Random Confessions | Page 171 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, we absolutely could use a Spiderman emoticon for Boyang! These will have to do in the meantime! 🕷️🕸️ I had a a little Spiderman item for him that I wanted to throw on the ice @ Worlds in Montreal last year, but it never happened. :cry: I'm still holding on to it in hopes that we get to see him skate again (in person) before he retires for good.

A Wonder Woman emoticon for the talented & beautiful Gal Gadot? Yes!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yes, we absolutely could use a Spiderman emoticon for Boyang! These will have to do in the meantime! 🕷️🕸️ I had a a little Spiderman item for him that I wanted to throw on the ice @ Worlds in Montreal last year, but it never happened. :cry: I'm still holding on to it in hopes that we get to see him skate again (in person) before he retires for good.

Although I don't think sporting events should be happening during a pandemic, this is the one reason I feel disappointed when they get cancelled. For those fans that have missed out on an opportunity to see their favourites, and may not get the opportunity to see them again.

I am still kicking myself that I did not go to the 2011 Trophée de France or the 2012 Europeans in Sheffield.

A Wonder Woman emoticon for the talented & beautiful Gal Gadot? Yes!

Oh, I thought you would have been like me and automatically think of Lynda Carter when you think of "Wonder Woman".

But, I can't argue with what your description of Gal. She is gorgeous! :love: :love: :love:

I'm ashamed to admit that, after looking through her filmography, the only thing on the list that I have seen is a cartoon ("Ralph Breaks The Internet"). But, I am really looking forward to seeing how she portrays Cleopatra whenever it gets released. In the past year, I've seen Vivien Leigh, Elizabeth Taylor and Rhonda Fleming play her, so it will be interesting to see what Gal's version is like.

And I just loved Gal's reply to those people who were criticising her being chosen for the role rather than an Egyptian actress. "First of all, if you want to be true to the facts, then Cleopatra was Macedonian". You tell 'em, girl! :biggrin: :clap: :points:

Gotta love somebody who actually knows the history of the person they are going to play before they actually start working on it. ;)

That said, I thought everybody knew Cleopatra was from a Greek family. But, maybe I'm blinkered because I have long been interested in ancient Egypt.

CaroLiza_fan

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Random confession: After what happened at my recent outdoor skating session (I whined in detail over in the Lutz Corner, but suffice to say I couldn't even do the simplest exercises anymore) I signed up for core strength classes via zoom. The classes were advertised as a "gentle workout". Yeah, right.... I had the third class today and I anticipate that I will not be able to climb the stairs to our flat tomorrow due to my muscles aching so much. Anyway, the coach wants us to keep our webcams running during the workout so she can correct us, and even though we have super fast internet, I just pretend that my connection is so bad that I can't have my camera turned on. That way, when it gets too much, I just stop with the exercise repetitions, lie panting on my mat, and question all my life choices...

Amei

Record Breaker
Random confession: After what happened at my recent outdoor skating session (I whined in detail over in the Lutz Corner, but suffice to say I couldn't even do the simplest exercises anymore) I signed up for core strength classes via zoom. The classes were advertised as a "gentle workout". Yeah, right.... I had the third class today and I anticipate that I will not be able to climb the stairs to our flat tomorrow due to my muscles aching so much. Anyway, the coach wants us to keep our webcams running during the workout so she can correct us, and even though we have super fast internet, I just pretend that my connection is so bad that I can't have my camera turned on. That way, when it gets too much, I just stop with the exercise repetitions, lie panting on my mat, and question all my life choices...

Not all heroes wear capes, my cat has a tendency to park in front of the webcam for ab class

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
My latest confession is that I have been watching The Horror Channel every weekday for the past 5 weeks.

Those that have read my posts will know that I am squeemish at blood and gore and things like that. So, you are probably wondering why on Earth I would be watching The Horror Channel. Well, due of the watershed rules, they aren't able to show real horror shows and films during the day. So, they fill up their daytime schedules with sci-fi shows.

The reason I am watching The Horror Channel is that they started showing "Star Trek: Enterprise" from the start!!!

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

I am too enthusiastic about figure skating. And Star Trek.

Today, I wanted to research good socks for the future, as I'll get proper skates soon.

I googled for something way more interesting - iceskating spocks. :scratch3:

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/495466396478186443/

Spock was always my favourite character. And I was genuinely upset when Leonard Nimoy died a few years ago. (Wow! Really can't believe it will be 5 years at the end of this month! :shocked: )

Did you by any chance watch the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] of the new films ("Into Darkness") on Film4 tonight? I was planning to watch it LIVE (so to speak), but didn't manage to get tea over in time for it starting. But, I've taped it, and will hopefully get it watched in the next few days, before 4 Continents starts.

I enjoyed the first one when I saw it a few months ago, but you still can't beat the older films with the Original Series or Next Generation casts.

No, I usually don't watch TV, just Netflix or YT :D But my hubby and me are actually just going through all the shows as I hadn't watched most ST before. We watched TNG + films, Enterprise, Discovery, now we're busy with DS9 and Picard. Looking forward to Voyager as well!

I watched the "Original Series", "Next Generation", and "Voyager" back in the late nineties, and enjoyed them. For some reason, I didn't really get into "Deep Space 9". And I was away at Uni when "Enterprise" was on (you could only get a pretty bad terrestrial signal at the Halls Of Residence). But then I didn't watch any of the newer stuff until I spotted the first of the new films on the TV over Christmas. And I thought "well, I may as well give it a try to see what it's like". And it was actually quite good, so I have been waiting for the next one to appear. And now it has. :biggrin:

Nearly 20 years after it was first broadcast, I am now finally catching up on what I still tend to refer to as "the new series"!!! :p

Series 1 will finish on Monday night / Tuesday morning, with Series 2 starting straight away on Tuesday night / Wednesday morning.

So far, I have been enjoying teh series. Admittedly, it is bothering me how wooden Captain Archer is. But I think it is the case that the character is deliberately written that way, rather than Scott Bakula not being able to act (hey, if he couldn't act, he wouldn't have gone on to get the main role in "NCIS: New Orleans" as well!) So, I am quietly hopeful that he will lighten up as time goes on.

As somebody whose favourite character in the original series was Spock, I just love the way the series is developing the back-story of the Vulcans. And that we have a Vulcan as part of the main crew! :biggrin: I liked the way that the series was written in a way that you weren't sure for a long time whether to turst T'Pol or not. I was constantly changing my mind! :laugh:

I realise it is all part of playing a Vulcan, but Jolene Blalock really does not suit short hair. There was one episode where she had long hair as part of a disguise, and that suited her a lot better! ;)

One thing I was disappointed with is that the writers seem to have gone full-on with the British stereotype for Malcolm. Come on, not everybody from the UK is "stiff upper lip" and all that! :rolleye:

Oh, and can I just add, I hope they develop Hoshi into a bigger character. Because Linda Park is just :love:

I wonder if they are going to show all 5 series in a row, or whether they are going to break it up with something else. I hope they do show them all at once!

And maybe then go straight onto "Discovery" when they have completed showing "Enterprise"! :biggrin:

Live long and prosper! 🖖

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Two minor confessions....

Someone remind me next time I blithely volunteer to update the (possiby) longest and most complicated fan fest bio on the site that I don't know what I'm doing with even simple computer code. I keep telling myself that the mental exercise is good for the brain. Or something.

For my current studies, one of my assignments involved rather precise descriptions of people: I picked three skaters, not naming them because at least two of the descriptions I did were, ummm, probably not exactly kind. And I got a very very good grade, which is rather worrying...

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Serious question...do any of you guys follow fellow skating fans on Twitter?

I have the most unbelievable talent of following people who turn out to be completely opposite to me in taste and favourites.

And I never realise until I'm scrolling along and find them being all "(Insert my fave here) is an overscored hack and probably paying off judges too".

As you can imagine I just WTF at this and have absolutely no idea how to respond since telling them off when I'm the one following them seems rather rude.

So like...how do I find more like-minded persons? I have no trouble with finding people with like-minded (or least not stunningly offensive) political or social views. I'm just really terrible when it comes to skating fans!

Apple1078

Final Flight

I have the most unbelievable talent of following people who turn out to be completely opposite to me in taste and favourites.

And I never realise until I'm scrolling along and find them being all "(Insert my fave here) is an overscored hack and probably paying off judges too".

As you can imagine I just WTF at this and have absolutely no idea how to respond since telling them off when I'm the one following them seems rather rude.

So like...how do I find more like-minded persons? I have no trouble with finding people with like-minded (or least not stunningly offensive) political or social views. I'm just really terrible when it comes to skating fans!
I try not to do any fs related Twitter searches (I made that mistake a couple of times) and don't really follow skaters or fans either. I find Twitter too toxic when it comes to most things, fs included. I'd lose my mind if I were a skater and I hope they stay away from it.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
1. I kind of want someone to write a YOI spinoff called Yayoi on Ice based off of Akiko Suzuki's career.
2. every time I hear the song Audition from La La Land, I think it's about committing suicide.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
True confession -- On Easter last year, my area was one month into a Stay At Home order. I remember thinking "Oh well, this will be over by summer." No one celebrated Easter last year! Posting this special cake in honor of everyone's resilience. Yes, we have made it through what was a nightmare of a year for many. There IS light at the end of the tunnel! Happy Easter!
Lamb Cake.jpg

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Since none of the sports that I follow were on over the weekend, I took the opportunity to catch up on some of the skating streams that I had partially watched at the time, but hadn't finished.

The motivation behind this is that I finally ordered a laptop last week. And, in preparation for it arriving, I realised I needed to tidy up the bookmarks on my desktop before exporting them to file to put onto the laptop. And as part of this, I started watching these videos so that I could delete their bookmarks.

I started by watching the last 6 skaters from the Cup Of Russia Men's SP (I had watched up to the end of the Group 2 Warm-Up at the time). Then I finished off the Sofia Trophy Day 1 livestream by watching the Senior Ladies SP and Senior Men's SP (I had watched the earlier segments at the time).

After this, I decided to go back to the Cup of Russia and watched the Short Dance, and then started into the Pairs SP. As usual, I was reading the competition threads in sync with what I was watching. When I reached the Group 2 Warm-Up, there was a conversation going on between a few members, and I saw a comment from @elektra blue and I thought "that sounds familiar. In fact, I think I replied to a post like that at some stage".

Then I started wondering. Was it that post that I had replied to? So, I went through the rest of the thread to see if I had any more posts. And, sure enough, I had posted a reply to it at the end of the thread!

It was only then that the significance of something I had read at the start of the thread hit me. I had a posted a second post at the start of the segment which said that I might play catch-up on the Pairs instead of watching the Ladies, because I was scoring the Pairs in the Predictions Game that week. So, I must have done it, and forgotten.

I remembered I had watched up to Kolyada in the Men's SP, and all of both of the Ladies segments. But, I hadn't remembered that I had watched the Pairs as well! :drama:

I'm an idiot!

Well, at least it was only half an hour that I had accidentally re-watched.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
you're getting old :LOL:

Speak for yourself! You’re only a year younger than me!

Actually, your comment leads on nicely to something I have been meaning to post for a few weeks, but was taking a while to get back to. So, I’ll post it now!

On the Monday before Worlds, I had a dream about my skating crush. Admittedly, I can’t remember what it was about, but I do know what prompted it. It wasn’t that she was competing in Worlds, because she wasn’t. It was because of a scene in that Monday night’s episode of “Coronation Street”.

So, just a bit of background to set the scene. Over the previous few weeks, there has been a chemistry developing between mechanic Tyrone Dobbs and Alina Pop, the gorgeous young Romanian girl that works in sales at the local factory.

Alina wanted to move out of the flat she shared with her ex and his new girlfriend, but couldn’t afford the rent. So, neighbour Tyrone said that he and his wife could take her in as a lodger. But, in the weeks since then, an attraction developed between them.

They kissed a couple of weeks ago, and Tyrone was wracked with guilt afterwards. His wife, Fiz (her name is actually Fiona), noticed that he was acting strange, and worked out that it had something to do with Alina.

Here is a transcript of part of the ensuing argument.

Fiz: “Oh, I’m such a mug…”
Tyrone: “Fiz, you’re not”
Fiz: “Oh, all that time she was here, prancing around in her little towel, leaving her dental floss underwear everywhere. And you looking at her like…”
Tyrone: “Fiz, I wasn’t”
Fiz: “…some pathetic middle-aged bloke”.
[Tyrone sits down]
Fiz: “Ah. That’s what this is, isn’t it? You’re having a mid-life crisis. Why don’t you buy a sports car or, I don’t know, take up cycling or something? Instead of lusting after a girl half your age.”
Tyrone: “It’s only 15 years difference.”
Fiz: “Oh. Given it some thought, then?”
[Long pause]
Fiz: “15 years? Well, I mean it’s nothing, really, is it? No. Whatever’s good for the likes of Leonardo di Caprio is good for Tyrone Dobbs, isn’t it?”
[Tyrone sighs]
Fiz: “It’s sad, you know that. You know it’s sad, really sad because she won’t give you the time of day”.
Tyrone: “Yeah, well that’s where you’re wrong”.​

He then told her about the kiss, and it became a big argument.

Anyway, hearing this conversation shook me, because I am 3 years younger than Tyrone, and my skating crush is 15 years younger than me.

Is that how people look upon me for having a crush on a 20 year old skater? That it is a mid-life crisis?!

Surely you can’t have a “mid-life crisis” when you’re in your 30’s! Like, surely somebody in their 30’s is still classed as being young, rather than middle aged.

Then, a few days later, I saw a story in the newspaper about when middle age starts (it can be read here). And it said that middle age starts at 47.

But, it was accompanied by a checklist of 50 signs that you are middle aged (which are not in the website version of the story). And I ticked off nearly all of them! There were only 2 or 3 that didn’t apply!

:eek:

@elektra blue – it looks like you were right all along. We ARE old!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yesterday, I finally watched a film that I have wanted to see for donkey's years.

I was really looking forward to watching it, mainly because it has an absolutely brilliant soundtrack recorded by my favourite band of all time. And I knew that there were some really great actors in it.

And my verdict?

It is the worst film I have ever watched! :eek:

The story was awful. The acting was awful. The visual effects were awful. The music was the only good thing about it! :drama:

The guy playing the title character just can't act. And the leading lady wasn't much better. Now I know why I had never heard tell of either of them. The great actors that I was talking about were wasted in their roles. Why they agreed to get involved with it I will never understand!

Mind you, I did discover a really cute Italian actress - Ornella Muti. :love:

(Yes, I know she is not 25 any more. But, seeing her now as a 64 year old, she has aged very well. Sophia Loren isn't the only glamorous Italian Nonna, you know! :agree: )

What is the film I am talking about?

"Flash Gordon"

Now I am even more happy that another guy who was in my class when we were at school got that nickname rather than me! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Fast forward a year and a quarter, and it's happened again. I've watched a film that I've wanted to see for years because of it's brilliant soundtrack, and I didn't enjoy it. :drama:

It wasn't Queen this time, but another band that I really love. There was another difference too. l was always under the impression that, like Queen with "Flash Gordon", the boys from the IOM did the entire soundtrack. So I was surprised to find that there was also music from other artists on this film. But they were songs I always loved too, so I'm not complaining!

And it wasn't that the film was awful. I just didn't like it. The story wasn't really my kind of thing. You couldn't like any of the characters. Especially the main character - he loved himself too much. And they were far too crude.

Admittedly, the cast did put on a great performance, especially when it came to the dancing. So, along with the music, that was another saving grace.

What is the film I am talking about this time?

"Saturday Night Fever"

Getting back to "Flash Gordon", the classic films channel that I am addicted to has started showing classic children's TV shows on Saturday mornings. And one of the things they showed was the series "Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe" (1940), which finished a few days ago. Although the sets, spaceships, and the costumes of the aliens were even more basic than the 1980 film, I actually enjoyed this series much more than the film.

The only disappointment is that this was Series 3, and they didn't show Series 1 ("Flash Gordon", from 1936) and Series 2 ("Flash Gordon's Trip To Mars", from 1938) beforehand.

CaroLiza_fan

Amei

Record Breaker

I think the best advice that I can give in regards to Twitter is to delete and avoid the dumpster fire. It really just specializes in highlighting the worst of people.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think the best advice that I can give in regards to Twitter is to delete and avoid the dumpster fire. It really just specializes in highlighting the worst of people.
You're not wrong there...at least figure skating-wise. Every so often I get a masochistic urge to look up Plushy there... It's a parade of hatred on the scale of the Macy's Thanksgiving one. I think I might actually get a more nuanced view of a serial killer if I looked them up.

Figure Skating Twitter is actually the worst.