Random Confessions

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
i'm going to judge you anyway, so go on :LOL:

OK. Here goes.

Last weekend, I watched a film. And the whole way through, I was trying to work out who it was that was playing the leading character. I recognised the voice, but I didn't recognise the face. And it was really annoying me. And when we got to the credits and I found out who it was, I near died with embarrassment.

It was George Clooney. :palmf: :slink:

Well, in my defence, I had never seen George Clooney with facial hair before. And just having a moustache (as he did in this film) can really change how somebody looks. Just take Eric Knowles. When he took over presenting "Bargain Hunt" a couple of years ago, I knew he was an expert on the "Antiques Roadshow". But, it was only when he showed us an old photo of himself last week that I realised that he was actually the guy with the moustache!

Eric Knowles 2020 (no moustache)
Eric Knowles 1997 (with moustache)

Getting back to George, all the things I have watched in recent years that he has been in have been cartoons. Which is why I recognised his voice. Looking through his filmography, the last time I watched a live action film that he was in was around 15 years ago. (Although I saw the "Spy Kids" films in the cinéma when they were released, the last time I watched him was when his earlier film "Three Kings" was on TV a few years later). So, he was not only clean shaven the last time I saw him, but he was a lot younger.

George Clooney 1999 ("Three Kings", no moustache)
George Clooney 2003 ("Spy Kids 3D: Game Over", no moustache)
George Clooney 2014 ("The Monuments Men", with moustache)

Incidentally, the film I am talking about that I watched last week was "The Monuments Men" (2014). And it was great! :biggrin:

Oh, and before you start despairing, I am not a complete lost cause, as I knew Hugh Bonneville and John Goodman as soon as I saw them. But for the rest of the cast, nope.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Monuments Men was outstanding.. an ensemble cast, one could be forgiven for not recognizing certain actors ... the characters they played took center stage..
The many facets of Sir Thomas Moore are well documented in film, the best and most close to reality being Wolf Hall .. In A Man for All Seasons he is seen as hero almost without flaw. I saw the film in theater when it was first released and that image of the man stayed with me for decades up to the point when, on my first trip to London I stood on the small brass plaque in the floor of Westminster noting the spot Moore sat during his trial.. gave me shivers. Yet, A Man for All Seasons contains the Devil And The Law speech .. not sure if Moore ever spoke the words but they are inspired..

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Monuments Men was outstanding.. an ensemble cast, one could be forgiven for not recognizing certain actors ... the characters they played took center stage..

Hugh Bonneville is an actor that I always recognise, ever since I watched the BBC series "Bonekickers". I even have one of his lines from it listed in the "Favourite Quotes" section of my Facebook profile:

"Don't mess with me - I'm an archaeologist!"

And as for John Goodman, who wouldn't recognise Fred Flintstone! :biggrin:

I really should have recognised Cate Blanchett as well, though.

I am awful at putting names to faces. Whenever I watch "Pointless" and they have a picture round of famous people, I am hopeless. Although, I still reckon that they deliberately select really bad photos of the people, so that the players don't recognise them, and hence there is less chance of having to give money away. (It is the BBC, after all!)

But, I am getting good at identifying people in films from 60 or 70 years ago! ;) :biggrin:

That is my problem. Apart from children's films and films that form part of a series that I have watched since I was a youngster ("James Bond", "Star Trek", "Star Wars", "Transformers"), it is very rare that I watch films that were made in the past 10 years or so. Films nowadays are too reliant on wowing you with special effects, and that isn't my taste. I want proper stories, with proper characters, and preferrably a comic element. That is "comic" as in "comedy"; not "comic" as in "comic books". (Oh, don't start me on the way that comic book films have taken over in recent years! :drama: )

The many facets of Sir Thomas Moore are well documented in film, the best and most close to reality being Wolf Hall .. In A Man for All Seasons he is seen as hero almost without flaw.

That is something that always amuses me - when you watch multiple films on the same subject, and the characters are portrayed in different ways. In the early months of the pandemic, there was one time when I watched three films about Cleopatra in the space of a couple of weeks. There was “Caesar And Cleopatra” (1945), “Serpent Of The Nile” (1953), and “Antony And Cleopatra” (1972). And it was amazing how the personalities of 3 main characters differed from one film to the next. For the record, Vivien Leigh was my favourite Cleo. (So sad about the things that were going on in her real life at the time of filming, which led to her portrayal of Cleo changing dramatically mid-film).

Thanks for the recomendation for "Wolf Hall". I had a look and at the moment you have to pay £13 to Sky to watch it. :eek: But, I will keep an eye out for it being repeated somewhere (there have been so many people complaining over the years that the BBC repeats too many things that now they tend not to repeat anything. Which is a real shame, when you consider how many good things they have shown over the years).

I saw the film in theater when it was first released and that image of the man stayed with me for decades up to the point when, on my first trip to London I stood on the small brass plaque in the floor of Westminster noting the spot Moore sat during his trial.. gave me shivers.

Cool that you got to see the plaque. I visited the Houses Of Parliament on a school trip when I was 11. We did go into the Westminster Hall, but I can't remember what exactly we were shown (it was nearly 25 years ago, after all!) Here's a random confession - I have a real thing against standing on plaques, gravestones, etc. that are on the ground. So, you can imagine how I felt when we went into Westminster Abbey and the whole floor was gravestones! We gathered around the Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier for a talk, and then were allowed to wander around a bit. But I didn't go any further, as I felt uncomfortable walking on gravestones. I know, I'm odd. And given that I haven't been back to Westminster since, I missed out on seeing things because of it.

Yet, A Man for All Seasons contains the Devil And The Law speech .. not sure if Moore ever spoke the words but they are inspired..

When watching that scene, I too had my doubts as to whether he actually said it. Let's face it, who would know what anybody said in small private meetings like that back then. But, it made a good scene!

That's the problem with any film made about real people. If you keep to the things that just happened in public, it doesn't leave the filmmakers with much to work on. They need private things to flesh out the story. But, it is nigh on impossible to find out what happened in private, so the writers need to make it up. And then you get situations like we are currently getting where people are complaining about how the members of our current Royal Family are being portrayed in fictional scenes in these series and films that are around at the moment.

I can tell you something - I am going to be keeping my eyes out for more films about Henry VIII and his wives. As I said, I didn't learn about this when I was at school. All I really knew was the rhyme about what happened the wives ("Divorced, Beheaded, Died. Divorced, Beheaded, Survived"). I knew Catherine Of Aragon was his first wife, but I couldn't have told you where the rest of them fitted in. But, after watching those films, I now have it registered in my head that Anne Boleyn was the second wife, and Jane Seymour was probably the third. (Boys, but she didn't look like she was around for quite that long when she was in "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman"! :drama: )

And on that note, I think I'd better go. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Love your post!! I am American so what do I know of British history apart from interpretations of authors and actors but that’s better than nothing I suppose LOL.. but you are absolutely spot on in noting such interpretations are open to the broad spectrum and I have my favorites. Wolf Hall “seems” to me to adhere most closely to it’s time, it’s characters portrayed quietly, warts and all.. it mainly focuses on Thomas Cromwell, played masterfully by Mark Rylance; his political influence is everywhere, manipulating the King and court with stunning grace and rapier deftness he brings down Thomas Moore, Anne Boleyn, and engineers Henry’s marriage to Jane Seymour. Did it really happen that way? Who knows but historical circumstantial evidence points to some truth. And, despite his duplicity, Cromwell was likeable and given his family connections or lack thereof, his modest upbringing, intelligence, and fondness for Wolsey one can understand his motives... in Wolf Hall. Compare that to the one-dimensional portrayal of Cromwell in A Man for All Seasons .. a waste of a fine actor imv as Leo McKern is one of my favorite actors of all time (think Rumpole of the Bailey) so there you go! One anecdote regarding saving art treasures from Nazi looting during WWII - not in The Monuments Men - not even sure how true it is.. takes place shortly after the war during the massive undertaking to restore hidden treasures to their proper homes. An American soldier, charged with returning Charlemagne’s remains, stops the truck, approaches his commanding officer and says: “I’ve got the bones. Where do you want me to put them?” :palmf:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Wolf Hall is based on Hilary Mantel's wonderful novel of the same name (i recomend it), the show didn't take any major liberty from the novel. she did a lot of research and it shows, anyway many major Tudor Historians agree that the events and the reasons behind them happened that way (except the sentimental part between Cromwell and Mary Boleyn, that was made up by Mantel). that said i'm a medievist, so Tudors era doesn't fall under my field of expertise, but as an historian i can say that based on documents (yes, they still exist, especially for major events) and studying the period, the mentality of people, the culture that created it, the archeological findings, you can reconstruct an event and an era with good aproximation; of course you can't be sure of what Henry VIII was thinking on February 3rd 1509, unless he, or people close to him, left something written about it, (wich can happen and happens a lot, we have a lot of diaries and letters from kings, ministers, ambassadors and other courtiers) but you can get very close to it. sorry this subject triggers me a lot :LOL:

Last edited:

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wolf Hall is based on Hilary Mantel's wonderful novel of the same name (i recomend it), the show didn't take any major liberty from the novel. she did a lot of research and it shows, anyway many major Tudor Historians agree that the events and the reasons behind them happened that way (except the sentimental part between Cromwell and Mary Boleyn, that was made up by Mantel). that said i'm a medievist, so Tudors era doesn't fall under my field of expertise, but as an historian i can say that based on documents (yes, they still exist, especially for major events) and studying the period, the mentality of people, the culture that created it, the archeological findings, you can reconstruct an event and an era with good aproximation; of course you can't be sure of what Henry VIII was thinking on February 3rd 1509, unless he, or people close to him, left something written about it, (wich can happen and happens a lot, we have a lot of diaries and letters from kings, ministers, ambassadors and other courtiers) but you can get very close to it. sorry this subject triggers me a lot :LOL:
Thank you!! So so appreciate the insights... I refer to author conjectured dialogue and motives of major players surrounding historical events rather than events themselves, the most notable of course corroborated by primary historical sources.. in this day and age we are indeed lucky to have such wonderful interpretations to enjoy.. I also loved The White Queen, though much more dramatic license is evident I enjoyed the history played out through the melodrama...
The medieval period must be a difficult field of study but fascinating.. i have read Deborah Harkness “Witches” which abounds with alchemical references .. I enjoy the history as much as the fantasy in her novels but Mantel’s work is a stand-alone and a cut above..
Again, many thanks!

Last edited:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Thank you!! So so appreciate the insights... I refer to author conjectured dialogue and motives of major players surrounding historical events rather than events themselves, the most notable of course corroborated by primary historical sources.. in this day and age we are indeed lucky to have such wonderful interpretations to enjoy.. I also loved The White Queen, though much more dramatic license is evident I enjoyed the history played out through the melodrama...
The medieval period must be a difficult field of study but fascinating.. i have read Deborah Harkness “Witches” which abounds with alchemical references .. I enjoy the history as much as the fantasy in her novels but Mantel’s work is a stand-alone and a cut above..
Again, many thanks!
don't get me started on Philippa Gregory :LOL: but she is entertaining i give you that (i actually enjoyed her novels and the shows based on her novels, but i had to shut off the historian in me :LOL:).:unsure: this could be a confession, i've read a lot of Philippa Gregory's novels :LOL:.

a fun fact about primary sources (and again not my field at all): Louis XVI had a journal, on July 14th 1789 he wrote "nothing happened" :LOL:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've just had the most epically horrible week and it's really affected me.

It all started on Monday with losing my umbrella on the bus - it's an umbrella I really like so I really wanted to get it back, so the next day in the morning I went to the Bus Depot to see if it had been handed in, and on the way there I dropped my phone, which I've done like once a day since I got it, but this time the screen cracked.

This phone is like 4 months old, so I tried to get it repaired but it's also a cheapish phone under $200 so it's not worth it, so I was left with either putting up with this huge crack or buy a whole new phone. In the end I bought the exact same phone.

Oh and my umbrella was never handed in.

Then on Wednesday we had this training session, a training session where the Manager of the library where I work was in attendance. Suffice to say I totally forgot she was there and acted like my usual self.

So this morning my immediate supervisor pulls me aside and without naming names mentions that I've been coming off super unprofessional in meetings. You can imagine my humiliation...way to look like a loser, me!

Just when I thought it couldn't be any worse.an extremely ill-advised thing I did a back in December came back and bit me in the butt. Apparently someone said something I don't know who and all I can think to do is deny it happened even though I'm the worst liar in history.
So my supervisor takes me aside AGAIN to tell me off and I'm steadily feeling more and more horrible, but I almost manage to get through it and then the worst thing of all.

I burst into tears and become utterly hysterical, I'm so humiliated and I feel so stupid and terrified that I'm going to lose my job which I've worked so hard to get and I've completely ruined my life with my lack of self-control and foresight, what am I going to tell my parents? What will happen to my apartment that I bought? I can't afford the mortgage with no job!

You never supposed to cry in the workplace, it's the most unprofessional thing in the world! And here I am wailing like a baby and wishing the earth would swallow me and my supervisor is staring at me like I've lost my mind because of course I'm not getting fired and I need to calm down.

Eventually I do and go back to my desk and continue my work, thankfully I didn't have a desk shift to do today.

What an utter nightmare of a week! And meanwhile I have to fix this error I made on the catalogue that's going to take literally hours to put right. It's still not completely fixed :(

Meanwhile we're a person down for the next two weeks so my work load has just increased 50%. Ugh.

All this has of course left me feeling very negative and it's spilled over into the board and I've managed to make a complete fool of myself in various threads and I don't know if I have anything meaningful to contribute here :(

And that's my tale of woe.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
don't get me started on Philippa Gregory :LOL: but she is entertaining i give you that (i actually enjoyed her novels and the shows based on her novels, but i had to shut off the historian in me :LOL:).:unsure: this could be a confession, i've read a lot of Philippa Gregory's novels :LOL:.

a fun fact about primary sources (and again not my field at all): Louis XVI had a journal, on July 14th 1789 he wrote "nothing happened" :LOL:
:palmf::rofl:

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States

It all started on Monday with losing my umbrella on the bus - it's an umbrella I really like so I really wanted to get it back, so the next day in the morning I went to the Bus Depot to see if it had been handed in, and on the way there I dropped my phone, which I've done like once a day since I got it, but this time the screen cracked.

This phone is like 4 months old, so I tried to get it repaired but it's also a cheapish phone under $200 so it's not worth it, so I was left with either putting up with this huge crack or buy a whole new phone. In the end I bought the exact same phone.

Then on Wednesday we had this training session, a training session where the Manager of the library where I work was in attendance. Suffice to say I totally forgot she was there and acted like my usual self.

So this morning my immediate supervisor pulls me aside and without naming names mentions that I've been coming off super unprofessional in meetings. You can imagine my humiliation...way to look like a loser, me!

Just when I thought it couldn't be any worse.an extremely ill-advised thing I did a back in December came back and bit me in the butt. Apparently someone said something I don't know who and all I can think to do is deny it happened even though I'm the worst liar in history.
So my supervisor takes me aside AGAIN to tell me off and I'm steadily feeling more and more horrible, but I almost manage to get through it and then the worst thing of all.

I burst into tears and become utterly hysterical, I'm so humiliated and I feel so stupid and terrified that I'm going to lose my job which I've worked so hard to get and I've completely ruined my life with my lack of self-control and foresight, what am I going to tell my parents? What will happen to my apartment that I bought? I can't afford the mortgage with no job!

You never supposed to cry in the workplace, it's the most unprofessional thing in the world! And here I am wailing like a baby and wishing the earth would swallow me and my supervisor is staring at me like I've lost my mind because of course I'm not getting fired and I need to calm down.

Eventually I do and go back to my desk and continue my work, thankfully I didn't have a desk shift to do today.

What an utter nightmare of a week! And meanwhile I have to fix this error I made on the catalogue that's going to take literally hours to put right. It's still not completely fixed :(

Meanwhile we're a person down for the next two weeks so my work load has just increased 50%. Ugh.

All this has of course left me feeling very negative and it's spilled over into the board and I've managed to make a complete fool of myself in various threads and I don't know if I have anything meaningful to contribute here :(

OMG! But who among us has not had weeks just like this... take it from a retired person who looks back and laughs but this stuff is not funny at the time. Don’t worry about us— your friends on GS.. we have your back. So, “screw your courage to the sticking place” — Take a DEEP breath, do what needs doing; like going thru the eye of a needle but you will persevere. Most important: Promise yourself a reward when you come through on the other side, something fun delectable relaxing because you deserve it!! And that umbrella.. usually when something you like is lost, another even better rises to take its place. Chin up!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

:ghug: i feel this is what you need right now ah! another thing, you're not your mistakes, everybody makes them because we're all humans, but we're all also more than just the mistakes we can possibly make. you're an amazing person and deserve all the love in this world. people who love you don't change their mind just because of something this stupid, the others...who cares about them? ah...and tellthese people who likes to talk behind your back that your italian friend isn't liking it at all:wink::devil:

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
tellthese people who likes to talk behind your back that your italian friend isn't liking it at all:wink::devil:
Well I'm sure they didn't do it with malicious intent at least I assume not.

another thing, you're not your mistakes, everybody makes them because we're all humans, but we're all also more than just the mistakes we can possibly make.
My supervisor said this too (she's really nice, I did put her in an awkward spot). But sometimes it's hard to remember, especially when you make so many mistakes in a row! Especially since the one that caused me to cry was like an obvious one involving social media, it was like "How did I not realise at the time that it was a dumb move?! Dude, where's my foresight?!'

In the light of a new day it's almost ridiculous how much bad luck I had...it was like sitcom proportions. 🤞 that it means I shall have a run of good luck now.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ahem now I come with a silly confession.

In the Russian Ladies thread (which I still sneak into - 🤫) there was a a discussion about death by stuffed plushie attack (long story) and someone asked if there were Plushy plushies.

I am unwilling to confess there, but I will here...

I actually made one a few years back after becoming a mad fan.

My sewing skills are basic at best so the resemblance isn't uncanny.

Brace yourselves..here he is...

Attachments

• IMG_20210207_101536_114.jpg
    IMG_20210207_101536_114.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 116

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

So sorry to hear that this has been one of those weeks for you.

The story about the umbrella was actually very timely, because earlier this week I watched a very funny film called "The Ladykillers" (1955). Don't worry, the title is very deceptive - it is actually a comedy about robbers. Anyway, one of the running themes was that the little old lady that they were staying with kept setting her umbrella down, and walking off without it. And she would have to go back for it. Anyway, towards the end of the film, she walks off without it again, and somebody goes running after her with it. And when he gives it to her, she says "no, you keep it. I never liked it anyway!" :laugh:

Seriously, I know what it is like to get attached to something, and then to lose it. You never know, it might appear eventually. But, it is best not to dwell on it.

The story about the phone struck a chord. Although I don't have a mobile phone (I've mentioned this a few times, but it is because a lot of them give me severe headaches), when I was at school I had this electronic personal organiser that I carried around all the time in my blazer's inside pocket. But, when I was in 6th Form, some of my friends decided to do a pile-on on me. And although the organiser was a clam shell design, the screen broke. The thing is, the organiser was pretty expensive. So, feeling guilty, they decided to clump together and buy me a replacement (the same model). And in the meantime, they gave me a piece of paper and a pencil! :laugh:

I can't actually remembered what happened the replacement. But, it's screen ended up broke as well.

Why, oh why, do they not make things with tougher screens that are harder to break?! Sure, it would make the device heavier, and there is has been an obsession in recent years with having things that are light. But, I'm sure most people would prefer to have a bit more weight in their pocket than having to spend a fortune on either a replacement screen or a replacement device!

I know it was embarassing, but don't feel bad about breaking down in front of your boss. When everything builds up like this, it needs to be released in some way. And better to burst into tears than to lash out at somebody.

OK, so you made a mistake that will take a lot of time and effort to rectify. But, we all make mistakes. At least this one can be rectified. And you will feel a real sense of achievement when you get it completed. So, think about the achevement at the end rather than the mistake at the start.

I think we have all been there at one time or another! ;) So, you're in good company!

:ghug: i feel this is what you need right now ah! another thing, you're not your mistakes, everybody makes them because we're all humans, but we're all also more than just the mistakes we can possibly make. you're an amazing person and deserve all the love in this world. people who love you don't change their mind just because of something this stupid, the others...who cares about them? ah...and tellthese people who likes to talk behind your back that your italian friend isn't liking it at all:wink::devil:

And as usual, elektra has put it better in fewer words! :laugh:

Moose, you've nothing to worry about now. Everybody knows that you don't mess with an Italian Mama! And especially not one from her part of the country! ;)

And she is not the only one looking out for you. You know I will always have your back.

In the Russian Ladies thread (which I still sneak into - 🤫) there was a a discussion about death by stuffed plushie attack (long story) and someone asked if there were Plushy plushies.

That is so cute!!!

Sorry, but I beg to differ. The resemblance IS uncanny!

Even if I hadn't already known that you were a mad fan of Plushenko's, I would have known instantly who it was. So, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your work! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Well done!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

CaroLiza_fan

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria

This post desperately needs the :eek2: reaction emoji. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Nah, you'll never be a villain. That's me! 🦹‍♂️

(Is it just me, or is this conversation in danger of becoming a series of cheesy chat up lines? :eek: )

Swiftly changing the subject, and with the massive selection of emoticons that we now have, I confess that I am a bit disappointed that there are male and female emoticons for 🦸‍♂️ Superman 🦸‍♀️ and for 🦹‍♂️ supervillains 🦹‍♀️ , but no emoticons for Spider-Man or Wonder Woman?

I had a hunt around, and there are actually no similar emoticons for either of them. So, I guess it is all down to copyright. Which is curious, because Superman and Wonder Woman are both DC Comics, yet one has an emoticon and the other doesn't. You would think they would both be under the same copyright rules. (For the record, Spider-Man is Marvel Comics).

Imagine how great it would be able to use an actual Spider-Man emoticon when discussing Boyangman!

🕷️ 🕸️

So, let's hope that DC and Marvel do the licensing agreements so that we can have a choice of superheroes! :biggrin:

(And this is coming from somebody that doesn't like the comic book based films that have taken over the box office in recent years! :drama: )

CaroLiza_fan