Random Confessions | Page 163 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I have way too many cat-collecting games (four) downloaded on my phone right now. Things skating withdrawal does to you :drama:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm kind of depressed about this whole situation. I have very high risk at catching virus at work, I can't meet up with friends because of it and all sports are being called off (rightly so), so I don't even have any kind of distractaion from this situation by watching it. And my cold is getting worse. People are getting crazy. My parents couldn't buy bread today, because by 10 a.m there was none. And normally they were buying around 1 p.m with no problem. People are acting like Apocalypse is coming, even though all supermarkets, shops with food and sanitary products will be open... Anyway, stay at home if you can, so that people who can't, will be safer, please.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just got back from Sam's Club (a warehouse club type shopping) and am so disgusted. I'm sorry, no one needs (2) 32 packs of toilet tissue. And people were barking because the limit was 2. Worse yet, a man right near me was coughing without covering his cough. I was so frustrated I screamed at him "Cover your mouth!" The best place for me DEFINITELY is at home. Total craziness.

Stay safe Cathlen. Virtual hug to you. :ghug:

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
@cathlen:

I know there isn't a lot that you can do at the moment, especially with your cold getting worse. How about these things (random suggestions - obviously don't know anything about you! :) )

- Make a playlist of all films/shows you wanted to watch but never managed to watch (and then watch them! ;) )
- Re-decorating the flat or doing something else creative
- Home-workouts on your better days: Doesn't even have to be something strenuous, just go for some stretches and balance exercises - that's what I do when I'm half sick but can't keep my feet still!
- Have a long phone/voicechat with someone you always wanted to catch up with but never did
- Get that long overdue sleep catchup!

Sending a virtual (desinfected!) hug over to you!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
@cathlen:

I know there isn't a lot that you can do at the moment, especially with your cold getting worse. How about these things (random suggestions - obviously don't know anything about you! :) )

- Make a playlist of all films/shows you wanted to watch but never managed to watch (and then watch them! ;) )
- Home-workouts on your better days: Doesn't even have to be something strenuous, just go for some stretches and balance exercises - that's what I do when I'm half sick but can't keep my feet still!
- Have a long phone/voicechat with someone you always wanted to catch up with but never did

Will definitely do that sleep catch up :) And thank you for all advices!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
@cathlen:

There's also the to read pile so many of us have (and if you don't, the Internet Archive has many many books for you to create one :)

And any old TV shows you wanted to see but never did may now be on youtube (I found 200!!! episodes of the British show Time Team and downloaded them, they will keep me occupied....)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Will definitely do that sleep catch up :) And thank you for all advices!

I recently bought an adult coloring book and a new set of gel pens. I think I'll finally have a chance to use it tomorrow. Don't know if you're into coloring, but it can be very relaxing.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I walked to my local co op yesterday to get some essentials...

Coffee, Red Wine and Chocolate. I know what I'll want if I'm stuck at my house.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm kind of depressed about this whole situation. I have very high risk at catching virus at work, I can't meet up with friends because of it and all sports are being called off (rightly so), so I don't even have any kind of distractaion from this situation by watching it. And my cold is getting worse. People are getting crazy. My parents couldn't buy bread today, because by 10 a.m there was none. And normally they were buying around 1 p.m with no problem. People are acting like Apocalypse is coming, even though all supermarkets, shops with food and sanitary products will be open... Anyway, stay at home if you can, so that people who can't, will be safer, please.

I am so sorry :(

I can relate, people are going CRAZY there. It makes me rather annoyed than panicky, but still. Paradoxically, WJC trip kind of strengthen my mindset toward the virus and the whole manic situation - I am aware and cautious, but totally not scared/panicking. With Worlds cancelled, this was possibly the best (although hazardous in a way) decision I took. Now, I have at least memories and photos to occupy myself in sad moments.

Please try to distract yourself: by music, watching movies/shows/skating/YT clips, spring cleaning activity, re-decorating your space...As for me, crafts REALLY help. Now, I have quite a few crafts to finish that were supposed to travel with me to Montreal. It is a distraction, with some sad element to it, but a distraction nonetheless.

Sending hugs!!!:ghug:

Ducky

On the Ice
I walked to my local co op yesterday to get some essentials...

Coffee, Red Wine and Chocolate. I know what I'll want if I'm stuck at my house.

Ha I'm having a half case of wine delivered to my apartment today.

Zaki

On the Ice
Confession: I've been struggling with a couple of anxiety attacks the last 7 days.

What I want to do now is to find some good movies to watch (even in English or French to improve my language skill) and drink the last cup of tea I have at home. ^^

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hugs to you, Zaki. :ghug:

I want to say a big Yes! to all the ways people have listed to cope with the restrictions. I've gotten my adult coloring book and markers out, and I've had a box of yarn and knitting needles looking at me for weeks. I may knit a very one-dimensional scarf. Doing something useful or beautiful with your hands really does lift the spirits. Also, seeing progress and knowing "I did that." Braid someone's hair! Bake a great loaf of bread.

The last time I re-took up knitting (years ago), I was recovering from surgery and couldn't concentrate my mind on reading. So I got some audiobooks and listened while I knitted. I donated 10" squares to a homeless center for making blankets.

The audibooks were great. I can recommend (unabridged) Ron Chernow's bio, Alexander Hamilton. That's the book that inspired Lin-Manuel Miranda to write Hamilton. Also John Adams. Hearing the dangers, trials and triumphs of the 18th century is helpful for perspective, and also uplifting.

Someone (sorry, can't remember who) posted a few days ago that as an introvert, they recommended embracing the imposed quiet. I like to think of making this a Restoring Time. Oh, and there are lots of interesting FS video lists/links going up around here. I'm not really as perky as I sound. Sorry, I can't help it. But other friends' suggestions have helped me, so ....

Take care of yourself, everyone! :ghug:

Ducky

On the Ice
And Trudeau just said that Canada is closing their border to all non-citizens or permanent residents.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Anzac Day - probably the most important day in the Australian collective calendar - has been hit.

Commemoration services in most states have been cancelled, the others are considering scaling down (but will probably cancel). Some of the dawn services will go ahead but without the public, which sounds utterly eerie.

Given that most veterans are older and therefore the risk is too great, I don't think anyone is surprised, but I know and am fond of some old blokes who will be devastated to lose it...

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
As a retiree I would like nothing better than staying at home riding this out. I live in a relatively unpopulated country setting but it is no guarantee of safety. Have been in touch with close family and friends who are out in the working world in large cities, urging them to follow guidelines for safety and health.. most are sensible and doing what's necessary but this is still a frightening time. Most of my daily routine normally involves animal care/feeding at my house; my sister had spinal fusion surgery February 20 and is healing nicely moving toward full recovery but has been in alot of pain.. cannot (still) BLT (bend, lift, twist). She has a small farm and guess who takes care of ALL four-foots some claws, etc... I am up before dawn, do my own chores, then down at her house working til noon, back home to do more chores at home, then back at her house to bed everyone down including my own late evening... it is a whirlwind schedule and meals are on the go. We are locked into doing essentials only.. so vet visits and other secondary stuff is on hold.. my BIL is in a wheelchair which limits them both so I help him with essentials too tho he has medical support on a daily basis. Occasionally he will ask the impossible .. now I am patient but there is a limit: when he asked me to retrieve the peeps from the top shelf of the pantry I was less than charitable... he did get them eventually..:biggrin:
My only indulgence now is chocolate, pinot noir, and green tea with lemon.. however, my sister told me recently that they would like me to be the DESIGNATED SHOPPER for the 3 of us until the virus scare abates!! Well that just about does it... :curse: Maybe, like Alice, I will disappear down a rabbit hole.. never to return. .:agree2:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I kinda feel like I’ve been training my whole life for this “Social Distancing” thing and am gonna be really good at it ;)

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Someone (sorry, can't remember who) posted a few days ago that as an introvert, they recommended embracing the imposed quiet.

Lol, I'm an introvert, and I don't like quiet. I like noise and being in a big crowd but not talking to anyone. :laugh:

I'm just glad my favorite bakery seems to be doing well despite everything. (knocking wood)

EDIT 4/13: Okay, apparently the friend who told me I was an introvert had the wrong definition. I just came across the right definition. I'm definitely an extrovert. Embrace the quiet? How do I do that when THE QUIET IS TRYIN' TO STRANGLE ME? :drama:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
And Trudeau just said that Canada is closing their border to all non-citizens or permanent residents.

Per the CBC story
Exceptions will be in place for U.S. citizens, diplomats, crew and immediate family members of citizens

I believe I read that the US citizen exemption may be temporary.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lol, I'm an introvert, and I don't like quiet. I like noise and being in a big crowd but not talking to anyone. :laugh:

I know what you mean! People around that I don't know. But big crowds aren't for me any more.

As a retiree I would like nothing better than staying at home riding this out. I live in a relatively unpopulated country setting but it is no guarantee of safety. Have been in touch with close family and friends who are out in the working world in large cities, urging them to follow guidelines for safety and health.. most are sensible and doing what's necessary but this is still a frightening time. Most of my daily routine normally involves animal care/feeding at my house; my sister had spinal fusion surgery February 20 and is healing nicely moving toward full recovery but has been in alot of pain.. cannot (still) BLT (bend, lift, twist). She has a small farm and guess who takes care of ALL four-foots some claws, etc... I am up before dawn, do my own chores, then down at her house working til noon, back home to do more chores at home, then back at her house to bed everyone down including my own late evening... it is a whirlwind schedule and meals are on the go. We are locked into doing essentials only.. so vet visits and other secondary stuff is on hold.. my BIL is in a wheelchair which limits them both so I help him with essentials too tho he has medical support on a daily basis. Occasionally he will ask the impossible .. now I am patient but there is a limit: when he asked me to retrieve the peeps from the top shelf of the pantry I was less than charitable... he did get them eventually..:biggrin:
My only indulgence now is chocolate, pinot noir, and green tea with lemon.. however, my sister told me recently that they would like me to be the DESIGNATED SHOPPER for the 3 of us until the virus scare abates!! Well that just about does it... :curse: Maybe, like Alice, I will disappear down a rabbit hole.. never to return. .:agree2:

Golly. That's a lot. I'll be thinking of you, and take care.