Random Confessions | Page 168 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
A dog left in a hot car... people can and do break car windows if a dog has been left in a closed vehicle in 90+ degree heat.. pets and children have died from such negligence on the part of parents and dog owners.. this person left the windows tightly closed and the engine running to support the air conditioning to keep the dog cool, left water for her to drink and left the music on so passersby would not need to rescue her by breaking the windows... it was done with conviction and purpose and a bit of humor so thought I would share (though I think the dog owners were in the bar next door to the restaurant. :palmf:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have to admit that I am finding it hard to get my head around the idea that a thread about a top skater changing coaches that was only started 24 hours ago has already had over 10,000 more views and nearly 4 times more posts than a thread about the death of a top skater (who was only a few years older than the other skater, and was from the same city) that was started 2 weeks ago.

I suppose it is a reflection of how much of a following Russian Ladies skating has, and how small a following Pairs skating has.

But, seeing how active the discussion about Alyona is does make me worry about the effects that having this much attention on them has on the Russian teenagers. We have to think of the mental health of these young girls. And that is all the more pertinent given what happened with Katia.

CaroLiza_fan

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Got bored and read someone's online story about a world where alien contact occurs in 2001, which had some figure skating tidbits from a pretty casual fan. Not sure what to think of them.

(nothing changes in 2002 but they don't get rid of 6.0, 2006 is almost the same but Z/Z land the throw 4s and upset T/M, 2010 ladies' event gets hit with the massive judging scandal that brings in IJS and ends Mao Asada's career early, Zijun Li wins 2013 worlds, and 2014 has a ladies' event with just as contentuous results but a different podium.)

Also I think the person who wrote this forgot about Carolina Kostner, Kanako Murakami becomes an actress, and there's a massive magical girl craze (so Zhenya gets a competitive Sailor Moon program).

Ducky

On the Ice
Finally found a home for a piece of microfiction that I've been submitting for over a year now, and the new issue of the online lit journal, No Contact, went live today.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Last month, the BBC showed the new series of "Great Continental Railway Journeys". In all the previous series, Michael Portillo was using a 1913 guide book. But for this series, he had something more modern - the 1936 edition of the same guide book!

Yesterday, I watched the third episode, where he was travelling around Germany. He started in Berlin; then went to Potsdam; then Weimar; then Nuremburg; and ended his journey in Stuttgart.

Bearing in mind that the guide book was the 1936 edition, and Berlin was hosting a Summer Olympics that year, it was unsurprising that Michael visited some of the venues used in the Games. But, I was very disappointed that the journey did not include a stop in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. After all, it also hosted an Olympics in 1936.

Admittedly, the Olympia-Kunsteisstadion where the figure skating was held has been rebuilt a couple of times since 1936. But, the Olympiaschanze complex would have been a good place for him to visit. Yes, the main features - the ski jumping hills - have been rebuilt in the past 15 years. But there is still a lot of original stuff there that we could have been shown.

If you want to see the Germany episode, I am afraid that the original version expired from the iPlayer last night. But, the audio description / sign language version is available until Saturday 3rd October.

I am really looking forward to watching the next episode (Series 7, Episode 4), as Michael is travelling around Sicily in it. My online best friend is from Sicily, so it will be nice to see some of her homeland.

The original version is available on iPlayer until Monday 28th September. The AD / SL version is available until Saturday 10th October.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thanks to the new emoticons, I have discovered the answer to a question that I never knew I wanted to know the answer to!

Q: What is the difference between a geek and a nerd?

A: A nerd wears bigger glasses!

:geek: Geek
🤓 Nerd

CaroLiza_fan

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Congratulations!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

Hope mother and baby are doing well.

Now your work as a good Auntie begins: indoctrinating the baby into the joys of figure skating! :biggrin:

In all seriousness, don't worry. I know you'll be a great Auntie! ;) :)

All the best to all of your now expanded family.

CaroLiza_fan
they're both fine, thanks :D she had just something like 10 hours labor and people say she had it easy (it may take up untill 30 hours, or so they say 😯 ) my brother in law sent me a photo...right now the baby looks like an old chestnut :LOL:. what do you say? do i start making a playlist for his lullabies? do you think Cannibal Corpse and Disturbed are suitable? maybe better some classics...The Doors, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple :LOL:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
they're both fine, thanks :D she had just something like 10 hours labor and people say she had it easy (it may take up untill 30 hours, or so they say 😯 )

I just don't know how you girls do it. I just cannot imagine what it must be like going through that for even 1 hour, never mind for 10 hours or 30 hours. :eek:

Women really are remarkable. :bow: :bow: :bow:

my brother in law sent me a photo...right now the baby looks like an old chestnut :LOL:.

An old 🌰 ?! I don't know if that's an improvement on :alien: or not !!! 😆

what do you say? do i start making a playlist for his lullabies? do you think Cannibal Corpse and Disturbed are suitable?

Well, listening to the Disturbed version of "The Sound Of Silence" would certainly get the baby ready for being a figure skating fan!!! 😆

maybe better some classics...The Doors, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple :LOL:

I DEFINITELY approve of your suggestion of introducing the baby to The Doors, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. We need another little rocker in the world! :rock:

But can I add in Queen, The Eagles, T-Rex and Meatloaf? :biggrin:

Yep, rock playlists for babies should be the next big thing! :agree:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I just don't know how you girls do it. I just cannot imagine what it must be like going through that for even 1 hour, never mind for 10 hours or 30 hours. :eek:

Women really are remarkable. :bow: :bow: :bow:

An old 🌰 ?! I don't know if that's an improvement on :alien: or not !!! 😆

Well, listening to the Disturbed version of "The Sound Of Silence" would certainly get the baby ready for being a figure skating fan!!! 😆

I DEFINITELY approve of your suggestion of introducing the baby to The Doors, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. We need another little rocker in the world! :rock:

But can I add in Queen, The Eagles, T-Rex and Meatloaf? :biggrin:

Yep, rock playlists for babies should be the next big thing! :agree:

CaroLiza_fan
-once the loaf is in the oven it has to come out somehow, you have no choice :LOL: i haven't talk to my sister yet, i let you know what she has to say about it :LOL:

-chestnut without shell, i should have been more specific :LOL:

- don't forget the ladies, i don't want him to give a damn about his bad reputation:LOL:

-
thank you @iluvtodd

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
-once the loaf is in the oven it has to come out somehow, you have no choice :LOL: i haven't talk to my sister yet, i let you know what she has to say about it :LOL:

Oh, I love you! Only an Italian could bring a conversation about giving birth around to food! 😆

-chestnut without shell, i should have been more specific :LOL:

Ah, a conker! Boys, but that takes me back to my school days! :biggrin: Sorry, there aren't any icons for them. :disapp:

- don't forget the ladies, i don't want him to give a damn about his bad reputation:LOL:

Oops. :slink: Sorry, I was writing that message in a hurry in between motorbike races, so didn't want the list to get too long. :p

How's about Blondie, Evanesence, Paramour (all mixed, but fronted by female singers); Tina Turner, Suzi Quattro, Kate Bush (as opposed to "Kate Push", which is my pet name for Ice Dancer Ekaterina Pushkash), and guitarist Orianthi Panagaris (been trying for years to find out whether her heritage is Cypriot or Greek, without any success).

By the way, I just found out Suzi's full surname is "Quattrocchi". Bet you that gave you a giggle! (Especially since she doesn't!)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I just had a poignant moment.

I am currently putting together the SP start order tables for the Skate America Predictions Thread. For handiness, I am using my Word Document from last year as my template. And I got a lump in my throat when I saw this:

Warm-Up Group 2
5​
Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSOR
AUS​

That was the last time we saw Katia in competition. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hard to believe it's been a year.

We'll never forget you, Katia.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Quarantine sucks.. So many people are adopting pets for the first time and that’s a good thing!
I have lost three of my best buddies this month
My Beagle Charli, 14, died on the 2nd, my cat Rufus, also age 14, on the 11th and Loki, my Papillion, age 16, last Thursday the 22nd. All succumbed to failed health and illness. Have had animals all my life and watched them come and go but it never gets easier.
Two cats and one dog remain but the house seems so quiet. I am determined not to replace them since I am of a certain advanced age and do not want to leave any behind should something happen to me. May foster but not for a while... when a pet passes, I choose a song that fits their personality and idiosyncrasies to remember them whenever I hear the song
There are two full moons this month... a rarity. Their souls are among the stars now

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hello my name is Moose and I turn into a rageaholic when I try to interact in the Russian Ladies Thread.

It's been 15 minutes since my last meltdown and I fear I'm going to get a warning.

What makes you guys unreasonably furious? 😞