2017 U.S. Nationals Novice Ladies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Novice Ladies

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well well, Hanna Harrell has pulled herself up to 6th--nice job, Hanna! And after skipping intermediate too! :O

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Wow Alysa Liu got hit by a lot of underrotation calls. Attempted 7 triples, but 6 were UR.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RESULTS NOVICE LADIES FREESKATE

95.05 56.64 38.91 0.50 Ting CUI 2a+3t, 3z↓, 3f, 2a+1lo+3s, 3s, 3t+2t
94.53 57.59 37.94 1.00 Angelina HUANG 3lo, 3z+1lo<<+3s, 3f!+2t, 3f!, 3z+2t, 2a, time
87.45 54.71 33.74 1.00 Hanna HARRELL 3z+1t+2lo, 3z, 2a+3t, 3f↓, 3f+2t, 3s↓
84.42 48.30 36.12 0.00 Pooja KALYAN 3f!, 3z+2t-so, 3s, 3f!+rep saved, 2a, 3t+2t
83.42 49.42 35.00 1.00 Alyssa RICH 3t, 3f, 3z, 3s<+2t+2lo, 3t-hd+2t, 2a+2lo, time
82.79 49.78 33.01 0.00 Alysa LIU 3z+3t<, 3f!<+1lo+3s<, 3lo<, 3z<, 3f+2t, 2a
78.19 46.51 33.18 1.50 Isabella MILLER 3t+3t, 3lo↓, 2a+1lo+3s, 3s+2t, 2z, 2a, time
75.80 42.69 33.61 0.50 Audrey SHIN 3z!+3t<, 2a, 3f<+2t+2lo, 3lo<, 3z!<<↓, 3f<
72.56 38.65 33.91 0.00 Iliana SHERMAN 3t<, 3lo+2t, 3s<+1t, 3lo, 3s<-fo, 2a+1lo+2s
67.35 36.40 31.45 0.50 Emma COPPESS 3lo+2t, 1f!, 3t^2a, 3t+2t, 3lo<, 3s<↓
65.89 37.44 28.95 0.50 Lily SUN 3s+2t, 3t+2t+2lo, 1lo, 3s<↓, 3t, 2a^2a
59.74 31.60 29.64 1.50 Analise GONZALEZ 3ze↓, 3f!↓, 3s, 3f<↓+rep, 2a+2t+1lo<<, 2a

FINAL STANDINGS NOVICE LADIES

1 Angelina HUANG 143.19 2 2
2 Ting CUI 142.68 3 1
3 Pooja KALYAN 131.77 5 4
4 Alysa LIU 131.68 1 6
5 Alyssa RICH 130.89 4 5
6 Hanna HARRELL 126.69 10 3
7 Isabella MILLER 121.45 8 7
8 Iliana SHERMAN 117.72 6 9
9 Audrey SHIN 115.92 9 8
10 Emma COPPESS 110.79 7 10
11 Lily SUN 102.37 12 11
12 Analise GONZALEZ 97.45 11 12

Last edited:

luckyguy

Match Penalty
I guess Huang and Cui are now candidates for the JGP in the next season? Or is it already reserved for the Junior ladies?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I guess Huang and Cui are now candidates for the JGP in the next season? Or is it already reserved for the Junior ladies?

It's not really reserved for anyone. Any of the age-eligible girls have a chance. There's no real official "candidates list". It'll heavily depend on how many total spots are earned at Junior Worlds, though. But doing well here does put their names in the mix, should they move up.

frida80

Record Breaker
I didn't know Raf was Audrey Shin's coach :confused:

What!? Now I have to really follow this girl because he's going to fix those jumps! Alll those under rotations were inexcusable. But I know Rafael can fix those leg wraps of hers. :yay:

frida80

Record Breaker

They're both going to go to Spring Gardena in April because they won gold and silver. That's the tradition for novice girls. Next year USFSA going to take a look at summer competition and decide who are the best candidates to go. The ones that score the highest are the most likely to get slots. We need the people who go to junior worlds to score in the top three countries to get 14 slots. Otherwise will be stuck with seven again. If we get 14 it's pretty likely they'll get a slot. If we get seven again, it's not looking likely. But there are several other competitions internationally that they can go to other than JGP that usfsa may send them to like Golden Bear. But I still think they're going to be getting their jackets.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

It's not really reserved for anyone. Any of the age-eligible girls have a chance. There's no real official "candidates list". It'll heavily depend on how many total spots are earned at Junior Worlds, though. But doing well here does put their names in the mix, should they move up.

In general, the summer competitions will determine who will get those spots. It will be interesting to see if they give anyone two JGP spots or do the spread-the-wealth thing they did this season.

There are also JGP eligible folks at the senior ranks as well.

For reference: This season, Haley Beavers (1st in Novice in 2016; she ended up WDing from her event), Alexia Paganini (2nd), Ashley Lin (4th), Gabrielle Noullet (5th) all got a JGP spot. Starr Andrews (6th) got on the international selection pool and went to a junior international event. Sierra Venetta (3rd) was on the sub list/ISP but was not assigned a JGP.

Nina Ouellette and Ashley Kim also got JGP spots despite not qualifying from nationals thanks to solid summer competition performances. Tessa Hong also W/D from nationals, but got a spot on strength of summer comps.

In juniors, Vivian Le (2nd, WD from her event), Megan Wessenberg and Brynne McIssac skated in the JGP while some junior ladies last year-- Emily Chan, Paige Rydberg -- did Senior Bs.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2017/24267/SEGM030.html

Novice Ladies protocals. Lots of URs. Perhaps, this is a good sign. Clearly, after years of senior skaters with URs....perhaps they're working on correcting bad technique now.

Who's "they" who are working on correcting bad technique now? The skaters? If so, wouldn't we be seeing fewer underrotations, not more?

Or the technical panels, sending messages by being harsher on underrotations at lower levels?

I suspect that the main reason for seeing more URs is that because of the bonus the skaters are trying more triples, more difficult triples, and more triple-triple combos than a couple of years ago. At that time, if an underrotation was almost guaranteed and downgrade a significant risk, it was strategically wiser to do a good double. Now with the bonus, if you're pretty sure the jump will get < (or no call) and not <<, it can be worth more points than the good double. More incentive to put those jumps out in competition while they're still works in progress, as long as they've progressed beyond likely downgrades and/or likely falls.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Who's "they" who are working on correcting bad technique now? The skaters? If so, wouldn't we be seeing fewer underrotations, not more?

Or the technical panels, sending messages by being harsher on underrotations at lower levels?

I suspect that the main reason for seeing more URs is that because of the bonus the skaters are trying more triples, more difficult triples, and more triple-triple combos than a couple of years ago. At that time, if an underrotation was almost guaranteed and downgrade a significant risk, it was strategically wiser to do a good double. Now with the bonus, if you're pretty sure the jump will get < (or no call) and not <<, it can be worth more points than the good double. More incentive to put those jumps out in competition while they're still works in progress, as long as they've progressed beyond likely downgrades and/or likely falls.

They being the technical panel.

You make great points and I agree. I think the bonus does make it worth attempting the 3-3 and it helps them get competition feedback.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
By US standards, alot of girls with potential will have the opportunity to throw their names in the hat for JGP spots next year. It generally becomes a bottleneck right after Nationals as you have some Sr skaters still eligible, some Jr competitors who look good (by US standards) and some decent Novice skaters moving up.

The first thing to look at is who is age eligible, min 13 y.o. The next step is who has strong, consistent triples and all around promise (not necessarily competing at Nationals but is looked at favorably by the USFS as an athlete who can be groomed for future success). If a skater meets these 2 initial screens, they will be invited to attend ISP camp in CO. This is where they can individually showcase their talent to many USFS personnel. From here, they will have to meet the minimum scoring requirement in a summer competition to officially earn an ISP spot, thus making them JGP eligible. Then finally, it is up to the USFS to select the ISP skaters they believe in the most at that time to represent the US. No skater is given 2 JGP spots unless they can earn it the first time around.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
skatelikewind, you are sure knowledgeable! Sounds like you have first-hand experience!

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
You know, I just cannot convert to the belief that trying triple jumps is advantageous when you know they are UR. This, to me, is a learning process, I understand, but the high level of UR is leading me to believe that coaches are accepting it, parents cant tell the difference and the kids are simply learning bad habits. I've commented on this before, if the sole purpose of bonusing jumps is to get more kids jumping, we should leave off the bonus and put -GOE on doubles or UR jumps. Don't reward young, developing athletes who are not doing the jump "the right way", lower their scores so they are more motivated to succeed, don't help them succeed by doing the wrong thing! Making the podium at any level lower than the Sr level means nothing (competitively speaking in this sport long term) and until this is understood and embraced, mediocrity will continue and the US will lag the big 3. Sorry, just my opinion in terms of what I see happening over the years.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Not as much as some of you, but thank you for the compliment. I've been studying so many people on this board and then cross-referencing to USFSA webpage to learn as much as I can, not to mention, getting out to the events. You, as a a matter of fact, are one I've learned alot from, so thank you Mrs P :) If you're in KC would love to meet with you for a drink so to pick your brain some more :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Not as much as some of you, but thank you for the compliment. I've been studying so many people on this board and then cross-referencing to USFSA webpage to learn as much as I can, not to mention, getting out to the events. You, as a a matter of fact, are one I've learned alot from, so thank you Mrs P :) If you're in KC would love to meet with you for a drink so to pick your brain some more :)

Aw, thanks!

I wish I was there! I thought about going, but ended up booking a birthday cruise in April. I'm planning to go to San Jose, so we can do it then, if you're planning on going. :)

You know, I just cannot convert to the belief that trying triple jumps is advantageous when you know they are UR. This, to me, is a learning process, I understand, but the high level of UR is leading me to believe that coaches are accepting it, parents cant tell the difference and the kids are simply learning bad habits. I've commented on this before, if the sole purpose of bonusing jumps is to get more kids jumping, we should leave off the bonus and put -GOE on doubles or UR jumps. Don't reward young, developing athletes who are not doing the jump "the right way", lower their scores so they are more motivated to succeed, don't help them succeed by doing the wrong thing! Making the podium at any level lower than the Sr level means nothing (competitively speaking in this sport long term) and until this is understood and embraced, mediocrity will continue and the US will lag the big 3. Sorry, just my opinion in terms of what I see happening over the years.

I agree that the bonus should not apply to UR jumps. That seems to be a flaw in the rule. That say, I think it's an improvement from a few years ago when URs were overlooked entirely and skaters with flawed technique went up the ranks.

Last edited:

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
I wish I was there! I thought about going, but ended up booking a birthday cruise in April. I'm planning to go to San Jose, so we can do it then, if you're planning on going. :)

Well happy early birthday to you! Looking out 52 weeks I'm not certain but it should be a go. Been to 8 of the last 11 so trying to make it to 10 before I die ;) I'll just tell my wife I'm meeting Mrs. P for some coffee and 18 holes at S. By then hopefully I can gain some more knowledge, catch up to you with 15k+posts so I don't embarras myself :)

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Wow Alysa Liu got hit by a lot of underrotation calls. Attempted 7 triples, but 6 were UR.

Were they really under-rotated? She rotates so fast, it looks like she's doubling it. I hope she grows taller. She's only 11. Judges are making her really work for it, I think it's a good thing.