucía, we inevitably got to see him getting a lesson in sword fighting. But, then the story got VERY interesting, with the story of the family’s dealings with the Spanish Inquisition.​

So, there you go. Another series under our belts.

I hope the next series is as good as this one!

CaroLiza_fan