Random Confessions | Page 152 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So a local bakery that is known, really, the world over for its apple fritters and other tasty offerings is closing its doors for good tomorrow. Owners need to retire for health reasons, and they haven't found a buyer. Moose Is Loose Bakery in Soldotna has been around for 18 years and honestly I'm devastated. As is most of our area of the world. People are driving over three hours to come get a last taste. Lines have been so long that the waits are hours long.

I spent 170 minutes in line this morning to get two boxes filled with Apple Fritters, cinnamon rolls, and chocolate frosted donuts. We'll eat some fresh and freeze the rest. It was 25* when I got in line and 28* when I finally made it into the shop. It's crazy.

I'm going to miss them something fierce. :cry:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
After mentioning her in a post yesterday, I got curious about something and went into the date calculator on the site that we use for time conversions to find out.

Today, I am 24 days older than the age Fumie Suguri was the day she announced her retirement.

That is scary. Like, for years before that people were saying that Fumie was over the hill and should just admit that her best days were past her and call it a day. But, this makes me realise that she was anything but over the hill when she did finally call time on her competitive career.

Incidentally, for those that are wondering, today Carolina is 450 days younger than Fumie was the day she made her retirement announcement.

So, hopefully she won't be making a similar announcement any time soon.

CaroLiza_fan

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some figure skating humor from an Australian athlete:

Background
Jordan Mailata is an Australian on the roster of the Eagles of the NFL. Despite having never played football (sorry, I'm American, it's football:)) in his life prior to 2018. But as physical specimens go, the man is the proverbial brick wall: 6'8" and 360 pounds. And his teammates on the offensive line are also big, although not that big.

Story. (From the New York Times Sept. 22 Sunday Magazine Can the NFL turn a 360 pound rugby player into a Football Star

"On an off day last season, Mailata and several of his [large] teammates were walking through Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia, a popular gathering spot, when they were approached, as he put it, 'by a group of drunk, middle-aged ladies from New Jersey.' They wanted to know what sport the men played. The players at first said they were not pro athletes, but when the women said they did not believe that, Mailata stepped forward and said: 'Yes, we are. We’re figure skaters. We’re here for an international ice-skating competition.' "

:laugh2:

And how does an Australian rugby player now on the NFL know about figure skating?:eek: I may combine the two fandoms, but the athletes themselves?:scratch2:

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Now that it happened, I feel compelled to confess.

Today was the first time in my life when I put on skates and stepped on ice.

The ice knocked me down 3 times, but by the end of the hour I spent there I could make 5 circles along the rink side at the speed of 10 km/h or so. It felt like I broke the speed of light. :laugh:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Having a real-life crush is a mortifying experience, stupid brain chemicals :bang: Like, I'm the type that doesn't dream often, and yesterday I dreamed a dream where I was told that my crush was interested in me. :palmf: Thank goodness the dream changed genres and became a psychological thriller where I was trying to mind-control a girl (I think) to eat something revolting (don't ask me why or how, I am one weird person, as I always tell the kids at the English academy), I'm already vexed by the fact that he is registered as 'good-looking' on my system when objectively speaking, by my standards he shouldn't be. Again, stupid brain chemicals. :gaah:

On the topic of dreams, it looks like when I dream about skaters I only do for those I'm worried and/or freaked out for. Squirtle appeared after 4CCs, Junhwan appeared after WC, and during the off-season Yuzuru in crutches made a very short appearance. The life of a maniac fangirl, even in your dreams there is no peace :drama:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Speaking of dreams, I had a weird dream that I was back in college/uni in an upper level math class, but instead of the professor I actually took it with, the skating director from my current rink was teaching it. :shocked: She was going over some worksheet and asked for one of the answers, which I had as f'(x)=(3/4)x. I read it as "f of x prime equals 3-over-4 x." She said it was correct. :palmf: (It should be "f prime of x equals three fourths x," and if I had said it the dream way in the actual class, I'm pretty sure people would have been worried that I was drunk or having some kind of medical emergency.)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm going to miss them something fierce. :cry:

It's heartbreaking when we have favorite places close! I started going to a particular Mexican restaurant in 1972, when people were saying "tacos? what is that?" They have been closed for more than 10 years now, and just the other day a friend of mine said, "Didn't they have the best salsa ever?! There will never be another place like that." It's like we're still in mourning after all this time.

So happy you were able to get one last bunch of treats!

Adding -- I'm starving after looking at the photos of their goodies. Wow!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's heartbreaking when we have favorite places close! I started going to a particular Mexican restaurant in 1972, when people were saying "tacos? what is that?" They have been closed for more than 10 years now, and just the other day a friend of mine said, "Didn't they have the best salsa ever?! There will never be another place like that." It's like we're still in mourning after all this time.

So happy you were able to get one last bunch of treats!

Adding -- I'm starving after looking at the photos of their goodies. Wow!

They were amazing in size and taste! Really hoping someone buys it and continues to offer the same size for price... there's a rumor that someone is in negotiations, but our town is full of rumors that go no where.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
This is probably off tangent, but I'm wondering if Hanyu fans attending Cup of China are allowed to bring Pooh bears to throw on the ice? Is Hanyu himself allowed to bring his usual Pooh tissue box?

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Not giving details on the off chance that someone who was there is reading this, but hoo boy, I am thanking the sweet Lord above today that it is not possible to literally die of embarrassment. :laugh:

Ducky

On the Ice
This is probably off tangent, but I'm wondering if Hanyu fans attending Cup of China are allowed to bring Pooh bears to throw on the ice? Is Hanyu himself allowed to bring his usual Pooh tissue box?

Surely, China wouldn't use its economic clout to strip a non-citizen of their favorite tissue box or free speech by threatening to pull out of the ISU.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Confession: I'm watching another Russian ballet documentary. After I promised not to get addicted to the stuff last time. Which was the second time I had promised that. :drama:

One of the documentaries had focused on a prima ballerina named Anna Shcherbakova, and at first I was like "The same as the skater :eek:". Then I learned that Shcherbakova is a pretty common surname. And of course there are a million Annas in Russia. So that was internally embarrassing.

On a completely unrelated note, my crush wore pink tennis shoes today and for some absolutely ludicrous reason my brain decided to consider it 'cute' :bang: Stupid, stupid brain chemicals

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Is China boycotting Disney or Pooh?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Maybe all the Poohs will just have to wear pants and be panted-Poohs. They'd still be recognizable, even with pants.

I'm not sure if tissue boxes require pants, but probably something could be arranged if they do. In fact, it's probably easier to make pants for a tissue box than for a teddy bear, given its simpler shape.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My mom is watching Moulin Rouge in the next room. I heard "Come What May" and I thought about Tessa and Scott's FD from the Olympics.

Ducky

On the Ice
Maybe all the Poohs will just have to wear pants and be panted-Poohs. They'd still be recognizable, even with pants.

I'm not sure if tissue boxes require pants, but probably something could be arranged if they do. In fact, it's probably easier to make pants for a tissue box than for a teddy bear, given its simpler shape.

Yeah the pants aren’t the problem. I suppose some intrepid fans could throw some photos of Xi Jinping since it’s basically the same thing.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yeah the pants aren’t the problem. I suppose some intrepid fans could throw some photos of Xi Jinping since it’s basically the same thing.

You mean Panted Pooh would be banned because of the existence of Pantless Pooh? That hardly seems fair!